Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Montreal continues to move forward. TFC shits it's pants

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yay. Couple of Italian trialists that Montreal don't have the international spot to sign all of them. Big fucking deal.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since when have we chased "NCAA sensations"?

Montreal are trialing some European players, a couple of which have interesting resumes. Good for them. I have no idea what this has to do with "moving forward", versus TFC.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL Montreal is proactive during off-season. It's nice to see players playing in a high level trialing for your club. It shows how serious Montreal is taking their team unlike TFC who are just sit on their asses and try to bribe fans to come back by offering free Raptor tickets if they renew their season tickets early. lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are aware we have trialed all kinds of European players too, right?

Can we stick to criticizing the team for real and relevant stuff, please? There's more than enough of it to go around.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post

Can we stick to criticizing the team for real and relevant stuff, please? There's more than enough of it to go around.

- Scott
    One of players Montreal is currently trailing is A South American. But point is: Montreal is being aggressive out there to build their team unlike TFC. How many players do TFC trial from Europe that played in high level? Not too many! Montreal is being very active which is great to see if you're fan of their club unlike TFC who are busy targeting bunch of MLS rejects and players who come from Bermuda.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    One of players Montreal is currently trailing is A South American. But point is: Montreal is being aggressive out there to build their team unlike TFC. How many players do TFC trial from Europe that played in high level? Not too many! Montreal is being very active which is great to see if you're fan of their club unlike TFC who are busy targeting bunch of MLS rejects and players who come from Bermuda.
    The guy you are talking about, Bem, basically played all his career in Swiss 2nd div.

Right now most MLS teams are either still in playoff mode or finalizing their roster before 2 Dec, when roster freeze is over and Re-Entry draft and whatnot is happening. No other MLS teams decided to go to Europe to have couple of friendlies against some reserve teams. I don't see why such a hard on for couple of guys Montreal has on trial.

Once pre season starts and there isn't much coming out of TFC camp, then I'd be more curious.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    LOL Montreal is proactive during off-season. It's nice to see players playing in a high level trialing for your club. It shows how serious Montreal is taking their team unlike TFC who are just sit on their asses and try to bribe fans to come back by offering free Raptor tickets if they renew their season tickets early. lol
    Not exactly true. TFC had two young Brazilians with the club a few weeks ago and word is that they have increased their scouting presence (to be confirmed)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Not exactly true. TFC had two young Brazilians with the club a few weeks ago and word is that they have increased their scouting presence (to be confirmed)
    TORONTO FC MOVING FORWARD WHILE REST OF MLS SHITS ITS PANTS

- Scott

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post

- Scott
    It is relevant. Just a few weeks backTFC was trialing ANOTHER Bermudan.

Meanwhile Mariner is off to England to scout (or have a vacation really).

Montreal has been fairly successful using players based in Italy (and Switzerland). Even dating back to their USL days (I remember Pesoli being a great find on their part).

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Weren't these 2 players from Atlanta? While I think its good to scout the NASL, its not really proof that TFC is truly expanding its horizons.

The club is probably going to try to claim they are increasing their scouting because it sounds good to the hardcore fans. Just like the Academy sell. But considering Mariner + Cochrane's track record I don't have any faith it will be successful.

-----------

I'm more interested to see who Montreal hires as their coach. They need to make a good hire in that position to truly move forward.
    Last edited by narduch; 11-14-2012 at 07:36 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

regardless if these trades happen, and if they are a success..
    its plan to see that TORONTO here has a nack for thread titles.

5 stars.
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yawn...if Saputo wants to turn the Impact into the Italian national C team, he can be my guest. I'm not much concerned about this at all. Oh, I'm sure, in due course we'll have any number of Bermudians and League Two players on trial, but I'm hardly going to get myself worked up over this.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We actually did have scouts out on trips to Central America these past couple of weeks, other places too.

Sorry resume your 'misery loves company' fest.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When it all plays out I don't think people will be looking at Montreal as the MLS club not shitting it's pants. Even us (maybe). They're now on their 5th manager since 2008 so they love managerial turnover too but unlike us, who have absentee ownership, they have a meddling one that already chased out an excellent, developing manager. These B and C level Serie A players may work out for them, who knows? But to me it's looking a lot like it's heading towards something like the Lithuanian experiment at Hearts. That didn't turn out too good.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting players in is 'moving forward'....where is their coach?

I think Montreal are sleeping with a friggin depends on right now by the sounds of it. Single owner that meddles too much will be a problem for them.
    Last edited by Phil; 11-14-2012 at 09:25 AM.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Getting players in is 'moving forward'....where is their coach?

I think Montreal are sleeping with a friggin depends on right now by the sounds of it. Single owner that meddles too much will be a problem for them.
    That is yet to be seen. At least he cares more about winning than TFC's ownership.

Our FO spends more time playing backroom politics than it does improving the club. Promotions for all the the people who fail, but suck the right dick.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    When it all plays out I don't think people will be looking at Montreal as the MLS club not shitting it's pants. Even us (maybe). They're now on their 5th manager since 2008 so they love managerial turnover too but unlike us, who have absentee ownership, they have a meddling one that already chased out an excellent, developing manager. These B and C level Serie A players may work out for them, who knows? But to me it's looking a lot like it's heading towards something like the Lithuanian experiment at Hearts. That didn't turn out too good.
    The manager thing isn't that big a deal. Most teams all over the world will cycle through coaches until they finally find the right one. Other than Marsch, I can't think of a single recent Impact coach firing that wasn't warranted. Not every team is TFC dumb and lets a guy that isn't fit for the job continue in the role for the sake of 'stability'.

Marsch wasn't really THAT good. If they hire someone better they will be further ahead. I'm interested to see where they go in that regard.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post
    That is yet to be seen. At least he cares more about winning than TFC's ownership.

Our FO spends more time playing backroom politics than it does improving the club. Promotions for all the the people who fail, but suck the right dick.
    I would agree, from what I hear there is too much time spent in backroom stuff.

But, where is the president for Montreal? Where is their head coach? Everyone goes around and demands these things as fixes for our club, heralds the acomplishments of other teams yet they lack the foundations we all demand.

The internet makes me laugh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO we will NEVER be successful with PM as manager...He's a crap coach, who is in way over his head technically..so no matter who we sign it's irrelevant...Everybody has seen how he has already marginalized talented players like Frings, Silva, Avila, etc....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would agree, from what I hear there is too much time spent in backroom stuff.

But, where is the president for Montreal? Where is their head coach? Everyone goes around and demands these things as fixes for our club, heralds the acomplishments of other teams yet they lack the foundations we all demand.

The internet makes me laugh.
    Montreal still has a foundation way better than ours. Just no coach.

I would take Montreal's crazy FO over TFC's in a heartbeat. Cochrane and Mariner making the key soccer decisions? No thanks.

The only thing that's laughable is your attempt to defend TFC's FO.
    Last edited by narduch; 11-14-2012 at 09:59 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maninb View Post
    IMO we will NEVER be successful with PM as manager...He's a crap coach, who is in way over his head technically..so no matter who we sign it's irrelevant...Everybody has seen how he has already marginalized talented players like Frings, Silva, Avila, etc....
    Agreed. By keeping Mariner we are just delaying the inevitable. The true rebuild won't start until he and Cochrane are gone.

Even scarier is that after they are turfed, we will have to hope that idiots like Anselmi will hire the right people. What are the chances he finally gets it right?

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal still has a foundation way better than ours. Just no coach.

I would take Montreal's crazy FO over TFC's in a heartbeat. Cochrane and Mariner making the key soccer decisions? No thanks.

The only thing that's laughable is your attempt to defend TFC's FO.
    I haven't been defending them, I am critical of all this.

However before I give Montreal credit for doing it right, I would like to see some evidence.

Who is Montreals Prsident? If its the cheese man, then they are no further ahead.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't been defending them, I am critical of all this.

However before I give Montreal credit for doing it right, I would like to see some evidence.

Who is Montreals Prsident? If its the cheese man, then they are no further ahead.
    They are way further ahead. How can they not be considering who is running TFC? That is quite a stretch to say that TFC is even in the same stratosphere.

The evidence is in how they finished in the league. That is all we can go on.

TFC is going to be battling for last again next year.

Are you honestly going to say that Joey Saputo as team President is as bad as TFC's set up? LOL.
    Last edited by narduch; 11-14-2012 at 10:07 AM.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are way further ahead. How can they not be considering who is running TFC? That is quite a stretch to say that TFC is even in the same stratosphere.

The evidence is in how they finished in the league. That is all we can go on.

TFC is going to be battling for last again next year.

Are you honestly going to say that Joey Saputo as team President is as bad as TFC's set up? LOL.

I am not a fan of Marnier and would like to see a change. I would also like to see some accountability brought into this organization and have a director of operations or a president.

Right now the Impact have a owner that knows no bounds and is interfering with his team, to the point where he has no coach. That to me is as bad if not worse then the mess we have.

What experience does Joey have, especially with the MLS or Soccer other than being a guy who has money and owns the team?

The best thing all these guys could do is hire a proper staff, throw as much money at it as they can and leave it alone.
    Last edited by Phil; 11-14-2012 at 10:15 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right now the Impact have a owner that knows no bounds and is interfering with his team, to the point where he has no coach. That to me is as bad if not worse then the mess we have.
    It really depends on who they hire. What if they improve on Marsch?

I would still rather have an owner that cares as much as Saputo does. Its way better than what we have here where the guy running the team for 6 years of abject failure gets promoted. We essentially have absentee owners.

Saputo is the Mark Cuban of MLS.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It really depends on who they hire. What if they improve on Marsch?

I would still rather have an owner that cares as much as Saputo does. Its way better than what we have here where the guy running the team for 6 years of abject failure gets promoted. We essentially have absentee owners.

Saputo is the Mark Cuban of MLS.
    I prefer to see them as dysfunctional. Point being the title has a lot of shit in it, for both clubs when you really look at it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best thing all these guys could do is hire a proper staff, throw as much money at it as they can and leave it alone.
    I disagree. Ideally ownership should provide oversight and instill some checks and balances.

That being said, I would rather have a "super fan" running the team than an absentee corporation.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefer to see them as dysfunctional. Point being the title has a lot of shit in it, for both clubs when you really look at it.
    Saputo is dangerously on the road to turning Montreal into another Chivas USA

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I disagree. Ideally ownership should provide oversight and instill some checks and balances.

That being said, I would rather have a "super fan" running the team than an absentee corporation.
    What I was getting at is ownership doing just that. Hiring a proper staff equates in my mind the overshight to install people who will institue the checks and balances.

'Super fan' ownership can be something we all relate too, but I don't think its good for the club overall. Meddling owners are too reactive and can make some pretty damaging moves that hurt. Harold Ballard is a good example of that I think. Anyhow to each thier own, I just wanted to clarify my vague statement before everyone mis quotes it and starts planning the parade route for Montreal.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Saputo is dangerously on the road to turning Montreal into another Chivas USA
    I would agree. Seems that isn't the prevailing feeling though. Pass the blue cheese please.