Hybrid View

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DaBandit View Post
    Wow, quite the turn around for you t-boy.. Just 2 months ago you where mr raw raw mariner and saying what a great coach he was.. Glad you finally came around to see what many of us saw after 2 games.
    I honestly still believe that the opinions on the forum were a little premature! People were judging Mariner when we was actually winning games! And there were protests when we were winning (such BAD timing IMO!). I think the fans should look at any NEW manager (whether he's new to the club, or promoted) with a fresh start. I don't think many fans did that with Mariner, and the opinion of his coaching wasn't based on his management, but due to his prior link to the team and what he had/had not done in his previous role.

I started with a clean slate, judged what I saw. Liked what I saw to start with. But then after 14 games of nothing, changed my mind. That's pretty much the same as with Aron Winter actually, and Preki. For me, the tea lady can be promoted to head coach, and I'm not going to judge until she gets results/bad results.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    I honestly still believe that the opinions on the forum were a little premature! People were judging Mariner when we was actually winning games! And there were protests when we were winning (such BAD timing IMO!). I think the fans should look at any NEW manager (whether he's new to the club, or promoted) with a fresh start. I don't think many fans did that with Mariner, and the opinion of his coaching wasn't based on his management, but due to his prior link to the team and what he had/had not done in his previous role.

I started with a clean slate, judged what I saw. Liked what I saw to start with. But then after 14 games of nothing, changed my mind. That's pretty much the same as with Aron Winter actually, and Preki. For me, the tea lady can be promoted to head coach, and I'm not going to judge until she gets results/bad results.
    I would say this is true, within limits. The majority of people weren't going after Mariner after his four games because we went unbeaten. The same is true of Winter when he'd just led us to that draw against Santos. But yes, in both cases there were early adopters who were premature.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I would say this is true, within limits. The majority of people weren't going after Mariner after his four games because we went unbeaten. The same is true of Winter when he'd just led us to that draw against Santos. But yes, in both cases there were early adopters who were premature.
    There were those that were looking at those four games and were noticing that although the points were there, there were some concerning stats.

I know I took some flack for suggesting we save our praise as the teams they were playing were "cream puffs" ... Or least playing like them. New England was a prime example, a 2-2 road draw in which many would be happy on the surface. Except they had about 36% possession which when combined with declining possession in other matches raised flags for some. We even debated it extensively in threads.

For some, the results were not exactly inspiring and warning signs, which appeared very early on were an indication that Mariners team would continually be out possessed, out shot and ultimately out scored over the long term.