Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Kovermans is a poacher from inside 6 yd box. Hassli can operate more on the edge of the box, deep lying support striker, especially with his long shot and ability to hold the ball on the ground. (not so good in the air though)
    That is the way I am seeing this pairing working as well. 2 guys with size that will be problematic for backlines (given they are healthy) that both have excellent first touches. Watching Hassli this year, he really holds up the ball well and gets position on the edge and middle of the box. With Kouvermans lurking for high balls and spills it really could be a productive pairing.

Novel talking about footy again. I like that
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to share this Kevin Payne story from a DC United Supporter

19 May 2001
    Crew Stadium
    Cowlumbus, OH

Post Game

Me (Weaving ever so slightly): How the hell do we get back downtown from this place?
    Buddy (Weaving even more slightly): Dunno, where are the cabs? The bus? What kind of backwater is this?
    Me: Excuse me Mister can we catch a ride back downtown with you (repeat a dozen times)
    Mister: No. (repeat a dozen times)
    Buddy: Excuse me fellow United supporter can we catch a ride back downtown? (repeat half a dozen times)
    Fellow United Supporter: Sorry car full (repeat half a dozen times).
    Me (Listing slightly to port now. Parking lot almost empty. MeridianFC very sad.): Hey, isn't that the DCU team bus?
    Buddy (listing slightly to starboard): Yes, I believe it is.
    Me (approach bus door, knock on bus door): Excuse me kind bus driver, we're two lost and lonely DCU fans who have no way to get downtown, could we just, you know catch a ride to the city limits?
    Bus Driver: No way, no how.

Buddy and I walking away, heads down, contemplating the long dark trek back on the side of I-71.

Kevin Payne: Hey, is it just you two?
    Me: Er, yes.
    Kevin Payne: Get on the bus.

Thank you for 17 years of service and looking out for the fans.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ Sounds like he would be a fit.

We need more buses though.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    That is the way I am seeing this pairing working as well. 2 guys with size that will be problematic for backlines (given they are healthy) that both have excellent first touches. Watching Hassli this year, he really holds up the ball well and gets position on the edge and middle of the box. With Kouvermans lurking for high balls and spills it really could be a productive pairing.

Exactly. They are nowhere near being the same player. I think it's just an over simplification of player and position. Sure they are both big but both attack in different ways. Hassli generally plays farther withdrawn than Koevs ever is and as said, Koev is usually lurking in the box. Now you get a solid AM behind them and we're in business. Silva is not that AM either.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^^^ Sounds like he would be a fit.

We need more buses though.
    just use the one PM throws everybody under.

[gets hat]
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't think of any team anywhere ever, that made two big target men up front work. I think they are damn near identical, personally.

Happy to be discussing this also.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A brave man, this Kevin Payne.
    "Toronto (5-21-8) missed the playoffs for the sixth straight year since joining the league in 2007. This season, the club posted franchise worsts for wins (five), losses (21), points (23), goals against (62) and winless string (14)."

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I can't think of any team anywhere ever, that made two big target men up front work. I think they are damn near identical, personally.

Happy to be discussing this also.
    I don't think Koeverman is a target man. He doesn't seem to play like one?

Also, when Wondo wasn't playing, Gordon/Lenhart combo worked for SJ...
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And Koev/Hassli > Gordon/Lehart by a country mile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO Kevin Payne (if rumors are true) needs to roll in here like an old west sheriff, draw down on Mariner and Cochrane, and open fire.
    Cochrane & Mariner out before any more major trades coming/going can be made. I agree with many saying Thomas Rongen and Bob de Klerk get moved in the organization again, and we're blast-off for next season boys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Payne is not getting rid of Mariner. Even if day one he wants to, he won't. It is almost December. He is not going to bring in a new guy 2 months before preseason. Also, he is going to want to see for himself if the problems stem from squad issues or Mariner/other staff issues.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think Koeverman is a target man. He doesn't seem to play like one?

Re Koevs, that is sort of true.

Re SJ, disagree. Lenhart can run. He has real wheels. His speed tends to not be noticed, because he is such a pest.
    Last edited by ensco; 11-27-2012 at 05:02 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big bird has almost been used exclusively as a target man by his managers. He bangs bodies and fights for balls in the air because hes good at that

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I miss the most important news of the year!!!!!

Kevin Payne, if given the keys, will totally remake TFC.

As someone who followed DC before TFC came along, you guys have no idea how big this is.

Kevin Payne being involved cannot be compared in any way to MoJo.

This is the biggest news this year, maybe ever. The problem is, no one will recognize it outside of a few MLS geeks.

Let's not jump to conclusions. If Payne keeps Cochrane, I would conclude that nothing has changed. I do not care that Cochrane used to work for Payne, it's irrelevant.
    Not true, if Payne moves him to a more appropriate role, there is nothing wrong with Cochrane at TFC, The problem is that Cochrane is incompetent as a GM. Personally, I'd use him as the team's travel agent.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 11-27-2012 at 05:24 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My prediction is he will keep Mariner for now, but Mariner is under notice. The first losing streak, Payne will throw him under the bus and back it back and forth a few times. Then, Thomas Rongen can't be too far behind as the new coach, at least on an interim basis. He and Payne have similar perspectives on football, provided they can get along it could be a really fruitful business relationship.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 11-27-2012 at 05:30 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So this bad news for Mariner and Co, but good news for us? This is a good hire IMO. Kudos to ML$E for hiring a well experienced president. Let's see how much power/control this new president will have with this club.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    So this bad news for Mariner and Co, but good news for us? This is a good hire IMO. Kudos to ML$E for hiring a well experienced president. Let's see how much power/control this new president will have with this club.
    That's the key thing. If Anselmi can give him the autonomy that the Leafs and the Raptors have, then things are finally looking up. If Anselmi micromanages him, then nothing good will happen.

I think even Anselmi realizes that things need to change. "Cyclical" only works as an excuse for a little while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    That's the key thing. If Anselmi can give him the autonomy that the Leafs and the Raptors have, then things are finally looking up. If Anselmi micromanages him, then nothing good will happen.
    This is why I don't want to get my hopes up right now.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR ! View Post
    just use the one PM throws everybody under.

[gets hat]

you're on today my friend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anselmi will grant Payne full autonomy. Logic dictates that an executive of Payne's stature (by MLS standards) would never agree to terms otherwise.

The only negative aspect of this potential hiring is that Payne will be most likely be saddled with Mariner to start the season as opposed to starting his tenure with a clean slate, in what has become an incredibly frustrating pattern for all of MLSE's sports franchises as of late.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder for how long Payne knew he was coming here, and if he already has a new coach in mind.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am outwarly optimistically cautious about this hiring. Kevin Payne has the perfect MLS pedigree and league success this team needs to turn things around and get them to be winners. But this is Toronto FC we're talking about, the elephant's graveyard for reputations. If the FO gives him the control he needs to operate, and they stay the hell away from him (Anselmi, you assface, I'm looking at you!), then success finally is at hand. If not, then it's the same old shit we have to put up with.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Thomas Rongen can't be too far behind as the new coach.
    I don't get why this is such a widely held view. Payne may know Rongen well but may well know Tom Soehn, Curt Onalfo and Peter Nowak even better, all of whom were coaches in MLS much more recently than Rongen was.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't get why this is such a widely held view. Payne may know Rongen well but may well know Tom Soehn, Curt Onalfo and Peter Nowak even better, all of whom were coaches in MLS much more recently than Rongen was.
    I'm still confused as to why it's become this weird manifest destiny among a growing number of supporters that not only is Rongen going to be our coach, but he's going to be an amazing one - and I have nothing against him whatsoever.

Anyway, this is exactly the kind of guy we needed to be named "President", but it's only half of the equation. How much power and autonomy he gets is what matters, and we have no answer for that yet.

Still, I'm pleased.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really want to be happy about this news. But too many times this team has gotten me excited over a new addition to the club, only to have it all fall apart later. Please, soccer gods, please let something go right for this team!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by golaso.gol View Post
    Just a matter of time for Rongen to become head coach of club. He's itchy to move on from academy for a while now
    As for knowledge of Canadian soccer.......not a priority. Experience in this US league (made up of mostly American players and for US national team benefit) is whats needed to put a winner on the field- full stop. This move has the leagues hands all over it to stop the downward spiral of TFC.
    Garber has said and confirms exactly this: "I've been a party to some of the changes that they're going to make, that they hopefully will be able to announce shortly that we are hopeful will get them back on track." - Garber

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/11/26/mls_commissioner_tfc_bold_moves/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    A brave man, this Kevin Payne.
    "Toronto (5-21-8) missed the playoffs for the sixth straight year since joining the league in 2007. This season, the club posted franchise worsts for wins (five), losses (21), points (23), goals against (62) and winless string (14)."
    So Brave:

I only hope he survives the first season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    Garber has said and confirms exactly this: "I've been a party to some of the changes that they're going to make, that they hopefully will be able to announce shortly that we are hopeful will get them back on track." - Garber

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/11/26/mls_commissioner_tfc_bold_moves/
    It's possible you're misunderstanding what he meant by being "party" to them, considering how the league works. Further down the article:

The commissioner said almost the same thing when asked about Toronto during last year's call.
    Entirely possible he simply meant he was aware of impending moves, and if he said the same thing last year despite no management shakeup of any kind, I'd say it's likely.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

speculation will lead to nowhere? I'm just waiting to see what happens

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    I really want to be happy about this news. But too many times this team has gotten me excited over a new addition to the club, only to have it all fall apart later. Please, soccer gods, please let something go right (for a change) for this team!
    There's dare I say it a note of optimism in this thread.