Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    He's not loved by AEG apparently because he sued them for backpay. But this column from Galarcep in 2006 illustrates why he'd fit in here.
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns...ot=mls&cc=5901
    So I guess you can say they AEG/MLS owe him

Honestly did some research and he wasn't just an assistant in the MLS. He was brought in to make teams better technically! and tactically!, and sessions would be deferred to him.

We always talk about the MLS formula for building teams, well this guy knows his stuff. with no interference he could build us a winner and is the exact level that needed to follow after Winters dismissal .

As far as the issues within league politics, it has to be fairly sticky!, because there is no reason Mariner should have a head coaching job before him in this leaguePeriod

Also found out that the league hit-back by claiming he was"on the take".
    Last edited by DoubleUp; 10-08-2012 at 06:16 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So basically we want to take one of the most loved players we've ever had, douse him in pig's blood, wrap him in a straight jacket, drop him in the middle of the ocean....and see if it makes it to shore?

Seems like what the original post is suggesting, maybe it's just me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    So basically we want to take one of the most loved players we've ever had, douse him in pig's blood, wrap him in a straight jacket, drop him in the middle of the ocean....and see if it makes it to shore?

Seems like what the original post is suggesting, maybe it's just me?
    Great guys often do not make great managers. It would be a shame to set our hero up to fail.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually think Danny might be a great manager for TFC. Right now. Reason I say that is not about him per se, and I'm not sure it would translate anywhere else. But I think he commands a room, and I'm a believer in the Shankly "holy trinity": manager, fans, players.

Danny may be no better or worse than anyone else, I get that, but his relationship with us would be known to all. Danny would get a lot of time from us to get things right, and players and mgmt alike would know it.

But I would only advise him to take it if Cochrane were gone, and someone he respects other than Anselmi is the GM/President, hires him, and broadly has hire/fire authority.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Paul Mariner is a legend at Plymouth Argyle for his playing career, but widely panned there for his poor coaching performance... be careful what you wish for

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    Paul Mariner is a legend at Plymouth Argyle for his playing career, but widely panned there for his poor coaching performance... be careful what you wish for
    I never wished for this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They only way this should happen is if the FO is gutted. No one can be left to sabotage Danny with their own agendas. The FO has to be on the same page as the coach. Right now if he got the job he would be set up to fail. As the FO is a bunch if douche bags.

That being said I was told when Winter left Thomas Rogen was suggested to be coach to the end of the year and Danny was going to be the number 2 until the end of the season if the FO wanted to continue the "system" Winter had in place. We all know how that went as we now have Mr Short Pants and Earl the Pearl as the best FO in the MLS

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I never wished for this
    No, but the comparison is to Danny's stature at TFC... imagine he takes over here and it doesn't go well.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One Word:

NO

GlenM
    "You play to win the game"

Herm Edwards - Former NFL Coach

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsYNWA View Post
    I mean what does everyone think..it can't get any worse.
    Hahaha...famous last words.

I would never want to see our one and only legend become the most hated man in the city. Let him stay with the Academy. If the search is on and PM is shown the door, find someone with no previous ties to the city or team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could we just for ONCE try someone with at least a little bit of experience? I'm tired of signing assistants, youth coaches, bus drivers. Dichio is nowhere near ready to coach a club of our size. Not even close. Let him coach his way up the ranks, then maybe take on an NASL side ... then if successful over a period of 3-4 years, sure, I'd be up for giving him a shot.

At this point, I personally want nothing less than an EXPERIENCED head coach with a resume that includes AT LEAST 3 years of coaching a top league club (one step below MLS is fine if a trophy was won). Also, this individual should have a great reputation dealing with management, players and fans (unlike Preki). Someone who is known for an entertaining style of football. Winning mentality. It's extremely important that we get a PROVEN guy who doesn't need to be babysat. Don't forget that his boss will be Anselmi, so he better know what he's doing, because we all know that Anselmi doesn't.

We paid Preki close to a million bucks per year. We can pretty much go to Scandinavia right now and sign any damn guy we want, and they'll be a billion times better than Mariner and the other rookie coaches we've had running our club. Ideally we'd take an MLS guy of course, so that should always be our first attempt.
    Last edited by Super; 10-09-2012 at 09:37 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, but we could always reuse the banner if he ends up taking us to a trophy, we can just paint a tracksuit on top of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see Dichio as a manager of a team ever. I don't get the vibe from him that he would even want it. I defo see him in a coaching capacity within an MLS 1st Team in a few years. He has a good background in that he has played in England, Italy and the MLS so he will have picked up a broad spectrum of training on his travels.I think he'd have a bit of an issue with the distance "managers" have to create between themselves and the players. That's why I think he'd always need to be working alongside someone else and not solely in charge. He'd be a good contact between players and manager, a bit like Gary Nev was for England at Euros.
    I'd like to see a good experienced MLS coach come in, someone who knows how the league works.We've tried inexperienced Euro coaches with not a lot of success. I know some people will say Mo Johnston had MLS experience as a manager, but I don't think he had enough of the right experience. We need a steady wily manager to get us out of this mess.