Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Beckham to end his time with Galaxy after MLS Cup

“Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe the Qataris are finally getting their man
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So... Frank Lampard to LA in Jan?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Snoop Dog is taking him to Celtic.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is actually pretty interesting. Guys do this (pre-announce) when they're retiring, but not when they are going somewhere else, as he states. Weird timing.

Can't help but think it's somehow connected to AEG being for sale.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also interesting because technically Becks has a year left on his contract

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Snoop dog line wasn't actually a joke.

Snoop is a huge football fan and is talking about buying a stake in Celtic big enough to have a say in what happens at the club. He is also friends with Beckham and mentioned something today about maybe persuading him to go to Celtic for a year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The odds of Beckham being interested in Celtic are about the sames as those of TFC winning the MLS Cup in 2013.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yeah, I don't doubt Beckham is good buddies with Snoop Dogg (and Dogg IS interested in buying a stake in Celtic), but Becks heading to the SPL at this point in his career doesn't make any sense. I figure either he heads Down Under, to the Middle East, or winds his career up back in England.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was talking about a "a new challenge" a while back. I'd put my money on PSG.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Beckham did for MLS will never be forgotten. The fact as many people know what MLS is, is a testament to what he has done. Class act and I wish him the best with PSG (any takers?).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Could be PSG, but it would only be a blatant attempt to sell shirts for them. I doubt Becks even makes the starting lineup with the squad they currently have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Snoop Lion, Rasta Bumbaclut:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe he's going to retire?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10$ on Ligue 1, EPL, or Middle East.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Part of his contract with MLS is having the option to buy an MLS franchise so maybe he will be going into the ownership game and staying in the US. Who knows... Regardless of what happens it was nice to have him here though in North America and help the game grow like it did so we could enjoy it. Hopefully if he goes anywhere he will take Landycakes with him because that piece of crap MLS can do without...IMO.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Landycakes is also considering retirement, from what I've heard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    Landycakes is also considering retirement, from what I've heard.
    Why?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could be PSG, but it would only be a blatant attempt to sell shirts for them. I doubt Becks even makes the starting lineup with the squad they currently have.
    Disagree that PSG would be about shirts only. Ancelotti had Becks in Milan, and sat some pretty good players in Becks' favour then.

PSG lost at home to 9 man Rennes last weekend, and Ancelotti has since gone ballistic.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...at-psg?cc=5901

My guess: without Leiweke and Anschutz in the Galaxy's future, Beck's probably can't do a loan deal, and wants out anyway, since he doesn't know what he would be coming back to. Wouldn't surprise me if PSG (or whomever) is insisting on the rest of the year anyway (ie what Beckham did in 2009) which would complicate things. It's possible we might see Beckham back in MLS in July.
    Last edited by ensco; 11-20-2012 at 06:36 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Over the last 6 years of MLS in Toronto, I have been back home to the UK 4 times.
    Each of those times I was amazed to see Becks shirt in all the sport shops. . .
    The ONLY MLS shirt in the store. . and were talking SERIOUS sports stores here. .

IT can not be measured how much visibility he brought to this league internationally.
    Thansk becks for lending your star power to our lil pond over here. . and good luck in your next challenge.

Please no more clothing lines, fragrances, or reality shows though. . .
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Why?
    He's stated himself that his heart hasn't been in the game lately. Anyways, it's speculation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The timing of the announcement ensures that the MLS Final will be all about Beckham.

Anyone with an ounce of respect for the game and his teammates would have waited until after.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's stated himself that his heart hasn't been in the game lately. Anyways, it's speculation.
    Rumor is he is trying to strong arm the league into selling him, with Everton the likely destination. They sell, even at a cut rate, and make some money off him, or he retires and gets nothing.

Honestly though, I could understand losing your taste for the game here in his circumstances. After having a taste of the EPL and doing very well against the top clubs there, I could see it tough to get excited about playing in the MLS.

On Becks, I don't think he's going to the EPL. He's said time in and time out that he'll never play for another EPL team. Although, with the way Fergie is going, maybe Giggs and Becks will be Uniteds central midfield starting in January...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gee whiz, how the heck we gonna get 50k into the skydome now? *sarcasm*

But seriously, put MLS on the map outside North America. Guardian in the UK even runs an MLS column now.
    He put up with a heck of a lot of stick for coming here and has been nothing but a commercial success for MLS.

One of those deals that worked for both league and player for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Rumor is he is trying to strong arm the league into selling him, with Everton the likely destination. They sell, even at a cut rate, and make some money off him, or he retires and gets nothing.

Honestly though, I could understand losing your taste for the game here in his circumstances. After having a taste of the EPL and doing very well against the top clubs there, I could see it tough to get excited about playing in the MLS.

On Becks, I don't think he's going to the EPL. He's said time in and time out that he'll never play for another EPL team. Although, with the way Fergie is going, maybe Giggs and Becks will be Uniteds central midfield starting in January...
    For the love of all that's good and holy bite your tongue!!! With the way Giggs played at Carrow Road..........man you're giving me nightmares

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/...-beckham/53416

A League teams slobbering over Beckham.. makes sense for expanding Brand Beckham name...

On A league notes, Del Piero and Emile Heskey is tearing that league up

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^That A-league razzle dazzle is just Beckham's handlers working over PSG (or whomever). Beckham didn't need to announce he was leaving to go to Australia. That could have waited until Dec 1. But whoever it is he is dealiong with needs to know now, obviously.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I seriously think A league is deep in the running. What does going to play for PSG does for Beckham? At this stage of his career, does he really care about winning another trophy, or does he want to expand David Beckham brand?

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Also interesting because technically Becks has a year left on his contract
    i was just going to say this.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Why?
    menopause.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

apparently that 2nd year on Beck's contract is an option year...

-Eduardo Galeano