Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Former TFC player scores first goal in Serie A

Stefanovic rifled the ball home from distance three minutes later, following good work from Alessio Cerci, and Torino made it 4-1 in the 73rd minute.

Congrats to Alen (not good enough for TFC?)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you could easily see that Alen had a lot of potential, even if he didn't have much of an impact during his loan spell. congrats to him. ahh the days we'd get players on loan, never gonna happen again.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, I always thought he had a lot more potential than we were seeing at BMO (and not necessarily his fault either).

good for him.

now make a phone call for Andrea Lombardo while you're there!
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another player brought in to improve the squad but ended up being tainted by it. I'm confident he has more to work with and thereby contribute in Torino. Good luck to him.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vince93 View Post
    Stefanovic rifled the ball home from distance three minutes later, following good work from Alessio Cerci, and Torino made it 4-1 in the 73rd minute.

Congrats to Alen (not good enough for TFC?)
    Sure he had talent...but he didn't have the work ethic or temprament to play with players who were a little less skilled than he was used to...he'd sulk if he didn't get a pass or one of his passes was intercepted...He just didn't fit....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maninb View Post
    Sure he had talent...but he didn't have the work ethic or temprament to play with players who were a little less skilled than he was used to...he'd sulk if he didn't get a pass or one of his passes was intercepted...He just didn't fit....
    Yes, our level of suck is both unpleasant and contagious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stevanovic reminded me of playing little league hockey. There were a number of kids who also played in AAA who thought they were so good that they didn't need their teammates to tear the league apart (for the record some were good teammates as well). Some of them really were good enough to dance through and score shitloads of goals, but many of them ended up with fewer points than myself and their lines became useless because they never passed the puck, but they'd always get stoned by the other team's defense. If you were to tell them that they should pass the puck they would ask you "why, it's not like they'll do anything with it that I can't do" - That's exactly the attitude that Stevanovic came across as having when he played here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maninb View Post
    "He just didn't fit". That is hilarious, and it is a typical Toronto fan response to the years of mediocrity we have been dealt with here. Good players don't like playing with crap players, so the good player doesnt fit....ever thought that the other players, you know, the crap ones, were the problem and remain the problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I have not followed Stevanovic in Italy closely, but from what I have seen and heard Stevanovic has also been a problem in Italy. The Italian game is a tactical team game, build on people fitting their roles, as he seems to have been failing at that, hence being sent out to Toronto.

As for Torino's talent being somewhat lower then TFC, the difference is not so big in the individual talent as much as in the way the team plays as a team, its organization. TFC is years behind from a solid top Serie B lower Serie A side then TFC. Which would make it frustrating from a player from there to play here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alen was too good for TFC, at least that's the way he carried himself. The only reason he didn't do well here is because he's an asshole.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is totally Maicon Santos's fault
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Alen was too good for TFC, at least that's the way he carried himself. The only reason he didn't do well here is because he's an asshole.
    Completely agree. It's way too easy to say that it's just another example of players being misused, but sometimes you have to look at the case on it's own. Dribbling the ball up to your teammate because they have space and then finally laying it off to them because you've run out of space and at the same time taken away their space is not a sign of being a good player on a bad team, it's a sign of a player thinking they're the best player on the pitch and not needing anyone else

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    this is totally Maicon Santos's fault
    HAHAHAHAHAHA you may have a point

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very average player, whose game is being elevated by playing with better players around him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The wimpiest TFC player I can remember. Dive, dive, dive. Back to Italy with you.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post

HAHAHAHAHAHA you may have a point
    I remember that miss.

I remember shouting for Santos to PASS THE FUCKING BALL !!!!!

The fix must have been in on that game. There's no way that a player does both of a). not pass the ball to the wide open teammate and b). hopelessly miss a wide open goal, unless said player is on the take and wide open player isn't.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    Very average player, whose game is being elevated by playing with better players around him.
    I agree, he did not impress me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

apparently manchester united were interested in signing him this past off-season

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...er-United.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^I follow United and the rumors pretty closely, Daily Mail is unreliable, and I never heard anyone in the somewhat more reliable channels mention this.

We did sign Bebe though, so even if it was true - it means little

Also, watched does not mean interested in signing. I would not be suprised if they watched him - clubs watch tons of players.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    I remember that miss.

I remember shouting for Santos to PASS THE FUCKING BALL !!!!!

The fix must have been in on that game. There's no way that a player does both of a). not pass the ball to the wide open teammate and b). hopelessly miss a wide open goal, unless said player is on the take and wide open player isn't.
    Who was he supposed to pass the ball to? Mats Sundin was arguably the Leafs best all round player, ever but had to endure a decade playing with bums on the wing who belonged in the American League. Passing was his game, and his critics always contend he was no good because of his lack of scoring...if he played with men and not bums his totals could have rivalled the best in the game......It seems whenver a good player comes and leaves the TFC snakepit it is always his fault, and then surprise, surprise they do better elsewhere......in any sport the common denominator is usually the worst player on the team, so what do you do with a player with the potential this guy had? Besides, none of you guys will ever know what he was told to do by the manager.....I liked him and hope like so many others does well away from this sorry mess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Who was he supposed to pass the ball to?
    In a lot of cases, team mate that was wide open and an easy pass. Instead he'd run with it an cough it up.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ uh, yeah.. the wide open player just off to his left. The one with the tap in. The one there's no way he could not have noticed.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

um, a person missing their left eye with no peripheral vision in their right and had never played soccer before could have seen that pass. I'm sorry but there's no way you can excuse something like that based on their teammates not being good enough.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    um, a person missing their left eye with no peripheral vision in their right and had never played soccer before could have seen that pass. I'm sorry but there's no way you can excuse something like that based on their teammates not being good enough.
    He was what, 20 years old when he played here? Everywhere in world soccer young gifted players play this way, appearing to be hogging the ball. I remember Henry playing this way when he started now he is among the best distributers of the ball MLS has ever seen. Not saying Stevanovic is Henry, but when do you give young talented players a chance? Seems that MLSE is totally fucked up....older players are too selfish or don't score enough, so get rid of them...young players who don't score enough....get rid of them too....who the fuck do you keep? Last time I checked none of this has gone very well for Toronto, probably the single worst team in MLS history.....players such as Stevanovic should be given a chance to develop, he was miles ahead in terms of ability than any of the academy players we have now.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    He was what, 20 years old when he played here? Everywhere in world soccer young gifted players play this way, appearing to be hogging the ball. I remember Henry playing this way when he started now he is among the best distributers of the ball MLS has ever seen. Not saying Stevanovic is Henry, but when do you give young talented players a chance? Seems that MLSE is totally fucked up....older players are too selfish or don't score enough, so get rid of them...young players who don't score enough....get rid of them too....who the fuck do you keep? Last time I checked none of this has gone very well for Toronto, probably the single worst team in MLS history.....players such as Stevanovic should be given a chance to develop, he was miles ahead in terms of ability than any of the academy players we have now.
    Stevanovic was only on loan to TFC. I didn't think it was even a full year loan?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Oh. I get it now. You were talking about Stevanovic the whole time. We thought you were talking about Santos... because that's who we were complaining about... nvm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We’re way too traumatized by that one play. Yeah Santos screwed that up, but dear god, I think we forget what league we are in sometimes. The players kicking around MLS are not perfect and that kind of stuff happens on occasion. Wish we never traded him, he could have been a decent backup option at striker.

I saw some of Stefanovic’s play recently and he looks way more potent than he ever did for us. If I was going to take a stab at it: he never settled in but I think the poor officiating in MLS is in-part responsible for muting good attacking play out wide. Defenders are given way too much slack. If you watch an MLS game and then compare it to the EPL or even CCC, you’d be shocked. They are very heavy on the whistle by comparison and this is in a place where diving might as well be akin to sacrilege. Every week in MLS, the wide players are hacked, grabbed, obstructed and most of it goes uncalled. Obstruction especially… I think it’s almost a foreign concept to the North American official.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    We’re way too traumatized by that one play. Yeah Santos screwed that up, but dear god, I think we forget what league we are in sometimes. The players kicking around MLS are not perfect and that kind of stuff happens on occasion. Wish we never traded him, he could have been a decent backup option at striker.
    Santos would have been decent in Mariner's 4-4-2. It's just he sucks in a 4-3-3. Haven't scored since late May for DC, so not a big loss.

I saw some of Stefanovic’s play recently and he looks way more potent than he ever did for us. If I was going to take a stab at it: he never settled in but I think the poor officiating in MLS is in-part responsible for muting good attacking play out wide. Defenders are given way too much slack. If you watch an MLS game and then compare it to the EPL or even CCC, you’d be shocked. They are very heavy on the whistle by comparison and this is in a place where diving might as well be akin to sacrilege. Every week in MLS, the wide players are hacked, grabbed, obstructed and most of it goes uncalled. Obstruction especially… I think it’s almost a foreign concept to the North American official.
    Great players adapt to their situation. Stevanovic got frustrated too easily, couldn't adapt to the league and gave up. Laurent Robert number 2

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Santos would have been decent in Mariner's 4-4-2. It's just he sucks in a 4-3-3. Haven't scored since late May for DC, so not a big loss.
    Great players adapt to their situation. Stevanovic got frustrated too easily, couldn't adapt to the league and gave up. Laurent Robert number 2
    He sucked in the 4-3-3 as an attacking midfielder, but I think he was ok up top. He played well off De Rosario before we broke up that partnership.

I agree, players should adapt. But at the same time I think the officiating is ridiculous.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    He sucked in the 4-3-3 as an attacking midfielder, but I think he was ok up top. He played well off De Rosario before we broke up that partnership.

I agree, players should adapt. But at the same time I think the officiating is ridiculous.
    He was horrid as lone striker in 4-3-3. He can't hold up the ball for shit

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Avila was way more suited for our possession system than Santos was. If we're going to talk about strikers we should have kept- Alan Gordon. He was way more suited to our team than Santos or Johnson