Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
^ I wouldn't give Mariner the same length of time that Winter got, but more than three quarters of a season. What's wrong with you? First I'm too eager to run guys out the door, now I want to keep them too long. Do you have anything else you want to say on my behalf? I'm just asking because you're tried to put your words in my mouth a few times already.

I'm certainly unhappy with Mariner's performance as most people are, but I just gotta see how the off-season and the start of 2013 is gonna play out. Is that really as incredibly unreasonable as you seem to be implying?
What worries me about this? We are giving the keys to the off season to someone that has shown no indication that they can source MLS talent. That same person is given the "MLS playoffs or your are out" ultimatum.

I expect to see our future mortgaged for instant gratification - and I don't mean a playoff winning or top team, but a mediocre side attempting to sneak into the playoffs. I expect to see promising you players like Silva and Morgan dealt out for MLS vet's that can perform today. I expect draft picks to get dealt out for MLS players that can perform today.

That is my main problem with keeping him. We are in a position where a competent manager can start to build a real team. Hassli can come off the books and we are down to two DP's. After next season we can be down to none - which gives us a huge amount of cap space to use on players that are not old and broken. We have a number of under performers on option years apparently that can be cleared out and replaced.

So for me it's not just about yet another unsuccessful year under Mariner, it's the fact that he can easily screw us for the next several years by bringing in the wrong players.

That said, I have no faith in this guy. Remember, this guy was supposed to be the MLS expert that would navigate complex system and bring us the talent that we need. So far we have seen him:
  • grossly overpay for British players
  • deal a promising draft pick out for an injured DP (in what I am guessing was a desperation move to go on a good short term run to make him look better and/or a directive from the brass to help with season seat sales)
  • sign a bunch of MLS rejects
  • a strange and more than slightly suspicious focus on players from Bermuda.
  • talking up under performing/mediocre players while calling our and marginalizing our few bright spots.
  • Benching players that could contribute giving them no reason and thereby giving them no motivation or ability to up their game and fight their way into the the first team.
  • Playing players out of position while the benched players are rotting away.
  • publically throwing players under the bus. Calling out Frings, saying he wouldn't have drafted Silva first, ect.

What I haven't seen is this MLS expert do one deal within the MLS that made me think he actually knows how to work the league.

I could go on and on, but this guy has shown nothing to indicate he should stay. Nothing.