Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I support the idea of hiring a president, but even if this happens - does anyone really have faith it will make the difference? This organization has been unable to hire a competent manager in 6 years, I have little to no faith that they will all of a sudden get it right in the president role. I'm also not sure that even with the president role they would clear the slate of corporate politics that would be needed to proceed. They'll probably promote an Anselmi yes man into a VP role to watch the presidents back...

Anyway, if we get one, I bet it's Earl.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it would be irresponsible of a new President to come in and slash and burn. They need a minimum of 6 months to observe and get a real feel for a place before making moves. I'm fine with that. I'll live with Mariner for the time being if they get the right President. The President position is more important to this club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    I support the idea of hiring a president, but even if this happens - does anyone really have faith it will make the difference? This organization has been unable to hire a competent manager in 6 years, I have little to no faith that they will all of a sudden get it right in the president role. I'm also not sure that even with the president role they would clear the slate of corporate politics that would be needed to proceed. They'll probably promote an Anselmi yes man into a VP role to watch the presidents back...

If it's Earl it's a failure and I won't renew my tix, simple as that. They need someone from outside who can take an unbiased look at everything and bring new ideas to the table.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it's Earl as President, I give up.
    Peter Wilt or James Easton, please.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or Paul Beirne!

That's the MLSE way.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    If Mariner and Co. aren't booted before start of next season, then I am just going to ditch TFC for good. I can't support a club that is brain dead. Maybe I should just follow a new team in MLS and go couple of their games and when they come to BMO field to play against TFC.
    Says the guy with the Canadian National team as his avatar

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lobo View Post
    I completely agree the last thing we want to see is a new soccer exec slashing and burning right away. So, Mariner is the coach for 2013 which offers no hope whatsoever, it is what it is. Given that, here's the timeline I'd like to see ...

Since next season is a lost cause, I will be just fine if Mariner gets the axe mid-season, as horrible as that always is. But it would allow our new football executive time to analyse and plan for the new direction, hire new people and have them in place before the 2013 summer transfer window. Get an early start on our 2014, our next meaningful season.

insert Chelski comparisons here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I think it would be irresponsible of a new President to come in and slash and burn. They need a minimum of 6 months to observe and get a real feel for a place before making moves. I'm fine with that. I'll live with Mariner for the time being if they get the right President. The President position is more important to this club.
    There is nothing wrong with a prez who has an agenda, wants his style, and has a coach on his mind. I actually envious of Impacts' Saputo for having a vision. He knows what kind of show his team needs to stage. He is not afraid to part with hot MLS commodity, to get what he wants.
    Our only hope is to get a respected prez with strong vision and ready to act, and not just sit around and observe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Says the guy with the Canadian National team as his avatar
    I will take current CSA management over TFC FO/ML$E. At least they're serious about soccer now and doing things right for now. So there's hope unlike TFC where there's no sign of hope.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by starter View Post
    There is nothing wrong with a prez who has an agenda, wants his style, and has a coach on his mind. I actually envious of Impacts' Saputo for having a vision. He knows what kind of show his team needs to stage. He is not afraid to part with hot MLS commodity, to get what he wants.
    Our only hope is to get a respected prez with strong vision and ready to act, and not just sit around and observe.
    I've seen new leadership come in in a range of organizations. It's rarely a good idea to just walk in and start firing. Having a strong vision is a must, I agree. But change management is important too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PAOK17 View Post
    That's what I meant. A new president won't clean house right away. For him to do that he would have to already have a team already in mind to hire and must have been following our situation for some time to know what to do. Who actually does that much research for a job they don't even have?

Mariner could only be fired by Anselmi right now and should have been by now. A president won't do it.

But when he does get fired, because let's face it, he will, a nice two stick or banner could be "We told you so!"
    I can't wait to see the back of Mariner. what an ass.
    I feel sorry for whoever comes to this shitshow. the most important thing is that they are given the autonomy to do the job properly.

edit: and when I say "I can't wait to see the back of Mariner. what an ass." I don't mean he has a nice ass. i'm sure someone, somewhere might think he does, I do not. this is a nice ass!
    Last edited by Belfast_Boy; 11-05-2012 at 04:15 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen new leadership come in in a range of organizations. It's rarely a good idea to just walk in and start firing. Having a strong vision is a must, I agree. But change management is important too.
    If the new guy wants to install his regime, he should ask Anselmi to do the cleaning ahead of time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by starter View Post
    If the new guy wants to install his regime, he should ask Anselmi to do the cleaning ahead of time.
    Ha, yeah. That is another way to do it. I wouldn't mind that one bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But so, so sooooooooooo satisfying. Good lord I'm literally drooling at the thought of these bums being gone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    But so, so sooooooooooo satisfying. Good lord I'm literally drooling at the thought of these bums being gone.
    Well, as Starter said, that person could make that it a condition of taking the job. Something like, "I need to bring in my own people."

But we're probably getting ahead of ourselves....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, as Starter said, that person could make that it a condition of taking the job. Something like, "I need to bring in my own people."

But we're probably getting ahead of ourselves....
    The likelihood of something quality changing with the TFC structure is the same likelihood that whoever wins tomorrow's American election will actually make a difference.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The likelihood of something quality changing with the TFC structure is the same likelihood that whoever wins tomorrow's American election will actually make a difference.
    Ya, its more likely the new President would be handcuffed by having to retain the existing front office staff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's possible, but doing everything the same isn't a recipe for success either. Neither is bringing in a new coach with the current front office staff. New leadership can and often does make a big difference.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just to play devil's advocate, what if the president is Erik Soler and given the trust he has with Hans Backe, opts to make an immediate move. Backe then wants his own guys supporting him and the wholen house is cleaned before January.

Is that a bad thing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Just to play devil's advocate, what if the president is Erik Soler and given the trust he has with Hans Backe, opts to make an immediate move. Backe then wants his own guys supporting him and the wholen house is cleaned before January.

Is that a bad thing?
    No. Soler and Backe have their issues, but they've beaten the hell out of what we've done so far and we've also spent on multiple DPs. True, New York attracts Thierry Henry because it's NY, and he did trade DeRo; but we haven't had anything close to that level of professionalism organizationally.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    No. Soler and Backe have their issues, but they've beaten the hell out of what we've done so far and we've also spent on multiple DPs. True, New York attracts Thierry Henry because it's NY, and he did trade DeRo; but we haven't had anything close to that level of professionalism organizationally.
    I think Soler and Backe had to deal with a lot of interference from Red Bull HQ, but I still think Soler and Backe stumbled onto miserly success they've had. I mean, you must be even worse manager than Mariner to screw up with Thierry Henry on your team.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lobo View Post
    I completely agree the last thing we want to see is a new soccer exec slashing and burning right away. So, Mariner is the coach for 2013 which offers no hope whatsoever, it is what it is. Given that, here's the timeline I'd like to see ...

Since next season is a lost cause, I will be just fine if Mariner gets the axe mid-season, as horrible as that always is. But it would allow our new football executive time to analyse and plan for the new direction, hire new people and have them in place before the 2013 summer transfer window. Get an early start on our 2014, our next meaningful season.
    Some thoughtful posts, including Belfast_Boy's and this one. I agree that it would make much more sense for the new President to take time to learn the situation and properly assess Mariner and Cochrane before acting. I have little doubt that the new President will come to the same conclusions as the supporters, just with more deliberate analysis and planning for the future. 2014 could be the start of something could in Anselmi hires the right President, and doesn't mess this up as badly as he has with Mo, Winter, and Mariner.

Is that a bad thing?
    Not at all, I just want it well thought out and not a kneejerk reaction.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is that a bad thing?
    I've worked in a few places where new leadership has come in, with a vision and very strong agenda always (that's what leaders have). In most cases, they may have known within a month what needs to be done, and who needs to go, but they waited because there is a staff underneath that has loyalties, concerns about their own job, etc. If you don't look like you've treated people fairly, you're going to end up with trouble down the line.

That said, running a sports team is a bit different than most other organizations. Maybe the same rules don't apply.