Page 13 of 70 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    True. Just getting super tired of this story line happening over and over again.
    Why would a player want to come back to MLS and join TFC given its recent history?

If TFC were to get its house in order, they might be able to attract someone.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The money is already gone.

When you go to a movie, having paid 15 bucks, and 20 minutes in, you decide the movie is crap, what's the move? Leave, or stay and waste two hours?

Most people get this wrong.

You have to really believe Frings is still a good player to want to keep him. Not an OK player. Not "let's give it a few games" because the cap space isn't freed if you do that.

You are paying him either way.
    It depends. If it's a double feature and the second movie is good, it's worth waiting through the crap. Happened to me once, and the second movie made waiting through the first horrible one worthwhile.

For a player, if Frings' play picks up after his surgery, many people here will be singing another tune.
    Of course, I'm biased.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soccerpro View Post
    Why would a player want to come back to MLS and join TFC given its recent history?

If TFC were to get its house in order, they might be able to attract someone.
    Yeah, I think that's still an issue. It's one thing to be bad, a la Chivas, but it's another to be bad and in a state of constant flux. Puts players in a position of signing with a poor team, not getting anywhere, and then being subject to a new coach that isn't vested in them as a player.

But I think this will eventually work its way out providing Payne provides us with some stability.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm depressed. I've been reading a profile on Diskerud in ESPN Insider (can't provide a link, it's behind a paywall). Guys like this (22 years old, off a breakthrough season at Rosenborg) have NEVER come into MLS before.

We cannot make the allocation system work for us. We were fourth last year and the slot died on the vine. Bocanegra chose La Liga 2 over TFC.

This is going to take a long time. Payne is no miracle worker.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm depressed. I've been reading a profile on Diskerud in ESPN Insider (can't provide a link, it's behind a paywall). Guys like this (22 years old, off a breakthrough season at Rosenborg) have NEVER come into MLS before.

We cannot make the allocation system work for us. We were fourth last year and the slot died on the vine. Bocanegra chose La Liga 2 over TFC.

Way more about Porter than TFC. If it was Chicago or SKC in the top spot he would have passed them over too.

Well, probably. He knows Porter and he'll know what he's getting into there. I don't think he was looking just to come into MLS. Could have easily got a slot somewhere in Europe but starting minutes might have been a question. Klinsmann is getting more picky about US players getting minutes to get call ups and playing for Porter at Portland likely was his best bet to ensure that.
    Last edited by Detroit_TFC; 12-13-2012 at 03:57 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    Way more about Porter than TFC. If it was Chicago or SKC in the top spot he would have passed them over too.

Well, probably. He knows Porter and he'll know what he's getting into there. I don't think he was looking just to come into MLS. Could have easily got a slot somewhere in Europe but starting minutes might have been a question. Klinsmann is getting more picky about US players getting minutes to get call ups and playing for Porter at Portland likely was his best bet to ensure that.
    another sign of league's growth when a young up and comer choose MLS over mid level European league
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post

Well, probably. He knows Porter and he'll know what he's getting into there.
    Maybe. Who knows.

Mostly guys do not refuse to sign with the team that has the allocation slot. Except us I guess.

The signalling is terrible. You can see here that the FO is trying to quash this - they just want to say they passed on the guy. Who would want a 23 year old USMNT player in a position we desperately need to fill anyway?

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/co...tion-selection
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andrew Wiedeman and Jeremy Hall are off the MLS Re-entry draft list:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...-draft-stage-2

http://blogs.canoe.ca/reds/sports/to...raft-cochrane/

Looks like they are renegotiating with TFC management. A deal could be happening, but for a major salary cut.

I would not keep either of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jeremy Hall and Andrew Wiedeman might be returning to TFC next season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't blame any player for not wanting to come here. We need to undo the damage that has been done to our reputation (of being snakes). Hopefully Payne is a start on that. We need to stop the revolving door of players and managers. We need to stop changing our focus on style of play. We need to start winning, we need to start playing competent football. We need the stands full again and we need an atmosphere that players will want to play in again.

So yes, I agree - it's going to take a long time.

Once that is all fixed, then players returning might want to play for us. I think there will always be US players that want to go home and play in the US, not Canada, and there is nothing we can do about that though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracos View Post

I would rather have an academy player for minimum wage than these two useless clowns.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could we not bring in Kyle Porter Instead???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

I would rather have an academy player for minimum wage than these two useless clowns.
    To add to that, is there really any way someone like Wiedeman is that different from someone like Josh Janniere? -who is currently trialing with Sutherland, probably at the recommendation of Dichio who hooked him up with Colorado after we took a pass.

At the very least, we build some goodwill with our local players by keeping them in the fold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    To add to that, is there really any way someone like Wiedeman is that different from someone like Josh Janniere? -who is currently trialing with Sutherland, probably at the recommendation of Dichio who hooked him up with Colorado after we took a pass.

At the very least, we build some goodwill with our local players by keeping them in the fold.
    I agree that we should be building goodwill.

We never even gave Stefan Vukovic a shot, I know he was later release by Montreal but we could have atleast given a homegrown player chance. Im not going to pass judgment of Payne because its to soon, it may be Mariners idea as well. Last year when we had nothing to play for Stinson wasnt even given a run of games, atleast give the guy a shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We never even gave Stefan Vukovic a shot, I know he was later release by Montreal but we could have atleast given a homegrown player chance. Im not going to pass judgment of Payne because its to soon, it may be Mariners idea as well. Last year when we had nothing to play for Stinson wasnt even given a run of games, atleast give the guy a shot.
    Stinson was out for a significant period of last year with an injury including most of the last 2-3 months (quad I think). Why do people keep forgetting that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rongen said at the year end that none of the Academy kids were ready yet for going pro. Personally I would much prefer a much cheaper Weideman and Hall to come off the bench (i am definitely not going to argue they deserve many minutes).|

If nobody is ready for the jump yet, I would rather keep them down there so we don't re-live the Cordon-esque story lines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Americans just don't want to play sports in Canada, period.

I interact with many on a daily basis, their perception of the country is literally straight out of TV. The way South Park depicts Canada is a legitimate comparison to what many Americans literally think of Canada.

You have to have a legendary franchise (Toronto Maple Leafs) or a boat load of cash (Toronto Blue Jays), or else you aren't getting decent American talent up here outside of the small percentage who don't fall into what I said above.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just thought about it, but maybe none of our academy kids are ready to be brought up, and we only get 6 discovery claims, so they still maybe on our team but not for long, if they dont improve next year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just when you think TFC management aren't complete clowns, it looks like they're going to resign these two.
    FC Dallas fans were literally laughing on Big Soccer forum when they heard TFC acquired Jeremy Hall and his 100k plus salary.

Our forward line this year so far is shaping up to be:
    Old broken down Danny K and Eric Hassli, Justin Braun (who was let go by 2 different teams this past season for nothing), Wiedeman who everyone agrees isnt MLS level, Quincy Amarikwa who was waived by Colorado and then claimed by NY and sent to Toronto for a bag of balls.

How does that inspire confidence?

Nevermind that our midfield is the same as last year, a complete mess.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soccerpro View Post
    Just when you think TFC management aren't complete clowns, it looks like they're going to resign these two.
    FC Dallas fans were literally laughing on Big Soccer forum when they heard TFC acquired Jeremy Hall and his 100k plus salary.

Our forward line this year so far is shaping up to be:
    Old broken down Danny K and Eric Hassli, Justin Braun (who was let go by 2 different teams this past season for nothing), Wiedeman who everyone agrees isnt MLS level, Quincy Amarikwa who was waived by Colorado and then claimed by NY and sent to Toronto for a bag of balls.

How does that inspire confidence?

Nevermind that our midfield is the same as last year, a complete mess.
    I'd save the doom and gloom talk until pre-season... still a lot of time for TFC to work some deals and such
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Twitter, 1 hour ago:

Andrew Wiedeman ‏@awiedeman3
    Stoked to be heading back to Toronto for another season!
    I'm not stoked personally, but if the salary is decent for a backup guy, I'm not going to lose my shit either. We shall see I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    From Twitter, 1 hour ago:

I'm not stoked personally, but if the salary is decent for a backup guy, I'm not going to lose my shit either. We shall see I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wiedeman can play backup LM or RM. Why did Payne do this?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wiedemann isn't the shittest player we have ever seen at BMO by any means. So, as long as he isn't first choice or in the first 11 every week, then I'm ok with him being at the club. He's a decent backup, and he can play various positions.

I think a few of us are judging the players last season based on the fact that they ended up being "first choice" players given the injuries we had. But if Koev's and Frings were fit, there would have been no way players like Wiedemann would have played every week. I think I would have been ok with Wiedemann coming on as an 80 minute sub to see out games. And at the right plice, I would be ok if he took that roll next season. But, as I say, as long as he's not first choice, and at the right price ONLY.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most paywalls are easily defeated by turning on "private browsing" on your web browser; Firefox is particularly good for it. If you turn off all histories and cookies, you also avoid the secret "perma-cookies" that Google and others have started storing on people's computers, which stay resident even if you clear your cache.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually like Wiedeman. I think he took a lot of grief for being Mariner's boy, but he played OK. He doesn't look like a starter, but he's young, good depth. He can dribble, create on the ball, shoots OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Americans just don't want to play sports in Canada, period.

I interact with many on a daily basis, their perception of the country is literally straight out of TV. The way South Park depicts Canada is a legitimate comparison to what many Americans literally think of Canada.

You have to have a legendary franchise (Toronto Maple Leafs) or a boat load of cash (Toronto Blue Jays), or else you aren't getting decent American talent up here outside of the small percentage who don't fall into what I said above.
    It's football. Anelka is in China; Grafite is in Dubai or some place. They'll go ANYWHERE if the Benjamins are significant enough.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I actually like Wiedeman. I think he took a lot of grief for being Mariner's boy, but he played OK. He doesn't look like a starter, but he's young, good depth. He can dribble, create on the ball, shoots OK.
    I agree. He's got poacher's instinct that I can see made him a success in NCAA. I don't know what happened to him in Dallas (partially having to play in 4-5-1 system under Hyndman not suited to his skills), but for depth striker, Wiedeman is not bad.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I approached them, so I don't think they are trying to quash anything.

Bocanegra didn't turn TFC down. He was in active talks but they couldn't make the money work. I was talking to Ives yesterday and he reiterated that to me.

Duane Rollins

Maybe. Who knows.

Mostly guys do not refuse to sign with the team that has the allocation slot. Except us I guess.

The signalling is terrible. You can see here that the FO is trying to quash this - they just want to say they passed on the guy. Who would want a 23 year old USMNT player in a position we desperately need to fill anyway?

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/co...tion-selection

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Agreed. He gets a lot of flack around here because of Mariner's infamous "one of the best finishers of the modern era" quote.