Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Terry Dunfield named TFC 2012 MVP

As per the official TFC twitter, Terry Dunfield has been named Toronto FC's 2012 MVP.

All I have to say is LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MVP for effort.

If you look at it any other way then its shows how bad our team is, or how no players stepped up this year. I would love the guy to stick around and be a mentor or solid role model, otherwise he is a late game sub type player.
    Last edited by Richard; 10-21-2012 at 02:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...have the other teams picked their MVP's yet? It would be interesting to do a comparison...oh and congrats Terry

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Motto suggestion for TFC: We may not be good, but we're slow.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! How was the voting done for this, or was it just Mariner?

Dom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eastend View Post
    Wow! How was the voting done for this, or was it just Mariner?

Dom
    Haha Mariner doing the voting was my first thought as well.

Couldn't find any information on this besides being posted on Twitter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL Congrats

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sad to say, but he WAS our best player. Koevermans didn't play enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Sad to say, but he WAS our best player. Koevermans didn't play enough.
    I don't know about that. Realistically there are very few candidates but of guys who played the whole season: Kocic, Morgan, and Johnson could be alternatives .

Comparatively to other guys playing the same roles for other teams: Morgan looks the best IMO.

That being said, it was such an awful season every player who played the majority of the games could have been a MVP... Terry seems to meet that standard somehow

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even naming an MVP after such an awful, lost season, seems kind of self-parodying.

"See that car wreck over there? Well, you were the most valuable part of it! Congratulations!"

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i remember that last fateful year in the EPL with Derby County, they named the fans the MVP
    but hell we don't even deserve it this year

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bahahahaha.

Clearly all the votes went to the black cat, but Mariner overruled them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Motto suggestion for TFC: We may not be good, but we're slow.
    Coffee out my nose.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terry Dunfield, 2403 minutes played this season, 3 goals, 0 assists. (I would expect your average midfielder to have a few assists in a season, even if he plays more on the defensive end. Plus Terry is supposedly "box to box" at least under Mariner.)

Ryan Johnson, 2700 minutes played this season, 7 goals, 4 assists.

This from the TFC stats page; not sure if this only includes the MLS league games. With CCL/VC etc. RJ's stats may look even better.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Terry Dunfield, 2403 minutes played this season, 3 goals, 0 assists. (I would expect your average midfielder to have a few assists in a season, even if he plays more on the defensive end. Plus Terry is supposedly "box to box" at least under Mariner.)

Ryan Johnson, 2700 minutes played this season, 7 goals, 4 assists.

This from the TFC stats page; not sure if this only includes the MLS league games. With CCL/VC etc. RJ's stats may look even better.
    Dunfield has 3 goals in CCL. Ryan Johnson has 1 goal. IIRC neither players scored in Voyagerus cup
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know why he gets shat on by you guys.

He's been as good as De Guzman for this team if not better. I'll admit i didn't watch as much this year as i have in the past (i have little interest in exhibition games), but what i did see was alright. Nothing outstanding, but a guy who did good in his role. Definitely not a problem. You know what to tell the truth he's about as good as Carl Robinson was, and most people really liked Carl Robinson.

Anyways, congrats Terry. Keep doing what you do and don't listen to the haters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

theres a reason why our midfield is constantly being over powered, and if u don't think guys like Dunfield or Maund plays a role in that, then your kidding yourself. I would have gone with either kocic or Morgan.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Godfield a MVP ? LOL
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have picked silva.. He's one of the few I would keep from this shit show.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most valuable player on "the worst team in the world".
    You da man!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Dunfield is one of the reasons we are the worst team in the league. A good MLS team will have a way better player in his role.

That being said, who else deserved MVP on this team? Maybe Morgan? Kocic was a good candidate until Mariner benched him. Koevermans didn't play enough.

Besides I'm not too bothered by this. This is the same club that named Cann MVP when De Rosario deserved it by a mile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post
    I think Dunfield is one of the reasons we are the worst team in the league. A good MLS team will have a way better player in his role.

That being said, who else deserved MVP on this team? Maybe Morgan? Kocic was a good candidate until Mariner benched him. Koevermans didn't play enough.

Besides I'm not too bothered by this. This is the same club that named Cann MVP when De Rosario deserved it by a mile.

The good MLS clubs have way better players in EVERY role. Congrats to Dunny for the MVP. I personally would have went with Milos, but you can't deny the guys effort and enthusiasm. In a season like this one that has to count for something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post

+1

Exactly, what I was about to point out. As well as Joao Plata getting an MVP nod last season. He was a guy off the bench and I would have thought they would let him go after the loan deal was expired. It really just makes no sense to name Terry Dunfield over Ryan Johnson or Ashton Morgan.

I think maybe they're planning on offering him a coaching job in the academy, so this is the way they choose to court him. After all he is a Manchester City alumni.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its funny, when Dan Gargan was here, he was the centimental favorite of all of the supporters. I don't know what Terry did to get the abuse that some hand out.

Anyhow it was a crap year and its tough to make any kind of selection like this. Congrats to him for the award.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He will become team Captain next year and then become Mariner's NANNY in Bermuda when PM is eventually FIRED....

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Congrats to Terry on his award! He worked hard out there and really turned his game around mid-season.

Hate on him all you want people, he was one of the few players who stepped up and tried to bring this team together on the pitch.
    When other players were fighting with each other on the pitch or just not trying at all, he was actually working to keep things together.

I'm not saying he's a fucking superstar and we should pay him DP money, but in the context of how this team played this year and with all the injuries TFC has had, he was one of the standout guys. Love him or hate him, he did his job and didn't gripe about it on the pitch.

I'm glad Silva didn't get MVP. He's a kid. That kind of shit can make a players head swell too big to the point where their game starts to suffer (See "Plata 2012")
    Well deserved Rookie of the year for him and hope next year he can step up and prove to us he is an MVP on this team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maninb View Post
    He will become team Captain next year and then become Mariner's NANNY in Bermuda when PM is eventually FIRED....
    ^ LOL^

That reminds me of "Eastbound and Down".

Paul Mariner's Eastbound and Down:

1. First he was a professional athlete.

2. Second, he decides to take up coaching and becomes the head coach of a second tier team.

3. He gets canned from the second tier team and makes alot of money from being bought out of his contract. He starts a KIA dealership and hires a passive monkey to do his dirty work for $6 dollars an hour.

4. Then he makes so much money on the island that he can do anything with immunity and repays his most loyal servants with key posts at the dealership.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Congrats to Terry on his award! He worked hard out there and really turned his game around mid-season.

Hate on him all you want people, he was one of the few players who stepped up and tried to bring this team together on the pitch.
    When other players were fighting with each other on the pitch or just not trying at all, he was actually working to keep things together.

I'm not saying he's a fucking superstar and we should pay him DP money, but in the context of how this team played this year and with all the injuries TFC has had, he was one of the standout guys. Love him or hate him, he did his job and didn't gripe about it on the pitch.

I'm glad Silva didn't get MVP. He's a kid. That kind of shit can make a players head swell too big to the point where their game starts to suffer (See "Plata 2012")
    Well deserved Rookie of the year for him and hope next year he can step up and prove to us he is an MVP on this team.
    Why when someone disagrees with you is it automating "hating" on someone?

I make my decisions based on objective measurements, like statistical performance. ANd he was, statistically, one of the worst starting midfielders in the league.

That's not a personal judgment; I don't "Hate" Terry Dunfield; in fact, he seems very nice. I just think he's a rotten midfielder, and a third-stringer at best in this league. I don't think he turned anything around this season other than having a coach who has faith in him. Other than that he displays the same inconsistency and poor judgment he did at other clubs.

He didn't stand out at all to me; if anything, he was consistently poor, like most of the team.

The idea that he was better, over the course of the season than Luis Silva, who got half the time but bagged five goals and five assistants (Dunfield 3 and 0) or Ryan Johnson, or Ashtone Morgan is ridiculous.

And our MVP, by a country fucking mile, was Danny Koervermans. If a gets points in most games a guy plays in, then doesn't get any points as soon as he gets injured, it's a fair marker that he made a difference.

If people want to argue it shouldn't be to a guy who played half a season, it would go to Milos Kocic, who kept us in numerous matches.

Terry Dunfield gets an 'A' for effort, a 'D' for football.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you cant fault his effort though

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Why when someone disagrees with you is it automating "hating" on someone?

I make my decisions based on objective measurements, like statistical performance. ANd he was, statistically, one of the worst starting midfielders in the league.

That's not a personal judgment; I don't "Hate" Terry Dunfield; in fact, he seems very nice. I just think he's a rotten midfielder, and a third-stringer at best in this league. I don't think he turned anything around this season other than having a coach who has faith in him. Other than that he displays the same inconsistency and poor judgment he did at other clubs.

He didn't stand out at all to me; if anything, he was consistently poor, like most of the team.

The idea that he was better, over the course of the season than Luis Silva, who got half the time but bagged five goals and five assistants (Dunfield 3 and 0) or Ryan Johnson, or Ashtone Morgan is ridiculous.

And our MVP, by a country fucking mile, was Danny Koervermans. If a gets points in most games a guy plays in, then doesn't get any points as soon as he gets injured, it's a fair marker that he made a difference.

If people want to argue it shouldn't be to a guy who played half a season, it would go to Milos Kocic, who kept us in numerous matches.

Terry Dunfield gets an 'A' for effort, a 'D' for football.
    And why do you take everything people say on this messageboard so personally. Chill the fuck out.Why do you think this post was directed at you?
    And who the fuck disagreed with me directly except for you? No one else responded to my post disagreeing with what I said.

Anyways, since I'm already responding to whinny part of your post, I might as well respond to the football portion of it as well.

Past MVP winners on this team are not always based on stats. This isn't necessarily a football award that you would see other teams giving out. It's a fucking good gesture/feel good award that rewards the hard workers on the team. Cann won it over Dero; Robbo won it twice over Dichio, Guevara, Edu. Hell Frings didn't really do anything mind blowing last season, but he still got the MVP award over Koevs. If you have been following this team at all this season you would've seen Dunfield winning this award months ago when Mariner took over. He's become the poster boy for TFC's 2012 season. Of course he isn't close to being the best player on the team, but again, this award isn't about that is it?