Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by starter View Post
    I am on record few times asking how come a cb good for JNT not good for TFC? Unless he shares RJ view of Mariner of course.
    Williams is a fringe player for Jamaica right now. Age 26, 9 caps. Although he was out with injury for a year. Williams also gets called up because Jamaica isn't exactly blessed with a lot of quality defenders.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    KEEP: Danny Koevermans, Ashtone Morgan, Reggie Lambe, Luis Silva, Matt Stinson.

Everyone else would be in play if we can upgrade. Rationale: Koevermans when healthy is world-class; Morgan, Silva and Stinson all have the ability to play regularly already and great room for improvement; Lambe is a bargain for a winger of his quality.

Everyone else, and I mean everyone, should be in play for a better deal. I include Doneil Henry in that, as so far I'm not sure he's smart enough as a player for MLS. He probably will be eventually, but he isn't yet. Stinson might surprise someone but I think he's got a good football brain (ala Sam Cronin) and combined with decent techique that can go a long way. Silva actually isn't ready to be a two-way midfielder in this league as his defense and defensive movement in particular are very weak, but he's got great natural talent as an attacker and moves smartly around the box. We should move him into the role of hole player, winger (not wide midfielder, a true 'wing forward' winger) or striker.
    One of reasons why I kept so many players in the 'keep' pile is because it's hard for any team to have such a big turnover rate without being able to adequately replace players. Esp with Mariner in charge, I don't have confidence that 6 discovery signings and trades within MLS (with relative low trade value for most of TFC players) is enough to field a competitive team next year if we go by your list.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DichioTFC View Post
    I get the feeling that PM supports having Canadian players. The first two players he signed to contract extensions were Ashtone and Doneil, although that could also have to do with the Academy more than anything else. If we can trade an outgoing player (Ryan Johnson) and a lower round draft pick to Houston or DCU for either Hainault ($150K) or Jakovic ($208K), it's a trade I would absolutely make. We can even argue to the league (which seems to influence these decisions) that having another Canadian on the team would be good for attendance and help soothe fan anger after the departure of DeRo.
    No freaking way Houston trades Hainault for anything less than a huge allocation plus a 1st rounder, or a player they absolutely can't refuse. Montreal tried to pull something in pre season and Houston wouldn't budge. Houston can use Ryan Johnson esp with Ching retiring, but RJ for Hainault, even with a draft pick is not a trade Kinnear would make. (and would be stupid to)

Jakovic is also highly rated by DC despite his injury proneness, and DC really don't have a need for another striker.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    No freaking way Houston trades Hainault for anything less than a huge allocation plus a 1st rounder, or a player they absolutely can't refuse. Montreal tried to pull something in pre season and Houston wouldn't budge. Houston can use Ryan Johnson esp with Ching retiring, but RJ for Hainault, even with a draft pick is not a trade Kinnear would make. (and would be stupid to)

Jakovic is also highly rated by DC despite his injury proneness, and DC really don't have a need for another striker.
    Would Houston refuse either Ryan Johnson and Eric Avila for Hainault and a rotation fullback? As much as I like both players going out, you're right about Houston needing to replace Ching and those two players are questionable under Mariner. Will Bruin can't shoulder the whole load next season. Also, Houston seems weak at central mid, and as Avila would be an instant upgrade of Moffat this makes sense to me. If we can get back Warren Creavalle ($44K), I would be happy with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Williams is a fringe player for Jamaica right now. Age 26, 9 caps. Although he was out with injury for a year. Williams also gets called up because Jamaica isn't exactly blessed with a lot of quality defenders.
    My general point is he still gets called up, while JMNT is not being blown away as CMNT, and still Emory/Ecks gets to play over him. I view this as a personal dislike similar to the fate of Avila, Soolsma, Plata and JDG. I think RJ would have been there if we were not already so thin up front.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would Houston refuse either Ryan Johnson and Eric Avila for Hainault and a rotation fullback? As much as I like both players going out, you're right about Houston needing to replace Ching and those two players are questionable under Mariner. Will Bruin can't shoulder the whole load next season. Also, Houston seems weak at central mid, and as Avila would be an instant upgrade of Moffat this makes sense to me. If we can get back Warren Creavalle ($44K), I would be happy with that.
    Hainault is lynch pin for Houston defence along with Boswell, especially since Cameron got sold to Stoke City. Losing Hainault would be crippling to Houston's defence. Avila is AM, and Moffat is DM. Houston also plays 4-3-3 a lot with Davis, Colin Clark and Ricardo Clark, with Moffat, Barnes and Camargo for depth. Boniek Garcia adds the flair from RW who can play AM.

Houston don't need Avila. Certainly not worth losing Hainault over

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My general point is he still gets called up, while JMNT is not being blown away as CMNT, and still Emory/Ecks gets to play over him. I view this as a personal dislike similar to the fate of Avila, Soolsma, Plata and JDG. I think RJ would have been there if we were not already so thin up front.
    I haven't seen anything that says Williams is better than Emory.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't seen anything that says Williams is better than Emory.
    You could perhaps start to compare what Emory can do with the ball vs Williams, like hoofing it forward vs keeping it on the ground, and waiting for an outlet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moving forward, I assumed we need 6 new players to come in, and with only 5 spots remaining, that means the glut at forward needs to be reduced. There are three options IMO - Hassli ($350K), Ryan Johnson ($138K) and Wiedeman ($80K). Of the three, the only one that Mariner didn't bring in was Ryan Johnson and judging from his hesitancy at the season-end interview, I get the feeling there's more to this situation than we know on the surface.
    weedman will be gone, but we don't get 80k off the cap if he leaves; he was free this year as he was still generation addidas...think RJ9 did his best to talk himself out of Toronto; any takers and what would we get in return?...I really think Mariner will have a tough time getting rid of Hassli because then he'd have to explain why he's given up the likely first pick in the draft in 2014 and an international spot for the 2013 year; but i guess he's "very good" at his job right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hainault is lynch pin for Houston defence along with Boswell, especially since Cameron got sold to Stoke City. Losing Hainault would be crippling to Houston's defence. Avila is AM, and Moffat is DM. Houston also plays 4-3-3 a lot with Davis, Colin Clark and Ricardo Clark, with Moffat, Barnes and Camargo for depth. Boniek Garcia adds the flair from RW who can play AM.

Houston don't need Avila. Certainly not worth losing Hainault over
    yet hainault was on the bench last night? Couldn't figure that one out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the issue with williams isn't so much his ability or his salary or anything to do on the field...it has to do with you have a limited number of international roster spots and do you want someone who clearly isn't going to see the field that often (under Mariner) holding down an international roster spot

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could perhaps start to compare what Emory can do with the ball vs Williams, like hoofing it forward vs keeping it on the ground, and waiting for an outlet.
    actually, Emory is quite a good short passer. better than Williams (who I think is slightly better than avg CB at passing the ball)

Mariner encourages hoofball. So his players play hoofball. is that really player's fault for doing what his coach tells him to do?

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    yet hainault was on the bench last night? Couldn't figure that one out
    that, I don't know, considering Hainault played in Houston's game vs Colorado last Sat. Only reason I see is Hainault is being rested, or he picked up a minor knock before the game. Interesting. He didn't play in 3 out of 4 of Houston's last games. Unless Kinnear is worried about Hainault's mental game after such a shocking performance vs Honduras

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

actually, Emory is quite a good short passer. better than Williams (who I think is slightly better than avg CB at passing the ball)

Mariner encourages hoofball. So his players play hoofball. is that really player's fault for doing what his coach tells him to do?
    I am not expecting Emory to smarten up, if Mariner ever asks him to though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're comparing guys that play different roles on the backline. Emory is good to keep as cover for both the LB and Left CB. Williams is only good cover for Right CB.

I'm OK with keeping both. And they're pretty Cap friendly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

weedman will be gone, but we don't get 80k off the cap if he leaves; he was free this year as he was still generation addidas...think RJ9 did his best to talk himself out of Toronto; any takers and what would we get in return?...I really think Mariner will have a tough time getting rid of Hassli because then he'd have to explain why he's given up the likely first pick in the draft in 2014 and an international spot for the 2013 year; but i guess he's "very good" at his job right?
    I get the feeling that if he's still a cap hit, Mariner would keep him. I can't see PM admitting failure in the JDG trade and getting rid of the only asset from the trade.

I would hate to see Johnson go. Although his strike rate was a bit low, his potential to score great goals is clear. But I do get the feeling he's not happy here and hasn't been for awhile. Watching him in person, his body language on turnovers and on dumb plays showed his frustration. He probably has a club option year left on his contract, so I'd wonder if he could block the club from exercising that option. Chivas could use a striker to replace Juan Pablo Angel, I'd wonder if they'd be interested. I wouldn't mind getting Ante Jazic ($118K) in return even if he's near retirement.

I'm 50:50 on Hassli. If we get rid of Johnson, he has to stay, but I would really like him to take a small pay cut to stay so we can free up that DP spot. He was on a front loaded contract, but his guaranteed compensation last year was $790K. Not sure how Mariner can work the contract for it to be under $350K excluding bonuses. Even if we can't work that out and he's still our third DP, I wouldn't oppose a Koevermans / Hassli partnership up top, or Hassli providing cover for Koevermans late in the season.
    Last edited by DichioTFC; 11-02-2012 at 10:43 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the issue with williams isn't so much his ability or his salary or anything to do on the field...it has to do with you have a limited number of international roster spots and do you want someone who clearly isn't going to see the field that often (under Mariner) holding down an international roster spot
    We can always trade a depth player for an international spot if need be, but your point is well taken. From what I've seen of Dicoy for club and country, and it has been limited, I would be fine keeping him even in a depth role. Strong CBs like him are a valuable asset in this league, from an in-game standpoint but also for trade bait.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that, I don't know, considering Hainault played in Houston's game vs Colorado last Sat. Only reason I see is Hainault is being rested, or he picked up a minor knock before the game. Interesting. He didn't play in 3 out of 4 of Houston's last games. Unless Kinnear is worried about Hainault's mental game after such a shocking performance vs Honduras
    I get the feeling Hainault is being rested, but for the right value I feel he could be open to a trade. Btw, you're right about him being a lynchpin, 104 MLS games played, 100 started. Houston's asking price might be too high then?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post
    I
    Based on the season ending press conference I do think Silva, Hassli and Johnson might not be back.
    Good grief, why wouldn't Silva be back. With our first rounder gone in 2014 and Mariner distancing himself from the Academy, i don't see this happening, especially since he was inclined to start him.
    There is some wishful thinking going on here, let's not forget how many undesirables are sitting on money. I'm not sure Mariner can afford to release them all.

Also, O'Dea is going nowhere. TFC finally get a CB with a pedigree why would they want to remove him and face the daunting task of acquiring 2 new CBs? O'Dea is not great for the money but considering players are coming from a Mariner/Cochrane collaboration, i'll take it. Could be a lot worse. Eck is a bigger black hole of money if the intention is to keep playing him out of position. Ideally we try and sell him back to Championship or comparable.

Johnson is a waste at FW, his mobility is deceptively meaningless. At the end of the day he does not score goals or create enough for his teammates. Status quo on DPs may be just fine, Hassli is only 31 and good with his feet, Silva just behind him and Koev could easily work. They also provide insulation for injury since they're almost interchangeable. Johnson cannot carry an offense when called upon.

imo the biggest need is a proven two-way, playmaking MF to support Frings and takeover the middle of the field in 2014.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nonc View Post
    Johnson is a waste at FW, his mobility is deceptively meaningless. At the end of the day he does not score goals or create enough for his teammates. Status quo on DPs may be just fine, Hassli is only 31 and good with his feet, Silva just behind him and Koev could easily work. They also provide insulation for injury since they're almost interchangeable. Johnson cannot carry an offense when called upon.
    I think when you boil it down, Johnson is just not consistent enough to be a starter for a playoff MLS team.

Misses too many chances and when he actually was in his preferred spot in a three forward system he wouldn't move the ball well. We'd have guys streaking in who would be clear on goal if they received the simple pass but RJ was always head-down, going for it himself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Evan James got released , he would be somebody i would invite to camp to see what he has to offer.

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/mls/story/?id=408674

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I posted this in another thread and forgive me if it's been discussed here already. (Ihaven't read the whole thread yet.)

I think this post is relevant here as well:

Also as a side note. I'm to lazy to dig it up... but concerning the young DP rule, is that in addition to 3 DP's, or, within the 3 DP's. Is it 1 young DP per team or up to 3? etc....

If it's up to 3 young DP's per team... TFC needs a booster shot injection of that. Start with 2. Then after Koevs is done add a 3rd.

Forget Hasli, forget Frings. Get two young up and coming South American forward studs on the cheap with this rule. ML$E would have to spend there money big time, but it would be better for the cap and allow us to add a solid MLSer at $300,000 in exchange for Hasli and Frings, all at the same salary cap hit while still having 3 dp's.

Great way to extract an extra $300,000 in salary cap space and a potent move from ML$E in these tough times.

Am I out to lunch?

TFC needs to pounce on this rule change.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by olo114 View Post
    Evan James got released , he would be somebody i would invite to camp to see what he has to offer.

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/mls/story/?id=408674
    not impressed with James, TFC Academy already has better forwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    I posted this in another thread and forgive me if it's been discussed here already. (Ihaven't read the whole thread yet.)

Also as a side note. I'm to lazy to dig it up... but concerning the young DP rule, is that in addition to 3 DP's, or, within the 3 DP's. Is it 1 young DP per team or up to 3? etc....

If it's up to 3 young DP's per team... TFC needs a booster shot injection of that. Start with 2. Then after Koevs is done add a 3rd.

Forget Hasli, forget Frings. Get two young up and coming South American forward studs on the cheap with this rule. ML$E would have to spend there money big time, but it would be better for the cap and allow us to add a solid MLSer at $300,000 in exchange for Hasli and Frings, all at the same salary cap hit while still having 3 dp's.

Great way to extract an extra $300,000 in salary cap space and a potent move from ML$E in these tough times.

Am I out to lunch?

I'd kill to have a U23 injection of: South American, Central American, Japanese, Mexican.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post

Am I out to lunch?

Problem is that South American players are unreliable in MLS. It's a total crap shoot as to whether they pan out. For every Montero there are a few Denilsons and Vittis. I am all good for aiming for players from down there but I feel getting more than one on DP deal is just too risky.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

personally i find this thread amusing in that so many people are assuming a return of Frings and Koevermans. who did they think they were coming to play for again? what style of football were they expecting to be playing? does anyone think either of them are impressed (as professionals) by "no frills football", or by a raving lunatic on the sidelines? i'd be interested to see what kind of "out" clauses their contracts have. dunno if others have stated this already, but i'm predicting we don't see Frings or Koevermans in a TFC jersey ever again.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shavar Thomas is going to be in the re-entry draft now. It'll be interesting to see who else will be available. I think we need to hit that draft hard. Hopefully some solid MLSers are available.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get the feeling that if he's still a cap hit, Mariner would keep him. I can't see PM admitting failure in the JDG trade and getting rid of the only asset from the trade.

I would hate to see Johnson go. Although his strike rate was a bit low, his potential to score great goals is clear. But I do get the feeling he's not happy here and hasn't been for awhile. Watching him in person, his body language on turnovers and on dumb plays showed his frustration. He probably has a club option year left on his contract, so I'd wonder if he could block the club from exercising that option. Chivas could use a striker to replace Juan Pablo Angel, I'd wonder if they'd be interested. I wouldn't mind getting Ante Jazic ($118K) in return even if he's near retirement.

I'm 50:50 on Hassli. If we get rid of Johnson, he has to stay, but I would really like him to take a small pay cut to stay so we can free up that DP spot. He was on a front loaded contract, but his guaranteed compensation last year was $790K. Not sure how Mariner can work the contract for it to be under $350K excluding bonuses. Even if we can't work that out and he's still our third DP, I wouldn't oppose a Koevermans / Hassli partnership up top, or Hassli providing cover for Koevermans late in the season.
    weed man is in the same catch as merosivic last year...he'll have to take a significant pay decrease to stay; see if he says yes to something merosevic said no to

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We can always trade a depth player for an international spot if need be, but your point is well taken. From what I've seen of Dicoy for club and country, and it has been limited, I would be fine keeping him even in a depth role. Strong CBs like him are a valuable asset in this league, from an in-game standpoint but also for trade bait.
    what depth player would someone want off our roster for a valued international spot...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Following players take up int spots
    -Eckersley
    -Frings
    -Freddy Hall
    -Hassli
    -Koevermans
    -Lambe
    -O'Dea
    -Williams
    -Plata

Johnson, Frei and Kocic have green cards or US citizenship

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLS_Int...l_Roster_Slots

So if TFC wants to sign more foreign players, either have to release/trade some int spot players or acquire int spots from another team

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

after years of toiling, David Edgar was finally getting regular minutes for Burnley at CB until a caretaker manager takeover, now he's not being used again. his future seems unclear. not sure if he'd want to play for TFC or in the MLS but he'd be a worthwhile DP @ about $1,250,000.