Page 23 of 70 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm having trouble seeing how the roster cap math can possibly work to do all these things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shows how much MLS rosters are built on a wing and a prayer. Here we are picking up centre halves, possibly drafting centre halves, etc, and all planning all of a sudden goes out the window when the possibility of a EPL quality centre half becomes unavailable. Nature of the league I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steven Goff ‏@SoccerInsider Lot of moving parts in the Ryan Nelsen situation, I'm told, and Toronto FC in the running #tfc #mls

Steven Goff ‏@SoccerInsider IF it happens, guessing player/coach (Payne did it for Wolff) RT @jimmyconrad: Is Nelsen coming back to MLS to play, coach or player-coach?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our possible roster of defensemen for 2013 could be: Doneil Henry, Logan (woops) Emory, Danny Califf, Ryan Nelsen, Ashtone Morgan, Richard Eckersley, Gale Agbossoumonde, Darren O'Dea.

Can we shop Jeremy Hall around now? I don't see him being required.
    Last edited by West220Side; 01-04-2013 at 10:41 AM. Reason: fixed "Logan Morgan"

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by West220Side View Post
    God it just keeps getting better Nelsen coming on as a player-coach & possibly a full time experienced coach in the future. That would 100% shore up our defense for the season, then we could focus on midfield and forward problems. Which are already starting to be addressed with the draft & Peralta/Lopez. Can't wait for Montreal as it is. I'm trying not to get excited.
    having Nelsen as a player would have same effect as Nesta did for Mtl. quality positioning and organization of defence, but gets overrun by speed and having teammates being caught in a counter attack
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by West220Side View Post
    Our possible roster of defensemen for 2013 could be: Doneil Henry, Logan Emory, Danny Califf, Ryan Nelsen, Ashtone Morgan, Richard Eckersley, Gale Agbossoumonde, Darren O'Dea.

Can we shop Jeremy Hall around now? I don't see him being required.
    FYP.

On paper, even without Nelsen, it does seem to be the most competent group of defenders we've ever had. The only question is whether or not they can develop the right chemistry on the pitch.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    FYP.

On paper, even without Nelsen, it does seem to be the most competent group of defenders we've ever had. The only question is whether or not they can develop the right chemistry on the pitch.
    well, I'd like to fuse a couple of them... like O'Dea with Boss's speed lol
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to my source, Ryan Nelson is, indeed, coming to Toronto FC, due to the Kevin Payne link.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcmanu View Post
    Steven Goff ‏@SoccerInsider Lot of moving parts in the Ryan Nelsen situation, I'm told, and Toronto FC in the running #tfc #mls

Puts more intrigue on the situation... Suggests additional moves for TFC?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post
    According to my source, Ryan Nelson is, indeed, coming to Toronto FC, due to the Kevin Payne link.
    How can we sign any International players with no spot's available, I do not even know if there's a slot for Arnold Peralta.

Stefan Frei 26 6' 3" 195 Switzerland
    Torsten Frings 36 5' 11" 170 Germany
    Richard Eckersley 23 6' 169 England
    Eric Hassli 31 6' 4" 200 France
    Danny Koevermans 34 6' 3" 175 Netherlands
    Reggie Lambe 21 5' 7" 151 Bermuda
    Joao Plata 20 5' 2" 135 Ecuador
    Darren O'Dea 25 6' 1" 180 Ireland

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And O'dea is an OVERATED player who takes up 400k. and an INT spot.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andmat View Post
    How can we sign any International players with no spot's available, I do not even know if there's a slot for Arnold Peralta.
    I think we still have one additional spot due to a past trade.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jesus probably couldn't fix TFC defence last season under Mariner, let alone O'Dea

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I think we still have one additional spot due to a past trade.
    Let say we have one Then it For Arnold Peralta that's 9 spot's Not sure if any player has a green card, so still Full

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought Frei has his Green Card?
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If TFC FO isn't working on getting a permanent residency card for Frei and Hassli, if they don't have one already, I'd be surprised

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty good chance Nelson has green card given he went to university in US and was with DC for awhile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

O'Dea's salary is 400k but his cap hit is actually 330K. It's still 100K too much for a quality starting CB in MLS, but I also think he is capable of playing at a higher level than that which he displayed in a limited sample size of games last season while the club was in a death spiral.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So fry has a green card? and Hassli might have one, so that 7 spots we got available Includeing Arnold 8 if Hassli does not have a green card.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    If TFC FO isn't working on getting a permanent residency card for Frei and Hassli, if they don't have one already, I'd be surprised
    Exactly. Not to mention that one or more of our current international players might be traded/released/bought out. When all the dust settles, I'm confident Payne will ensure roster compliance by opening day to accomodate any additional international signings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think O'dea will more more worth of his money after he gets a full offseason training. Would nelson come back to coach here or as a player?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone know if Eric Hassli wife Canadian? If so he should have a green card

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's not coming here as a player.

He's coming here as a second coach, or perhaps a player coach. All I know is, he's coming to Toronto FC to work with Mariner in some capacity.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I asked Frei on twitter if he is a domestic. ..he got back to me just now. He has a green card.....debate ended....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hassli's wife is American. I can't see Mariner lasting too long if Nelson is coming on board. Regarding Nelson, he looks too slow for the Premiership this season but you can't deny his effort, heart and leadership skills on the field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How can we sign any International players with no spot's available, I do not even know if there's a slot for Arnold Peralta
    On this note, I think MLS should tweak the international rules to if a player is signed out of College than they should be an exception, because they are a product of the american system, which would exclude players like Frei.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ageroo View Post
    I asked Frei on twitter if he is a domestic. ..he got back to me just now. He has a green card.....debate ended....
    LOL, gotta love teh interwebs...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Stick View Post
    Hassli's wife is American. I can't see Mariner lasting too long if Nelson is coming on board. Regarding Nelson, he looks too slow for the Premiership this season but you can't deny his effort, heart and leadership skills on the field.
    So Hassli has a green card(Got Maried in Vegas to some American), and so does fry, So right now we got 6 International players on current Roster 7 with Arnold Peralta.
    Arnold Peralta Honduras

So we got 1 International spot Available, No one knows for sure if we got 1 extra International spot from a trade.
    Last edited by andmat; 01-04-2013 at 01:16 PM.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post
    He's not coming here as a player.

He's coming here as a second coach, or perhaps a player coach. All I know is, he's coming to Toronto FC to work with Mariner in some capacity.
    Fuck me, player-coach? A 35-year-old defender? I sure as shit hope not. Even Frings admitted in his recent German interview that the guys over here are fast and can run like racehorses. What does an over-the-hill defender hope to accomplish? He has depth in MLS from his previous time at DCU, but I'd much prefer him to stay on the sidelines as a defensive coach or somesuch, rather than suiting up in kit and getting burned by younger attackers.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh. So Nelsen is not coming in as a head coach. I posted in another thread that I thought he would make for a poor addition as a head coach but since he is not, I'd be a lot happier to have him on. He would make an excellent assistant coach. His mls and premier league experience would help out the young guys tremendously.