Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I respect a lot of the opinions there, but it's about the fan culture, not team success. And every time I visit that board, every thread seems to contain at least one backhanded slap at this group. It reeks of an ongoing inferiority complex over the fact that RPB got all the press when the club was founded, even though USector had been around long before. It was baffling, to be honest, because until the last two or three weeks and the protest stories, they're never raised over here. People are usually busy talking about the club or the front office.
    It's childish, but I understand it. It's similar to the infatuation some ex-members of our group have with backhanded insults towards the group any chance they get.

Just be happy doing what you're doing. At the end of the day, this isn't world war, or foreign aid - it's some dudes kicking around a ball.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    It's childish, but I understand it. It's similar to the infatuation some ex-members of our group have with backhanded insults towards the group any chance they get.

Just be happy doing what you're doing. At the end of the day, this isn't world war, or foreign aid - it's much more important than that

- Scott
    Fixed your post

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR ! View Post
    Fixed your post
    Thanks!

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto FC plans to make ‘bold moves’ to improve team: MLS commissioner

Neil Davidson, Canadian Press | Nov 26, 2012 5:54 PM ET | Last Updated: Nov 26, 2012 7:59 PM ET
    More from Canadian Press

Kyle Rivas/Getty ImagesToronto FC averaged 18,155 fans a game this season to rank 10th in the 19-team league. MLSE recently announced it was rolling back prices for existing season ticket-holders to 2007 levels.

TORONTO — The commissioner of Major League Soccer says Toronto FC is looking to make some “bold moves” to improve the product on the field.
    Toronto (5-21-8) missed the playoffs for the sixth straight year since joining the league in 2007. And the struggling club posted franchise worsts for wins (five), losses (21), points (23), goals against (62) and winless string (14).
    Commissioner Don Garber said he has faith in the new ownership structure of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment as well as president Tom Anselmi.
    “I believe that they will be looking to make some bold moves to try to address to try to address their lack of success on the field,” he said Monday during his annual media state of the league conference call.
    Related

“It certainly pains us a bit. We look back at what was such an incredible story in ’07, that clearly was one of the launching pads for the development of what we call MLS 2.0. And to see that not continue to the level it was in the early years is disappointing.”
    Garber did not detail the planned moves but suggested they might be imminent.
    “I’ve been a party to some of the changes that they’re going to make, that they hopefully will be able to announce shortly that we are hopeful will get them back on track.”
    The commissioner said almost the same thing when asked about Toronto during last year’s call.
    We’re proud of our three clubs in Canada and we’re really pleased with the success north of the border
    While he did not mention any bold moves, he said he believed the team was on track under then manager Aron Winter.
    “Well I certainly hope so,” Garber told the media conference call last November. “And I have faith in MLSE [Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment] and believe that they’ll figure this thing out.
    “They’re smart guys, they’re passionate about sport and very very committed to soccer and TFC.”
    MLSE and Winter parted ways 10 games into the 2012 season after the team went 1-9 and opened with nine straight league losses.
    TFC averaged 18,155 fans a game this season to rank 10th in the 19-team league. MLSE recently announced it was rolling back prices for existing season ticket-holders to 2007 levels.
    Chris Young/The Canadian PressToronto FC fans are none too happy with the team.

Average league attendance is 18,807.
    Garber was more positive about Montreal (12-16-8), calling the expansion Impact “an instant success.”
    “This is a very passionate soccer-loving province up there in Quebec,” he said.
    “This has been a great expansion move for us,” he added. “We’re proud of our three clubs in Canada and we’re really pleased with the success north of the border.”
    In 2012, the Vancouver Whitecaps (11-13-10) became the first Canadian team to make the playoffs.
    The Whitecaps averaged 19,475 fans a game, compared to 22,772 for Montreal whose numbers were boosted by spending time at Olympic Stadium before Saputo Stadium was ready.
    Garber also said the league is at “the finish line” in negotiations with New York City to acquire land to build a stadium in Queens that would become home for the league’s 20th team.
    Garber says after that deal is agreed to, there would have to be negotiations with the city and state as part of the approval process to build on the 10-acre site in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park. The parkland used for the stadium would have to be replaced, and a deal would have to be reached with the New York Mets to use their parking lots adjacent to Citi Field.
    Garber says the new team could start play for the 2016 season. He also says the New York market is the only one David Beckham doesn’t have the right to buy into and the New York Red Bulls, who play in Harrison, N.J., don’t have the right to block a second team in the New York area.
    With files from The Associated Press

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/11/26/toronto-fc-plans-to-make-bold-moves-to-improve-team-mls-commissioner/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Nice. So much for not being noticed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that banner certainly got the message accross. MLSE may well have made this change anyway (assuming Pros and connections were bugging the club) but this didn't do any harm whatsoever. Likewise anyone who put a bag over their head or left their seats empty.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

love it. grin is plastered on my face right now!

taken at the bottom of 113.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The commissioner said almost the same thing when asked about Toronto during last year’s call.

Well done to Belfast Boy for all the effort you put into the final two games!!!!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cmonyoureds View Post

Well done to Belfast Boy for all the effort you put into the final two games!!!!!!
    Thanks. A lot of us worked really hard on this.
    I hope Don is right this time.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kudos to mark for organizing a more visible effort but to anyone and everyone who talked to their account reps, wrote letters and noted there were accountability issues (as the first point)

I am an Online Pole
    RPB Twitter and Facebook Bitch (http://www.twitter.com/redpatchboys)
    Pride...Passion...Purpose...and DRANK

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phonzo View Post
    Kudos to mark for organizing a more visible effort but to anyone and everyone who talked to their account reps, wrote letters and noted there were accountability issues (as the first point)
    thanks Bro, see ya at the bar. first round is on Pete.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Belfast_Boy View Post
    thanks Bro, see ya at the bar. first round is on Pete.
    I support this message

I am an Online Pole

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

unless you meant we are literally drinking it off of Pete....then I may think a bit longer...

I am an Online Pole

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great to see the press giving a protest some real props, although I'd have much rather seen an article about the protest itself at the time, instead of using it as essentially a stock photo for fan unrest.

You have every reason to be proud, Belfast!

- Scott

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Protest, What protest ?
    Must have missed that...lol
    Good on you BB

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phonzo View Post
    unless you meant we are literally drinking it off of Pete....then I may think a bit longer...
    Ewwwwwwwwwww

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Great to see the press giving a protest some real props, although I'd have much rather seen an article about the protest itself at the time, instead of using it as essentially a stock photo for fan unrest.

You have every reason to be proud, Belfast!

- Scott
    We did get a little coverage at the time. Couple of mentions in the papers and a radio interview.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Torontotonto View Post
    Protest, What protest ?
    Must have missed that...lol
    Good on you BB
    Thanks Jim. But it wasn't just me. Lots of guys were involved including yourself.
    Lets make sure we all can co-ordinate stuff in the future.
    This invitation goes out to all the rebels.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Belfast_Boy View Post
    Thanks Jim. But it wasn't just me. Lots of guys were involved including yourself.
    Lets make sure we all can co-ordinate stuff in the future.
    This invitation goes out to all the rebels.
    Think today was a good start, after reading the Bara Brava interview about Payne in another thread, he seems to be the right guy to steer the ship, he's a big ally of supporter culture and the game. Now onto step 2, tomorrow's a new beginning.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE who had a hand in this endeavor all deserve a pat on the back for their efforts. They identified a problem, figured out how to solve it, and now here we are now getting exactly what we demanded. The banners, the phone calls to the club, the emails to ticket reps - all of it added up and I don't blame anyone for feeling vindicated by the recent news.

More than anything, it proves that if you have enough people wanting change and the initiative to make some noise, you just might get what you want.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 11-29-2012 at 03:19 AM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE who had a hand in this endeavor all deserve a pat on the back for their efforts. They identified a problem, figured out how to solve it, and now here we are now getting exactly what we demanded. The banners, the phone calls to the club, the emails to ticket reps - all of it added up and I don't blame anyone for feeling vindicated by the recent news.

More than anything, it proves that if you have enough people wanting change and the initiative to make some noise, you just might get what you want.
    The club has often given us what we wanted, whether it was getting Julian de Guzman, real grass, getting DeRo, firing Mo, or whatever. Sometimes it took some time, but they've listened. Sometimes we've regretted what we've asked for, but we've gotten it.

As far as hiring a President, we shouldn't forget the the city's media was all on it long before those of us who protested (and I was one of them) did our thing. John Molinaro (especially), Duane Rollins, several of our local bloggers, Nigel Reid, Bobby Iarusci and others were pushing for this for some time, and started early on (when Winter was fired). So it's a total effort.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 11-29-2012 at 08:45 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    The club has often given us what we wanted, whether it was getting Julian de Guzman, real grass, getting DeRo, firing Mo, or whatever. Sometimes it took some time, but they've listened. Sometimes we've regretted what we've asked for, but we've gotten it.

As far as hiring a President, we shouldn't forget the the city's media was all on it long before those of us who protested (and I was one of them) did our thing. John Molinaro (especially), Duane Rollins, several of our local bloggers, Nigel Reid, Bobby Iarusci and others were pushing for this for some time, and started early on (when Winter was fired). So it's a total effort.
    I look forward to "roof" being added to this statement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post

With respect to the media's roll, we'll have to agree to disagree. Most of them did as little as possible and merely backed Mariner. Of those who did their job (John in particular), they mostly stayed neutral as they're supposed to and when they raised "president" it was in the context of what the fans were asking for. The only person I recall outwardly stating it early on was Craig Forrest.

Everyone else just jumped on the bandwagon in the last month. I think this suggestion that's been raised that people have been pushing for this is false. I download the soccer show to my podcast and they spent most of the last six episodes (before this week's) talking about the nats. Thank God for Molinaro and a couple of the bloggers, because the mainstream guys weren't saying much.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

With respect to the media's roll, we'll have to agree to disagree. Most of them did as little as possible and merely backed Mariner. Of those who did their job (John in particular), they mostly stayed neutral as they're supposed to and when they raised "president" it was in the context of what the fans were asking for. The only person I recall outwardly stating it early on was Craig Forrest.

Everyone else just jumped on the bandwagon in the last month. I think this suggestion that's been raised that people have been pushing for this is false. I download the soccer show to my podcast and they spent most of the last six episodes (before this week's) talking about the nats. Thank God for Molinaro and a couple of the bloggers, because the mainstream guys weren't saying much.

I would agree with this.

At WTR, we aren't "mainstream" and we took a number of shots from those that suggested the idea of getting Anselmi out of the org structure was far fetched. That playing a unified system (Academy on up) and sticking to it wasn't feasible. And outright ridicule for opposing the notion that Mariner deserved a year with players he brought in.

If TFC reacted to pressure, I would suggest that the pressure came from select few members of the mainstream. It came from a number of bloggers and from the efforts of the Make Us Proud campaign including each and every one of you that took the time to write or call the team to express your concerns.

Hopefully, this isn't a case of "be careful what you wish for"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=cmonyoureds;1545407]I look forward to "roof" being added to this statement. [/QUOTE LMFAO

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yup.this is more truthful... ..I did catch Molinaro on various radio shows espousing this.........he's open minded ....must say Tim and Sid on at 1:00 PM eveyday fan590...are major pro soccer supporters (ya haha what has that got to do with TFC)....I'm here all week bam...)and actually come to games ,...AND they are always on the MLSE FO for taking a s%^t.....quite funny really . Steven Brunt also and early morning CBC also......thats it...screw the rest ...probably Mariners drinking buddies...there were a lot of fence sitters..........everywhere!
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just moved to 111 if any like minded guys are relocating I hear there's lots of seats.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bumpity bump bump bump

using the old FB page. please check out the most recent post if you were involved in this.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/events/236866806442051/