Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AdamAM View Post
    Soooo... now that we got the 1st and 3rd picks, who would you guys choose? I'm going with Farrell at 1 and Powers/Gomez/Zavaleta at 3. Looking good
    If its a central midfielder and a forward it will be a few good pick ups for TFC, but I'm curious why we had to give up R. Johnson and just draft a central midfielder. I wouldnt mind it if they went Mikey Lopez or Ryan Finley and a forward Mamadou Diof or Zavaletta.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What if we draft a right or left midfield. Those are some of the positions we need help with. Dont draft a CB. Mabye a RB or LB. what do you think we should draft.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Golden draft rule: you always draft the best player available. Never draft based on position especially team like TFC that needs talented players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should we trade the 1st overall pick? We should maybe shop the pick and see what we can get back.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In case anyone is interested, here is the list of the 54 players invited to the combine. I have sorted by position and then (I added) School ranking (based on final power rankings from NCAA). If we can grab a stud defender to bring into the mix that would be a good start no?

Name Position School School Ranking
    Tommy Muller Defender Georgetown 5
    Jordan Gafa Defender North Carolina 12
    Dylan Tucker-Gangnes Defender Washington 19
    Danny Wenzel Defender Wake Forest 20
    Kofi Opare Defender Michigan 21
    Brenton Griffiths Defender USF 32
    Joe Franco Defender CSUN 33
    John Gallagher Defender Penn State 49
    Shaun Foster Defender Hofstra 57
    Eric Schoenle Defender West Virginia 58
    Greg Cochrane Defender/ Midfielder Louisville 10
    Taylor Kemp Defender/Midfielder Maryland 2
    Jimmy Nealis Defender/Midfielder Georgetown 5
    Andrew Ribeiro Defender/Midfielder Creighton 6
    Korey Kindle Defender/Midfielder Bakersfield 70
    Ryan Finley Forward Notre Dame 1
    Devon Sandoval Forward New Mexico 13
    Will Bates Forward Virginia 17
    Don Anding Forward Northeastern 22
    Ashton Bennett Forward Coastal Carolina 23
    Chris Thomas Forward Elon 25
    Yannik Smith Forward Old Dominion 28
    Luke Spencer Forward Xavier 36
    Erik Hurtado Forward SCU 68
    Emery Welshman Forward Oregon State 96
    Luis Soffner Goalkeeper Indiana 3
    David Meves Goalkeeper Akron 4
    Scott Goodwin Goalkeeper North Carolina 12
    James Belshaw Goalkeeper Duke 50
    Larry Jackson Goalkeeper SCU 68
    Daniel Withrow Goalkeeper Marshall 73
    Brad Stuver Goalkeeper Cleveland State 82
    Dillon Powers Midfielder Notre Dame 1
    John Stertzer Midfielder Maryland 2
    Ian Christianson Midfielder Georgetown 5
    Jose Gomez Midfielder Creighton 6
    Fernando Monge Midfielder UCLA 7
    Ryan Hollingshead Midfielder UCLA 7
    Carlos Alvarez Midfielder Connecticut 8
    Paolo DelPiccolo Midfielder Louisville 10
    Donald Smith Midfielder Charlotte 16
    Ben Fisk Midfielder Washington 19
    Leston Paul Midfielder USF 32
    Tommy (T.J.) Nelson Midfielder SMU 34
    Danchrisandre Delgado Midfielder San Diego 39
    Colin Murphy Midfielder Boston College 42
    Kyle Bekker Midfielder Boston College 42
    Machael David Midfielder UC Santa Barbara 66
    Marc Cintron Midfielder Providence 81
    Jonathan Mendoza Midfielder Stetson 191
    Blake Smith Midfielder/Forward New Mexico 13
    Paul Wyatt Midfielder/Forward James Madison 53
    Uwem Etuk Midfielder/Forward West Virginia 58
    Coleton Henning Midfielder/Forward Furman 65

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How does the MLS combine work? Do all top rated picks get invited? I don't see the projected #1 there, Andrew Farrell. From what I have read, and the little knowledge of American university sport I would say Farrell sounds like a great pickup.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mdc 77 View Post
    How does the MLS combine work? Do all top rated picks get invited? I don't see the projected #1 there, Andrew Farrell. From what I have read, and the little knowledge of American university sport I would say Farrell sounds like a great pickup.
    has yet to be invited since he hasn't signed a Generation Adidas contract yet IIRC
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Ives has his Mock Draft up.

#1 - TFC - Farrel (CB)
    #2 - Chivas - Lopez (MF)
    #3 - TFC - Zimmerman (CB)

With the acquisition of Califf (it's being reported he's already agreed to a deal and now "can't wait to come north"), I see it as even more likely TFC trades the 1st overall pick.

Of the two CB's, Farrel is said to be the most MLS ready, while Zimmerman has the higher ceiling but is a longer term prospect.
    I could still see TFC taking Zimmerman at #3 and pairing him with Henry for Reserve games and Canadian Championship / early CCL games.

Whichever one progresses the most in the next season or two takes over for Califf (who is already 32).

Hopefully in exchange for the #1 Overall, TFC can pick up a quality attacking MF starter, which has now become our biggest need.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we use our pick on a Cb after bringing in califf, when Henry probably has more top level experience than any one we can bring out of the draft. We still dont have a clue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Mikey Lopez plays LM or RM or CAM, I want him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We will probably draft a centre back with the first or third pick. The talk right now is between Ferrell or Zimmerman. Depends if we trade one of them. Now we have starters Calif-O'Dea and on the bench with Doneil Henry and Logan Emory.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2012/12/...rsion-1-0.html

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/colle...-v-20_aid28251

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We should go Lopez 1st then either Farrell/Zavaleta/Zimmerman. Lopez is a must since our midfield is shit, then we get either a Striker (Zavaleta) or CB who can pair up With doneil (Zimmerman or Farrell)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Farrell and Lopez are hopefully our picks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Morlesio14 View Post
    Farrell and Lopez are hopefully our picks.

Zimmerman is the better defender between him and Farrell. Zimmerman just played on a weaker side then Farrell, who got a good look in the NCAA tourney. I think you want 2 of Zavaleta, Zimmerman, Farrell. But, you only want one CB (to then have him and Henry as your future). Unless we can guarentee Chivas go defender for their second pick. Zimmerman is the best draftable GA player, but I think (GA keeps salaries off our payroll) you go Zavaleta 1st overall and settle for maybe loosing Zimmerman and getting a solid plan b in farrell. Do not get lopez. His role is way better filled with actual talent. He will not be a good MLSer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mcolvy View Post
    Zimmerman is the better defender between him and Farrell. Zimmerman just played on a weaker side then Farrell, who got a good look in the NCAA tourney. I think you want 2 of Zavaleta, Zimmerman, Farrell. But, you only want one CB (to then have him and Henry as your future). Unless we can guarentee Chivas go defender for their second pick. Zimmerman is the best draftable GA player, but I think (GA keeps salaries off our payroll) you go Zavaleta 1st overall and settle for maybe loosing Zimmerman and getting a solid plan b in farrell. Do not get lopez. His role is way better filled with actual talent. He will not be a good MLSer
    Ok sure, but we need a lot of help on the wings.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're in no way drafting two players.

Think about it. We traded Milos Kocic and Ryan Johnson for a pick. We're trading the number 1 overall to another team for a couple players. There's no way Toronto FC would draft two rookies. We need MLS starting Center Midfielders, so that's what we'll be focusing on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post

Think about it. We traded Milos Kocic and Ryan Johnson for a pick. We're trading the number 1 overall to another team for a couple players. There's no way Toronto FC would draft two rookies. We need MLS starting Center Midfielders, so that's what we'll be focusing on.
    You seem right I guess, Draft picks in the MLS is not as important than they are for other sports. I'm really unsure about who I'd pick if we only had the 3rd pick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post

I am almost certain that TFC will hold both the 1st and 3rd overall picks come the draft. If only this was a deeper one......

I dont see any team giving anything of substance to us for a high draft pick. I think, unless there is some very impressive offer, you keep that pick and grab a few potential studs. I could be wrong though. At the same time if we get offered a Nathan Sturgis, you dont make that trade. Couple years back CJ Sapong went by the TFC draft position that was stupidly traded away by Cochrane for a player who didnt fit into the new coaches style, before a new manager was chosen....

If we miss out on another like that I will lose my %^$#

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on the shortcomings of the current roster, TFC needs to draft the best available midfielders with the #1 and #3 picks in my opinion. Ideally, a DM and a winger that are capable of evolving into quality MLS calibre starters.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Based on the shortcomings of the current roster, TFC needs to draft the best available midfielders with the #1 and #3 picks in my opinion. Ideally, a DM and a winger that are capable of evolving into quality MLS calibre starters.
    TFC still needs #4 defender, assuming Emory is going to be primarily used as back up LB or #5 defender. Andrew Farrell or Walker Zimmerman are good choices if TFC is going to build for the future because Califf may last a year, maybe two max.

Use #1 pick on Mikey Lopez and take either Farrell or Zimmerman pending on who Chivas USA takes at #2. Or, take either Farrell or Zimmerman at #1 and Carlos Alvarez at #3.

Assuming TFC keeps both picks and no other offseason signing by Superdraft day.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    But we cant just pick players to fill our needs?? thats ridiculous. You pick best available, as these guys cant step in and play a full season of starting 11 football. Besides, NCAA is not a breeding ground for wingers this class. Most of the talent is CB, ST, or AM. Pretty focal positions on the pitch.

lopez isnt going 1st overall. I refuse to believe it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mcolvy View Post
    lopez isnt going 1st overall. I refuse to believe it.
    Nobody couldn't believe Omar Salgado went #1 in 2011

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, have to say if this draft class has any quality in it - in anyway whatsoever - I am bias towards holding onto these picks. They'll provide the easiest source of serviceable players at a cheap price.

The last time we had a couple of picks in the draft high up we took massive steps towards improving our team. Frei is still an asset to the squad (GK spot was questionable before that but has been solid ever since) and Cronin would be a huge asset too if Preki wasn't such an idiot who didn't understand the role of a modern central midfielder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would still go with Powers, is being touted as somebody that can come in and contribute right away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd use one pick to select a CB. Farrel or Zimmerman. I'd cut Emery and have Henry and the draft selection as the two backup CB's. Use the other pick to select a dynamic offensive player.

TFC can't select two CB's who are stuck on the bench along with Henry. Signing Braun at over 100k was a mistake. A GA forward up front might help immediately and not count against the cap. The money they're wasting on Braun could go towards a good winger.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soccerpro View Post
    I'd use one pick to select a CB. Farrel or Zimmerman. I'd cut Emery and have Henry and the draft selection as the two backup CB's. Use the other pick to select a dynamic offensive player.

TFC can't select two CB's who are stuck on the bench along with Henry. Signing Braun at over 100k was a mistake. A GA forward up front might help immediately and not count against the cap. The money they're wasting on Braun could go towards a good winger.
    you'd still need help at LB if you cut Emory

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    you'd still need help at LB if you cut Emory
    As much as I dislike him, Jeremy Hall is advertised as a LB/RB/LM/RM by Mariner when he was signed. There's your cover.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soccerpro View Post
    As much as I dislike him, Jeremy Hall is advertised as a LB/RB/LM/RM by Mariner when he was signed. There's your cover.
    Jeremy Hall was horrid whenever he played LB. I'd rather have Emory at min wage than relying on Hall to be sole back up FB

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone know if Patrick Mullins of Maryland will be available for the SuperDraft? He'll be announced as the Hermann Trophy winner, for best collegiate player.

http://machermanntrophy.lockerdome.c...cles/102816194

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DichioTFC View Post
    Does anyone know if Patrick Mullins of Maryland will be available for the SuperDraft? He'll be announced as the Hermann Trophy winner, for best collegiate player.

http://machermanntrophy.lockerdome.c...cles/102816194

That does not mean a thing. To win that trophy you need your team to go far in the tourney and have talent around you.
    Im thinking we take a long look at EMA BOATENG. Kids a stud. In 10 years from now he might be the best product of the draft. He willl be available down the draft, so maybe you draft down? Get soemthing out of one of our picks?

But no Mullins. Please.