Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    but what exactly else do we expect? Do we think that Darren would push Mariner under the bus or say he has no confidence? He's just doing what he ought to as an experienced player - big up the management and confidence in him. I don't see anything wrong with that. Good for him for making a public statement.
    But that's not what he said!

Here's what O'Dea could say, if he wanted to say what you think he said: "I can't speak for anyone else, but I think Mariner is great and I really enjoy him as a manager." "I don't know why MLSE gets criticized, I have seen them be nothing but first class to me"

Here's what he actually said: "The problem here is negativity" (ensco translation - the media are assholes). "I know we're getting better players, Mariner is consulting with me on that" (ensco translation - I am special and my teammates are crap)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah let's see, he gets paid 200k more than guys like Colin and Bernadez who have twice the impact.

Spot on Darren, spot on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

O'Dea is already making enemies? lol I can't wait to cut overrated O'Dea and his crazy contract end of 2013 season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Yeah let's see, he gets paid 200k more than guys like Colin and Bernadez who have twice the impact.

Spot on Darren, spot on.
    My guess is once Mariner + Cochrane are out, O'Dea and Eckersley will be two of the first players out as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Here's what O'Dea could say, if he wanted to say what you think he said: "I can't speak for anyone else, but I think Mariner is great and I really enjoy him as a manager." "I don't know why MLSE gets criticized, I have seen them be nothing but first class to me"

Here's what he actually said: "The problem here is negativity" (ensco translation - the media are assholes). "I know we're getting better players, Mariner is consulting with me on that" (ensco translation - I am special and my teammates are crap)
    It's funny how I don't read it that same way at all! I would expect Mariner to possibly run CB names past O'Dea. The way I see management is a two way thing - you can always learn from your employees as well as teach them. A BAD manager thinks they are better and preach downwards. I'm no longer a Mariner fan, but its fine if he wants to consult his senior players on certain positions, nothing wrong with that. For me, that's good management, not bad. And I would thoroughly expect O'Dea to back his manager while he's playing for the club.

Also, this is a "twitter interview", so really the translation is horrible coming from 140 characters!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Fair enough. My comment isn't about Mariner though. I don't like how O'Dea handled this, but it's not a hanging offence.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Also, this is a "twitter interview", so really the translation is horrible coming from 140 characters!
    It wasn't a 'twitter' interview though. It was a real interview. Larson was just teasing it a day before, on his twitter account.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Fair enough. My comment isn't about Mariner though. I don't like how O'Dea handled this, but it's not a hanging offence.
    I think more than what O'Dae is saying is that really its a very poor article and interview. We don't know what Larsson is supposedly meant to have asked O'Dea to spark the reaction he did. The quotes, for me, could be very out of context. O'Dea clearly isn't just wading in on 'whether the club deserved criticism or not' - he's answering a question that has been speicifically pointed in a direction. But we don't know what that is! If Larsson is quoting an interview, at least write what the question is, don't just make it look O'Dea is angrily striking out at people for no/unjustified reasons!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post
    It wasn't a 'twitter' interview though. It was a real interview. Larson was just teasing it a day before, on his twitter account.
    As above - I've read the Sun article, and think its poor. No questions, just a bunch of quotes that could come out of any context that we are unaware of. It's LIKE Twitter where you can read somebody's 140 characters and its always out of context unless you have the whole conversation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love Larson probably my favourite TFC writer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everything O'Dea says gets picked up in the Irish press, so when you think about it, his comments were probably for the benefit of the players Mariner is trying to sign, in case they get nervous about the atmosphere here. Like scouting Scandinavia in the wake of Wilhelmsson, Johansson and a few others signing with more successful clubs, it has Earl all over it.