Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default In advance of Denime's news thread, has anyone seen the Star front page today?

It's on the front page of the print edition but not online, here's a link http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer...ling-mls-kelly

Don't know what to make of Kelly a couple of weeks ago he was scathing about MLSE now he's writing a semi apologist piece on them.

Mods please merge when Denime creates his thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting article. I can vouch for a few of the things in the article, including the view on scouting in the first part of the year. I hadn't heard the stuff about Danny K playing in the reserve game. And the league objection to DeRo's raise certainly tracks with things I had heard at the time. The Mellberg story rings true as well.

I've got to give Kelly credit for this one. He is not an MLSE apologist. But this calls into question exactly who might be partially at fault for TFCs troubles. At least two or three of the more serious parts.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, very interesting article. Definitely some eye-openers in there. However, I also see it as "Life according to Cathal Kelly and unnamed sources at TFC." One thing I really wonder about: why is this article coming out now? Why not in July or August? Smacks a bit of a desperate attempt by some folks at TFC to save their jobs, to help season ticket renewals, and to deflect from six years of non-stop failure at TFC. Blame only being given to Aron Winter and MLS, very interesting. We've seen enough curious things said & done by others at TFC to know there's more to that story. But Cathal loves the boulevard press style. A story with drama and some shadowy villains will be much more appealing to him, than an in-depth piece that tries to look at all sides of a story.

Basically, just because the league (& Aron Winter) were wrong, doesn't mean that those now at TFC were right.

I can believe that Winter was too fussy about the wrong things, and made some very curious decisions about player management. We never got the "best FO in the league" as promised. (We got an unemployed former youth coach from the Netherlands; and a bizarre -- and as yet unclarified -- division of duties with Mariner who obviously had a completely different outlook from Winter.) However, we also know that some TFC players have complained about doing passing drills (even though they obviously needed them), and that this club has had a history of unprofessional behaviour by players, of undermining the coach from above & below, of cliques/factions among players, etc. Makes sense that Winter wanted more professionalism. It seems he may have overdone it.

So Winter "was repeatedly given scouting reports on overseas upgrades. Though the team desperately required reinforcement, no decision was ever made. Winter hadn't bothered watching the tapes." I see, very interesting. Did we still have any international spots open at the time? It seems what has been missing most in the big picture, is decent middle-salary North-American MLS stalwarts, not really more overseas upgrades. Anyway, Winter definitely did agree to some suggested "upgrades," like Miguel Aceval, Geovanny Caicedo, Andy Iro, and Dasan Robinson -- to name just a few defensive signings. Maybe that's why he stopped listening?

There's lots more, once I get to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reminds me of the interview with Geoff Cameron had a similar type of issue when going to Stoke i.e. He had to deal with the MLS machine.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/blog/_/...id/365?cc=5901

Q: Geoff, what have the last two months been like for you?

A: Very hectic and stressful. Everything you can imagine. Dealing with the MLS wasn’t the best thing. Being in limbo for a couple of months was very, very stressful, because I didn’t know if I would be here or [in the U.S.]. Getting the deal done and coming here and training -- and then having some more red tape that I had to deal with concerning the visa -- it’s been hard to focus. I’m here to play football and that’s all I want to do. That was my focus.
    Q: How worried were you, at any stage, that the deal wouldn’t be completed?

A: I was really worried because it’s one of those things like, you waited your whole life to do this, and your dreams are right there, and it can come down to people saying, "No, we’re not allowing you to get your work permit."

I think it was more stressful dealing with MLS because they had the ability to say "OK, well, we’re not going to sell you." They were controlling my aspirations and dreams of playing here, and that’s always tough because you leave your fate in someone else’s hands. Now I’m more in control of my destiny and contract. The player rights here are amazing.
    Q: How much did you know about Stoke City beforehand?

A: I knew a little bit. I saw them a few times, including when Peter [Crouch] scored that amazing goal against Manchester City [in March]. It’s a team that has a system and the fact it finished [two points off] the top 10 ... obviously that’s an accomplishment. Stoke is a team that’s established. At the same time, there was another team interested in getting me, but you had to deal with MLS.

Q: Which Americans did you talk to or consult with before you moved to England?

A: One-hundred percent with Clint [Dempsey] and Tim [Howard] and just all the guys who’ve played in Europe. They said to just be patient with the whole transfer situation and obviously with MLS because they’ve dealt with it before and know how it’s run. But they all said, "Once you get over here, you’ll be fine. Just get your feet wet and keep your head down and stay focused on working hard."

That’s what all those guys have done, and look at them, they’re pretty well-known players in the EPL.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we've gone from a coach who supposedly didn't watch scouting videos, but spent too much time with the players watching game videos. To a coach who doesn't watch any of the game tapes & highlights being prepared by TFC's video analyst. Who scouts by watching the Euro Cup.

So we hear that TFC players started the game like zombies because Winter made them watch too much video pre-game. Then why did they start the games like zombies under Mariner? I'm thinking especially of a bunch of games when the team started tanking again under Mariner (after the short up-tick), where we repeatedly saw TFC starting games very poorly & with little effort or focus.

I can't remember Eckersley ever being "marginalized" under Winter. Unless you consider playing your natural position, RB, to be marginalized. I think he was injured briefly at some point? This season, Ecks started 31 games and played 32 games, total 2712 minutes. That's more than "Iron Man" Ryan Johnson (who missed a bit due to international duty). TFC has only played 33 games -- I just don't see the marginalized part, and makes we wonder how much other BS is in this article.

But wait, there's more....

EDIT: Just checked, Ecks' games & minutes played this season is much higher than any other player on TFC; RJ is closest but still less. I call bullshit.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 10-28-2012 at 09:57 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How is it that the league can ask every other team wether they should allow a player to join another team. Obviously any team that sees that player as a threat to their chances will try and veto the signing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man.. I just don't know what to believe any more.

I'd love to see someone like John Molinaro dig into this a bit.

But, man, this team, front office, and even league is such a fuck up it's hard to know WTF is going on.

One thing I feel pretty sure of..a coach that can't get a single win out of a team over a span of more than half a season, shouldn't be invited back.

But, in true TFC fashion.. he probably will be.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Considering what happened to Frings and Koevermans, I'm almost thankful that the league blocked the Melleberg deal (if its even true).

Besides, I think the real reason it was blocked is that TFC was essentially trying to circumvent the spirit of the cap. TFC would have been paying 5 DPs (Frings, Koevermans, Hassli, De Guzman and Melleberg).

I also highly doubt that other MLS teams blocked the deal because they though it would make TFC too good. It would only have made us slightly less shittier.

I agree with Whoop, just more excuse making. TFC is simply poorly run.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is such a bullshit article. I wanna point to this as a giveaway:

He was repeatedly given scouting reports on overseas upgrades. Though the team desperately required reinforcement, no decision was ever made. Winter hadn’t bothered watching the tapes.

He was too busy worrying about lengthy, pre-game video marathons that left players “looking like zombies” as they headed onto the pitch, according to another source.

“Analysis paralysis” is how an observer summed up Winter’s management style.

The losing streak to start the season got Winter headed in the direction of the plank. Ironically, it was their first league win that tipped him off it.

Danny Koevermans came on in the 63rd minute of that game against Philadelphia to score the game’s only goal. It was a cathartic moment of uplift.

As Koevermans came off the pitch, Winter told him he was playing in the reserve game that followed immediately
    afterward, generally a proving ground for fringe players. Richard Eckersley, another marginalized regular who’d appeared as a sub, was also put in the reserve game. The move was perceived teamwide as a gross insult.

It really depends on who was making the scouting reports and whether Aron Winter was prepared for the opposition prior to the report and the report just being a useless piece of paper. Kinda like spending 4 days to write a report that will only be read in 15 minutes. (ie. TPS reports....from Office Space) The video pregame seems like a teaching tool to let the players know whats going on. IMO, if you are not someone who is well understood verbally because of change in language its a great tool to get your point accross.

Koevermans was out of shape and he played a total of 27 minutes that game.

Eckersley came in the 54th minute for Reggie Lambe. Jeremy Hall started the game at Right Back in a 4-3-3. Cann was paired with Henry at centre back. Eckersley played a total of 36 minutes that game.

There's no info on how much Eckersley and Koevermans played in the reserve game.

This was late May. Within days, the decision had been made to pull a management switch — Winter would take over the youth academy; the current director of player development, Paul Mariner, would become coach.

Winter initially agreed to the change. But the night before it was announced, he asked to be relieved of all duties.

I would have left also. If this is true, than its obvious that Cathal Kelly doesnt even read his own articles because this reads like, "If you dont like me well fuck you than, because you're more likely to fuck this up beyond fucking recognition. Bitch."

Cathal "One Source" Kelly

“That’s the way you treat kids in an academy, not grown men,” one source close to the team said.
    “Things already weren’t great, but that was it for a lot of guys,” one source said.
    “Absolutely untrue,” one source, who would know, said of Garber’s explanation. “Not 99 per cent untrue. It’s 100 per cent untrue.”
    “If you come to me and ask, ‘Do you think Kansas City should get (Manchester United star) Wayne Rooney?’, what do you think I’m going to tell you?” an insider fumed.

Cathal "League Source" Kelly

"When the league talks with clubs about signing (designated players), about a significant amount of guaranteed money, they want to make sure the long-term health of the team and the league are taken into consideration,” said a league source, trying to summarize a philosophical position that might most charitably be called unusual.

One suspects two factors aside from the financial. As a Scandinavian, Mellberg appeals to none of the sizable ethnic minorities MLS covets as fans; and also the fact that he is a stoical defender rather than a zigzagging forward.

Whatever the reasons — and the league will not talk about them, on the record or off — MLS didn’t like the look of Mellberg.
    As it applies specifically to Toronto, part of the friction may have something to do with the 2009 signing of de Guzman. According to a league source, Toronto FC was advised against making the move by MLS. Anxious to acquire a hometown boy, the team convinced the league to push that deal through.

In conclusion Cathal Kelly is a correspondent from the bubble and this reads like a story spun by Earl Cochrane and evidently also speaks to TFC's management in the sense that after 6 years in the league they are completely out of their realm when they're dealing with the players and the league. There's literally no oversight of the players movement and acquiring.

They're also leading themselves into a bigger whole by completely undermining and throwing an international known dutch coach in Aron Winter. There was talk of lack of support for Winter from day one and there's lack of support for Winter now that he's gone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    This is such a bullshit article. I wanna point to this as a giveaway:

It really depends on who was making the scouting reports and whether Aron Winter was prepared for the opposition prior to the report and the report just being a useless piece of paper. Kinda like spending 4 days to write a report that will only be read in 15 minutes. (ie. TPS reports....from Office Space) The video pregame seems like a teaching tool to let the players know whats going on. IMO, if you are not someone who is well understood verbally because of change in language its a great tool to get your point accross.

Koevermans was out of shape and he played a total of 27 minutes that game.

Eckersley came in the 54th minute for Reggie Lambe. Jeremy Hall started the game at Right Back in a 4-3-3. Cann was paired with Henry at centre back. Eckersley played a total of 36 minutes that game.

There's no info on how much Eckersley and Koevermans played in the reserve game.

I would have left also. If this is true, than its obvious that Cathal Kelly doesnt even read his own articles because this reads like, "If you dont like me well fuck you than, because you're more likely to fuck this up beyond fucking recognition. Bitch."

Cathal "One Source" Kelly

Cathal "League Source" Kelly

In conclusion Cathal Kelly is a correspondent from the bubble and this reads like a story spun by Earl Cochrane and evidently also speaks to TFC's management in the sense that after 6 years in the league they are completely out of their realm when they're dealing with the players and the league. There's literally no oversight of the players movement and acquiring.

They're also leading themselves into a bigger whole by completely undermining and throwing an international known dutch coach in Aron Winter. There was talk of lack of support for Winter from day one and there's lack of support for Winter now that he's gone.
    I agree with a lot of what you're saying. No doubt there were some issues with Winter (there are for every boss), but these examples, far from proving how bad he was, are all a matter of perspective. Like watching game tape to prove his incompetence - yeah I can see how some people might be bored with that. To me it shows he was prepared. It's all point of view stuff.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    This is such a bullshit article.

+1000. We know the players didn't rate Winter but the rest of this is a self-serving joke. That story is rotting, smelly tripe. The Star's sports editor should be embarrassed.

Just two examples:

1) To allow some source at TFC (I assume Cochrane or Mariner) to say this, and only this, about the Dero situation: "we wanted to make him a DP but the league wouldn't let us" .... I mean come on, how stupid do we look?

2) MLS was completely and totally right to stop the Mellberg insanity. There are literally a dozen veteran defenders who came into MLS in the last 18 months who were in their late 20s or 30s, who have significant WC experience (I'll find the list, Friedrich and Bernandez are just two), and who don't cost $1.5 million per year.

The comparables to Mellberg don't cost half that. They don't cost one quarter of that.

TFC shouldn't be allowed to destroy the league cost structure through their ineptitude. I'm grateful to Garber and Abbott for stepping in.

The only interesting "fact" in that stupid story is that TFC's crack scouts "found" Mellberg by watching Euro games. That I believe.

It's not just that we're dead last on the merits. I am ashamed of my team. I really am.
    Last edited by ensco; 10-28-2012 at 12:25 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I agree with a lot of what you're saying. No doubt there were some issues with Winter (there are for every boss), but these examples, far from proving how bad he was, are all a matter of perspective. Like watching game tape to prove his incompetence - yeah I can see how some people might be bored with that. To me it shows he was prepared. It's all point of view stuff.
    To me, this whole thing reads like Holger Osieck part II. A coach tries to instill some discipline (maybe too much) and the guys who want to move up in the world are now using those frictions to cover for their own ineptitude.

It's probably working. That's why they're still here; Anselmi and Beirne want to believe the narrative that makes them look least incompetent. Unfortunately, they're being sold a whopper. That they gave it to Cathal Kelly is no surprise; if they've read this load of convenient bullshit off to Molinario, he'd have asked questions.

It's also interesting that comments were turned off on the story. I wonder if Kelly requested that, after being asked for it by his sources.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There may be some aspects of this article that are true, but it reads very much like someone's narrative as opposed to the truth. The author's limited knowledge of the team's dealings and the league's rules makes it look like a snow-job. If someone is going to come out and say the MLS screwed us on the Melberg deal, then at least ask the questions like the one Narduch did above.

I wonder how MLS feels about being the fall-guys for TFCs ineptitude.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder who Cathal's one source is. Sounds like this one source is putting the blame on a former coach, instead of spending his energy on fixing the team. Another sign on how childish and incompetent the FO is.
    RWN - SoctoberFest! Champion '11, TFC Supporters Cup Champs '10, Indoor Champs '10 & '09, Niagara Cup Champs '09 & '08.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the front office supported winter supposedly by offering him the academy position, the discipline and drills were suited to youth coaching. he left because he didnt want it, but why would they go out and support him now?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This smells of corruption.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post
    TFC would have been paying 5 DPs (Frings, Koevermans, Hassli, De Guzman and Melleberg).
    The Hassli deal came about after the Mellberg deal fell through. Would've been 4 DPs by your logic not 5.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lets not forget it was MLS and Don Garber that highly recommended TFC to hire Mo Johnston

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sulfur View Post
    The Hassli deal came about after the Mellberg deal fell through. Would've been 4 DPs by your logic not 5.
    Meant to address the "5 DP" question. I don't see that at all. Hassli came after De Guzman was traded, same as Mellberg would have. It was always three DPs.

What Mariner resents is (i) being told that his offer to Mellberg was way off the market, and (ii) having his ineptitude made public, to his bosses and the world, as a result.

The lack of ideas in all this was always totally striking. We discussed it to death at the time. When TFC couldn't overpay for one DP (Mellberg), they went and traded an incredibly valuable asset for another (Hassli).

If the league office treats Mariner (or TFC) with disrespect, he/they have earned it.

Now, to get all this spun this way back in our faces ..... don't kid yourself, the audience for this dung was Anselmi and the Board, not the fans. The suits don't understand the details like we do, Mariner or Cochrane probably think this razzle-dazzle could work. After all, if it's on the front page, it must be true.

This "story" has moved me that much further from renewing, I can tell you that.
    Last edited by ensco; 10-28-2012 at 01:12 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got to admit, I only made it half way but what a load of crap!! Even if there are some truths written in there, there is a complete absence of accountability issued to the those that have been in charge for the past 5 months. Also, do a search for the word "Hassli" and you won't come up with anything.. not one mention. That's a pretty big elephant in Paul Mariners room to ignore. How can you bitch about MLS roster restrictions when you don't even mention extra DP we acquired out of desperation?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

galaxy have 5 DPs, he hasn't said anything about that

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd believe in someone like John Molinaro before I trust a Eurosnob hack with an axe to grind in Cathal Kelly.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    I'd believe in someone like John Molinaro before I trust a Eurosnob hack with an axe to grind in Cathal Kelly.
    I wouldn't even trust Molinaro any more. He was digging around about Mariner and the threats to the fans and decided to bury that when Mariner's father passed away, even tweeted that PM messaged him when PM's father passed. He's an ML$E insider through and through.

Kelly is such a joke, he knows nothing about any of the sports he "reports" on...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont fault Winter for not taking another job tfc offered. There is no point for him to be the head of the TFCA when you can be a youth coach at Ajax, he has a lot of good rep and would rather work his way up for Ajax than TFC.

As for the article, 6 years is all that needs to be said, making excuses 6 years in exemplifies how the people in charge have no idea what there doing. After 6 years any excuse is bullshit no matter the case, in that timespan the team should have learned to limit risk exposure and issues.

Lets look at the Adrian Heat scenario, another handshake deal? Really? 6 years and still trying to pull that bullshit.
    Last edited by Richard; 10-28-2012 at 01:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After a season long hiatus(tempory insanity from watching the worst team in the world) from commenting on any blog ,i feel that the time is right to re-discover my inner self.As a season ticket holder from day one i have always HOPED for championship quality,unfortunately we have been served up chicken feed.This is no different than many FOOTBALL clubs world wide,just read their web pages.Unfortunately there is only so much talent at the top(managers and coaches),the rest has to make do with tier 2.When you look at T.F.C. from a sliding scale of 1-100;where are we----90th maybe.-------Next year it will take at least 50pts to make the play-offs.This league is getting better each year;ARE WE.--------Everyone has the answer just not the right one.The club needs THE RIGHT COACH WITH THE RIGHT PLAYERS AT THE RIGHT TIME until then WE LIVE IN HOPE!---------I AM A LIFE LONG SUPPORTER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when it comes to listing the odds stacked against our Team...
    I'd rank MLS meddling somewhere above the breeze from lake Ontario but below the Feng Shui the team's dressing room.

Now here's a bigger question - If the league is messing with TFC - WHY are they doing it?
    If league parity is important to the MLS, then why wouldn't they try to elevate the worst team, instead of keep them down?
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by madzap View Post
    I wouldn't even trust Molinaro any more. He was digging around about Mariner and the threats to the fans and decided to bury that when Mariner's father passed away, even tweeted that PM messaged him when PM's father passed. He's an ML$E insider through and through.
    i disagree.

you're not going to do a good job as a reporter* if you get blacklisted from the subject you are reporting on - and going after Mariner right after his father passed is the kind of thing that would get you a permanent cold shoulder. There are battles to fight, and that probably wasn't one of them. Keep in mind, this isn't war journalism and government corruption - it's sports! If the teams shut out a reporter, then that reporter is useless. They need each other.

*sports reporting - keep that in mind.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    Now here's a bigger question - If the league is messing with TFC - WHY are they doing it?
    If league parity is important to the MLS, then why wouldn't they try to elevate the worst team, instead of keep them down?
    If MLS is meddling with TFC, who could blame them? The front office has taken a team with the best atmosphere & fan support in the league, and run it into the ground. The league must be pissed off.

It's a minor point in Kelly's article, but his description of the DeRo saga doesn't make any sense. He says DeRo wanted a DP contract, TFC tried to make it happen, the league wouldn't allow it, and then DeRo demanded a trade? Something doesn't add up. If the beef is with the league, why would he demand a trade which keeps him in MLS?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although I was pissed about Mariner's behaviour (and not for the first time), I gotta agree that you couldn't get anything out of that story the week his Dad died. However, I believe there is a story there that isn't being followed. Even before the news of Mariner's father passing away, it wasn't really being tracked down (except by one journalist, after a number of people contacted him). And I think there has been an issue with Mariner's behaviour for a while, based on comments from a number of long-standing season ticket holders in that area. Unfortunately for all these journalists, TFC is small potatoes, and they have many other things to report on.

RE the Kelly article -- I'm not happy with the league either. If there are rules, they should be transparent & they should explain decisions. It's all so hush-hush. Plenty of funny numbers when you look at some of the player's salaries, and other strange things. But I have to agree with Parkdale, all that is hardly among the top ten concerns in TFC's realm of ineptitude.

After 6 years of this, if the league office doesn't trust the TFC brain trust with tying their own shoes, it's hard to fault them. Plus we all know there's way more to the Dero story. To only be upset with the league there, and not mention the faults of Dero and his representatives, nor of TFC (e.g., handshake deal on signing, promising to break Dero's deal early and bump up his salary), that's crazy stuff.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 10-28-2012 at 06:08 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A compelling mix of excuse, truth, and probably some fabrication. But not enough criticism of Mariner. Anyway, all the more reason to breakaway from MLS ASAP. hopefully by 2020.