View Poll Results: Predict Paul's future.

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fired before first game

40 33.90%
  • Games 1 - 9

49 41.53%
  • Games 11-- 18

18 15.25%
  • Games 19 - 26

4 3.39%
  • Games 27 - 34

1 0.85%
  • Fired after last game.

6 5.08%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How many games will Mariner have?

pretty simple. how many games before Paul packs up his shorts and heads to Bermuda?

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would seriously doubt that if he starts 0-5 he would make it past that. This team learned that 0-9 was too deep to get out of. Given the Rongden suggestions it might be sooner rather than later.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he'll need a little rope to hang himself. I say 7 games and he'll be history!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although there he has a lot of stubborn in him, I could see Mariner's ego getting bruised from this and him stepping down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Although there he has a lot of stubborn in him, I could see Mariner's ego getting bruised from this and him stepping down.
    He's far too good at what he does to step down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No more then 10. But clearly if he starts 0-3, 0-4, 0-5, he will be let go earlier.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It will be based on results. But I have faith that he won't get many good results with the decisions he makes to not fill his bench with available players and play favourites for sometimes no apparent reason, not make the subs he should make at the time he should make them, and to play players out of position among other things. I am going to go for 11-18 as a guess but a nose dive at the beginning of the season could change all of that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mariner will find a "better opportunity" somewhere else. That's how MLSE can get away with saying he is fired before the season starts.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm very upset. I think he will be given 10 games time. CENSORSHIP I tell ya!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope him and his shorts dont see a single game. But Im sure he will be coach for the 0-4 start we will most likely have.

But he could also be let go during preseason if Payne see's that he's as incompetent as he is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know, I could see it gonig one of two ways:

1) He completely flames out within the first 10 games and gets shown the door

2) He bumbles through the season in an unimpressive but not totally inept fashion and gets fired at the end.

Depends on the offseason signings. If there's no strong reinforcements, we'll be toast early.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Payne has to recognise that PM needs to go.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Things can change, but I have it on good authority that firing Mariner before the start of the season is not an option currently on the table. I personally think that if we go no wins in the first 5 games, PM will have a problem.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Although I voted within the first 9 games of the season, I think it could just as easily be that Mariner's shorts don't see the BMO sidelines at all thsi season. He's got an ego, and now he doesn't have Anselmi to be his patsy anymore. If he and Payne have any serious differences before the beginning of the season, he's gone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aside from being on a very short leash, Mariner now also has the unenviable distinction of being a lame duck coach, which won't exactly inspire confidence or respect from the players.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 11-28-2012 at 03:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Aside fom being on a very short leash, Mariner now also has the unenviable distinction of being a lame duck coach, which won't exactly inspire confidence or respect from the players.

That's why Anselmi needs to get out of the way and let Payne make all the decisions regarding players and personnel.

If Payne can legitimately stand behind Mariner on his own accord for a season then so be it. But to make him do it, would almost certainly flush next season down the toilet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that MLS will stack the schedule in TFCs favour by having them face weaker teams at the start of the season (Montreal, Chivas, New England, etc) to give Mariner the best chance possible, so I don't see them losing the first 5 games. However, I think that by end of June Payne will have had enough time to see where the team is headed and if Mariner is to be sacked, it will happen about 2-3 weeks before the summer transfer window so Panye can bring in some new talent and give a new coach time to gel with the new system before the second half of the season starts.

If Mariner somehow does the improbable and gets the team to play .400 ball or better, then I expect he'll be staying until the end of the season at least.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't care. If it's a mid sesason or closer to the start of the season change I just want the replacement to succeed so I don't have to hear another fucking "need a full season" excuse.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the Mariner bashing has to end now. It'll be what it'll be.

btw Payne puts his pants on one leg at a time. He has stumbled picking managers (he loved Soehn for years, and Onalfo was a total bust).
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO it could easily go one of three ways.
    1) Mariner is completely unwilling to adapt and submit to authority, and gets canned before Christmas.
    2) Mariner will do anything to keep his job. If this means shutting up and doing what he's told, he'll pretend to like it. He'll make it through the season with a less than horrible, but also less than expected record, and get respectfully let go at the end of the season, with a thank-you message from the club.
    3) Mariner tries to comply to keep his job, but is just too incompetent. After a decent but not fantastic preseason, the team putters into the regular season in the same bad form that they ended the last one. After five or so bad results, highlighted by confusing personnel choices, lack of enthusiasm by the players, and lack of control, Mariner gets the boot and Rongen takes over.

All are likely, but if I had to pick one of the scenarios, I would go with the one where he gets canned after the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If TFC start first 10 games bad, then Mariner is gone (like Winter....isn't karma a bitch?! lol)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had this discussion with my father the other day, my view was that if our first game away in montreal with all the travelling support ends with a loss, Paul Mariners time will quickly be ticking away. He'll be out with a 0-3 beginning no doubt in my mind. (negativity.)
    The first game of the season (away) will set the deadline for him being fired. Wouldn't we all just hate if some how he does well? Starts the first half of the season with us in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in the east?

But I think he'll be out by the summer transfer window, or the first few months if he loses the first game of the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I think the Mariner bashing has to end now.
    You'll have to swing over to my place and silence me.

SINK THE MARINER!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He could technically fire him now, are we not on a 14-15 game winless streak?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I had my way, zero. But my guess is Payne will give him a chance to dig his own grave first.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this could either swing one way or the other if he starts off losing.

option the first - the FO learns from their mistakes and cans him. calls it a rebuild, rinse and repeat.
    option the second - the FO doesn't, he sticks around and they try and hold off hitting the reset button for as long as possible.

again, this requires him losing. what the fuck ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when Payne was asked about his coaching staff for next season he certainly did not ringingly support them.

He said (words to the effect), "I can tell you where one bathroom is - haven't been here more than 5 hours - a little challenging to answer those questions - but i can tell you PM is the coach of TFC - I need a lot more time to spend more time with folks and understand them but we'll take that time."

this to me is a hedge until he takes a few weeks to digest. he in no way said PM is his man for 2013...

maybe i'm just optimistic....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR ! View Post
    These are my hopes.
    Toronto 'til I die - but I think they're trying to kill me.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR ! View Post
    It wont take long for Payne to realize that.

As soon he finds out that Mariner is scouting Bermuda,Scandinavia and Cyprus,he will give Mariner and leash will get really,really short after that.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But Mariner has been using Messi's agent! This surely means that PM is the man for the job! Amirite?