View Poll Results: Going to Montreal in 2013?

Voters
256. You may not vote on this poll
  • YEEEAAHHH !!!

128 50.00%
  • probably yes, pending a few things

85 33.20%
  • most likely not, but we'll see

21 8.20%
  • nope. no way.

22 8.59%
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good times in Montreal this past April. Who can say no to that?
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will be in Montreal for sure. Having made the trip to all three of the Reds games in Montreal this past season, it one I am looking forward to once again. I had a great time each trip into town despite the loss in April. With likely at least 10,000 tickets in the hands of TFC fans I am sure you will see a big crowd.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Did I mention I hate the carpet for 'pitch' at the Big O? ugh

also, massive cluster fuck if this isn't organized properly, IE separating supporters and regular fans (casuals for lack of better term). Phil and execs, please bring this up? A GA by designated sections would be nice...
    if MLSE has the tickets then surely this isn't a problem...we'd get complete sections
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    if MLSE has the tickets then surely this isn't a problem...we'd get complete sections
    I never underestimate MLSE's ability to be disorganized and screw up
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be surprised if 25% of these tickets get used.

The gesture was nice, and the price drop was nice too. But that doesn't change the apathy surrounding the team. And the management hasn't changed either.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with others on here that the sections should be GA so we can get the right people together in the right area so those just wanting to watch the game can do that too without any issues. Good communication from TFC will be key to making this a success. I am also interested in the "limited transportation" part from TFC. I am assuming buses from BMO to the Big O will be what it is. I would like to take advantage of that possibly so my car doesn't break down again like last time hitting all those potholes in Quebec. It's like driving across an old minefield.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post

The gesture was nice, and the price drop was nice too. But that doesn't change the apathy surrounding the team. And the management hasn't changed either.
    Why would anyone who has these tickets to the game in Montreal not use them outside of an important personal commitment. There is just simply no reason to say no.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't "First Kick" each year on a Thursday with the rest of the games that weekend? I could see Montreal really pushing to get that spot to limit the number of Toronto supporters at the game. Either way I was there last year without the free tickets, I'll be there this year (and be bringing a group bigger then my seasons

Also CBlake there are plenty of reasons not to use these tickets - personal commitments, financial constraints ($20 ticket is a very small part of a trip to Montreal), hating the French.
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Due to other commitments for most of this past season, I had to miss out on the trip to the Big Owe. Will definitely try to make this one though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBlake View Post
    Why would anyone who has these tickets to the game in Montreal not use them outside of an important personal commitment. There is just simply no reason to say no.
    The ticket is the least expensive part of an away trip.

The away support has been pretty much killed off by all the apathy. A free ticket won't change that. And I doubt enough changes happen to make people want to be in Montreal more than ever before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    I've never had a bad trip to Montreal, and if I decide to renew I probably will take the club up on the free ticket offer. The only problem to getting myself and a large crowd out is what day the match falls on. It will be our season opener (possibly Montreal's as well) so I think chances are good that it will be on a weekend, but who knows for sure? I'd be pretty pissed off if it's scheduled for a Wednesday.
    they wouldn't collasally fuck that up...im sure they are working with mls to make this happen on a weekend

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    Season opener and we don't have to cross the border??? where's the HELL YEEEAAAA! option.
    I'm in the HELL YEEEAAA option, I can't wait, although, I'd make sure my passport is updated, you know it's the foreign country of Quebec right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cmonyoureds View Post
    I'm in the HELL YEEEAAA option, I can't wait, although, I'd make sure my passport is updated, you know it's the foreign country of Quebec right?
    Make sure you don't need to leave immediately after the game this time. See all the 'culture' Montreal has to offer.
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben - D.O.W. View Post
    Isn't "First Kick" each year on a Thursday with the rest of the games that weekend? I could see Montreal really pushing to get that spot to limit the number of Toronto supporters at the game. Either way I was there last year without the free tickets, I'll be there this year (and be bringing a group bigger then my seasons

Also CBlake there are plenty of reasons not to use these tickets - personal commitments, financial constraints ($20 ticket is a very small part of a trip to Montreal), hating the French.
    Why would Montreal want to limit Toronto supporters from traveling to Mtl? Heck, I'd probably guess it's Joey Saputo who came out with this idea in the first place
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The ticket is the least expensive part of an away trip.The away support has been pretty much killed off by all the apathy. A free ticket won't change that. And I doubt enough changes happen to make people want to be in Montreal more than ever before.
    Then again, away trips are never just about the game anyway - heck, there's enough to see and do in Montreal to have a good weekend of it. And if it's the first game of the year, well, there's always that small smidgen of hope at the beginning of the season (even though we know that will likely soon enough be snuffed out). With those two factors coming into play, I can see 1000+ TFC supporters making the journey.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll definitely be there...the date doesn't matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would Montreal want to limit Toronto supporters from traveling to Mtl? Heck, I'd probably guess it's Joey Saputo who came out with this idea in the first place
    My take on the whole thing is Saputo lowered prices as (partially) a big f-you to Toronto. Anselmi or whoever responded with "fine, we'll send 5000 fans to take over your stadium". I'm sure Saputo is fine with the tickets sold, but I don't think he particularly wants a huge crowd cheering for Toronto there.

Edit: Saputo seems to me like a guy who actually cares how his team does, you don't help your teams chances by bringing in thousands of away supporters.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben - D.O.W. View Post
    My take on the whole thing is Saputo lowered prices as (partially) a big f-you to Toronto. Anselmi or whoever responded with "fine, we'll send 5000 fans to take over your stadium". I'm sure Saputo is fine with the tickets sold, but I don't think he particularly wants a huge crowd cheering for Toronto there.

Edit: Saputo seems to me like a guy who actually cares how his team does, you don't help your teams chances by bringing in thousands of away supporters.
    Saputo understands soccer, and he's a savvy businessman.

What he wants is a spectacle, especially in short attention span and hype driven city like Montreal. He wants Big O to be packed just like LA game, but he wants it done in more consistent style, without relying on star players like Becks who won't be around much longer. One of ways to build hype? A good rivalry versus the old enemy. And soccer fans understand derbies...

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What he wants is a spectacle, especially in short attention span and hype driven city like Montreal. He wants Big O to be packed just like LA game, but he wants it done in more consistent style, without relying on star players like Becks who won't be around much longer. One of ways to build hype? A good rivalry versus the old enemy. And soccer fans understand derbies...
    Joey was at the game on the weekend, and with what you just wrote I got a sinking feeling.

A feeling that ML$E still doesn't get it.

That it wasn't their idea for the free game to Montreal but Joey's.

That by this reasoning, Joey loves us more than our own overlord's do.

That Joey sees the benefit of this and probably gave the tickets to ML$E for free.

That me want to cry.

That ML$E will not try to help this away trip any further by doing some of the great ideas that Parkdale has thrown out there.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

25% of 10,000 is fine....
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wait, this is going to be like when TFC gaves us the free tickets to make up for the CCL rainout vs. Dallas. They will be put into our account manager and we will have to print/forward them by a certain date or will we lose them, which might very well mean MLSE could be off the hook for paying for them. Say they have guaranteed Joey $5 for each ticket utilized, they would have only be charged for what we actually use,. Just a thought. But on the other hand I would not be surprised if as speculated above Joey just went ahead and offered the tickets up for free to give TFC fans a taste of what many people view as a real owner who cares, which I think he is.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Word.

Atmosphere and traveling support was what gave TFC "buzz" and successful from the beginning, and they are obviously looking to replicate that now. Too bad they missed the no-brainer this time around; making supporters sections GA and giving support a chance to fix itself at the same time. Better luck next time FO.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    I agree with others on here that the sections should be GA so we can get the right people together in the right area so those just wanting to watch the game can do that too without any issues. Good communication from TFC will be key to making this a success. I am also interested in the "limited transportation" part from TFC. I am assuming buses from BMO to the Big O will be what it is. I would like to take advantage of that possibly so my car doesn't break down again like last time hitting all those potholes in Quebec. It's like driving across an old minefield.
    If it works on the road, why not at BMOrgue?
    Last edited by RedRum; 10-23-2012 at 02:00 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    25% of 10,000 is fine....

Holy shit yeah.

I'm going to make a bold prediction: If it's not true GA, that is, if there is more than a section designated on the ticket- THERE WILL BE COMPLAINTS.

Call me Kreskin.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was at the Easter game this season, and I'll be there for the opening next season, for sure.

I'd be surprised if the TFC FO had the tickets to allocate. I expect Montreal FO to be doing the admin on the tickets, like last season. We will probably get a voucher number or something so we individually call the Montreal FO to get our tickets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    Joey was at the game on the weekend, and with what you just wrote I got a sinking feeling.

A feeling that ML$E still doesn't get it.

That it wasn't their idea for the free game to Montreal but Joey's.

That by this reasoning, Joey loves us more than our own overlord's do.

That Joey sees the benefit of this and probably gave the tickets to ML$E for free.

That me want to cry.

That ML$E will not try to help this away trip any further by doing some of the great ideas that Parkdale has thrown out there.
    I agree with all of the above.

I also hope Joey will see the wisdom of having more than just two beer servers staffing the smallest concession stand known to man. Now that was a travesty!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cmonyoureds View Post
    I agree with all of the above.

I also hope Joey will see the wisdom of having more than just two beer servers staffing the smallest concession stand known to man. Now that was a travesty!
    Coors Light for $7 is always a travesty.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least they sell beer in MTL until the game is over with no limits on the amount your can purchase compared to this 65th minute shit we are faced with here at BMO

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBlake View Post
    At least they sell beer in MTL until the game is over with no limits on the amount your can purchase compared to this 65th minute shit we are faced with here at BMO
    Yes, but couldn't Montreal use larger glasses than shot glasses?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly this. Saputo wants to build a rivalry with Toronto more than anyone. Let a few thousand TFC fans in a stadium that may otherwise so unused and begin to hype this match as a 'must see.'