Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    Nesta $225K

O'Dea $436K

How does this make sense?
    Now I can see why the league wouldn't let the Mellberg deal go through lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    I agree about Mariner's brand of football being garbage...problem is....Ecks and O'Dea are Mariners brand of footballer. Not sure if they can spearhead a defensive line that will be able to win balls AND move it along to a midfield that can keep possession. O'Dea and Ecks are both "boot it out" defenders. Even Eck's distribution is often a 30 yard cross field ball.

And O'Dea paired with another solid CB means, at the very least, another 75-100k for that defender.

1 million dollars along the back line where O'Dea and Ecks are the anchors? No thanks
    I'm not sure O'Dea isn't good enough to be an anchor, and actually I don't think his passing ability is that bad. He doesn't get a whole lot of midfield movement unfortunately, but I think he knows where to place balls for midfeielders if they have the awareness to run into space.

At this point I want to see Henry be his defensive pairing. Screw this Ecks at centre half, Logan Emory, etc. We need to see if Henry can step into the role.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to see what the cap-hit number is next year, but if it is actually 300k for O'Dea for 2013 I might put on my tinfoil had and assume Mo Johnston was never fired.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    You do know there are quite a few MLS defenders that makes more than Nesta.
    Ok, then how does that make sense? Montreal is getting one hell of a deal or other teams are over paying?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I'm not sure O'Dea isn't good enough to be an anchor, and actually I don't think his passing ability is that bad. He doesn't get a whole lot of midfield movement unfortunately, but I think he knows where to place balls for midfeielders if they have the awareness to run into space.

At this point I want to see Henry be his defensive pairing. Screw this Ecks at centre half, Logan Emory, etc. We need to see if Henry can step into the role.
    There aren't many good passer CB in MLS. most teams make due with defenders who are ok with passing, but makes it up with keeping it simple when making the first pass out of the backline
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm all for bringing Henry along, but let's not shell-shock the kid. Feed him some minutes when required but otherwise try to protect him from the shit-storm back there.

We need another central defender for next season to take that number one spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I'm all for bringing Henry along, but let's not shell-shock the kid. Feed him some minutes when required but otherwise try to protect him from the shit-storm back there.

We need another central defender for next season to take that number one spot.
    Shit man, if O'Dea isn't the number one at that salary this really is a disaster.
    Last edited by Canary10; 10-04-2012 at 03:44 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    Nesta $225K

O'Dea $436K

How does this make sense?
    One is 36 at the end of his career, one is 25 and has plenty of years ahead of him.

Yes, Nesta was better than O'Dea could dream of being. Yes, he is currently better than O'Dea. However, in O'Dea, we have a quality player that could be with us for years to come.

And of course - TFC overpay for everyone...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shit man, if O'Dea isn't the number one at that salary this really is a disaster.
    Even if he is, I'd prefer they bring in a solid #2 rather than push Henry too far too fast. Poor defensive habits just stick to defenders it seems, I think it's a tough environment we'd be asking him to deal with.

As the #3 CB he'd get enough minutes to avoid getting raw, but would be on a short leash so it's harder to make mistakes without getting punished. He may well push the other guy out of his spot by the end of 2013 but the competition and safety net is positive IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    I agree about Mariner's brand of football being garbage...problem is....Ecks and O'Dea are Mariners brand of footballer. Not sure if they can spearhead a defensive line that will be able to win balls AND move it along to a midfield that can keep possession. O'Dea and Ecks are both "boot it out" defenders. Even Eck's distribution is often a 30 yard cross field ball.

And O'Dea paired with another solid CB means, at the very least, another 75-100k for that defender.

1 million dollars along the back line where O'Dea and Ecks are the anchors? No thanks
    O'Dea is a boot it out defender - so that is a valid point.

I'm convinced that Ecks is capable of playing a more possession based game. He would not have lasted as long at Man Utd, and Fergie wouldn't have wanted to keep if he wasn't capable of playing a more possession based game.

I do think that with a better squad and competent manager, Ecks could easily develop into one of the best fullbacks in the league. He ain't gonna get that with Mariner though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    There aren't many good passer CB in MLS. most teams make due with defenders who are ok with passing, but makes it up with keeping it simple when making the first pass out of the backline
    Ball playing CB's aren't easy to find, and even more difficult when you want to pay them 100-200k. A big problem with the ideal of Winter's system in the MLS that relies so heavily on that type of player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Ball playing CB's aren't easy to find, and even more difficult when you want to pay them 100-200k. A big problem with the ideal of Winter's system in the MLS that relies so heavily on that type of player.
    This is reason why TFCA is so important for us. Cheap young talented players who can play that type of soccer that Winter tried to accomplished here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Even if he is, I'd prefer they bring in a solid #2 rather than push Henry too far too fast. Poor defensive habits just stick to defenders it seems, I think it's a tough environment we'd be asking him to deal with.

As the #3 CB he'd get enough minutes to avoid getting raw, but would be on a short leash so it's harder to make mistakes without getting punished. He may well push the other guy out of his spot by the end of 2013 but the competition and safety net is positive IMO.
    I think Henry's old enough. He came through the academy which, in theory at least, should have him further along in development than an NCAA player. And lots of NCAA players come in and contribut at that position right away. See Matt Hedges and Austin Berry for example (two defenders we could have had by the way).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    O'Dea is a boot it out defender - so that is a valid point.

I'm convinced that Ecks is capable of playing a more possession based game. He would not have lasted as long at Man Utd, and Fergie wouldn't have wanted to keep if he wasn't capable of playing a more possession based game.

I do think that with a better squad and competent manager, Ecks could easily develop into one of the best fullbacks in the league. He ain't gonna get that with Mariner though.
    I dunno about Ecks. I've been watching him closely for the last couple of days. He seems to have serious problems with passes longer than about 10 metres. He sometimes also takes long free kicks late in the game; I always cringe because they never work out, not even close. (I wonder if he does better with long passes and free kicks in training; there must be a reason he keeps getting those assignments, perhaps he's too excitable and can't perform that way in a game.)

With his speed, stamina, fairly good ball control, and some vision & off the ball movement (at least compared with other TFC players) he did fairly well IMO at RB with a ball-control-style, short passing game, racing up the wings etc., but TFC doesn't play that way any more. Even then, his crosses aren't great, and he never gets a shot on net even if he's made it all the way to the edge of the opposing penalty area. Note that Ecks had 0 assists in 2011 and only 2 in 2012 in MLS league play; not good enough at his salary, especially considering how much he got forward in the pre-Mariner days. (I think that Wynne had 5 assists for TFC one season, despite all his faults & the feeling he had no ball control & couldn't cross.)

Ecks is a great guy, great player, just not worth that money in MLS. O'Dea at his salary compounds the issue. Most MLS managers know you don't go to the British Isles if you're looking for bargains on soccer players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ecks and O'Dea are overpaid in a salary capped league, but in their defence, most of the goals TFC have given up since O'Dea's arrival have been breakdowns in the midfield.

There's only so much a CB can do when the midfield is a giant vortex of suck. If you're a CB with the ball at your feet, how confident would you be when your main outlets are Aaron Maund and Terry Dunfield? Yeah, I'd boot it up the field too.. (this isn't an excuse for Mariner's tactics - he's put the team in this position)

O'Dea had a stinker on Saturday, but then again, Thierry Henry has made a lot of defenders look foolish.
    Last edited by AlanO; 10-04-2012 at 05:15 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    This is reason why TFCA is so important for us. Cheap young talented players who can play that type of soccer that Winter tried to accomplished here.
    It is if TFC FO would give a fuck about academy.

4 players who are on TFCA Senior roster are on UofT roster too and Head coach of UofT is TFCA U17 coach.

Kovacevic Mannella,Paunic,Sciacchitano and coach Capotosto.

They are several junior players that should be on Senior team,but no they are wasting their time with juniors,while UofT players getting playing time with Senior academy.

Last edited by denime; 10-04-2012 at 05:20 PM.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post
    O'Dea is also at $436k guaranteed. Over-payment in my opinion based on what I've seen so far. But kind of expected considering he is an Irish international. Poor use of cap space, imo.

Freddy hall is making $44k, as expected. He will probably be back next year, with Kocic being shown the door.
    So how does O'Dea get DP $$$ when he's not a DP? Surely there couldn't be that much in allocation $$$, could there?
    Last edited by spe18; 10-04-2012 at 05:39 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Lulz. Every time you turn around, more evidence of FO incompetence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    They're both overpaid for our league, but are both good starters, i think, so I don't knock it that much. But our overall roster is just staggeringly weak compared to the rest of the league. Some of the names are so surprisingly out of their depth you can't help but wonder what kind of deal possessed someone to sign them in the first place.

I think everyone in the league is having a good chuckle over the deals in Montreal, with much suspicion of under-the-table compensation (or a house, or Saputo shares, or shares in the club, or a guaranteed after-playing gift contract. If they want to pay them more, they'll find a way.)

But I don't think improving teams are the only one where some staff benefit from that kind of chicanery.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    They're both overpaid for our league, but are both good starters, i think, so I don't knock it that much.
    You are too kind. Not like you.

They both make more than Chad Marshall! They don't look like good starters, to me, they look average at best. At best.

Meanwhile SJ signed this year a stud CB with WC experience for $100K.

There is no way to paint this as anything other than the epic cap disaster that it is.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on Mariner raving about Amerikwa today on TFC TV...he isn't going anywhere next year. If anyone was wondering. He only makes 44k so he's just fine as a sub to send out for a run.

Starter? I'd hope not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post

4 players who are on TFCA Senior roster are on UofT roster too and Head coach of UofT is TFCA U17 coach.

They are several junior players that should be on Senior team,but no they are wasting their time with juniors,while UofT players getting playing time with Senior academy.

Would one of those players be Jordan Hamilton? He used to play in TFC reserve games, but now I see him on the junior squad. I realize that those rosters don't really get updated, so do you know if he's one of those players being held back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alot of you made some good points in this thread:Brad you were on fire!.

Somebody touched on one of my concerns about players from a certain part of the football world costing far too much money for their over all value. That being said I also agree with a better midfield we would be able to get some of that value back.

I mentioned in another thread, Canadian international Kyle Porter who is out of contract at the end of the month. He is probably making peanuts and is much better player than wiedamen we would be saving money if we picked up Porter and dropped wiedamen. I also mentioned Ben Zemanski fringe player at Chivas(probably looking to rebuild) who is a great box to box and maybe we could work a deal for Avila.

I also found a potential replacement for Frings in the Middle of the park, might require a transfer fee but he is young enough(28) to be worth it. I won't reveal his name unless you really ask, but the guy could bring that touch of class our midfield is missing and has the quality to activate Silvas full potential!. Thinking about them in the same midfield is orgasmic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    You are too kind. Not like you.

They both make more than Chad Marshall! They don't look like good starters, to me, they look average at best. At best.

Meanwhile SJ signed this year a stud CB with WC experience for $100K.

There is no way to paint this as anything other than the epic cap disaster that it is.
    Yeah, maybe. I dunno. The money's nuts, but they're both underrated to me as players because of a) Eckersley being played out of position and b) the team around them. it's hard for defensive players to "lift" the play around them the way offensive players can, but it's quite easy for them to look worse.

Both of them, if playing with competent peers, would be among the league leaders in terms of Castrol score, I'd bet.

But there's simple not a defensive position in this league worth more than about $250K, and you're right, there are much better bargains out there. That's another serious Mariner problem: the only market he has contacts in other than the U.S. is England, the most expensive market outside of Spain in the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleUp View Post
    I also found a potential replacement for Frings in the Middle of the park, might require a transfer fee but he is young enough(28) to be worth it. I won't reveal his name unless you really ask, but the guy could bring that touch of class our midfield is missing and has the quality to activate Silvas full potential!. Thinking about them in the same midfield is orgasmic.
    Sneijder? or are you referring to Iniesta
    although, now that I think of it... actually never mind, I doubt Mariner rates either of them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    Sneijder? or are you referring to Iniesta
    although, now that I think of it... actually never mind, I doubt Mariner rates either of them

No! this guy is well within our budget, but could be just as influential as them in a MLS setting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Yeah, maybe. I dunno. The money's nuts, but they're both underrated to me as players because of a) Eckersley being played out of position and b) the team around them. it's hard for defensive players to "lift" the play around them the way offensive players can, but it's quite easy for them to look worse.

Both of them, if playing with competent peers, would be among the league leaders in terms of Castrol score, I'd bet.

But there's simple not a defensive position in this league worth more than about $250K, and you're right, there are much better bargains out there. That's another serious Mariner problem: the only market he has contacts in other than the U.S. is England, the most expensive market outside of Spain in the world.

This might be true of spain, but with their piss poor economy the segunda and even the 3rd division are sure to offer bang for buck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post

Was it always like this or this starting to happen once Winter left?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow..what a joke..o dear is a dime a doz player no way he should be a half mill player.
    THE COCH AND CLOWN at there best...jeezzz
    i guess the clown found his boss man,the almost millon dollar middle defence have given up 8 goals in the last 2 game..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    This team is so fucked it really is mind blowing. I've been checking in every few weeks since spring to see if they're making any headway but at this rate I might as well forget TFC till 2017.