View Poll Results: Would hiring someone like Avram Grant get you to renew your faith with TFC FO?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it casts away some doubts.

14 23.33%
  • No, not a chance.

31 51.67%
  • Not Sure

15 25.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Avram Grant?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    You're assuming that the board knows anymore than Tom. That may be a bad assumption.
    Well I actually assume the board knows nothing about soccer. If your a board member you make sure the people making decsions are qualified, Tom is not, i fail to see how the board can be confident in someone with no soccer background making related decsions. Hiring a consultant by Tom is all well and good but you cant do it all the time, especially when you change the plan part way in which it looks like they have. I believe a president in this situation would have hired personal to continue the long term vision, right now TFC seems like they have none or are strapped with Mariner because of his contract clause?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    why stop with Grant, or McCarthy ? Why not get Rafa, or even Big Phil ? I hear they're both available... or let's get Guus Hiddink - fuck it if he's got a job already - just hand him a suitcase full of money, and then sit back and watch as any hope you may have had is quashed in less than two years, when MLSE fires him and instates a parent volunteer of one of the academy players as interim coach.
    Avram's last job was with Partizan Belgrade, if I am not wrong, so he is actually a realistic hire. His budget with Partizan would be similar to the MLS. Only here he could hire 3 DPs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    i heard a crazy ass rumour about him and new york.
    actually, scrap that, crazy ass rumour and new york aren't allowed in the same sentence.

i love what he did at tottenham, he just seemed to hit a standstill, couldn't see past the starting 11.
    from a tottenham fan,
    imo 'arrys problem was that he demanded a contract extension and levy simply said something along the lines of 'yes you're on track, but finish your contract and if you do what you promised we can then sign you onto another contract' harry refused, and well now he's doing consulting jobs atm.

in before the klinsmann jokes. (consultant)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    A good manager would be Colin Clarke, currently head coach of the Railhawks in NASL. During his two seasons as head coach of Dallas Burn he took them to the playoffs twice, then was fired when they lost in a shootout. He's always had winning records, always developed players well, knows the region.

A good president is going to be someone who is even-handed, intelligent, can talk to the board, and inspires confidence. My first pick would be Manny Lagos, who runs the NASL team in Minnesota but has huge respect throughout US Soccer, international and MLS experience, and is a good coach to boot. He already has this role as well as being a coach, and his team's business status (despite being defending champs) is that it's owned by the league, so he has to deal with those types constantly.

My second would probably be Dave Sarachan at LA, Bruce Arena's assistant, for a bunch of the same reasons as Lagos. My third would be Oliver Luck, current head of athletics at WVU, and former president of the Houston Dynamo.

I really don't think either of these positions is hard to fill competently. That's why MLSE's record to date is so flabbergasting.
    talking with my dad the other day (also uses this account) we both agreed Colin Clarke would be a good manager but i brought up the point that he would only be a good 'players manager' we would still need a proper man to do the paperwork/player signings/scouting on track/etc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by West220Side View Post
    talking with my dad the other day (also uses this account) we both agreed Colin Clarke would be a good manager but i brought up the point that he would only be a good 'players manager' we would still need a proper man to do the paperwork/player signings/scouting on track/etc
    Sarachan and Luck certainly have that experience; I don't know about Lagos, but he's so connected I can't see him not at least being able to marshall the right resources.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure someone like Grant (or his ilk) would be overly interest in working in an environment/ownership that isn't football first?

Just a thought.
    “We changed the entire league’s opinion of the viability of soccer in North America. And then we blew it because we chickened out." —Tim Leiweke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone who would be a good addition to the program in Toronto and would have a connection with our Academy is Dave van den Bergh. He's an assistant with the US junior program, but was a great player. Lanky dude who could make things happen. Grew up Ajax style. Played a ton in the MLS. I see him as a great assistant coach for our squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto_Bhoy View Post
    Not sure someone like Grant (or his ilk) would be overly interest in working in an environment/ownership that isn't football first?

Just a thought.
    He would not. That is why bringing some one like him would be good as he would demand to be in control of the entire shitboat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Sarachan and Luck certainly have that experience; I don't know about Lagos, but he's so connected I can't see him not at least being able to marshall the right resources.
    Sounds like the best way forward. Invest in the best available N.A. management and coaching staff. If there is a better way to evaluate and scout talent for the MLS I am not sure what it is? Since we cannot just buy another top MLS clubs management team we need to look to the second tier in this region. Speaking of the region maybe TFC should seriously look at scouting Panama and Honduras domestic leagues for players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    He would not. That is why bringing some one like him would be good as he would demand to be in control of the entire shitboat.
    Grant is an awful manager. His five league wins in Israel came over a period of nearly twenty years, and even the most die-hard Israeli soccer fans attribute them to budgets and runs of luck. Since leaving that league, he's never had a winning record other than Chelsea, with the biggest budget in history. He's apparently great at social networking though; his wife is an ex-TV host in Israel, and he was friends with Roman Abramovich long before he was hired at Portsmouth or Chelsea.

Definitely not the way to go.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    There may be an obvious answer to this question but if Anselmi knows nothing about soccer why is the board then trusting him to make decsions on who to hire, at the end of the day his signature is on the coach/manager conrtracts is it not?

Why hasnt the board already pushed to get a president in charge when clearly they have every reason to do so.
    Because the board is all "OY TOM WE TRUST YE WITH THE SOCKAZ, CUZ YOUSE THE PRESIDENT YOU IS"
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens