View Poll Results: Are you proud of the crest?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 64.00%
  • No

18 36.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Are you proud of the crest?

If yes, what do you find pride in?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Senior Director of Business Operations, Toronto FC
    Paul joined Toronto FC from parent company, Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment, with 17 years of experience in the sports and entertainment industry. He has a passion for sports and is recognized as a leader in the entertainment industry in ticketing, customer service, and the use of technology.
    Paul began his career in live theatre working with industry leaders such as Live Entertainment and Mirvish Productions. He held a variety of positions in the ticketing, merchandising and group sales areas before participating in the start-up of Encore Tickets. Paul managed the ticketing for the World Championship of Basketball in 1994 prior to joining the NBA expansion Toronto Raptors.
    With Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment, Paul has held a variety of progressively challenging management positions for the NHL Toronto Maple Leafs and the NBA Toronto Raptors.
    Paul is a big believer in grassroots marketing and over the last five years he has taken it to a new level with Toronto FC. As a result of many initiatives in the build up to Toronto FC’s record breaking launch in 2007, Paul was honoured by Major League Soccer, winning the prestigious “Doug Hamilton Executive of the Year” award at the conclusion of the team’s opening season. In the seasons following the launch Toronto FC has been singled out in a number of publications; something for which Paul is immensely proud:
    Sports Business Journal nomination - 2008 Team of the Year
    Marketing Magazine – Toronto FC - Top 10 Marketers in Canada
    Strategy Magazine – Toronto FC 2009 Brand of the Year
    As professional soccer continues to grow in popularity Toronto FC has ensured that the world of club football is presented in a quality way at BMO Field to Toronto fans. Paul has booked, promoted and sold out International Friendly Matches against Aston Villa, Bolton Wanderers, Benfica, Indepentiente, River Plate and Pachuca . The pinnacle for TFC fans was in August 2009, when TFC hosted Real Madrid in Canada’s highest grossing soccer game.
    Under Paul’s stewardship Toronto FC has invested in a number of initiatives aimed at improving the landscape for professional soccer: the installation of a world-class heated grass pitch at BMO Field, the addition of 1700 seats to BMO Field, and most importantly, the creation of Toronto FC Academy.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am proud that it is my team. I am proud of the city of Toronto and the fans and support here. Am I happy with the way things are right now? No, but I can't say I am not proud of the crest. I still wear my TFC colours around town with some pride.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by craz11 View Post
    If yes, what do you find pride in?
    Are you an MLSE mole?

There have been some rumours of a new badge for next season, and now this thread pops up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am proud of the badge. Why? Because it kicks ass. It is a great design.

The players who wear it and the people who run the show? Not so much.

But it is my badge and I still wear it around town with pride.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post
    Are you an MLSE mole?
    I haven't seen him at the meetings.

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post
    There have been some rumours of a new badge for next season, and now this thread pops up.
    I thought the team had debunked the rumour of this new badge becoming the primary one back in August - http://www.wakingthered.com/2012/8/2...ister-new-logo

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    I haven't seen him at the meetings.

I thought the team had debunked the rumour of this new badge becoming the primary one back in August - http://www.wakingthered.com/2012/8/2...ister-new-logo
    LOL

Seriously though, I don't trust anything this club says.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    I am proud that it is my team. I am proud of the city of Toronto and the fans and support here. Am I happy with the way things are right now? No, but I can't say I am not proud of the crest. I still wear my TFC colours around town with some pride.
    This.

Plus my TFC hoodie is sooooo comfy.

Dom

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^In defense of nfitz ... let's not run this guy off. I really don't care who he actually is (ie whether he is someone from MLSE, or knows someone from MLSE). So what if he is? He still has to win the battle of ideas, same as the rest of us. He's not good at doing the attendance estimates imho, but I occasionally agree with him, in fact he has said some very smart things. If he's a troll, he's damn good at it. He livens up the place up, god knows we all need a laugh.

Live and let live.

(not directed at narduch, I know he gets this)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^In defense of nfitz ... let's not run this guy off. I really don't care who he actually is (ie whether he is someone from MLSE, or knows someone from MLSE). So what if he is? He still has to win the battle of ideas, same as the rest of us. He's not good at doing the attendance estimates imho, but I occasionally agree with him, in fact he has said some very smart things. If he's a troll, he's damn good at it. He livens up the place up, god knows we all need a laugh.

Live and let live.

(not directed at narduch, I know he gets this)
    People always have the option to block; I exercise it judiciously.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    People always have the option to block; I exercise it judiciously.
    I only used it once - mightytfc2008 (or whatever his name was, longtimers know who I mean). That guy ruined things around here, for me.

If you are halfway articulate, I won't ignore you, no matter how out there you are.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Proud of the badge? Not sure I understand the question. Proud of the design? Proud of the club it represents? Proud of the city?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, I find our crest to be ugly. I prefer TFC academy crest over current crest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    No, I find our crest to be ugly. I prefer TFC academy crest over current crest.
    I find the design rather boring, which is why I don't like it too much. I think that plus the fact the crest has been associated with a shit team for 6 seasons and counting makes me think a re-design/re-branding is in order.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

don't ever see the cubbies rebranding do you?
    i have a pride in this badge that is truly unexplainable. it's about the only thing that MLSE has done right in my eyes. correction, only thing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find pride in the following:

accomplishment
    humility (oxymoron/hypocritical,... I know.)
    leadership
    respect of others
    respecting others
    loyalty
    determination
    perseverance
    social responsibility

Since the badge represents TFC and it's actions, I find little in common with the "badge" and most of these qualities.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yeoman View Post
    don't ever see the cubbies rebranding do you?
    it's ridiculous to equate a timeless cubs logo over a hundred years old to TFCs crest, just because of losing.

the crest was always too monochromatic, slightly cluttered and confused. already looks dated. if it's re-branded a la the new academy one i'd consider that a worthwhile upgrade.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we should never change the badge,....it's basic and strong , something to live up to, lol.....a new badge just weakens our fragile history even more......we NEED a grounding. oh ya and new FO......nooooo thread hijack....so sorry
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't even understand the question. Proud of a logo?

I want our players to take pride in what the crest on their shirt represents - our city, our fans - by playing hard, training hard, respecting the people in the stands, and doing everything they can to bring victory. The crest is just a logo, drawn up less than a decade ago by some guy in front of a computer. It is given any context of emotional pride and meaning by the deeds comitted in it's name. With the exception of a couple of iconic moments, there has been little pride instilled in that crest by the team, or it's Pez dispenser of players.

Which isn't to say I dislike the crest - I think it's a simple, elegant design, and I like the colours. But they've certainly done nothing to instill any inherent sense of pride in it so far.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What it represents, but certainly not MLSE!

To me this team belongs to the city of Toronto and its people/fans not any two-bit corporate entity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nonc View Post
    it's ridiculous to equate a timeless cubs logo over a hundred years old to TFCs crest, just because of losing.

the crest was always too monochromatic, slightly cluttered and confused. already looks dated. if it's re-branded a la the new academy one i'd consider that a worthwhile upgrade.
    I agree with you here.

The company doing the crests for MLS when TFC joined the league wasn't exactly hitting home runs. It's not the three construction workers that were on the Crew badge but it isn't a masterpiece either.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

at times yes. unforturnately its now covered in years of shit.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like the crest, i try to enjoy watching the team behind it, but as of now it's been associated with medocrity. we have teams posting in their own forums saying things like "we have to get a win against TFC, a tie would be unacceptable!".

how can you be proud of a symbol that the rest of the league views as a guarenteed 3 points?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have just one comment:

If ML$E tries to shove a new crest down out throats to make us buy new stuff, they have another thing coming.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I have just one comment:

If ML$E tries to shove a new crest down out throats to make us buy new stuff, they have another thing coming.
    They did it with the Raptor's in the past, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Mind you I hated the original Raptor branding.

What if they re-branded as the Blizzard?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does a new crest come with a new front office, new ownership, new management and new players? Then maybe we'll talk.

Proud of the crest? Maybe that's something best directed to the people running this show, they have ownership of said crest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Proud of the crest? No. I am a football fan and have not seen very much of it in half a decade. This crest represents that to me. A new crest would not heal those wounds, a new franchise with owners might. A simple re-branding with no other changes will be taken as an insult by many fans.

To argue both sides, when we do win it is fun to wave the crest in the other teams faces, but only because it is an extreme embarrassment to them.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MG42 View Post
    The pinnacle for TFC fans was in August 2009, when TFC hosted Real Madrid in Canada’s highest grossing soccer game.
    This pretty much sums things up at TFC. The "pinnacle" for TFC fans was hosting a friendly which made the most money. For TFC fans. I guess that it's cool that our team played in the highest grossing soccer game in Canada, but fuck me, we can't buy a win with all that money.

Whoever wrote that bio really has no connection to support. Paul...hopefully you read this and change that. It's insulting.
    Last edited by Jack; 10-04-2012 at 09:44 AM.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    This pretty much sums things up at TFC. The "pinnacle" for TFC fans was hosting a friendly which made the most money. For TFC fans. I guess that it's cool that our team playing in the highest grossing soccer game in Canada, but fuck me, we can't buy a win with all that money.

Whoever wrote that bio really has no connection to support. Paul...hopefully you read this and change that. It's insulting.
    Wow, never read his bio before. That really is insulting to TFC fans, but fully explains what is of value to MLSE.

I like the part about how he is proud to have expanded BMO Field by 1700 seats, seats that became almost immediately redundant the day they were put in. The team has had about 1 sell out since the north end was expanded.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I won't take pride in the badge until the players and management do. ML$E has shat all over the crest since day one.