Page 20 of 70 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    Huh? Did we ever get Swedish players?
    I don't think we have ever had a swede.

He may have been referring to the rumours from earlier in the off-season where Marinier alluded to being close to a few Scandinavians from his scouting trip to Sweden.

Pretty sure they fell through because of how much the players would have cost.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@MLSTransfers says both TFC and New England interested in Honduran international David Molina. Wikipedia lists him as a defender who has been with Motagua (Guevara's club) since 2006 making nearly 100 appearances. Age: 24.

If we don't sign him, it's a good sign that we're looking at players 1) we actually need and 2) are entering the prime of their careers. This is not to mention the traditional line of thinking that players from these parts of the world cost less as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Molina

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    seems every honduran player is now linked to MLS
    MLS is doing a hell of a lot more for Concacaf teams like Honduras, than it is for the USMNT or CMNT. There's going to be an uproar about just what MLS is dong if Honduras qualify for WC2014 and USA don't
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kuku View Post
    Check out the front page of this newspaper in Honduras: http://ediciones.tiempo.hn/index.php/home
    Google translate did not do well, but I figure our pool of candidates has increased due to the economico colapso.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    Huh? Did we ever get Swedish players?

He's referring to going after Mellberg. Not really "getting" him or any Swedish players but trying to.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    MLS is doing a hell of a lot more for Concacaf teams like Honduras, than it is for the USMNT or CMNT. There's going to be an uproar about just what MLS is dong if Honduras qualify for WC2014 and USA don't
    It's not like USA doesn't have the talent to qualify, that's simply on Jurgen and the squad if they don't, not MLS.

If not MLS, they'd find other places to play. I think it puts pressure on Canada and USA to improve their national development, competition demands further effort. Nothing hurts Mexico/USA more than having nobody to really test them until they get to the WC itself.

As much as I despise the Honduran scum, I'm all for them coming to MLS and improving the league quality, while forcing the USA/Canada teams to get their shit together or be further embarrassed by this tiny nation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

David Rowaan (@soccercanada) from Waking the Red reports about Krzysztof Krol hinting at a return to MLS and specifically, Toronto.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krzysztof_Kr%C3%B3l

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
    David Rowaan (@soccercanada) from Waking the Red reports about Krzysztof Krol hinting at a return to MLS and specifically, Toronto.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krzysztof_Król
    He did this last year too. Seems like an ongoing New Years eve joke to him. Wish the rest of us understood the punchline.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was going to say - and really this isn't on TFC, it's on the CSA - it's farcical how much more Honduras is benefiting more from this league than we are.

But hey, I guess that's what happens when you have a league that can actually serve to develop players that can then take the next step. Probably the same issue with the USSF pyramid as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    It's not like USA doesn't have the talent to qualify, that's simply on Jurgen and the squad if they don't, not MLS.

If not MLS, they'd find other places to play. I think it puts pressure on Canada and USA to improve their national development, competition demands further effort. Nothing hurts Mexico/USA more than having nobody to really test them until they get to the WC itself.
    Well I think that's the thing, has the USSF pressed the MLS hard enough and is the MLS pulling it's weight?

The issue right now with soccer in north america is that nobody wants to actually develop the talent. MLS - at least partially - has some warped sense of what's necessary from looking at other professional leagues that basically get their players developed for free. I don't think they've yet been able to accept that in the type of environment they operate in nobody is going to provide them with a free lunch.

If we continue on as we are, it's always going to be a situation where the majority of the domestics provide the hard work and the imports provide the skill. Think we can do a little bit better.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I was going to say - and really this isn't on TFC, it's on the CSA - it's farcical how much more Honduras is benefiting more from this league than we are.

But hey, I guess that's what happens when you have a league that can actually serve to develop players that can then take the next step. Probably the same issue with the USSF pyramid as well.
    That's really the key. Honduras has dozens of pro clubs with an organized league structure. Players can develop and then move on to better leagues like the MLS or elsewhere. Canada's primary pipeline for developing talent is 3 professional academies that are in their infancy and 4 professional clubs.

I would disagree with ensco that MLS is doing more for Honduras than USA. The States are clearly benefiting greatly from the MLS, NCAA, and NASL. They have a system for players to develop, and flawed as it is, still has been producing talent that has made USA a lock for every World Cup.

Because MLS was designed to serve USSF's interests, it really falls on the three Canadian clubs to take the initiative on developing Canadian talent. Unfortunately they've tried their best to remove any incentive to do just that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this article lays it out pretty nicely. Obviously it's hard to be definitive, but imho, while the US benefit from MLS, other Concacaf countries are benefitting more.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...-national-team
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Competition is good, allows for others to step their game up or look for work elsewhere.

CSA is still a mess, they cant expect the 3 Canadian mls teams to develop players for them.

It boggles the mind how they cant atleast just copy a simple proven system for elsewhere.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've read that article and it boils down to this: MLS serves as the goal for other CONCACAF countries while US players use it as a stepping stone to European leagues. In that sense yes MLS has more non-US internationals, but you can't ignore the players who started in MLS and moved on to better leagues. According the article 9 of the starting US 11 in the Jamaica game had MLS experience. Clearly the league is doing its job. Top US players can use MLS to gain exposure and move to Europe while the MLS-level talent still get their opportunities domestically.

No doubt other CONCACAF countries including Canada are benefiting from MLS. But it's not at the expense of the US. The roster rules are set up to give American players a big advantage.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    Because MLS was designed to serve USSF's interests, it really falls on the three Canadian clubs to take the initiative on developing Canadian talent. Unfortunately they've tried their best to remove any incentive to do just that.
    I'm pretty sure Canadian teams would rather win MLS Cups than develop Canadian talent
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigredone View Post
    Google translate did not do well, but I figure our pool of candidates has increased due to the economico colapso.
    http://translate.google.ca/translate...5917--spt.html

Honduran league in crisis. Pretty much fire sale going on right now. Article pretty much confirms Peralta to TFC
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I'm pretty sure Canadian teams would rather win MLS Cups than develop Canadian talent
    Agreed. But ideally they'd use Canadian talent to win MLS Cups. With the quota what it is, there's less incentive for Canadian teams to develop local talent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    Agreed. But ideally they'd use Canadian talent to win MLS Cups. With the quota what it is, there's less incentive for Canadian teams to develop local talent.
    Exactly. Lets not forget that the major business reason for local content is so that fans build a greater connection with the team, something that was seen as a major obstacle with the NASL.

To me, if this a middle of the road professional league can't eventually up the domestic content quotient in Canada it's got no enduring quality. I can understand the need to be accommodating in the early going but in the long run things have to be better. Really we're not talking about producing world beaters here or saving the CSA's bacon on LTPD, it's about putting a handful of Canadians on the field with the foreign players to really get a local team we can be proud of.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://rednationonline.ca/Articles20...rposition.aspx

Doneil Henry's new contract is till 2016

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am having to do a great amount of connection building with some of the recent signings. I agree with what is said above entirely and hope our local boys can kick the shit out of other local Canadian boys. (sorry, that last line was a measuring contest

GREAT NEWS WITH HENRY!!!! FUCK YA!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Come the summer about 100 top flight players in England will be out of contract. A few of them have been rumored to be coming to the MLS already (some confirmed)

Players like... Carlo Cudicini, Richard Dunne.

Also, Simeon Jacksons contract expires around that time too, boys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd take Plata and Jackson, as for the rest, I wouldn't risk anything more than an average MLS wage, top flight leftovers are still leftovers for a reason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lets get this thread back on track boys.

This seems like it would be a good pickup, and if the teams NEED money, then we could have gotten a great deal on him.

Although I dislike the Honduran team for that embarrassing game, If they have players that can come over here and improve my club team, I will accept them with open arms.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm on a "white knight carebear crusade"! Too funny. You have a way with words, I'll give you that!

There is a massive difference in saying you "hate" the Impact or Vancouver teams, or even their players, and saying you hate "Hondurans" (or any other nationality) even if you clarify only after being called on it that you only mean footballers

You are damn lucky we live in a country where hate speech is protected.
    I didn't want to respond but if you're going to continue to paint an entirely incorrect picture about me personally....

This is a football site! Did I have to be so clear? You choose to put words in my mouth AFTER I answered Dom's clarification request that it was about international football. Go ahead, look, it's just 3 posts above to follow the timeline.

This conversation never had anything to do with you and you mucked up your attempt at being a keyboard hero. /truestory

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are damn lucky we live in a country where hate speech is protected.
    Holy fuck. Where was I when not liking players from a hated rival became referred to as "hate speech"? Do you accuse Tottenham fans of hate speech for not liking Arsenal players/fans, or vice versa? Or Barcelona fans for hating Real Madrid players and vice versa? And the list goes on for pretty much any two rival teams
    Last edited by Ajax TFC; 01-01-2013 at 02:04 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I'm talking about what he wrote originally, not where he moved to, or what you are saying here. There is an obvious difference when this language is used with reference to clubs, and using it for nationalities.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Because I consider Honduran footballers scum you're going to assume all this nonsense?

How dramatically ridiculous. I'm not getting carried away, you are.

I don't give a shit about Honduran footballers, never will. Get over it or ban me from the site. They are my country's hated rival, but I'm being scolded for hating them? LOL.

I have nothing to apologize for, this is football.
    ryan,
    how about not using such a broad brush.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how about all of you shut the hell up and take your internet fighting to PM so i don't come in to check this thread for actual player movement information and end up stuck reading a useless bitch fest. this is the same problem that plagued last season's player movement thread. your arguments ARE NOT RELEVANT TO THE THREAD TOPIC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I'm talking about what he wrote originally, not where he moved to, or what you are saying here. There is an obvious difference when this language is used with reference to clubs, and using it for nationalities.
    I don’t know if I’d go with xenophobia as much as comically misplaced hatred in the eye of some homer sports fan. Have our rivals really done much to us to inspire this level of passion or is it really just a another way for us to express our frustration at our own ineptitude?

I was at BMO field for the Honduras game. I yelled obscenities at the away team until my voice was gone. When the game was over, it was over. Am I going to begrudge some guy from their nat team who wants to play for TFC? Not a chance, he just wants to make it as a professional like everyone else and he could help our team. It’s just one more international on our squad.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I don’t know if I’d go with xenophobia as much as comically misplaced hatred in the eye of some homer sports fan.
    That's a good point. I'll hope thats true.

I just don't feel like letting it slide when someone labels a whole nationality "scum", which is where this started. Then tries to explain that it's just football, as though it being about football somehow excuses it.