Page 15 of 70 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Benficachop20 View Post
    If u want to move up the standings resigning poor players like Hall and Wiedeman isn't a good start
    What exactly do you expect to get for 40 some odd thousand bucks? Salary cap means saving cash where you can and spending low on young players in spots 18 and down is how it's done in MLS. Take a boo at the players on other teams rosters in those spots. Yeah, that's what you get. Also need I say that it's mid-December and we haven't even gotten into signings yet? It's not like these cut & resigned players were signed for less money to be the stars of the team. Keep your shirt on and start the complaining come February if we haven't got any better.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    With a clean slate, this might now be his best option to keep his career on the right track. He can be a solid contributor to a team that has no where to go but up. With a rabid and starved fan base. Hopefully he fits in well.
    He is exactly the kind of player this town usually loves. Also nice to have a more experienced voice on the backline too and from what I recall he has a pretty big mouth out there too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    What exactly do you expect to get for 40 some odd thousand bucks? Salary cap means saving cash where you can and spending low on young players in spots 18 and down is how it's done in MLS. Take a boo at the players on other teams rosters in those spots. Yeah, that's what you get. Also need I say that it's mid-December and we haven't even gotten into signings yet? It's not like these cut & resigned players were signed for less money to be the stars of the team. Keep your shirt on and start the complaining come February if we haven't got any better.
    i would agree if they were actually getting paid the league minimum but they aren't. what we did was resign 2 very poor players that i dont even consider good enough for the usl making over 100 thousand (not sure if wiedemans gen contract is up) to sit on the bench, but then again Mariner will probably start them. ur telling me we can't get better players on that salary? take ur own advice and look at the roster of other teams and see how many better players there are in this league making the same or less than hall or Wiedeman. If we continue to rely on these type of of players coming off the bench or even start for next season than yes i'm gonna complain because it leads me to believe we will have the same season as the previous 6.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would agree if they were actually getting paid the league minimum but they aren't. what we did was resign 2 very poor players that i dont even consider good enough for the usl making over 100 thousand (not sure if wiedemans gen contract is up) to sit on the bench, but then again Mariner will probably start them. ur telling me we can't get better players on that salary? take ur own advice and look at the roster of other teams and see how many better players there are in this league making the same or less than hall or Wiedeman. If we continue to rely on these type of of players coming off the bench or even start for next season than yes i'm gonna complain because it leads me to believe we will have the same season as the previous 6.
    1. we don't know what the new contract number is for Wiedeman and Hall is yet. they only had a big number on their contract because of their Generation Adidas status which was negotiated by MLS, not TFC

2. can't simply blow up the squad and expect team chemistry again. you need depth players and you need utility players that can play multiple positions in MLS. Hall and Wiedeman fits those categories. if they are signed to a 1 yr, plus team option contracts, I don't have problem with them re-signed. If they don't produce in 2013, they get the cut, and new players brought in.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with what Yohan said above but also both players took pay cuts to stay. They will both be closer to league minimum pay than $100k. And when I said look at other rosters I didn't mean to look at players are better at the old salaries of these players. I said to look at the players that fill MLS squads rosters from spot 16 and down. The pure bench players and reserves. Both of these players are decent in comparison to other teams reserves and both can play multiple positions. They are also both young enough that they may be able to improve also.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/SoccerByIves/sta...98712288268288

According to Ives, Guevara to be scouting Central America for TFC
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

If true, that is a fantastic idea! Payne would be showing a smart move here... getting away from player agents to real scouts. This is what Payne did for DC United, they were the only MLS club that had two full-time scouts in Argentina back when there were few scouts in MLS.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as much as I despise Honduran national team, that country produces some good footballers. and Guevara having so much respect in Honduran football, he should be able to find some good players and encourage them to sign for TFC. I'd be happy if TFC finds someone like Boniek Garcia from Honduras

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The roster is shaping up well.

--------------------Frei------------------
    ----Ecks-----O'Dea----Califf----Morgan---
    ------------------Frings-----------------
    ----Lambe--------Silva---------Plata-----
    ------------Hassli--------Koev-----------

Subs: Bendik, Henry, J. Hall, Dunfield, _______, Braun, Wiedeman
    Reserves: Q. Roberts, Emory, Stinson, Amarikwa

A bit disappointed that our solution for starting CB is Danny Califf, he's more of a rotation option but he's definitely an upgrade. If we're going to run with a 4-1-3-2 formation (which I personally like) I would hope we can upgrade Lambe and increase our depth at CM (as Mariner put it, a box-to-box midfielder).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DichioTFC View Post

A bit disappointed that our solution for starting CB is Danny Califf, he's more of a rotation option but he's definitely an upgrade. If we're going to run with a 4-1-3-2 formation (which I personally like) I would hope we can upgrade Lambe and increase our depth at CM (as Mariner put it, a box-to-box midfielder).

This set up would get torched! frings can`t hold the midfield by himself. In this set up he is the only tackler, at his age thats suicide .

In this type of set up he needs to be flanked by(like you mentioned) Box to box midfielders not wingers. Who we get to play LM and RM will be the most crucial signings this season imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Midfield is the real problem with our defense

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleUp View Post
    This set up would get torched! frings can`t hold the midfield by himself. In this set up he is the only tackler, at his age thats suicide .

In this type of set up he needs to be flanked by(like you mentioned) Box to box midfielders not wingers. Who we get to play LM and RM will be the most crucial signings this season imo.
    I agree,

Frings has definitely lost a stop and is not quick enough. That's why he is "diving in" to tackle. His skill is really passing and distribution into the box.

Lambe, Plata and are both very weak defensively. We need a big upgrade at both outside mid positions. Otherwise it will not matter who we are using in the back four because they will be under constant pressure and facing odd man attacks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree there's still changes to be made, that's why I said it was shaping up well.

If Plata is to be used in a strictly offensive role, there's no need to look at his defensive liabilities. The CM or DM can help out the LB if Plata is unable to defend. The bigger concern would be if a two-way player for Lambe can't be found, it would stretch the defensive side of our mid apart. I agree that Lambe is a defensive liability. A two-way RSL-type player would be great on the opposing wing.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DichioTFC View Post

No disrespect, but this squad would get eaten alive, especially the hothead-loaded back four and the shaky (either old or inexperienced) midfield.

I also don't think folks appreciate how little juice Koev and Hassli have left in them. We need an awesome forward, either via trade or the Superdraft, in addition to a viable, long-term solution for the back 4.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it possible to trade Frings? Does anyone think Ledgerwood is better than Frings?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still on the shopping list, in order of priority:

(1) Starting central midfielder
    (1) Starting wide midfielder
    (1) Starting forward
    (1) Backup left back
    (1) Backup utility midfielder

Midfield has the biggest holes especially because I don't think Mariner wants to rely on Silva too heavily. Getting two starter-level players is essential. Lambe and Plata are best suited as backups and Frings is a big question mark. Basically every midfielder on the roster right now is a defensive liability. Needless to say, a recipe for disaster (again).

A starting forward is necessary because Koevermans doesn't come back until at least two months into the season. And who knows what his form will be like then. Braun and Amarikwa can't be depended upon for such a long stretch.

Defense looks okay. Califf isn't going to be a game-changer, but at least we have Henry for injury/international game cover. I'm banking on improvement from O'Dea (25), Eckersley (23), and Morgan (22). We still need a proper left back for depth. No more playing people out of position. Morgan is one of our most important players and we can't overplay him.

So yeah, definitely a lot more work to be done. Luckily we have two high draft picks coming up. The first pick should always be used on the best player in the draft which is a CB this year. For our second pick we should look to grab the best midfielder or forward. Might need to swing a trade for that, depending on what Chivas does with their pick.

As for the rest of the spots we have to rely on Mariner's Euro trip and Payne's connections to get us the talent we need. It's gonna come down to scouting and cap management. Looking forward to see what they come up with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Morlesio14 View Post
    Is it possible to trade Frings? Does anyone think Ledgerwood is better than Frings?
    I'm not sure if you know who frings is.... lol comparing him to ledgerwood is like comparing beckham to dunfield.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Frings22 View Post
    I'm not sure if you know who frings is.... lol comparing him to ledgerwood is like comparing beckham to dunfield.
    Says the guy with the name Frings22 hahah. But on a more serious note, I see where you're coming from I believe we should play this last year of his contract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Morlesio14. Go wiki Ledgerwood, then go wiki Frings and let me know there comparative state.

Per cap dollar spent, I think Ledgerwood is the better bang for your buck, but thats without a transfer fee. Frings is in a pretty awkward spot right now. He's not a charismatic leader (never was- more soft-spoken, lead by example...), and he struggles with the language, so now finally being surrounded with english speaking, alpha male types will almost completely silence the man. Takes away his best asset. Leadership/experience.

I vote for Frings playing AM, he's dangerous in that position and it would hide his diminishing mobility.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frings should play as many games as he can this year in DM role. We could try him in an AM role for a game or 2. Otherwise time will tell. Ledgerwood is quicker and speaks english but Frings is better with the ball at his feet. Both could be argued for who'd be better in a DM role for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My heart stopped for a second there. I would murder somebody to get him back.... but him as a scout is genius!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's reports that Chiumiento is in talks with the 'caps. Because he was sold wouldn't he have to go through allocation to get back into the league? Now theres an attacking mid that would fit well behind two big strikers

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...e-over-weekend

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KGH View Post
    There's reports that Chiumiento is in talks with the 'caps. Because he was sold wouldn't he have to go through allocation to get back into the league? Now theres an attacking mid that would fit well behind two big strikers

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...e-over-weekend
    apparently wants DP money though

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

apparently wants DP money though
    I imagine his current team would want a transfer fee as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about having a look at Paul Stalteri he will be turning 36 on Oct 18th 2013. I think he still might have 2 good years left in him. He has recovered from his injuries and is ready to resume his career. He has probably been one of the most successful Canadians to have played in Europe and has always when called upon been eager to play for our national team. I think he can still contribute in the MLS and why not with TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan View Post
    How about having a look at Paul Stalteri he will be turning 36 on Oct 18th 2013. I think he still might have 2 good years left in him. He has recovered from his injuries and is ready to resume his career. He has probably been one of the most successful Canadians to have played in Europe and has always when called upon been eager to play for our national team. I think he can still contribute in the MLS and why not with TFC.

I think he can still put a shift in, but given what Payne has said about wanting youth and having already signed a veteran defender in Califf, it doesn't seem likely.

Mason Trafford, Whitecaps Academy graduate, is also linked to coming back to MLS, Whitecaps specifically, after a stint in Finland. http://www.rednationonline.ca/Articl...comesnext.aspx Worth a look?

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stalteri has been searching for a club since May of this year, with still no luck. He may not be officially retried but might as well be. I like adding a veteran with leadership to TFC, you need those guys around to help build the youth coming through. However we just added that guy in Califf. I wouldn't even consider Stalteri at this stage, makes no sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mdc 77 View Post
    Stalteri has been searching for a club since May of this year, with still no luck. He may not be officially retried but might as well be. I like adding a veteran with leadership to TFC, you need those guys around to help build the youth coming through. However we just added that guy in Califf. I wouldn't even consider Stalteri at this stage, makes no sense.
    He was at the last TFC game at BMO, I got to meet him and his wife. I think he'd make a fine addition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to disagree with some of you out here, something tells me that Stalteri would be a positive addition to our team, his work rate and experience would be a plus. He is a Toronto area guy born and raised here, played all his youth soccer here, remember he played soccer growing up here in Toronto at a time when having a pro team like TFC and the way it has been supported would only have been a dream for kids growing up and playing soccer back in Stalteri's youth soccer days. Therefore, to have a chance to play for your home town team with the kind of support it gets I think you would see a very determined player wanting to give back to his city. I think he deserves a chance to see if he has anything left. It would be a shame for this team to not at the very least give him a chance to see what he could still do.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan View Post
    such a big plus compared to Cailiff....even at his age ....he has very good soccer IQ.....
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    such a big plus compared to Cailiff....even at his age ....he has very good soccer IQ.....
    I dunno, he got beaten like a mule in a cornfield when he went to Spurs. That was ugly. And he's a wide player, really (or a forward, or a midfielder. He is flexible, anyway.)

Never a tier 1 talent and he's 35, out for 18 months.

I want us to trade for Chiumiento, if he's coming back to MLS. He and Hassli love each other like bros and enjoy playing together, and we need a guy like him, a mobile DeRo type.