Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Paul Mariner Appreciation thread...

Ready the crickets.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[mod note] The rules: Appreciation threads are just that. Please either post something positive or don't post anything. Hate is for another thread. [/mod note]
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was the wrong guy at the wrong time in the wrong place with the wrong group of players at the wrong time in the wrong place. But hopefully he finds his way somewhere out there in the big world of football.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was a passionate man, and I'll be damned if I didn't enjoy his sideline theatrics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He put his whole heart into the club. I wish him well for the future.

Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He didn't take the job to lose games ... but sometimes despite your best efforts things just don't work out.
    What with team injuries and his dad's passing the season was difficult in so many ways.

I wish you better things in the future Paul.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His vocal enthusiasm was a nice, if brief, breath of fresh air after the Iceman calm of his predecessor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paul's been fired from his job three months after his father passed away. It must be a difficult time for him and I wish him all the best.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He had passion and was in a difficult situation. He deserves respect for his huge career in football. In case you don't know it, this was his big moment as a player

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...pain-1982.html
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was fortunate enough to see the 3-0 thrashing TFC gave the L'Impact at Stade Saputo. That alone was the best moment for me of last year, so thank you, Paul, for coaching the team to that win. Good luck in your future endeavors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I give Mariner credit for taking the stage at the 90th minute and addressing fans after a tough season and difficult personal times. I'm sure he knew he would take flak but he didn't duck out. He managed with heart and a passion that unfortunately has been lacking in many of those who have passed through TFC's ranks. I may not have agreed with his tactics but but appreciate that he gave us his best effort and wanted to be part of the solution. As a former player of some repute the losing must have been very difficult on him as well.

Wish him the best

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Passionate character. He wasn't the best coach in the world, but he certainly wasn't the worst either - although he was often treated that way by many TFC fans. I enjoyed having him around, and would have liked to see him have more time. It's unfortunate, but I can't fault him for taking a career risk, and joining what is probably the worst perennial team in MLS history in order to try and turn the club around.. I wish him the best of luck, and truly hope he finds success somewhere else.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

going to miss his antics. very passionate about the game, but that's not enough to be success in MLS.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He gave everything he had. I enjoyed the passion he brought to the field every game. I enjoyed the sudden rekindling of hope in the middle of a huge run of games.

I loved winning 3 games in a row, against Vancouver, New England and then Colorado...and doing it in 7 days!

For that run of 9 games between June 20 and July 18, playing two games a week and getting four wins and four draws to a single loss. Ye gods...there were players who were smiling on the field!

Thanks for caring, Paul...you're welcome in the seat beside mine anytime.
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He had hair and glasses, thats a plus right?

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

He has a good name for anagrams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    He had passion and was in a difficult situation. He deserves respect for his huge career in football. In case you don't know it, this was his big moment as a player

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...pain-1982.html
    Thanks for that Ensco - I remember seeing Mariner play for Ipswich at Leicester a few times in the 80's and many games for England as a classy but powerful centre forward. He was a great player and after the lack of touchline passion shown by Winter, his animated response to goals for and against showed he cared about Toronto FC. He was like a fan, which I appreciated. Mariner's a bit like the football version of Rob Ford - a bit rough & ready, but speaks honestly and wears his heart on his sleeve. Good luck in the future Paul, thanks for all your efforts at TFC.
    Last edited by Wombat; 01-08-2013 at 06:14 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to admit, I respect mariner, he would put his heart and soul into every game. I don't believe he's the right man moving forward therefore we need a change like Nelsen.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bye Mariner. It was entertaining while you were winning. I hope you can find your niche elsewhere.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good Luck Paul

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

He'll turn up somewhere in the game, whether in MLS, or back in England. Wish the guy all the best going forward. He did bring a certain level of entertainment to the sidelines, and he was good for quips in the pressers too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As someone else mentioned, he didn't take this job to lose games - he just couldn't make it work here. On a side note, I met him at the Kia Training Ground tour with my kids and he was very friendly and made me realize that he wants TFC to win, but he just can't do it. He even let us use the coaches private washroom when my kids had to go!

He has a big heart that was in the right place (no one likes to lose). I didn't agree with many of his decisions - but I wish him well.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was fun while it lasted. What a train wreck of a year.

All the best to the guy.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was probably the best coach we've had since Carver. It's a shame to see him go without giving him a chance to live up to his potential. He was always passionate and involved. He never phoned in a performance.

And like Carver, he's got a future somewhere. Hopefully we won't have him rubbing our nose in it in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish him all the best in the future. Personality aside, he just wasn't able to produce the results required to stay in the seat. Different results, different story. That's life as a manager. He was a newbie at the gig (like every other manager we've had except Preki) so at least he had a chance to learn a few things here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He tried to turn the club around at a very low point for us and that remains a tall order for any manager.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best of luck to him.
    Hopefully things go better at his next gig.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wins the trophy for best ever "up yours" gesture to the fans EVER. That's a compliment right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    He tried to turn the club around at a very low point for us and that remains a tall order for any manager.
    Couldn't have said it any better. A coach is hired to be fired.
    We had a great discussion on October 20/12. TFC always was in your best interest. Thanks.
    All the best Paul . . .

J&M