Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Official 2012 MLS Playoffs thread

For most teams, only one game left, but it's that time again...

From Eastern Conference, Kansas City, New York, Chicago, DC United, Houston have all clinched a spot and will be jockeying for position on the final week.

In the West, San Jose, Real Salt Lake, Seattle Sounders and LA Galaxy have clinched a spot. Vancouver has 5th spot right now, and leads 6th place Dallas by 4 points with two games left for both teams. Vancouver plays Portland Sunday at 7pm, while Dallas plays Seattle at 9pm.

San Jose is also playing LA at 7pm. What a monster year Wondolowski's had. 25 goals and 3 away from breaking MLS record of 27 goals in one season. Rumours say he wants a raise to DP level...

Last edited by Yohan; 10-20-2012 at 09:50 PM.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the west did not dominate this season,

if vancouver were in the east they would be out of the playoffs, they are currently tied with montreal on points and montreal is out of the playoffs.

the crew could miss the playoffs with (potentially) over 50 points -- thats crazy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by London View Post

if vancouver were in the east they would be out of the playoffs, they are currently tied with montreal on points and montreal is out of the playoffs.

the crew could miss the playoffs with (potentially) over 50 points -- thats crazy
    with half of those points (22 so far, 25 total if they win next Sunday) coming against Montreal, New England, Philadelphia, and Toronto (out of a possible 36 come next weekend)

Edit:
    in comparison, NYRB has 20 (possibly 23 after next weekend) against the bottom 4 (in the East) (out of a possible 33 come next weekend)
    Chicago Fire finished with 22 points against the bottom 4 (out of a possible 33)
    SKC has 20 (possibly 23 after Wednesday) (out of a possible 33 come Wednesday)
    DC United has profited the most with 29 points (out of a possible 36)
    Houston has 19 (out of a possible 33)
    Last edited by prizby; 10-21-2012 at 09:09 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by London View Post

it's funny because people were saying the West was way stronger than the East at the beginning of the season. gotta love MLS and its unpredictability

also, never rule out Bruce Arena, no matter how shitty of a start his team might have
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't know the Semifinals ("Conference Finals") had been changed to two legs. Changes the dynamics of that stage.
    That's all I'll say about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is there a long break from Nov. 18th to December 1st for the Finals. Is there an international break?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think so. Nov friendlies

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    it's funny because people were saying the West was way stronger than the East at the beginning of the season. gotta love MLS and its unpredictability

also, never rule out Bruce Arena, no matter how shitty of a start his team might have
    with 1 game remaining between eastern conference and western conference teams, the east have taken 128 points to the west's 116

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not convinced that Robson and Miller are worthy of DP spots, but Vancouver has done a good job of filling out the roster with solid players... Koffie, Camilo, DeMerit, Rochat, Bonjour, YP Lee, Richards, Mattocks, etc. Very good depth for a team new to MLS.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AlanO View Post
    Not convinced that Robson and Miller are worthy of DP spots, but Vancouver has done a good job of filling out the roster with solid players... Koffie, Camilo, DeMerit, Rochat, Bonjour, YP Lee, Richards, Mattocks, etc. Very good depth for a team new to MLS.
    Robson and Miller are worth about 250k. But then again, Vancouver's standard in DP is so low... I mean they had Jarju who was even worse of a fail than Mista

Vancouver also lost to Portland 1-0, massively shooting themselves in the foot. If Dallas gets a win vs Seattle, last week of MLS is going to be very interesting.

Dallas vs Seattle

http://www.thefirstrow.eu/watch/1482...fc-dallas.html

SJ 2-2 LA. Wondo with 26th goal of the season.

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1-1 at half time in a monsoon...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seattle 3-1 Dallas.

Vancouver clinches 5th spot in the West, and will play LA Galaxy first

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean they had Jarju who was even worse of a fail than Mista
    Lol that's what happens when you get your top players from the Belgian second division

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At this early stage of the playoffs I am totally impressed with Seattle and pick them to lift the cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by supersaint View Post
    At this early stage of the playoffs I am totally impressed with Seattle and pick them to lift the cup.
    I wouldn't jump on that yet. Seattle in the playoffs are about as successful as we are in the Regular Season.

Both clubs only seem to know how to win domestic cups.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AlanO View Post
    Oh they've done a piss-poor job of managing the assets they were pretty much gifted. Trading for Dane Richards who is leaving at the end of the season, and not even starting him? I'd call that a little bit odd to say the least.

We should see if we can pry a few players out of them in the off season. Rene probably has his eye on more of his own players who will inevitably under-perform.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4th vs 5th seed playoff games

31 Oct: Houston at Chicago, 9pm
    1 Nov: Vancouver at LA, 1030pm

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4th vs 5th seed playoff games

31 Oct: Houston at Chicago, 9pm
    1 Nov: Vancouver at LA, 1030pm
    These are 1 game then? I'm thinking LA and Houston.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post

These are 1 game then? I'm thinking LA and Houston.
    I am gonna pick Chicago and LA although I would like to see Vancouver pull of the upset. Really looking forward to the playoffs.Still taking Seattle for the cup, although Johnson injury is worrying. Who does everyone else pick?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am gonna pick Chicago and LA although I would like to see Vancouver pull of the upset. Really looking forward to the playoffs.Still taking Seattle for the cup...
    I agree with you. If Van can somehow knock off LA, I can see San Jose in the final. If LA goes through I can see Seattle reach the final. The East is tough to call. My guess is that Chicago will go through from the knock out, but it'll either be NYRB or Sporting Kansas in the final. A Seattle v SKC would be a pretty exciting match and a sweet repeat of the US Open Cup final. Not basing any of this on numbers though lol. Just a hunch.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am gonna pick Chicago and LA although I would like to see Vancouver pull of the upset. Really looking forward to the playoffs.Still taking Seattle for the cup, although Johnson injury is worrying. Who does everyone else pick?
    Eddie Johnson has a minor knock and should be fit for this weekend

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vancouver at LA should be no brainer. Vancouver has been just as bad as TFC in 2nd half of the season and lost to LA both times at HDC. LA has been one of consistently better teams in Western Conference in 2nd half, and managers rarely outcoach Bruch Arena, esp in playoff situations. LA 2-0 Vancouver

Houston at Chicago is a little more tricky, because both teams have been decent in 2nd half. Chicago has been the dark horse in the East and with addition of Shejill Macdonald and Alvaro Fernandez, got that extra bit of something special to unlock Houston's well drilled defence. But Brad Davis set piece, and maybe a bit of magic from Boniek Garcia might do the trick. I think I'm going with Chicago though, and this might go to extra time, because Houston don't have a legit starting striker. Will Bruin isn't ready to handle the go to guy role yet. Chicago 2-1 Houston

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will bruin makes me look like a moron, scoring a brace as houston wins 2-1, their first road win in like three months

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, Will Bruin, a player we could have drafted instead of trading for Sturgis...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post
    Ah, Will Bruin, a player we could have drafted instead of trading for Sturgis...
    Yes. Him or CJ Sapong would look like a fortuitous or brilliant draft except for the fact we were after a midfielder and probably looked to make the same choice as Vancouver who got the pick of Michael Nanchoff.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/michael-nanchoff

Not as fortuitous. But hey, looking back is fun.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 11-01-2012 at 07:25 AM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody watching LA vs Vancouver tonight?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm watching.

And isn't it great that all the Whitecaps fans got to see the Argos beat the Ticats at home on the last play of the game?!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Petor View Post
    I'm watching.

And isn't it great that all the Whitecaps fans got to see the Argos beat the Ticats at home on the last play of the game?!!!
    Oski Weeeeaaaaafuck.

holy crap VanShitty scored!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.thefirstrow.eu/

healthy contingent of streams tonight, this is the one im running on. anything better?
    http://www.thefirstrow.eu/watch/1502...whitecaps.html

say what you will about vancouver, they've got a good grouping out to this game. personally i hope they take it, whatever helps grow the sport in canada. mattocks with a goal mocking the fans again, what a fuckwad.