Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

woops, wrong forum. meant to post this in the news. sorry mods!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post
    Surprising, but also not. It's Saputo's team. I can't believe an MLS guy would think old Italians are the way to build the future. That level of interference is gonna drive anyone nuts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take him!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure I'd take him. A coach with a winning record that wants to focus on a strong build for the future?

We don't have a vision here. Let's give Marsch a listen and see what we could do to to help him stick it to his old bosses.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Surprising, but also not. That level of interference is gonna drive anyone nuts.

Although this point would be the primary reason our team wouldn't be on Marsch's prospect list. Anselmi and Cochrane may have a difficult time convincing Marsch he's have control with the management media circus that is TFC.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

really funny...was listening to tsn radio montreal when i drove through Montreal in late August/early september...they were talking montreal impact and the commentator was predicting that Jesse Marsch would be out by the end of the season regardless of results...the reason being was the influential Euro signings want a Euro style coach...would seem that this is the case

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not surprised. I had a feeling Montreal wants build more an European type of team instead of North America one. I am sure they'll do it differently than TFC though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Sure I'd take him. A coach with a winning record that wants to focus on a strong build for the future?

We don't have a vision here. Let's give Marsch a listen and see what we could do to to help him stick it to his old bosses.
    He brought in talents like Felipe and some decent MLS defenders, got the best out of Bernier. They should take a serious look at him.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We don't need Marsch,

WE HAVE MARINER AND HE IS GOOD IN WHAT HE IS DOING!!
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Take him!
    That was my first thought as soon as I read the title of this thread.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No way Marsch would step into the shit storm that is Toronto FC. He's way too smart for that. Some other MLS club will come around and give him what he wants.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post
    Moved to news, no problem.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, the meddling owner problem. Looks like Saputo wants some Italian guy as next manager. Curious to see if this move will pay off for Impact, but Saputo doesn't have a good history of hiring and firing managers either.

Either way, Marsch is going to find a job again, considering his experience as player, assistant USMNT stint and what he accomplished in mtl with an expansion team. But he's not a good fit for for many TFC fans, because I'm pretty sure he prefers 4-4-2 lol
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't want Marsch either. Prefer a manager who share similar vision (4-3-3 attacking soccer) what we try to establish since last year.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    No way Marsch would step into the shit storm that is Toronto FC. He's way too smart for that. Some other MLS club will come around and give him what he wants.
    I don't think the guy would touch this club with a 40-foot pole, but I wouldn't be surprised if he finds further work in MLS. I heard the same sort of commentary that prizby did. Nothing along the lines of bad blood going on between himself and ownership and players, but more an acknowledgement that Saputo has a certain mandate and vision for the club and it requires someone else with a football brain similar to Di Vaio and Nesta's.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Either way, Marsch is going to find a job again, considering his experience as player, assistant USMNT stint and what he accomplished in mtl with an expansion team. But he's not a good fit for for many TFC fans, because I'm pretty sure he prefers 4-4-2 lol
    Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    I don't want Marsch either. Prefer a manager who share similar vision (4-3-3 attacking soccer) what we try to establish since last year.
    there isn't anything wrong with 4-4-2. the problem is Mariner is an idiot. why do some insist 4-3-3 is somehow the future or inherently better? it's been around for decades and just happens to be in vogue right now, although 4-2-3-1 is already becoming the new 'thing'.

ManU currently plays a 4-4-1-1 and are one of the most dangerous attacking teams in the world. Chelsea's formation is also quite conservative. it's all about player quality, coaching.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Were it that any of our managers had the principles to stand up and say "the owner and I disagree on how to do this", and then resign their post. Ours either cling to their jobs like rats on a sinking ship no matter how much their superiors meddle (or how terrible they are), or they quit with no comment.

And with how pervasive the meddling is, it would be useful for the long-term health of the franchise, to have one of them stand up and shine a light on this stuff. All we have are rumours, innuendo, he said/she said catfights, and "inside info" from the super-secret sources everyone and their uncle seems to have on this forum.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Were it that any of our managers had the principles to stand up and say "the owner and I disagree on how to do this", and then resign their post. Ours either cling to their jobs like rats on a sinking ship no matter how much their superiors meddle (or how terrible they are), or they quit with no comment.

And with how pervasive the meddling is, it would be useful for the long-term health of the franchise, to have one of them stand up and shine a light on this stuff. All we have are rumours, innuendo, he said/she said catfights, and "inside info" from the super-secret sources everyone and their uncle seems to have on this forum.

- Scott
    Marsch has a bright future, and could probably have his pick of MLS jobs. Whereas our managers generally seem to be the bottom of the barrel variety who no other club would touch with a 10 foot pole, and they know their chances of getting work elsewhere are slim to none.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    Marsch has a bright future, and could probably have his pick of MLS jobs. Whereas our managers generally seem to be the bottom of the barrel variety who no other club would touch with a 10 foot pole, and they know their chances of getting work elsewhere are slim to none.
    Some of them may leave this way (not all), but I certainly don't think they all enter this way. Winter wasn't a "bottom of the barrel" candidate when he came in, and there was a time when people thought Mariner was a good candidate for a top job as well.

I agree that there's no reason for Marsch to take a job with TFC. We are a team with a bad reputation, limited prospects, and not even a history of our employees going on to greater things by being here.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nonc View Post
    there isn't anything wrong with 4-4-2. the problem is Mariner is an idiot. why do some insist 4-3-3 is somehow the future or inherently better? it's been around for decades and just happens to be in vogue right now, although 4-2-3-1 is already becoming the new 'thing'.

ManU currently plays a 4-4-1-1 and are one of the most dangerous attacking teams in the world. Chelsea's formation is also quite conservative. it's all about player quality, coaching.
    for the record, I'm in the 'if it's stupid, but it works, then it's not stupid' group
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marsch wasn't specifically 4-4-2. Many times he played 4-2-3-1 with Felipe as no. 10

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Marsch wasn't specifically 4-4-2. Many times he played 4-2-3-1 with Felipe as no. 10
    I suspect Marsch was pressured into playing 4-2-3-1...

-Eduardo Galeano

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, the meddling owner problem. Looks like Saputo wants some Italian guy as next manager. Curious to see if this move will pay off for Impact, but Saputo doesn't have a good history of hiring and firing managers either.

An owner who wants to f^cking win?? I'd take Saputo over the clowns running our team who simply want to collect a pension. Nesta will be the new coach. Why would he want to play for peanuts, if the next step in his life wasn't taken care of. Which was coaching. He came, saw the league from the sidelines, played a few games and now...PRESTO is coach.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto View Post
    An owner who wants to f^cking win?? I'd take Saputo over the clowns running our team who simply want to collect a pension. Nesta will be the new coach. Why would he want to play for peanuts, if the next step in his life wasn't taken care of. Which was coaching. He came, saw the league from the sidelines, played a few games and now...PRESTO is coach.
    I'm going to laugh so hard if Nesta fails as a coach.

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Impact have one big thing going for them that we don't - they have an identity. Joey Saputo has made no bones about the sort of team he wants. He wants an "Italian" team. Italian players and Italian coaches all working on an Italian style.

And I wouldn't be surprised at all if it works out for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto View Post
    Yep. I'll take a "meddling" coach any day of the week as long as he is actually creating positive change with his/her input. As for Nesta and coaching, that certainly sounds like a possibility. Don't know if things will play out that way, but it's entirely plausible.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    The Impact have one big thing going for them that we don't - they have an identity. Joey Saputo has made no bones about the sort of team he wants. He wants an "Italian" team. Italian players and Italian coaches all working on an Italian style.

your team is only good as your American domestics

-Eduardo Galeano

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Bang on. Only as good as all 19 of them and your 3 Canadians to be exact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post

The million dollar question is can he do it on an MLS budget...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Especially those middle-tier players. It's surprising how few in the media realize this.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto