View Poll Results: Would hiring someone like Avram Grant get you to renew your faith with TFC FO?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it casts away some doubts.

14 23.33%
  • No, not a chance.

31 51.67%
  • Not Sure

15 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avram Grant?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Avram Grant?

Im going to throw this out there, wouldnt it make sense to hire a guy with experience to be Paul Mariner's boss and has a good resume as a Director of Football and a Manager?

If tomorrow TFC FO hired Avram Grant as President or Director of Football, would you be happy with this move?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avram_Grant
    Last edited by [NBF]; 10-10-2012 at 08:13 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO the president (or whatever title they give them) has to be someone who knows the NA game and knows how to win here and work and have extensive knowledge of the limited resources available to MLS teams. I won't get my hopes up if they hire anything less than that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    Im going to throw this out there, wouldnt it make sense to hire a guy with experience to be Paul Mariner's boss and has a good resume as a Director of Football and a Manager?

If tomorrow TFC FO hired Avram Grant as President or Director of Football, would you be happy with this move?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avram_Grant
    This is a pretty random question. Why Avram Grant? Owen Coyle got fired this week. Why not him? Mick McCarthy is still without a job I believe. Why not him?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    This is a pretty random question. Why Avram Grant? Owen Coyle got fired this week. Why not him? Mick McCarthy is still without a job I believe. Why not him?
    McCarthy, if not just for the gifs!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I voted 'no, not a chance.' As has been noted before, experience in the Americas and working with the style of player most available here, in budgetary terms, seems the most sensible approach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I voted 'no, not a chance.' As has been noted before, experience in the Americas and working with the style of player most available here, in budgetary terms, seems the most sensible approach.
    Agreed.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Getting someone from overseas generally fails. MLS is unique.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Getting someone from overseas generally fails. MLS is unique.

Agreeing with this.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'ire 'arry!

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This club needs someone familiar with MLS to lead. The new ownership would be wise to go to Frank Yallop, tell him how they are changing everything at the club, starting from scratch and want him to lead this change. Give him full power to do what he knows/thinks is best to get this club competitive.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine where this club would be today if we managed to nab Yallop back in 2006.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The TFC FO would have undermined Yallop and forced him to leave. They'd be too nervous of his success and fear that he might replace them in their jobs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we're going European again, I'd much rather give it to Soler and Backe, who had their tuition paid by the Red Bulls.

A Grant would just be Gullit/Winter all over again. The only thing these guys can do is drive the signing of a couple of older, name players for too much money.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    If we're going European again, I'd much rather give it to Soler and Backe, who had their tuition paid by the Red Bulls.
    I agree with this.

But I have a feeling its Earl Cochrane that will be searching for Mariner's replacement. Next season of course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any chance of hiring Prosinecki?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    Avram Grant as President or Director of Football, would you be happy with this move?
    Toronto desperately needs a president but it shouldn't be a former coach or anyone with coaching aspirations. The president's job will be much different than a coach's job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    Toronto desperately needs a president but it shouldn't be a former coach or anyone with coaching aspirations. The president's job will be much different than a coach's job.
    Yes. And all we would have to do to really show that is merge this thread with the "Who Scouts for TFC" thread to see what any new president is up against. There has never really been any orhanization in this organization.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    The TFC FO would have undermined Yallop and forced him to leave. They'd be too nervous of his success and fear that he might replace them in their jobs.
    Agreed...without a Football man at the top TFC will continue to be a incompetent joke....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MG42 View Post
    McCarthy, if not just for the gifs!
    One in the hole, you say?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    'ire 'arry!

i've been a Portsmouth fan for 9 years now and i would give a finger to have this guy manage in Toronto!!!! I doubt he'd come though, what with his age and family situation. One of the best man motivators out there.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sashavukelich View Post
    i've been a Portsmouth fan for 9 years now and i would give a finger to have this guy manage in Toronto!!!! I doubt he'd come though, what with his age and family situation. One of the best man motivators out there.
    i heard a crazy ass rumour about him and new york.
    actually, scrap that, crazy ass rumour and new york aren't allowed in the same sentence.

i love what he did at tottenham, he just seemed to hit a standstill, couldn't see past the starting 11.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    One in the hole, you say?

McCarthy4TFC

#cuzwhynot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grant is a serious manager, you would have to believe that he would build the team as he sits fit, outside of interference from the MLSE brass. So yes a move like this I am all for.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not trying to be sarcastic but I would say that Avram Grant is seriously not a good manager, and a seriously flawed choice to manage an MLS club. Especially Toronto FC.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

why stop with Grant, or McCarthy ? Why not get Rafa, or even Big Phil ? I hear they're both available... or let's get Guus Hiddink - fuck it if he's got a job already - just hand him a suitcase full of money, and then sit back and watch as any hope you may have had is quashed in less than two years, when MLSE fires him and instates a parent volunteer of one of the academy players as interim coach.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So then, what would make a good manager for TFC, and what would make a good President/GM for TFC? With all the soccer knowledge here, we should be able to draft a set of requirements. Heck, maybe someone could give to Anselmi at the 90th minute party and give him permission to sell it to the board as his own blueprint - I don't care if he takes credit so long as TFC starts heading in the right direction.
    Last edited by Initial B; 10-12-2012 at 02:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    So then, what would make a good manager for TFC, and what would make a good President/GM for TFC? With all the soccer knowledge here, we should be able to draft a set of requirements. Heck, maybe someone could give to Anselmi at the 90th minute party and give him permission to sell it to the board as his own blueprint - I don't care if he takes credit so long as TFC starts heading in the right direction.
    A good manager would be Colin Clarke, currently head coach of the Railhawks in NASL. During his two seasons as head coach of Dallas Burn he took them to the playoffs twice, then was fired when they lost in a shootout. He's always had winning records, always developed players well, knows the region.

A good president is going to be someone who is even-handed, intelligent, can talk to the board, and inspires confidence. My first pick would be Manny Lagos, who runs the NASL team in Minnesota but has huge respect throughout US Soccer, international and MLS experience, and is a good coach to boot. He already has this role as well as being a coach, and his team's business status (despite being defending champs) is that it's owned by the league, so he has to deal with those types constantly.

My second would probably be Dave Sarachan at LA, Bruce Arena's assistant, for a bunch of the same reasons as Lagos. My third would be Oliver Luck, current head of athletics at WVU, and former president of the Houston Dynamo.

I really don't think either of these positions is hard to fill competently. That's why MLSE's record to date is so flabbergasting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I voted yes, only because I think he'd push out Bernie and Cochrane. Unfortunately Anselmi is here to stay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There may be an obvious answer to this question but if Anselmi knows nothing about soccer why is the board then trusting him to make decsions on who to hire, at the end of the day his signature is on the coach/manager conrtracts is it not?

Why hasnt the board already pushed to get a president in charge when clearly they have every reason to do so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    There may be an obvious answer to this question but if Anselmi knows nothing about soccer why is the board then trusting him to make decsions on who to hire, at the end of the day his signature is on the coach/manager conrtracts is it not?

Why hasnt the board already pushed to get a president in charge when clearly they have every reason to do so.
    You're assuming that the board knows anymore than Tom. That may be a bad assumption.