Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE might be in a Catch 22
    No coach will come to TFC unless it's a head coach job, but MLSE won't fire Mariner because they don't know if they can find someone decent due to TFC's poor rep.
    So we're stuck with Mariner next season? Heavens wept
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    No coach will come to TFC unless it's a head coach job, but MLSE won't fire Mariner because they don't know if they can find someone decent due to TFC's poor rep.
    They could have just offered Heath the head coach job and fired Mariner. I bet he signs for TFC if they do that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well surely, Mariner and "decent" don't belong in the same sentence, so what's the problem? I'm not saying Heath is the answer, but he's got plenty of real NA experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any other team would have absolutely no problem letting Mariner go with his shit record. If you can't find someone new (which I find impossible to believe that there is no one out of a job who fits the bill of what were looking for) than install Rongen as caretaker.
    Heath is a Manager who knows the NA setup, manages a NA team, is a winner, AND coaches the style that TFC decided that it wants two years ago. He's about as qualified as anyone you're going to find. But of course we lose out on him because Anselmi doesn't have the balls to just cut his losses on a guy who's never had success as a manager and has proven incapable of winning during his time here. There is absolutely nothing to lose by firing Mariner, nothing to gain by keeping him, and everything to gain by hiring the right replacement.
    Last edited by Ajax TFC; 10-23-2012 at 08:42 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Thank god.

He might be someone decent but we don't need this self-entrenchment bullshit. This is no different than Mo Johnston hiring somebody else to put them in the line of fire.
    Yep.

Sounds like Mariner was (and is) headed upstairs with this attempted hiring of his own replacement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    Any other team would have absolutely no problem letting Mariner go with his shit record. If you can't find someone new (which I find impossible to believe that there is no one out of a job who fits the bill of what were looking for) than install Rongen as caretaker.
    Heath is a Manager who knows the NA setup, manages a NA team, is a winner, AND coaches the style that TFC decided that it wants two years ago. He's about as qualified as anyone you're going to find. But of course we lose out on him because Anselmi doesn't have the balls to just cut his losses on a guy who's never had success as a manager and has proven incapable of winning during his time here. There is absolutely nothing to lose by firing Mariner, nothing to gain by keeping him, and everything to gain by hiring the right replacement.
    +1000

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bring in Ricardo La Volpe!
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfc2008 View Post
    Sorry boys and girls I don't like it also but the news about a coach is Mariner is back for 1 year.
    you gues can write think and speak stopped thinks about new coach but the truth is it is Mariner.
    What ?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Orlando City signs coach Adrian Heath to 3-year extension

Guys don't get excited over Yves roumor,he does not have such a good sources with TFC.

Orlando City signs coach Adrian Heath to 3-year extension
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Whether Mariner knew or not is irrelevant at this point. The team was already grooming his replacement. here's the longer story from Ives, saying he turned down a high salary, too. Someone should change the headline on the thread to "Health rejects MLSE"

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2012/10/...city-deal.html

$300,000 per year contract? I wonder how much Mariner is making?

If they're going to hire an assistant coach then just hire Hart. He was making $300,000 per year managing Canadian national team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    Guys don't get excited over Yves roumor,he does not have such a good sources with TFC.

Agreed. Ives only source was fired (Mo Johnson), since then, he hasn't broke any TFC news/rumours. Maybe Mariner is his new source now (he called Mariner to ask him for his opinion on Heath)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post

Huh? We've already been talking about Heath signing with Orlando for a few hours, in this & another thread. In this case, Ives' source was solid, as both Heath & Mariner have now confirmed that TFC was indeed trying to sign Heath. He didn't want to sign with TFC, despite them offering a truckload of cash, which is a huge embarrassment to TFC.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As already pointed out, MLSE offering Head Coach cash (and then some) yet selling Heath short with the whole "Assistant Coach" posturing was as laughable a strategy as you're going to see. MLSE doesn't care about sports or wins or their fans, but they do take pride in being good businessmen and getting their man. This debacle illustrates that they aren't even good at that! Their sole trump card and luck is that the people of GTA will keep giving them money.

Failed at everything sports-related, now it's finally infected their business flex and ability. This is really embarrassing for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.wftv.com/news/sports/socc...h-orlan/nSmB4/

According to the Lions head coach [Heath], Toronto offered an assistant coaching position with the understanding that he would eventually become the head coach. He said he chose to stay in Orlando because of his relationship with the players and team owner Phil Rawlins.
    amazing, TFC is still making future promises to people ... given the growing number of former players and coaches who have said promises were not kept, you would think they might learn a lesson sooner or later, but here it is again

i expect Heath did his homework and found out what a TFC promise is really worth

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It never made sense to me why Heath would come to Toronto as an assistant. It didn't sound right from the beginning.

By the way, the 3-year extension with Orlando isn't a big deal. I'm sure if some other MLS club that isn't run as poorly as TFC comes asking for Heath, Orlando would let him go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/0...-toward-m-l-s/

It has been five months since Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber visited Orlando to discuss the city’s prospects as a future M.L.S. market with the Orlando City club and local political leaders. “It’s not a matter of if, but when,” Garber told a rowdy lunchtime gathering of Orlando soccer fans in March at a Downtown bar on Church Street, a few blocks east of the Florida Citrus Bowl.
    I suspect that staying with Orlando has as much to do with them coming into the MLS in the next few years as it does with Toronto. Ignoring any politics or smears on TFC for a minute, he could either be an assistant for an MLS team or the head coach of one.

If I was in his shoes, I'd rather build up Orlando on the way into the MLS than try to fix TFC. Building Orlando would be an easier job due to the freedom he has to sign players before coming into the MLS.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Orlando is a bit of a pipe dream in terms of expansion. At least at this point.

Garber is just saying the right things.

I will believe it when someone with money and a stadium plan pops up.
    Last edited by narduch; 10-24-2012 at 07:25 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If TFC couldnt get a USL coach to come for a shit-load of money then I think we may be in trouble.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mastermixer View Post
    If TFC couldnt get a USL coach to come for a shit-load of money then I think we may be in trouble.
    I agree that is one way of looking at it, though in this case I will say that Heath is probably very comfortable in Orlando right now. Has a great relationship with management/ownership, they have a longterm plan to be in MLS with Heath involved. Also the fact that he has been massively succesful in Orlando, I think they have only lost 5 matches in two years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe some people aren't driven by money?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True... but after this I'm just concerned about the reputation of this franchise and getting any sort of a respectable coaching staff or player to come here.

Looking back, they really should have kept Winter on until at least the end of this season to at least ease the reputation of the shotgun coaching changes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clubs never have a problem finding a good coach if they need to. I remember the last time Oxford were looking for a manager, they received over 100 applications, some with championship, and even premiership experience. Oxford were in the Conference at the time! Even if you think your club is totally messed up and "nobody will want to manage it", coaches will still apply, and good coaches with good experience. Good coaches are always interested in teams at the bottom, as its a great way to stamp all your authority over the club and make it your own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm actually glad he didn't sign for a lot of reasons, including that I'm not convinced he's any good. Like Mariner, he's a failed manager in the English Championship, which is about equal to the level of football he can expect in MLS. He has some NA experience, granted, and has won a championship and has a very good record in USL. But we should remember USL has no salary cap, and Orlando, having some MLS aspirations, is spending money on their club. He has way more to work with than the other teams. So I'm not sure his record is indicative of him, or the resources the club has. He may have turned out to be good, I just think if you look critically at his record, there is a lot to be worried about.

At any rate, it's all moot now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Good coaches are always interested in teams at the bottom, as its a great way to stamp all your authority over the club and make it your own.
    See, you're assuming that he will be able to stamp his authority. That's not going to happen as long as ABC and Mariner remain above him. It will be Winter all over again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Orlando Sports editor Mike Gramajo who covers Orlando City asked Adrian Heath why he did not take the job:

Heath said:

“Toronto offered a good financial deal, but their football isn’t what I wanted,”

https://twitter.com/Voice_Mgramajo/s...18971565187073

This pretty much says it all

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ So it's all about Mariner.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well its clear from the way Orlando plays that they play a much different style then the one Mariner was having TFC attempt to play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mdc 77 View Post
    Well its clear from the way Orlando plays that they play a much different style then the one Mariner was having TFC attempt to play.
    Looks like a pretty big indictment of Mariner. Sounds like there is still a pretty serious split in the organization as well - certainly the stated "vision" is closer to what Heath is doing in Orlando. Was Mariner telling him that's not the real vision? He should have been excited to come here based on how we say we want to play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moralis View Post
    Orlando Sports editor Mike Gramajo who covers Orlando City asked Adrian Heath why he did not take the job:

Heath said:

“Toronto offered a good financial deal, but their football isn’t what I wanted,”

This story just keeps getting better.

"Heath turns down TFC coaching offer, wants to work for someone who wears pants"
    Last edited by ag futbol; 10-24-2012 at 01:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where's Toronto sports media? Haven't seen any articles from them about Heath declining TFC's offer.

Quote Originally Posted by moralis View Post

Heath said:

Honestly, if this isn't indicator that Mariner needs to go then I don't know how else to convince MLSE to fire Mariner and Co. Soccer is bad, fans aren't going stay for too long (outside supporters and some of season ticket holders with extensive seats) and now being rejected by 3rd division soccer manager who rather stay in 3rd division and make 3rd division money than join TFC and make $300,000 per year because TFC rep isn't enough to get rid of Mariner and Co?

Shame on ML$E for keeping Mariner and Co. for next season.
    Last edited by TFC07; 10-24-2012 at 01:50 PM.