0 Thread(s)

5 bucks says he tells you to apply for a job with MLSE,

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Belfast_Boy View Post
    I'm not going there to talk about prices, supporters sections, chip buttys, beer prices or anything else that's not related to football. Imo there are bigger problems right now. Talking about that crap is like the band playing while The Titanic went down.
    Glad you're going and I agree with your approach.

A proper experienced president is the biggest need... avoids most of the issues that we have experienced. People here have given some good questions that are football related, most of them are very good, I would only ask would he consider looking at AEG as a possible source for someone experienced in running the footall operation? They are an entity very much like ML$E in character with their fingers in all kinds of pies, yet manage to have winning teams... go figure.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MFG1 View Post
    5 bucks says he tells you to apply for a job with MLSE,
    now that would be funny.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

now that would be funny.
    Maybe he'll offer you the President role.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Maybe he'll offer you the President role.
    yeah no, we want someone that knows what they are doing. if you need large sums of money invested or moved I'm your guy. Prez nope.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are a lot of great points being made here. Lets hope this meeting is a complete success.

But: don't forget! We still need to prepare for Saturday. If you are one of those that has said you are going to bring a banner to this game, do it. Get on it today!

I have faith in Mark, but I have little faith in Tom or MLSE. We still need to bring it. A march from Joe's, banners, flags and mad support for our team. Afterwards, the march to the Gate 4 rally to make our statement.

4 days to prepare.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wull View Post
    Ask him why he's rewarded mediocrity. Contract issues have been abundant in Earl's time there and his handling of the DeRo and Plata issues was laughable regardless of who was ultimately at fault, Paul did either nothing at all or very badly at being head of player development under Aron depending on what's to be believed yet was rewarded witha raise and 3 year extension.

Ask why he and Klinsmann set forth the 4-3-3 only to allow it to be washed away under Paul instead of bringing in an MLS coach capable of working within that vision.

Ask him if he thinks these are the right guys then why, allegedly, is there a one season ultimatum over their heads. Regardless of who fills the roles that's forcing them to think short-term instead of long term and can only hurt us going forward.

Ask him why he ultimately thinks the fans are either leaving or have gone quiet. If he says the lack of winning please correct him in this thinking on that matter. I just don't think they ultimately get why we've ran out of patience. If they did, they wouldn't have allegedly told them playoffs or gone
    this. mark, i was going to reply with some of my thoughts, then found Wull had already said everything i would have.

well said Wull.

mostly right now, I can barely think about TFC given the massive CMNT game tomo. good job to those who can maintain focus here.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

meeting Tom either Thursday or Friday this week.
    I'm going to push a dedicated director of football. any input?
    telling him to do the impossible isn't an option. constructive valid points please.
    You could mention to him that a recent survey of Plymouth Argyle supporters revealed that PM was not highly recommended as a manager.

Then ask what potential they saw, or (if any) what investigation or reference checking did they do before hiring him ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah no, we want someone that knows what they are doing. if you need large sums of money invested or moved I'm your guy. Prez nope.
    tell him should take two days off at the end of the season.......and then quit!.......If he takes you serious....and thinks of the future of the club...he will!

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

telling him to do the impossible isn't an option. constructive valid points please.
    There's no other way to say it but as we are always pointing out, the common denominator with TFC's mixed forutunes has always been Tom Anselmi. Players have come and gone. Managers have come and gone. Coaches have come and gone. It's pretty clear to me that we need a dedicated Toronto FC Club President who has the authority to build the team he wants and the experience and know-how to compete in this league.

And even though you want to keep the conversation focused on the quality of football, I really feel tickets prices still need to be addressed. The bottom line is that TFC fans and supporters are paying some of the highest prices in the league for tickets and pretty much everything else that comes with the gameday experience (food, drinks, and other costs). If Montreal can cut its prices to bring in more fans, TFC can as well to entice people back and give the current SSH a solid reason to renew.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fixing this mess. So we can get back to enjoying football. So we can stop wearing paper bags and bring the fans back.
    Nah man I ment is it like a 1v1 meeting? Just curious

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just thought of another thing this morning. Tom seems to think that TFC's problems are only "cyclical," that it's a matter of chance and eventually TFC will win and the fans will come back without Tom needing to do anything. I'd counter that TFC has done amazingly poorly to be outside of the playoffs for so many years in a parity league, and that has to come down to lack of football background in the higher-level decision-making and not just "luck." Hence the need for someone knowledgeable in charge will full confidence and power. Not just a consultant who is unaccountable for results.

As far as the cyclical nature of sports, yes sports are "cyclical" to some degree, but the Boston Red Sox had an 86-year dry period. Or to take a hockey drought, the Winnipeg Jets have never won a post-season match (12 years and running since their franchise entered the NHL). Droughts can go on and on, and on. There is no guarantee they will end just due to dumb "luck." You need good leadership.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 10-16-2012 at 07:16 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brooker it's a one on one.
    Last edited by Belfast_Boy; 10-16-2012 at 07:40 AM.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    There's no other way to say it but as we are always pointing out, the common denominator with TFC's mixed forutunes has always been Tom Anselmi. Players have come and gone. Managers have come and gone. Coaches have come and gone. It's pretty clear to me that we need a dedicated Toronto FC Club President who has the authority to build the team he wants and the experience and know-how to compete in this league.

And even though you want to keep the conversation focused on the quality of football, I really feel tickets prices still need to be addressed. The bottom line is that TFC fans and supporters are paying some of the highest prices in the league for tickets and pretty much everything else that comes with the gameday experience (food, drinks, and other costs). If Montreal can cut its prices to bring in more fans, TFC can as well to entice people back and give the current SSH a solid reason to renew.
    If I were a betting man, I would gamble that prices will be addressed this week.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think price has already been covered.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As Chris said last.night lets stay on target. Yes our action have started to be noticed and opened the door for discussion.
    But also have to stay focused on our action on Saturday .
    Keep painting and getting your bags together.
    Lets make Montreal remember they are in Toronto.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As Chris said last.night lets stay on target. Yes our action have started to be noticed and opened the door for discussion.
    But also have to stay focused on our action on Saturday .
    Keep painting and getting your bags together.
    Lets make Montreal remember they are in Toronto.
    I've kept away from this point, M. but how will bags do anything but fuel our biggest rivals? The bags are there to be pitied, not applauded. The banners show your strength in voice and message. The bags are simply objects of ridicule. It's your thing and I get the message you're sending but thinking you'll get anything but extra jeers instead of respect from Montreal is folly.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The bags aren't for the Montreal visitors.

They are a message to the team owner and the media in this city.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just do a big LOL spray painted on a garbage bag.

Works on so many levels.

hahahahaha
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I've kept away from this point, M. but how will bags do anything but fuel our biggest rivals? The bags are there to be pitied, not applauded. The banners show your strength in voice and message. The bags are simply objects of ridicule. It's your thing and I get the message you're sending but thinking you'll get anything but extra jeers instead of respect from Montreal is folly.
    I know you don't get it Pete, same as I don't get yours point of view. we've been put into a crappy situation and backing down from our message... or whatever it's going to be called now would be greater folly.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big shout out To Belfast_Boy

Way to go man

GlenM
    "You play to win the game"

Herm Edwards - Former NFL Coach

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know you don't get it Pete, same as I don't get yours point of view. we've been put into a crappy situation and backing down from our message... or whatever it's going to be called now would be greater folly.
    I'm not asking you to back down at all. I was just cementing the difference between this message and showing Montreal anything. It will be difficult to do both and be effective. I'm not here to hinder.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I'm not asking you to back down at all. I was just cementing the difference between this message and showing Montreal anything. It will be difficult to do both and be effective. I'm not here to hinder.
    no worries Pete, sorry if my response was snippy. I'm having a crappy day. walking around like a bear with a sore arse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is fantastic. Sticking to the football questions lends credibility as opposed to being just another "whiny income source". Many of the questions have already been posted here. Write them down, let him know you're taking notes so you don't misconstrue his responses. Hell, give him a copy and ask him to go through them one by one!

The real challenge (IMO) is to avoid him telling you "I just hire/appoint these guys, all the questions you have should be asked of them."
    Let's not forget you're dealing with an expert at spinning things and passing the buck.

Oh, I'd also recommend a tape recorder. I'm sure he won't mind being "on the record" about things. LOL.

And tell him my financial support of this club just became cyclical, and we're at the bottom of said cycle. (sorry, couldn't resist)

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

is it too late for one of you whiz kids to do up a banner idea ?

Something like this ?

a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tell him the communication between the team and it's fans about people's roles within the team and expectations is not clear, and that's a huge issue.

Right now we have Paul Mariner in charge... we don't know what the club expects of him, we don't know if he's intern or full-time, we don't know what he did for Aron Winter, and we don't know how long his fucking contract is! You could say the same thing about Earl Cochrane. It is pretty clear the club hides these things from fans so they can change the narrative when it suits their purposes. Nobody is fooled anymore, and it's just frustrating to be kept in the dark. It makes it look like they are utterly incompetent and have to change the script every five minutes. Grow a pair of balls and tell your fan base what is happening. If you extend a coaches contract: disclose it when it happens. If you expect next year to be a re-build:state it clearly up-front.

And one more thing: quit making ONLY the coach responsible for results. Other people need to be held accountable as well and you should actually fire them when they aren't wanted rather than pigeon-hole them in the corner like Dasovic and DeClerk have been.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cmonyoureds View Post
    This is fantastic. Sticking to the football questions lends credibility as opposed to being just another "whiny income source". Many of the questions have already been posted here. Write them down, let him know you're taking notes so you don't misconstrue his responses. Hell, give him a copy and ask him to go through them one by one!

The real challenge (IMO) is to avoid him telling you "I just hire/appoint these guys, all the questions you have should be asked of them."
    Let's not forget you're dealing with an expert at spinning things and passing the buck.

Oh, I'd also recommend a tape recorder. I'm sure he won't mind being "on the record" about things. LOL.

And tell him my financial support of this club just became cyclical, and we're at the bottom of said cycle. (sorry, couldn't resist)
    @Belfast_Boy ;

you could ask it this way :

What do you think has a greater impact on Season Ticket renewals ? The dysfunctional Front Office, or the cost of the ticket ?
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be very curious why they have focused on managers with little to no experience running a team vs finding someone who is an experienced manager. Ideally one with North American experience.

He will probably try and spin Mariner as the answer to that, but Mariner never ran NE.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    I'd be very curious why they have focused on managers with little to no experience running a team vs finding someone who is an experienced manager. Ideally one with North American experience.

He will probably try and spin Mariner as the answer to that, but Mariner never ran NE.
    Brad that's my biggest question and personal favourite.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curious what is the reasoning for this meeting? I mean is this a request from you on behalf of the Red Patch Boys to meet with Anselmi? To make the Red Patch Boys concerns formally known?