Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Mariner doesn't screw this up by trading the pick in some ill-advised attempt to "win now," picking a striker with size would be the best idea for hoofball, and Eriq Zavaleta would be your man. It's not worth drafting an inexperienced defender when your defense is in such a mess as TFC's is.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post

Some of the top picks(FW,MF,DF) in the 1st round draft, range between 145-170lbs which has to be a deterrant for any serious MLS club that lacks size in all areas like TFC(specially in midfield). You could probably get away with a smaller forward, but I dont think you could get away with a waffer for a defender.
    Sorry but this is so backwards. I really hope they don't draft somone based on size. You don't need to be some big lumbering central midfielder to succeed in MLS. Look at Osvaldo Alonso, 5'11 165 lbs or Kyle Beckerman, 5'10 165 lbs. Pick the best player regardless of their size.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if we are picking best player then we are picking andre blake...once a generation goalkeeper lol

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    Sorry but this is so backwards. I really hope they don't draft somone based on size. You don't need to be some big lumbering central midfielder to succeed in MLS. Look at Osvaldo Alonso, 5'11 165 lbs or Kyle Beckerman, 5'10 165 lbs. Pick the best player regardless of their size.
    Sorry, with hoofball, hight matters a lot. Alonso and Beckerman don't do hoofball. If we were playing a different style, I'd totally agree with you.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Sorry, with hoofball, hight matters a lot. Alonso and Beckerman don't do hoofball. If we were playing a different style, I'd totally agree with you.
    Smaller, skilled players will come in handy when Mariner is fired mid way through the season.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was my 2013 MLS DRAFT Prospect List prior to the 2012 NCAA soccer season - http://enbsports.blogspot.ca/2012/10...ct-list_2.html

I will be updating the data with 2012 stats as well giving my prospect list and mock draft after the current NCAA season is complete although if available Gyasi Zardes, CSU Bakersfield - http://enbsports.blogspot.ca/2012/10...si-zardes.html is still by far the best prospect in the draft. He might go to the Galaxy as a homegrown player or may also go to Europe. After that its a crap shoot as college play hasn't been great this season with very few players standing out other than Zardes.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today was tournament selection day for NCAA Division 1 (Go Irish!) so as I was updating stats for players who didn't make it here is my current top 20 prospects plus some sleepers

1. Gyasi Zardes, CSU Bakersfield FW - GA maybe Homegrown
    2. Eriq Zavaleta, Indiana, FW/MF - GA
    3. Carlos Alverez, UCONN, MF
    4. Jared Watts, Wake Forest, MF - GA
    5. Mark Sherrod, Memphis, FW - GA
    6. Sebastien Ibeagha, Duke, MF - GA
    7. Mikey Lopez, UNC, MF - GA
    8. Chris Thomas, Elon, FW
    9. Robbie Lovejoy, UNC, FW - GA
    10. Scott Caldwell, Akron, MF - maybe Homegrown
    11. Ryan Finlay, Notre Dame, FW
    12. Kyle Venter, New Mexico, DF
    13. London Woodberry, DF - Maybe Homegrown
    14. Caleb Konstanski, Indiana, DF
    15. Ashton Bennett, Coastal Carolina, FW
    16. Matt Wiet, UCLA, DF
    17. Jose Gomez, Creighton, MF
    18. Dillon Powers, Notre Dame, MF
    19. David Meves, Akron, GK
    20. Ryan Hollingshead, UCLA, FW

Players who I like but not highly touted
    Adam Jahn, Stanford, FW
    Nicky McKain, Furman, DF
    Jordan Godsay, Northern Illinois, GK
    Leonardo Fernandes, Stony Brook, MF
    Taylor Morgan, George Mason, FW

GA are players who are not Seniors and the MLS will have to give a GA contract to, the good thing is these players currently don't count against salary cap.
    Homegrown is a new MLS thing with players instead being put in the draft they go to the MLS club that they trained with as a youth before college.

I will have my top 100 list with bio information and updated stats once the NCAA tournament is complete.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm getting better and better at starting rumors as the days pass.
    So, just hear me out for a second, doing some research on these potential draft pick players I was researching Gyasi Zardes. Here's what I found out that was interesting.​

• He's a LAG product, perhaps could be signed by them as a homegrown, yes?
    • Apparently his grandfather came from Brazil to the United States, domestic player.
    • Again, Apparently Thomas Rongen who was running the USMNT U-20's was interested in calling him up back in 2011. Connection? maybe.
    • Listed as 6'2 + 175lb
    • How he scores? Looks like he's got a bit of skill at bringing the ball down out of the air, also has some good footwork/ball control (source: http://vimeo.com/46848341​) but realistically, I don't see how you could expect him to translate that into everyday Major League Soccer play.

Year GP G A Points Shots
    2010 19 5 7 17 64
    2011 20 18 2 38 116
    Totals 39 23 9 55 180

• Not sure if reliable source, but apparently his 2012 stats are something like 14 Games, 11 Goals, 8 Assists.

Cheers.
    P.S. Just to compare some of our 'target man' forwards to this young man.
    • Danny Dichio, 6'3 + 200lbs
    • Danny Koevermans, 6'3 + 173lbs
    • Eric Hassli, 6'4 + 190lbs
    Last edited by West220Side; 11-23-2012 at 07:19 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we should go for Dillion Powers.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2012/11/...rsion-1-0.html

SBI write up of some of the players available for the draft
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SBI: (from one of the comments on the page)

Quote Originally Posted by from the comments section of SBI
    Most of Akron’s top prospects are eligible for Homegrown contracts.

Caldwell – New England
    Trapp – Columbus
    Serna – Colorado
    Yedlin – Seattle
    Barson – Columbus
    Gallego – New York
    Souders – Columbus

Quote Originally Posted by from the comments section of SBI
    Looks like none of the potential home grown’s on the board – Zardes, Zavaleta, Caldwell, Woodberry, Trapp, Ibeagha…

The only thing for me that really jumps out is the exclusion of Mamadou Diouf (Uconn)..

Home Grown Players:

Pro: I like this, because it benefits the kids who will now be able to get a pre-college training at TFCA and improve the college level tournaments as well.

Con?: This really thins out the MLS Draft. Maybe two more years and we'll be drafting the "Supplemental Draft" players now in the future MLS Draft.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know this might not sit pretty with a lot of us TFC fans, but I just dont think the solution will be here in the draft, however I would love to see us sign a partnership with a USL and NASL team so we can develop our players, I think players like Maund, Amarikwa, Weideman, and many others would have the opportunity to develop their skill and not be rushed up to the first team, unfortunately for example likes of Silva, and many others, I would love to see a partnership signed so we can develop both our team and national squads professionally, and make a difference in the long term

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2012/11/...das-class.html

NCAA Generation Adidas class likely be smaller.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

J.J. Johnson is my pick..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's Soccer By Ives MLS Draft Board (Version 2.0):

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2012/11/...rsion-2-0.html

In addition, Paul Mariner told GOL TV's Lee Godfrey that he will at Saturday's game between Louisville and Maryland and also the final four on December 7.

http://www.ncaa.com/scoreboards/socc.../d1/2012/12/01

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably going to select a midfielder now that we have got Braun. Hopefully he'll have a fresh start and shrug off his play in montreal and salt lake. I think Eriq Zavaleta can play both MF and ST so that's pretty good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracos View Post
    I know this might not sit pretty with a lot of us TFC fans, but I just dont think the solution will be here in the draft, however I would love to see us sign a partnership with a USL and NASL team so we can develop our players, I think players like Maund, Amarikwa, Weideman, and many others would have the opportunity to develop their skill and not be rushed up to the first team, unfortunately for example likes of Silva, and many others, I would love to see a partnership signed so we can develop both our team and national squads professionally, and make a difference in the long term
    That is a awesome Idea Gracos I was thinking that also I can see maYBe affiliating with with a team like Charleston Orlando or somebody I think it will be very Beneficial for both Parties

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My pick is Zardes and Hopefully Rongen can be a huge Influence in him coming here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If TFC don't select a defender in this draft Im going to lose my %$%#. There are a few solid defenders in the draft. There are no flashy forward players. All we will get is a Silva 2.0. Lets get a solid defender. This doesn't mean another Mauld.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuelphStorm2007 View Post
    My pick is Zardes and Hopefully Rongen can be a huge Influence in him coming here.
    The league has already declared him a Homegrown player for LA, so unless they want to trade him to us (which they'd be insane to do) we're not going to get him and he wont' be draft eligible. He's in Germany right now trialling at Freiburg and will probably get a deal in Europe.

We should take Zavaleta; perfect type of player for Danny K to tutor. The defender from New Mexico Kyle Venter might be a hedges type slot-right-in player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paul Mariner at NCAA final four between Maryland vs. Georgetown (5 P.M.) and Creighton vs. Indiana (7:30 P.M.)

http://www.thefirstrow.eu/watch/1575...semifinal.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moralis View Post
    Paul Mariner at NCAA final four between Maryland vs. Georgetown (5 P.M.) and Creighton vs. Indiana (7:30 P.M.)

http://www.thefirstrow.eu/watch/1575...semifinal.html
    Wow, the atmosphere is better than I thought it'd be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about Dillon Powers. Reliable Midfielder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the draft order in 2nd round? TFC might have a shot drafting Kyle Bekker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    What's the draft order in 2nd round? TFC might have a shot drafting Kyle Bekker.
    Or maybe not (so late)?
    Kyle Bekker trialing at Crystal Palace

http://www.cansoc.org/showthread.php...Crystal-Palace

Trained at TFC under Winter, and last season with Seattle and Montreal during college offseason.
    Will be a very good signing for any MLS squad if he decides to stay here and not sign overseas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Bekker enters the draft, we should try to get a second first rounder to pick him up with. If he doesn't, could we put a discovery claim on him at some point in the future? or would he automatically go to allocation if he wanted to sign here later on?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    If Bekker enters the draft, we should try to get a second first rounder to pick him up with. If he doesn't, could we put a discovery claim on him at some point in the future? or would he automatically go to allocation if he wanted to sign here later on?
    or hope that Bekker falls to supplemental draft

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone else think that Ryan Finley looks like Stiffler from American Pie?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soooo... now that we got the 1st and 3rd picks, who would you guys choose? I'm going with Farrell at 1 and Powers/Gomez/Zavaleta at 3. Looking good