Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default O'Dea Wades Into It

In tomorrow's fish wrap, looks like it's mostly previewed on twitter ....

Darren O'Dea isn't happy with how MLSE is portrayed at times... "I can see what's happening inside and outside the club and I think the negativity is far too much"....Negativity in the press annoys me. Have every right, but the the team should take flack. Press writes about the way the club is run. Put my neck on the line in saying this and don't really care now. The manager and the staff are going out to get the right players....The way we're treated and the way everything is done is spot on. It's down to getting the right players in -- simple....The way we're treated and the way everything is done is spot on. It's down to getting the right players in -- simple....... I can't see how next year with the right players how with six gms to go in the season we won't be at worst (in the playoff hunt)....The manager has asked me about certain players. The type of players we're talking about are very exciting.

I have no idea why O'Dea would want to disclose/discuss that he is having conversations about new signings (although this obviously happens all the time, it's fraught with locker room peril, so most players don't talk about it).

Not a bad scoop for Larson, whatever you may think of him.

https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN

“What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so darren,

what have the stooges shown you that the rest of the world hasn't seen??
    Last edited by London; 11-17-2012 at 01:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    so darren,

what have the stooges shown you that the rest of the world hasn't seen??

A nice paycheck and a new lease on life in another continent, his value has dropped significantly in the UK thus also making him unatractive for other clubs in many EU countries.

I dont know, time will tell and we shall see who is right in the end.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Entirely possible he's simply had a different experience from some of the other players.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's my take on this:

-----------------Mariner----------------
    -------------------||-------------------
    ---------Kerr====O'Dea====Eckersley---
    -------------------||-------------------
    -------------FreeRaptorTickets----------

What are his choices really?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    In tomorrow's fish wrap, looks like it's mostly previewed on twitter ....

Darren O'Dea isn't happy with how MLSE is portrayed at times... "I can see what's happening inside and outside the club and I think the negativity is far too much"....Negativity in the press annoys me. Have every right, but the the team should take flack. Press writes about the way the club is run. Put my neck on the line in saying this and don't really care now. The manager and the staff are going out to get the right players....The way we're treated and the way everything is done is spot on. It's down to getting the right players in -- simple....The way we're treated and the way everything is done is spot on. It's down to getting the right players in -- simple....... I can't see how next year with the right players how with six gms to go in the season we won't be at worst (in the playoff hunt)....The manager has asked me about certain players. The type of players we're talking about are very exciting.

I have no idea why O'Dea would want to disclose/discuss that he is having conversations about new signings (although this obviously happens all the time, it's fraught with locker room peril, so most players don't talk about it).

Not a bad scoop for Larson, whatever you may think of him.

https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN

LOL, this is all pretty transparent. There's an Earl story on the site about how they're going about rebuilding, there's a Hassli piece on how he loves Mariner, which came right after an Eckersley story about how he loves Mariner, which came right after a Danny K story on how he loves Mariner....

Look, he's a player's coach and I don't put it past these guys to be playing good cop, bad cop on the high-earners, who have the most to lose.

Here's another thought: perhaps they are competent. Perhaps what we saw last year wasn't a result of their football competence as coaches and a manager, but as the crew who foisted a load of shit onto the guy they wanted to get rid of.

So we have a three optiosn: 1. These players can see quality in Mariner that just hasn't show up in results yet. That's the most optimistic. 2. They're protecting their own asses because they think the guy who brought them in might be about to be canned, particularly with anselmi guaranteeing a new head for the club (thus O'dea's GM comment); 3. They're right about Mariner and Cochrane, but so are people who think the two of them behaved like politicians instead of in the club's best interests (or perhaps even in it.)

Now, I'd like to think it's option 1. But the club's history of personnel selection for these roles suggests to me it's more likely option 2 or 3.

Either way, the sequence of story releases suggests a hardcore internal campaign to get people to accept Mariner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wonder if larson writes it if o'dea says something different
    Last edited by prizby; 11-17-2012 at 08:32 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Either way, the sequence of story releases suggests a hardcore internal campaign to get people to accept Mariner.
    Or it simply means O'Dea is having a different experience from other players, sees the insane amount of (completely earned from our perspective) negativity swirling around the team like a vortex, and doesn't get what the fuss is all about.

He's very well paid, hasn't had any acrimonious dealing regarding a raise or contract renewal yet, hasn't had to fight for minutes, wasn't here for any previous years of this circus, and wasn't even here for the Aron Winter section of 2012.

Taking all of that into account, I think it's entirely plausible that he simply thinks people are coming down on Mariner too quickly, and is still buying into whatever they are trying to sell the players privately. For now, I'm just going to take his comments at face value - it's not like they change anything.

Unlike him, we've been around this mess for seven years, and we are acquainted with this team's modus operandi. He's entitled to buy into whatever Mariner is selling, just like the vast majority of everyone else are entitled to shake their heads at it.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frankly, Mariner should be embarrassed (and find it telling), that he only has one player on this team willing to vocally go to bat for him.

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Frankly, Mariner should be embarrassed (and find it telling), that he only has one player on this team willing to vocally go to bat for him.

- Scott
    Yup, and it's no coincidence that it's the player that Mariner brought in on the highest wage since he became head coach.

I'm also worried about Mariner running the types of players he's been looking at by O'Dea.

I'm not sure I want Mariner looking at O'Dea for a second opinion on players when he has guys like Frings and Koevermans (both have way more experience and technical ability) at his disposal.

Oh wait....maybe he can't go to them for advice. LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- Scott
    He doesn't. That's my point. The last five stories from the team on mlssoccer.com and the team site have all been player profiles careful to mention their support for Mariner.

You think that's a coincidence? Sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    Yup, and it's no coincidence that it's the player that Mariner brought in on the highest wage since he became head coach.

I'm also worried about Mariner running the types of players he's been looking at by O'Dea.

I'm not sure I want Mariner looking at O'Dea for a second opinion on players when he has guys like Frings and Koevermans (both have way more experience and technical ability) at his disposal.

Oh wait....maybe he can't go to them for advice. LOL
    i'll bet mariner runs it by several players

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Speaking of having confidence in the coach:

Richard Eckersley - July 29, 2011
    “I love it here in Toronto. I love everything about it: the club, the staff and the fans. I love playing for Aron because he lets us go and expresses ourselves on the field, which is massively important for a footballer. I enjoy it here.”

Ryan Johnson - April 24, 2012
    “I believe in Aron. I have confidence in him,” Johnson said. “For me and the players, we still believe in him. I'm going to continue to fight for him.’

Terry Dunfield - April 24, 2012
    “There’s no lack of confidence (in Winter) whatsoever. The players are 100 per cent behind his approach and want he wants.”
    Last edited by Pookie; 11-18-2012 at 12:40 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Did somebody say 'Larson' ?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome quotes Pookie! We've heard great things said at one point about every coach/manager we've ever had at TFC. We shall see.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel that O'Dea deciding that he knows better than we do how MLSE treats people, and telling the world (including his colleagues) that he is a big confidant of the manager's re player acquisition .... both these things diminish O'Dea for me.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting to see that the story is now out - without O'Dea's quotes about being consulted on player acquisitions

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/11/17...me-the-players

I will bet anyone dollars to donuts that someone saw the conversation about that here yesterday and called Larson to pull those quotes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    You think that's a coincidence? Sure.
    I think it's the default position of most professional athletes to offer generic support for the coaching staff when asked by the press.

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No offence to Darren, but he's been here for 3 months...we the fans have been here for 6 going on 7 years...a look at the clubs history would explain a lot to Darren, especially if he looks at the upper management and notices that hasn't really changed (Earl & Tom) since day 1, just like the results

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    No offence to Darren, but he's been here for 3 months...we the fans have been here for 6 going on 7 years...a look at the clubs history would explain a lot to Darren, especially if he looks at the upper management and notices that hasn't really changed (Earl & Tom) since day 1, just like the results
    to play the devil's advocate, we, the fans, never get the whole picture of what goes on inside MLSE/TFC FO. and often what we get is filtered through someone else's perception. example, I was somewhat surprised at Adrian Cann saying how much support he received from TFC on his rehab and such, something we really didn't know about
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting to see that the story is now out - without O'Dea's quotes about being consulted on player acquisitions

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/11/17...me-the-players

I will bet anyone dollars to donuts that someone saw the conversation about that here yesterday and called Larson to pull those quotes.
    From a communications and PR management standpoint, this club is like watching two senior citizens try to bail out the Titanic with a sand pail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's the default position of most professional athletes to offer generic support for the coaching staff when asked by the press.

- Scott
    So do I Scott, because obviously it is. But go back over the site and MLS stories from the last two weeks; every player mentions it, and the writers are all MLSE staffers. No, I've been assigning stories and handling them for 24 hours, and this is a concerted effort to try to win some public support.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've lost all respect for O'Dea after reading that article. Of course the message had to come out in an article written by one of the clubs main mouthpieces, Kurt Larson.

The article is so bad. How stupid does O'Dea and the club in general think the fans are?

This quote kills me: “The negativity coming out in the press annoys me,” he clarified. “The press has every right when you’ve got the results we have, but the team should take the flack. The press seems to only write about the way the club is run.” What negativity in the press? Most of the press can't help trip over themselves to promote Mariner as the solution for this teams problems. All the negativity about this team is on message boards and comments on news articles. The actual writers covering this team are flacid in their criticisms.

I'd like to see a player join Manchester United, and after 3 months tell the media "those Glazers are great, I don't understand why all the fans hate them". You know it would never happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    to play the devil's advocate, we, the fans, never get the whole picture of what goes on inside MLSE/TFC FO. and often what we get is filtered through someone else's perception. example, I was somewhat surprised at Adrian Cann saying how much support he received from TFC on his rehab and such, something we really didn't know about
    These people might all be very sincere; it doesn't change his past performance or the likelihood of him improving it in the future. I don't think we need to go through the litany of strange and occasionally just dumb management decisions this guy has made. Plus, he doesn't recognize talent levels.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    But just to add to that, fans in this city have seen how MLSE have run the Raptors and Leafs for an even longer period.

O'Dea is totally off-base in his comments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post
    But just to add to that, fans in this city have seen how MLSE have run the Raptors and Leafs for an even longer period.

O'Dea is totally off-base in his comments.
    Not really. I mean i think he has been treated very well by managment.

He hasnt had time to see the disaster of what TFC is. Although it can be said he has put some rose coloured glass on and thinks its only the players fault. Winless in 14+ games should give him a clue its just not the players but the tactics employed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Entirely possible he's simply had a different experience from some of the other players.

- Scott
    Well, yes, and that's the real problem here. TFC has always had a divided locker room, full of cliques and us and them groups (as most groups of people working together do, of course, which is why good management is important).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is just another marketing piece for the front office. O'dea should shut the f up. He is on a freaking press honeymoon here compared to his days in Glasgow and he effing knows it. I'm so tired of the biased reporting around TFC.

If you buy all of this shit reporting going on you have already renewed your season tickets and have booked time off for the 2013 playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Speaking of having confidence in the coach:

Richard Eckersley - July 29, 2011
    “I love it here in Toronto. I love everything about it: the club, the staff and the fans. I love playing for Aron because he lets us go and expresses ourselves on the field, which is massively important for a footballer. I enjoy it here.”

Ryan Johnson - April 24, 2012
    “I believe in Aron. I have confidence in him,” Johnson said. “For me and the players, we still believe in him. I'm going to continue to fight for him.’

Terry Dunfield - April 24, 2012
    “There’s no lack of confidence (in Winter) whatsoever. The players are 100 per cent behind his approach and want he wants.”
    To be fair to O`Dea, I think this scenario is different then the typical "I believe in our coach" speak that you get from players in the media.

He is entitled to his opinion even though I believe that he is wrong. MLSE in general deserves all the criticism they get. You can certainly argue that they deserve far more than they get because at the end of the day, they have been complete garbage owners.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel that O'Dea deciding that he knows better than we do how MLSE treats people, and telling the world (including his colleagues) that he is a big confidant of the manager's re player acquisition .... both these things diminish O'Dea for me.
    but what exactly else do we expect? Do we think that Darren would push Mariner under the bus or say he has no confidence? He's just doing what he ought to as an experienced player - big up the management and confidence in him. I don't see anything wrong with that. Good for him for making a public statement.