Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    it's also question of stamina. in MLS though, I'd prefer more mobile DMs just due to athleticism of the league, esp in 2 CM set up

Like you said before 4312 would be good for us. A 3 man midfield with frings as anchor and two workers along side of him would be perfect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleUp View Post
    Like you said before 4312 would be good for us. A 3 man midfield with frings as anchor and two workers along side of him would be perfect.
    That is ideal, however im worried our defensive players will just boot the ball upfield. It completly negates Frings's ability, i hated watching him just watching the ball sail over his head and midfield.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    That is ideal, however im worried our defensive players will just boot the ball upfield. It completly negates Frings's ability, i hated watching him just watching the ball sail over his head and midfield.

Well tactics will be another thing! lets hope Mariner gets it right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Looking ahead to next season, I wanted to gauge the overall talent level of our projected starting lineup, given the fact that our limited cap space and use of the maximum 3 DP slots will likely hinder any significant additions to the roster. In essence, what we see is most likely what we'll get in 2013.

Be that as it may, if TFC is fortunate enough to avoid any long term injuries to key starters next season, I think the projected starting eleven actually seems fairly competitive, and might be strong enough to challenge for a playoff spot...

-------------------Frei--------------------

Eckersley---Califf-----O'Dea----Morgan

------------------Frings------------------

Lambe-----------Silva--------------Plata

-----Koevermans--------Hassli----------

Reserves: Braun, Dunfield, Henry, Stinson, Emory, Hall, Wiedeman, Amarikwa, Bendik

I realize that the stars would have to align in order to ensure that the key players on the roster remain relatively healthy for an entire season and Paul Mariner certainly hasn't done anything to inspire confidence, but invariably, the collective skillset of the players on the pitch should determine the club's path to success or failure to a large extent. Perhaps the cupboard isn't as bare as it seemed at the conclusion of last season.

Thoughts?
    Roberts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think its very possible that Koevermans and Frings might not return to the team regardless of what anyone is saying. Payne so far has delivered on a few trades and his pick up of Califf was something that couldnt have been done by Cochrane and Mariner.

4-4-2:

--------------------------Frei---------------------------
    -------------------------Bendik-------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Eckersley-------Califf------------O'Dea-----------Morgan
    ----------------Henry-----------Emory------------------
    -------------(#4-Swede)------(#3-Swede)--------------
    (#2-Swede)---Stinson------(#2 Draft Pick)---(#1-Swede)
    Lambe--------------------------------------------------
    ----------------Silva------------------------------------
    --------------(#1-Draft)--------Hassli-------------------
    --------------------------------Braun-------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    I think its very possible that Koevermans and Frings might not return to the team regardless of what anyone is saying. Payne so far has delivered on a few trades and his pick up of Califf was something that couldnt have been done by Cochrane and Mariner.

4-4-2:

--------------------------Frei---------------------------
    -------------------------Bendik-------------------------
    Eckersley-------Califf------------O'Dea-----------Morgan
    ----------------Henry-----------Emory------------------
    -------------(#4-Swede)------(#3-Swede)--------------
    (#2-Swede)---Stinson------(#2 Draft Pick)---(#1-Swede)
    Lambe--------------------------------------------------
    ----------------Silva------------------------------------
    --------------(#1-Draft)--------Hassli-------------------
    --------------------------------Braun-------------------
    possible, but highly unrealistic...where is dunfield?

and no defender as a draft pick...even thought the top 2 rated are defenders

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This team needs some speed desperately. We're going to get killed in this league if we don't sign some very fast wide guys to counteract Cailiff/O'Dea/Frings/Hassli. Don't know how fast Silva is, either, maybe just average (although a smart player.) Geez, can you see our current potential starting lineup against a team as strong AND fast as KC? We're gonna get fucking slaughtered.

This was the knock against us in year one once Amado came on board; we had lots of talent but we had Robinson-Guevara in the middle and usually, like, Laurent Robert and Andy Welsh wide, as well as Adam Braz and Tyrone in Defence. I remember interviewing Rick Titus for a story I was working on at the time, and he was in their inaugural training camp, and one of the last cuts. And he said "S-l-O-W. There's lots of talent but they're gonna get killed in this league."

Why do I see the same thing about to happen again. These lads need to sign some fucking speed right fucking quick.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^When the Rapids converted Wynne to a CB and it worked, the lightbulb on this went off for me.

The league has become one of the 10 or 12 best leagues in the world. It's at the bottom of that list, but it's on it! It's an elite league.

The way the game is played at this level, the central defenders can't play an old fashioned game and just get "stuck in". It's not just wing play either. There is too much build up coming from the middle, and the overall speed level is too high.

It's why Mariner was fooling around with Eckersley at CB all year. It's also why I don't think Payne would sign Califf if Frings were staying.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-16-2012 at 09:36 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    This team needs some speed desperately. We're going to get killed in this league if we don't sign some very fast wide guys to counteract Cailiff/O'Dea/Frings/Hassli. Don't know how fast Silva is, either, maybe just average (although a smart player.) Geez, can you see our current potential starting lineup against a team as strong AND fast as KC? We're gonna get fucking slaughtered.

This was the knock against us in year one once Amado came on board; we had lots of talent but we had Robinson-Guevara in the middle and usually, like, Laurent Robert and Andy Welsh wide, as well as Adam Braz and Tyrone in Defence. I remember interviewing Rick Titus for a story I was working on at the time, and he was in their inaugural training camp, and one of the last cuts. And he said "S-l-O-W. There's lots of talent but they're gonna get killed in this league."

Why do I see the same thing about to happen again. These lads need to sign some fucking speed right fucking quick.
    Agreed. Other than Morgan, Lambe, Plata, Eckersley, and Amarikwa, the roster is definitely below average in terms of speed. I assume that Payne is well aware of that glaring deficiency.

On a positive note, TFC might have an opportunity to partially rectify the problem in the upcoming draft, preferably in the defensive midfield and on the wings.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 12-16-2012 at 09:53 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    It's also why I don't think Payne would sign Califf if Frings were staying.
    Or, maybe they are thinking of "converting" him to an AM type a la Blanco. Frings is amongst the best in the league for vision and passing, and has a cannon of a shot. He was effective the few times he roamed forward late in the game when we were losing, and could slide back to supply some more defensive support to protect a late lead if needed.

In either a 4-3-1-2 or a 4-1-3-2 the 3 need to be CMs. Sure one plays right and one plays left, but you can't have wingers like Plata playing in those roles.

I'd like to see a 4-3-1-2 with something like:

---------------------------Frei---------------------------
    --Eckersley---------Califf---------O'Dea---------Morgan---
    --------New Box To Box----Dunfield----New Box To Box----
    ---------------------------Frings-------------------------
    ----------------------Hassli-----Koevermans--------------

We'd need to pick up more than just those two starters, as a suspect the only folks currently on the roster who can actually play box to box are Dunfield (arguably), Hall (at best a depth option), Stinson (woefully inexperienced), and Lambe (could probably convert from his winger roots, but would take some time).

Silva needs to be viewed as an AM in this formation, and needs to learn from Frings for game reading and movement. Switching to a 4-1-3-2 just means that the AM would slot down into the CM position, and the CM would slot down into an anchor position. Ideally, you'd replace Dunfield too, but I doubt getting 3 starting box to box types is in the cards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This +1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm.... At this stage perhaps only a back line of Ecks-Califf-O'Dea-Morgan Looks like the only slightly sure thing. And I personally can't stress enough how relieving it is to look at something like this, of course, I am going off of the Califf of a couple of years ago. That being said, if there is a player Payne might be looking to address it would be Ecks. He is a great RB, and I am sure will give lots of the attack once moved back there. But he is making a lot of money and he is young, which means his big price-tag is going to go up once more, and soon. Not sure of his contract lenght. But unless he doesn't want a raise eventually, don't expect him to be around for too long.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This team needs some speed desperately. We're going to get killed in this league if we don't sign some very fast wide guys to counteract Cailiff/O'Dea/Frings/Hassli. Don't know how fast Silva is, either, maybe just average (although a smart player.) Geez, can you see our current potential starting lineup against a team as strong AND fast as KC? We're gonna get fucking slaughtered. This was the knock against us in year one once Amado came on board; we had lots of talent but we had Robinson-Guevara in the middle and usually, like, Laurent Robert and Andy Welsh wide, as well as Adam Braz and Tyrone in Defence. I remember interviewing Rick Titus for a story I was working on at the time, and he was in their inaugural training camp, and one of the last cuts. And he said "S-l-O-W. There's lots of talent but they're gonna get killed in this league." Why do I see the same thing about to happen again. These lads need to sign some fucking speed right fucking quick.
    I wouldn't call this a GLARING deficiency. A glaring deficiency would be say, at LB where we don't have back up (O'Dei, Emory) who can perform at the level of our starter (Morgan). In contrast with RB, where our back-up (Hall), is able to get forward effectively like our starter (Ecks). If we didn't have very decent starting fullbacks, who were responsible for most of the crosses on the team all last season anyway, this would be a worse situation. We do need a couple of wingers, but we weren't relying on them for our width last season anyway. Not a lot of teams do these days. I suppose it depends on the formation the team wants to use, whether or not this is a glaring deficiency. Because in a 4-3-3 it wouldn't be, while in a 4-2-3-1, it might be, certainly in a 4-4-2. Besides, I don't think speed is ever as big a deal as basic footballing and passing skills, a ball can zip faster than any one player can run. And we DO lack effective footballing skills in key positions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like us to sign a new LM and RM. Plata and Lambe can both have their day, but they're terribly inconsistent.

I'd appreciate another CB signing in case Califf doesn't work out.

Another legitimate starting 11 striker is also a need. Let's be honest, Koevermans or Hassli will be injured multiple times this year. I don't want to be losing games because we have to settle with Amarikwa or Braun up front. Hopefully one of our draft picks can fill this hole.