RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember to vote for your choice of RPB Man of the Year!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just don't understand why Heath would want to join TFC as an assistant. He is a decent candidate for a head coach job in MLS.

There must be more to this story. Like Mariner pulling a Mo and making himself GM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post
    I just don't understand why Heath would want to join TFC as an assistant. He is a decent candidate for a head coach job in MLS.

There must be more to this story. Like Mariner pulling a Mo and making himself GM.
    Or MLSE hiring him as the backup plan for Mariner. So we can have the next generation of assistent stabbing the manager in the back to take their job.

Or maybe Mariner is getting sacked at the end of the season and this is his replacement

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Or MLSE hiring him as the backup plan for Mariner. So we can have the next generation of assistent stabbing the manager in the back to take their job.

Or maybe Mariner is getting sacked at the end of the season and this is his replacement
    I understand it from TFC FO's point of view. I just think Heath would be looking to go straight into a head coach role.

That being said, I'm not sure which other MLS teams are even looking for new coaches.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post

I think you're both onto something...
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The obvious answer is Paul Mariner is going to be named President. He'll represent TFC in corporate boardrooms in his shorts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a possibility. But Mariner, like Mo, doesn't have the authority to "make himself GM," they get that job when they prove their loyalty - as Ensco says, MLSE is all about loyalty (and a little of knowing your place and not being too ambitious and making your boss look bad).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couple of things. Adrian Heath's main coaching experience is two levels below MLS. That's still a pretty big jump to make, so hiring him as an assistant may not be that out of line. His closest experience to what he'll see in MLS was in the English Championship, and these were all assistant positons or caretaker roles that weren't particularly successful. There's enough doubt about him to not give him the keys right away.

Also, he worked under Peter Reid in England, who Mariner worked with for half a year as assistant at Plymouth until he left to come to TFC. It's likely they know each other quite well going back a few years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    The obvious answer is Paul Mariner is going to be named President. He'll represent TFC in corporate boardrooms in his shorts.
    Gives new meaning to the term "board shorts".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couple of things. Adrian Heath's main coaching experience is two levels below MLS. That's still a pretty big jump to make, so hiring him as an assistant may not be that out of line. His closest experience to what he'll see in MLS was in the English Championship, and these were all assistant positons or caretaker roles that weren't particularly successful. There's enough doubt about him to not give him the keys right away.

Also, he worked under Peter Reid in England, who Mariner worked with for half a year as assistant at Plymouth until he left to come to TFC. It's likely they know each other quite well going back a few years.
    Austin was in the NASL for a couple of seasons (2009,2010) with Heath as head coach.

I believe they dropped down to USL with the move to Orlando.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Austin was in the NASL for a couple of seasons (2009,2010) with Heath as head coach.

I believe they dropped down to USL with the move to Orlando.
    Yeah that's true. There are still lots of doubts about him. Given the season we had, might it be time for TFC to use some of that financial might they have to pry away a proven coach from another MLS team instead of taking a flyer on a lower level coach?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CoachGT View Post
    Remember to vote for your choice of RPB Man of the Year!
    Is it only members who can vote?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

lol I just pictured him running in yelling and cussing at people in his shorts and shades.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Is it only members who can vote?

Yes, full members can vote in the members section ofthe board.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like Adrian Heath will not be Paul Mariner's assistant: Signed a three year deal to stay with Orlando City

Head Coach Adrian Heath signs 3-yr extension with @OrlandoCitySC turning down asst. coach offer and more money with #MLS Toronto FC. @WFTV

https://twitter.com/search/realtime?...eath+&src=typd

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lulz courtesy of George John of FCD
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/blog/_/...d/1276?cc=5901

Seems Landycakes is bored of soccer at age 30
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More interesting news on Adrian Heath not joining TFC:

According to the Lions head coach, Toronto offered an assistant coaching position with the understanding that he would eventually become the head coach

http://www.wftv.com/news/sports/socc...h-orlan/nSmB4/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Soccer by Ives:

Ives Galarcep ‏@SoccerByIves I'm told Adrian Heath has turned down a big-money offer from TFC to be their lead assistant coach & will sign a new deal with Orlando City.

Ives Galarcep ‏@SoccerByIves TFC offered Heath serious money, more than several current MLS head coaches make, and he still said no. Not a good look for TFC. At all.

https://twitter.com/SoccerByIves

NOT GOOD NEWS

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smart man apparently, that Adrian Heath.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Confirmation from Orlando City on signing Adrian Heath to a three year contract extension:

http://www.orlandocitysoccer.com/news/?article_id=1134

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moralis View Post
    Confirmation from Orlando City on signing Adrian Heath to a three year contract extension:

http://www.orlandocitysoccer.com/news/?article_id=1134
    Here's the Ives story. What a shitshow!

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2012/10/...city-deal.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^^^

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

"I’m bitterly disappointed,” Mariner told SBI via telephone. “We thought he would be a good fit in Toronto.”
    Mariner also downplayed Heath’s public comments that there was an understanding that Heath would eventually become the head coach. Mariner stated that there were no immediate plans for him to step aside as head coach in the immediate future, but that he “won’t be around forever” as head coach.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2012/10/...city-deal.html

Sounds like someone has designs on a GM type chair

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Smart man apparently, that Adrian Heath.
    You said it.

Even with all their money, no-one good will want to coach for TFC... at least with Anselmi running the soccer operations.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto