Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    What are you basing this on? The fact Puerto Rico isn't doing well? Or do you have other information?
    Clearly it's just opinion.

This game is always changing structure at some level here in NA. NASL is a venture to improve the overall level of play here. The league is so small and young that they will be talked about as unstable for years. I'm glad for the exodus of stronger teams to try and add a level to the NA structure. Especially since there was so much animosity or bad feels about some of the USL structure.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...reserve-league

http://uslpro.uslsoccer.com/home/690349.html

Formal announcement

for 2013, 4 USL teams will have MLS affiliations. Those 4 MLS teams will not be fielding a team in 2013 MLS Reserve League. USL teams will play home and away game vs an MLS reserve team, and the results will count in respective leagues.

reading between the lines, 2014 seems to be the year where USL is reorganized with MLS reserve teams joining in, for those MLS teams that wish to field a team in USL
    Last edited by Yohan; 01-23-2013 at 03:41 PM.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sporting KC announces 2 year affiliation with Orlando City

http://www.whec.com/news/stories/s2905701.shtml?cat=565

Rochester Rhinos to be affiliated with New England

http://www.whec.com/news/stories/s2905701.shtml?cat=565

In an affiliated team, the MLS team has to send at least 4 players to USL affiliate's team
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is good news. Glad we're going to do our own thing and not affiliate with Rochester.

Hopefully the next stage of this comes to fruition shortly: ie. reserve league teams playing games in USL or the reserve league bulking up on the number of games it plays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    This is good news. Glad we're going to do our own thing and not affiliate with Rochester.

Hopefully the next stage of this comes to fruition shortly: ie. reserve league teams playing games in USL or the reserve league bulking up on the number of games it plays.
    Agreed.

We spent all the money on the training facilities and such. Why not continue it with the reserve team, this is really exciting.

Academy players will now have the option to play play on the reserve team year round, and go to university/college at home

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jahinho_Guerro View Post
    Agreed.

We spent all the money on the training facilities and such. Why not continue it with the reserve team, this is really exciting.

Academy players will now have the option to play play on the reserve team year round, and go to university/college at home
    Yeah let's hope for a real solution this time out.

The reserve league in the past was even worse than advertised. Not only were there very few games, but teams also used them for a variety of different reasons. TFC pushed their own young players aside at times to make room for trialists, guys trying to regain fitness, or whatever else was on the short term agenda. That's great if they played 30 times a year, but when that number is 10? That has to be seriously deflating for guys trying to become better professionals and get some game time.

Not that this is a TFC specific problem though... it's very much league wide.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://blogs.democratandchronicle.com/devo/?p=8668

More thoughts, from USL/Rochester POV

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/co...league-in-2013

No USL affiliation for TFC in 2013. TFC will have a reserve team.

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://the11.ca/2013/01/24/montaglia...eams-in-canada

If a Canadian MLS team puts an USL affiliate in Canada, it won't receive a CSA D3 sanction

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Richmond Kickers set to announce affiliation with DC United

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/la...9bb30f31a.html

Philadelphia and Harrisburg City Islanders already has an affiliation prior to this announcement

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC Reserves will be playing Pittsburgh Riverhounds twice. These games will be streamed from USL website.

Fri 7 June 7pm @ Pittsburgh
    Sun 28 July in Toronto

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...ange-soccer-us

more MLS propaganda on the subject, though it says USL president is going to speak with CSA to get D3 sanction for USL

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pittsburgh has a nice new 3,000 seat SSS (one of 3 USL-Pro teams with SSS, Charleston and Rochester are the others) riverside on opposite bank from downtown. I was planning a visit there even before the reserve league game was announced.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I like the direction this is going.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...ange-soccer-us

more MLS propaganda on the subject, though it says USL president is going to speak with CSA to get D3 sanction for USL
    I'll be interested to see how that goes. The CSA seems to have put their flag down on the position that we can't be expected to piggyback the US leagues at all levels of the pyramid.

Knowing the way they operate though, they'll lose their backbone and retreat.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll be interested to see how that goes. The CSA seems to have put their flag down on the position that we can't be expected to piggyback the US leagues at all levels of the pyramid.

Knowing the way they operate though, they'll lose their backbone and retreat.
    The Canadian teams have multiple options if the CSA doesn't budge.

(1) Continue to field reserve teams (probably not the best choice long-run)
    (2) Affiliate with U.S. teams (not as unusual as you would think. In MLB, the Blue Jays are affiliated with 6 minor league clubs, only one of which is in Canada)
    (3) Try to work out something equivalent between MLS and a yet-to-be-created local league

I think that #2 is the most likely outcome.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think they'll have to take a look at the setup in England with the leagues below the conference.

Obviously it'll never be as "all-encompassing" as it is over there, but I think this is would serve as a guide (check it out) : http://thepyramid.info/

Also, screw whatever FIFA says and put aside the concept of national leagues. The best solution for soccer in North America (well, Canada and America) is a USSF/CSA partnership to oversee such a construct.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ooo... I might have to get one of these :

a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Duane says that the CSA won't stand in the way of Canadian Clubs participating in USL Pro:

And the CSA won't stand in their way. President Victor Montagliani confirmed with CSN today that they have no intention to block the Canadian MLS teams from playing reserve games as part of USL-Pro. The only caveat, he made, was that the reserve teams would not be sanctioned separately from their senior teams and, as such, would not be able to participate in Canadian competitions – most notably the Voyageurs Cup.
    http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/co...ds-to-be-taken
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/t...rtnership.html

More details

If an MLS team chose to set up an USL team, that USL team can have 30 players, among other things. Avg cost to run an USL team is 2-3 mil/yr

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ If you look at the quote from Oldtimer and the post from Yohan that sets up an interesting conundrum.

Looks like we can have a reserve side in USL Pro but not a stand-alone team. MLS is migrating towards a system where every MLS franchise is affiliated with a USL team or has a farm team. CSA really wants their D3 league, but can they get it? I have my doubts. If we get forced into a slow to start, unstable, and sub-par D3 league by the CSA at the expense of a USL franchise I will be pissed. If they insist on this Canadian D3 league they better get it done quick, and properly.

That being said, I fully expect with the MLS clubs being pros and the CSA being amateurs, that whatever the clubs want will eventually happen.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ If you look at the quote from Oldtimer and the post from Yohan that sets up an interesting conundrum.

Looks like we can have a reserve side in USL Pro but not a stand-alone team. MLS is migrating towards a system where every MLS franchise is affiliated with a USL team or has a farm team. CSA really wants their D3 league, but can they get it? I have my doubts. If we get forced into a slow to start, unstable, and sub-par D3 league by the CSA at the expense of a USL franchise I will be pissed. If they insist on this Canadian D3 league they better get it done quick, and properly.

That being said, I fully expect with the MLS clubs being pros and the CSA being amateurs, that whatever the clubs want will eventually happen.
    http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/co...ds-to-be-taken

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Yep that's the same link as OT posted.

In simple terms, between the articles here is what I see (and it's not the implication most people are drawing):
    - MLS teams eventually will be required to field separate stand alone entities in USL Pro. Entries by reserve league teams will not be allowed.
    - The CSA will not fully sanction a separate team. But you need a separate team long term to participate in USL Pro.
    - therefore CSA will not allow full-on participation in USL pro clubs by MLS teams. Probably because they want their own D3 league.

Now some people are taking this strictly as "they won't be able to play in the Canadian Championship but no other restrictions"... that's not the way I am reading it.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read it that the Canadian teams can have full teams in USL Pro, but these teams cannot have separate ownership and cannot participate in continental play (or qualifying play like the CCL). The difference between a "reserve team" and a "team" is just semantics. What matters is the relationship to the first team.

What the CSA is trying to do is set up a whole pyramid below MLS that will operate in Canada only, because American leagues don't value Canadian players as much as U.S. players. For that, they need money, and the MLS clubs have money. So it's part of a pressure tactic on behalf of the CSA. They don't want to cripple the Canadian clubs, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Fair enough. Hopefully it's just semantics and nothing more than that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't blame CSA for trying to establish a Canadian league where Canadian kids wouldn't be treated like second class citizen like they do in MLS. I hope we establish a 2nd division league soon. We desperately need it to order to develop young Canadian players for MLS and Europe.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://the11.ca/2013/02/20/usl-teams...cademy-players

USL teams to be allowed to carry MLS Academy players

-Eduardo Galeano