Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regardless who Montreal is trialing at the moment I truely feel that out of all 3 Canadian teams that Montreal will be the most successful in the future.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.goal.com/en-ca/news/4175/...my-closing-the

More of a write up on Mtl vs Fiorentina youth game
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not so sure that the Italian experiment will work out. Success in the MLS is based on having a core group of American players. Word is the Italian and non-Italian camps aren't getting along so well at Montreal.

Also, people complain about our FO looking at lower divisions in England for talent due to the fact that talent is overpriced there. So are the lower divisions in Italy any different? Will those players play for less money, or will the Impact end up over paying for lower division European players like we do, just from a different league.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The economy in Italy is doing very poorly. Teams are going bankrupt all the time.

I think you can find bargains there. And players with way more technical ability than what you could find in England's League 2.
    Last edited by narduch; 11-14-2012 at 12:11 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had a thread like this one about how amazing Vancouver's original setup was and how they were going to make the playoffs in year 1.

They failed miserably, and after some disfunction similar to TFC blew up that "amazing" setup up and now barely squeaked into the playoffs a year later, hardly inspiring.

When your team sucks as badly as TFC has, any other team looks amazing. However, I'd rather emulate the better teams in MLS instead of Montreal, or Vancouver for that matter. They are hardly examples.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 11-14-2012 at 12:33 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Agree with Phil. People need to stop sucking the dick of other teams in the MLS.
    Who cares what Montreal is doing. We shouldn't look at what others are doing/not doing. Focus on TFC and what they need to do. Period.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Agree with Phil. People need to stop sucking the dick of other teams in the MLS.
    Who cares what Montreal is doing. We shouldn't look at what others are doing/not doing. Focus on TFC and what they need to do. Period.
    Nobody's doing that.

We do need to look at what other MLS teams are doing.

Its kind of hilarious reading all these people being defensive about TFC. TFC is the worst run team in the league. Obviously people will look up to other teams.
    Last edited by narduch; 11-14-2012 at 12:55 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post
    The economy in Italy is doing very poorly. Teams are going bankrupt all the time.

I think you can find bargains there. And players with way more technical ability than what you could find in England's League 2.
    But so far Saputo hasn't found bargains yet. He's dropped big bucks on what everyone here bitched about for years, old, slow players getting a last decent paycheck before heading off into the sunset. I've seen nothing from their Italian imports to suggest they'll do anything to help Montreal in the future and no I don't care about what they'd done in Serie A in the past. Has nothing to do with playing in MLS and being successful.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We do need to look at what other MLS teams are doing.

Its kind of hilarious reading all these people being defensive about TFC. TFC is the worst run team in the league. Obviously people will look up to other teams.
    Getting caught up with by Chivas and the Impact though. One nearly as inept as us over the long haul and the other will be relegated to a league wide joke if Crazy Joey keeps pulling the strings as he sees and by shooting his mouth off non-stop about everything, including the play of his own players.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    But so far Saputo hasn't found bargains yet. He's dropped big bucks on what everyone here bitched about for years, old, slow players getting a last decent paycheck before heading off into the sunset. I've seen nothing from their Italian imports to suggest they'll do anything to help Montreal in the future and no I don't care about what they'd done in Serie A in the past. Has nothing to do with playing in MLS and being successful.
    Really, you wouldn't take Ferrari over O'Dea? For a lot less money too?

Felipe isn't a bargain? (And I realize he came from Switzerland, but I believe that is part of the same scouting network).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Getting caught up with by Chivas and the Impact though. One nearly as inept as us over the long haul and the other will be relegated to a league wide joke if Crazy Joey keeps pulling the strings as he sees and by shooting his mouth off non-stop about everything, including the play of his own players.
    This is just wishful thinking on your part.

TFC is still the worst run team in the league, by a wide margin.

Chivas and New England are pretty awful too, but still not TFC bad.
    Last edited by narduch; 11-14-2012 at 01:10 PM.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is just wishful thinking on your part.

TFC is still the worst run team in the league, by a wide margin.

Chivas and New England are pretty awful too, but still not TFC bad.
    A lot of recent publications seem to indicate Chivas are way worse off than TFC.

As well, lets not forget that the impact have no coach or any 'soccer' people running the show, just a meddling super fan owner which may or may not work out but according to some with a crystal ball, its all going to be good for them and doom and gloom for us.

Don't confuse this with being an apologist or whatever else I get accused of being. Its an opinion. Everyone has one, I have seen this story in the past with Oltimers Vancouver pionts and now we are seeing it with Montreal. Both of those teams IMO are on the same fault ridden path that we are on, alwyas showing the manager the door and trying to focus on next year.

Here is a plan, lets focus on longer term solutions, like bringing in experienced football people and developing our academy and its players to the point that we don't need a 'superdraft'. The talent and interest exist in this country and in our city, its time to install the foundation and ensure it doesn't get tampered with.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I am not a fan of Marnier and would like to see a change. I would also like to see some accountability brought into this organization and have a director of operations or a president.

Right now the Impact have a owner that knows no bounds and is interfering with his team, to the point where he has no coach. That to me is as bad if not worse then the mess we have.

What experience does Joey have, especially with the MLS or Soccer other than being a guy who has money and owns the team?

The best thing all these guys could do is hire a proper staff, throw as much money at it as they can and leave it alone.
    I ran into somebody (prior to the coaching change) very close to the club in Montreal who told me that several of the players in Montreal, namely the ex serie a guys, didnt like the style of play and that it was going to change.

Then Marsch is fired.

So you can bet that they're going to bring in a coach that favours a style of play that will suit the players they have.

Will it work? Who knows?

Does it make sense? Yup.

Does TFCs ownership do this?
    Well....they say it...and then do the opposite.

Montreal is a first year team in MLS and they have high expectations.

Regardless of whether or not you agree with their methods, it's ridiculous to argue that they're not in better shape than a 6 season old expansion team...which is what we are. Lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a plan, lets focus on longer term solutions, like bringing in experienced football people and developing our academy and its players to the point that we don't need a 'superdraft'. The talent and interest exist in this country and in our city, its time to install the foundation and ensure it doesn't get tampered with.
    Until TFC fires Mariner + Cochrane we aren't close to ever getting to this.

I disagree with your assessment of Vancouver and Montreal. They are miles ahead of us.

As for Chivas, we still finished below them this year. So until we surpass them in the standings, I still consider TFC worse than them.

I haven't seen TFC make any moves yet that show they are serious about not finishing last again next season.

Does anyone have faith in Mariner + Cochrane to turn this around?
    Last edited by narduch; 11-14-2012 at 01:31 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    Regardless of whether or not you agree with their methods, it's ridiculous to argue that they're not in better shape than a 6 season old expansion team...which is what we are. Lol
    Agreed. That's pretty much the point I'm trying to make.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ran into somebody (prior to the coaching change) very close to the club in Montreal who told me that several of the players in Montreal, namely the ex serie a guys, didnt like the style of play and that it was going to change.

Then Marsch is fired.

So you can bet that they're going to bring in a coach that favours a style of play that will suit the players they have.

Will it work? Who knows?

Does it make sense? Yup.

Montreal and Vancouver should be further ahead by virtue of their past club experience. I can't argue with your assesment or predict the future. But the title of this thread is stupid. I am not happy with the state of TFC but to suggest Montreal is doing things so much better seems a bit off at this point.

As for this year our league performance was terrible. The numbers show that, but we did do pretty well in CCL at the start of the year, won the Canadian Championship (against Van and Mtl) and went on to complete in the CCL this year. There were some highlights.

I am not happy with the mess in management right now with our club, I want a plan to fix it and to acutally see them commit to sticking it out.

Year 6 or year 1, we need this fixed now.

The cheese is always bluer on the other side I guess.
    Last edited by Phil; 11-14-2012 at 01:45 PM. Reason: jokes
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal and Vancouver should be further ahead by virtue of their past club experience..
    But in our 6th season that shouldn't be the case.

We had a had start and we blew it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really, you wouldn't take Ferrari over O'Dea? For a lot less money too?

Felipe isn't a bargain? (And I realize he came from Switzerland, but I believe that is part of the same scouting network).
    I would take O'Dea over Ferrari. Almost 8 years younger, still developing his game but still has experience. Will be around long after Ferrari is gone.

Felipe is a good deal sure but giving well over $220k for a 36 year old striker wasn't the smartest move in my opinion.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Until TFC fires Mariner + Cochrane we aren't close to ever getting to this.

I disagree with your assessment of Vancouver and Montreal. They are miles ahead of us.

As for Chivas, we still finished below them this year. So until we surpass them in the standings, I still consider TFC worse than them.

I haven't seen TFC make any moves yet that show they are serious about not finishing last again next season.

Does anyone have faith in Mariner + Cochrane to turn this around?
    Honestly, if you read up on Kraft and Vergara... Man, these two are blights of MLS
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Honestly, if you read up on Kraft and Vergara... Man, these two are blights of MLS
    I'm well aware of their work. Which makes the fact that TFC is worse than both those teams a sad indictment on our management team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yep..really moving forward when you fire your first year coach...following tfc's shit in the pants there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then Marsch is fired.

Will it work? Who knows?

Does it make sense? Yup.

The team shouldn't be run by a small group of players. That's recipe for disaster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    The team shouldn't be run by a small group of players. That's recipe for disaster.
    Especially when said players have a shelf life of what, 2 years tops?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Not exactly true. TFC had two young Brazilians with the club a few weeks ago and word is that they have increased their scouting presence (to be confirmed)
    Two Brazilian players who have played in high level? Current TFC management aren't exactly have been impressive when comes to acquiring quality players. TFC have trailed more players from Bermuda than players from Brazil.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Two Brazilian players who have played in high level? Current TFC management aren't exactly have been impressive when comes to acquiring quality players. TFC have trailed more players from Bermuda than players from Brazil.
    The two Brazilians in question are from the Atlanta NASL team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The two Brazilians in question are from the Atlanta NASL team.
    LOL That is funny and strengthen my point. MLS rejects and Bermuda players are better than players who have played in high level in Europe? Hopefully people here see why I credited Montreal in this thread. They got higher standards than TFC of building their club. Our rivals are making us look bad right now (both on and off the field).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not against checking the NASL / USL for talent. In the past some decent players have come through that route although success in both leagues is hardly a 1-to-1 relationship (eg. Marco Velez, Christian Arrieta).

If I remember the story from the article, these guys both played for Cal FC and were recommended to Mariner by Eric Wynalda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Especially when said players have a shelf life of what, 2 years tops?
    I agree somewhat but that's an argument for bringing in those guys or not bringing them in.

Once you do, it only makes sense to play a style that suits them.

And I don't know if it will remain "a small group of players"

I think Montreal is looking to build a team with players of the same mindset.

Again...will it work? Who knows?

But at least they have a plan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    LOL That is funny and strengthen my point. MLS rejects and Bermuda players are better than players who have played in high level in Europe? Hopefully people here see why I credited Montreal in this thread. They got higher standards than TFC of building their club. Our rivals are making us look bad right now (both on and off the field).
    We have trialled a lot of player that have played in Europe over the years. I'm not sure what the point of comparing Montreal trial some lower division players from Italy is to us. When we sign lower division players from Europe, people complain that they are overpriced and we should be looking at Central America for value. But when Montreal do it - it is somehow better?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    We have trialled a lot of player that have played in Europe over the years. I'm not sure what the point of comparing Montreal trial some lower division players from Italy is to us. When we sign lower division players from Europe, people complain that they are overpriced and we should be looking at Central America for value. But when Montreal do it - it is somehow better?
    I am comparing our CURRENT management team with Montreal. How many players have we really trial from Europe who have played in HIGH LEVEL? Montreal is going after players who have played in Serie A (one of the better leagues in Europe) while majority of players TFC have trialed from Europe came from lower English league.
    Last edited by TFC07; 11-14-2012 at 03:29 PM.