RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TFC post season media scrum

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/...C%20turnaround

Well, at least Mariner has balls.

Most of the players seemed to support Mariner, though Frings and O'Dea were not at the conference. Ryan Johnson expressed reservation. I don't think he's going to be back next season.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He publicly shits on Silva as too high a draft pick, and reiterates his disappointment with Hassli for staying behind for his child's birth. Probably gonna trade both next.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was watching the Molinaro tweets go by, and I was in freaking disbelief. I don't even know where to start. I have never ever seen so many guys question their manager in public, and vice versa. It was beyond chaos.

Go back and look at the tweets (starting about 5 hours ago, as of this post)
    https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro

At first I thought this site was down because of the storm, but I can't help but think someone friendly to Mariner or Cochrane didn't want this site up during that. (I know this is unlikely, but can't help saying it, what the hell, it's the interweb)
    Last edited by ensco; 10-30-2012 at 05:25 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Read the summary of what went on, and followed Molinaro's live tweeted updates. Found it infuriating.

After this many years, to hear "we think we can compete for a playoff spot next year" (such a high bar!), is just sickening. I'm also positively boggled by Cochrane and Mariner's suggestion that the team improved over their tenure. The results don't support that assertion at all. Neither did the quality of play. Oh, but the players, uh, "learned" and stuff. Great stuff, that "learning".

Just shut up and go away. Mariner, to his credit (?), really seems to be a true believer in his nonsense - but it's still nonsense. The only flickers of inspired play I saw from this team, came from guys he buried on the bench for weeks at a time. The rest was pure mud porridge.

Short of some incredibly inspired roster moves this winter, give me one reason to care about next season.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We should start a comprehensive list of excuses floated by the management team why we can't be competitive.

Aron Winter, injuries, major league soccer FO, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Short of some incredibly inspired roster moves this winter, give me one reason to care about next season.
    Because we are going to watch these guys burn in the fire. Sit back and grab your marshmallows.

Excuses only have so long of a shelf life before people get tired of hearing them.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 10-30-2012 at 05:25 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    He publicly shits on Silva as too high a draft pick, and reiterates his disappointment with Hassli for staying behind for his child's birth. Probably gonna trade both next.
    But first he needs to make sure he burns his bridges with both of them, and further torpedoes their trade values because every team knows he has no choice but to get rid of them. Genius.

I've had enough of these clowns. That's all I can really say. Beyond that, I just don't care. Give me a reason to care, TFC.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

"It's incumbent on all of us ... to dedicate ourselves to be positive, to get the right people in and to put the product right on the field. That's what we've been charged to do, and that's what we're going to do. I have no doubts that we can do it. Absolutely none," Mariner said.

And after a 14 game winless streak, I have no faith that you are the right person for the job. Absolutely none.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Who could blame a guy wanting to be home for a childs birth, especially a meaningless game against Shitlumbus or anyone else for that matter.
    Last edited by Torontotonto; 10-30-2012 at 05:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he said he has quote "seven" players of MLS starting quality on his roster, does anybody wanna play a game? Guess who those players are? from back to front

1. Frei
    2. O'dea
    3. Eckersley
    4. Frings
    5. Lambe
    6. Koevermans

I would also say that of course these players are good enough to start in the mls
    1. Kocic
    2. Henry
    3. Morgan
    4. Silva
    5. Avila
    6. Johnson

players like dunfield are bench players, but with the heart he showed, i feel bad leaving him off my list ! who did I forget? i would think most everybody else is a bench player or.. just reserve game quality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So many messed up things said by Mariner, Cochrane and several players.

Too many to mention.

Very depressing and cowardly on many fronts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha oh and... reggie lambe said something about us having another bermudan on trial? hopefully he's more of a 'lambe' and not a 'hall' because really lambe is a decent player in my opinion but hall is god awful, and i bet mariner is bringing in another poor player because he's from bermuda.

if you're going to bring in a bermudan paulie bring in Nakhi Wells on the cheap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Players dependent on the employment by TFC would tend to suck up to FO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we get rid of Silva we are stupid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are not going to make playoffs next year with these guys in charge. Cant wait for the next rebuilding marketing campaign.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Milos Kocic is the man. His interview showed how much he cares about the game. He works hard and is emotionally attached to the team. He also is straight up and wouldn't say he liked Mariner.

Trade Frei. Kocic is our guy.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's about all that needs to be said about this.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My favourite moment was when Mariner was asked about who brought in Aceval and Caicedo. I appreciated that line of questioning but the intentions of the question were never answered. Mariner never admitted that he was responsible for bringing in these players and not all can be blamed on Winter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably not the most popular position here based on what I read on these forums But I generally have been in agreement with Duane Rollins on Mariner, namely he needs a season to be judged upon and that the last thing this team needs is more instability, and it looks like that is going to be the path that the team is deciding to take no matter what we all think.

But I have to confess I have found Mariner's words, particularly today, very very troubling. Troubling enough that I am much less convinced today that he is the guy to take this team forward.

What purpose is there to come out and say in a public forum that he would not have chosen Luis Silva if he was in charge when the SuperDraft took place last winter? Who benefits from saying that publicly? For that matter why say it even privately?

To what purpose do you call out Eric Hassli for being away for the birth of his child after the fact?

Put on top of these two just from today how he took a shit on Aron Winter both in public and if you believe the rumours in Cathal Kelly's articla on Sunday by being the "source" for his article. And add to these rumoured dust ups with fans, the words he is alleged to have told JdG on his way out the door to Dallas and a picture of a real loose cannon is starting to appear.

Maybe Mariner felt he needed to take this approach to try and make sure that some of the rotten stink from 2012 rolls off of his shoulders so that he can go into 2013 with less proverbial baggage than he would end up with otherwise.... f***d if I know the reasoning here, just as I did not know the reasoning for him stating that Eckersley is the fullback for the future while stubbornly keeping him at centre back all season when options were available for him at the position (just one of many on field decisions worthy of questioning).

I get that Mariner has a real tough job, and there is a long road ahead, but I simply do not get why he would to choose to make his job more difficult and his position less tenable by publicly carrying on with antics such as the ones we all saw today?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What exactly did Mariner say about Silva? I'm watching the videos of the conference and I can't find it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    What exactly did Mariner say about Silva? I'm watching the videos of the conference and I can't find it...
    He said if he were selecting at the draft he wouldn't have taken him with the #4 pick, the suggestion being they had other priorities, which might well be true but is completely tactless and stupid to say out loud.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This year was bad, we will be better next year, ect, ect. Same song and dance the give us at the end of each year when they try to get us to renew seasons.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Part 10 of the interviews. Someone poses the question/clarification that Mariner and scouts would have opted for someone other than Silva with the #4. Asked if he can say who that other person was - Mariner said no.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bgnewf View Post
    but I simply do not get why he would to choose to make his job more difficult and his position less tenable by publicly carrying on with antics such as the ones we all saw today?
    Answer: lord, he's not very bright.

Seriously. I find the generally more patient and accepting position of him unsupportable on evidence. I keep hearing "give him more time," but he had more than half a season and not only put together the weakest lineup this team has ever had but actually managed to statistically decline from Winter across the board, once Koevermans was out.

Add that to these comments, his comments to DeGuzman before he left, his decision to release Soolsma and comments to the media that Wiedeman is as good ... it's baffling how anyone has any confidence from anything this man has done. He rode a Danny K hotstreak to a handful of wins in which were for the most part played even or played off the pitch despite the final scoreline. Since then we've had 40% passing, less than half the passes attempted and completed of our opponents....

People can put this all down to tactical adaption to the tools at hand, but that's naive to the extreme, both with respect to the role he had in putting the team together and his choices in using them.

We haven't had a win since JULY, for fuck's sake. Why would anyone in their right mind preach "stability" with this guy at the helm? There's simply no evidence it will happen.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bgnewf View Post
    What purpose is there to come out and say in a public forum that he would not have chosen Luis Silva if he was in charge when the SuperDraft took place last winter? Who benefits from saying that publicly? For that matter why say it even privately?

To what purpose do you call out Eric Hassli for being away for the birth of his child after the fact?
    To prove to everyone that you are the boss and are not to be messed with, when your own bosses are famous weasels and don't really support you, because they never actually really support anybody, ever, of course.

Working for these people would make a good manager crazy. It's avert-your-gaze carnage to see what it does to a bad one.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

supposedly Mariner wanted Nick DeLeon instead of Luis Silva as per Ives.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the current management team is kept in place next season, it will be a colossal blunder, even by this organization's standards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    If the current management team is kept in place next season, it will be a colossal blunder, even by this organization's standards.
    They will trade away our future is desperate attempt to squeak into the playoffs and save their own skins. I expect to see draft picks,and most likely Silva, and Morgan (if rumors are to be believed) being shipped out for a bunch of MLS vets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    They will trade away our future is desperate attempt to squeak into the playoffs and save their own skins. I expect to see draft picks,and most likely Silva, and Morgan (if rumors are to be believed) being shipped out for a bunch of MLS vets.

This news is very sad and disheartening.

This organization is really like a bad dream playing over and over again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only caught about half of what was said during Football Today broadcast. I caught a bit about the "fringe" players not being good enough to play on any other team let alone TFC. Logan Emory, Jeremy Hall and Andrew Wiedeman did the interview together and they looked like deer in the headlights. They all professed loyalty for the coach but it seemed like they were going through the motions. One thing I'll say is that if Mariner wanted them to do the interview together he either wanted to make them sweat or because he's planning on bringing them back.

Hassli
    , looked nervous, maybe unsure as to his future, and tried to be positive. Frings was not there but Mariner went out of his way to say that he "spoke" with him a while back and Frings was looking forward to coming back to finish his career on a high note, which came out as him speaking for Frings like he was dying to return and kiss his ass. It really sounded like he was talking about Terry Dunfield. Koevermans, said that he couldnt put a date for his return, he went as far as saying he wouldnt even say April or May. He didnt want to put a date on paper and say on this date he's planning to return to football, because didnt want to be criticized if he wasnt available by that date. It sounded more like he wasnt sure whether he was coming back at all, in MLS or TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A position to give a manager more time sounds acceptable, when there is a story behind it, like we want to implement this strategy, or try this and that. But the man is empty, he has no story to keep anyone looking forward excited. The style will depend on players. How do you sign players then? How do you sell this product without a story?