Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425 LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Support will always be here. I realize that the diminishing number of people participating makes it frustrating for those who want to see more done. People come and go with results. One can frame it differently by saying its about the overall mood of the club with negativity but it's always been about supporting through thick and thin. How we do that and what makes our supporters culture is up to us all.

I don't see support dying or apathy taking over completely because there will always be people who want to be there. The rest is just egotistical IMO

PM if you want to talk more about it so we don't derail the message of the thread.
    While I respect your opinion on this matter, I see things differently than you.

What I see is a deteriorating fan base which for all the right reasons is disgruntled and growing more apathetic by the day. That's what I see. Call me a pessimist, I don't care, I've been called worse. I wish I could see sunshine and lollipops like some people but that's not me. While I can understand why some members of this group would be hesitant to participate in a protest, it's pretty clear that there is sufficient division in this group when it comes to certain matters. As someone else mentioned in their post, about the only thing we can ALL agree on is that the team wears "red" on the field.

Sure there will always be support, but what kind of support is a half-full stadium? Can we really be satisfied with that kind of support? I'm all about supporting the club through thick and thin but there comes a point where action needs to be taken to address the fundemental issues that are plauging this club. I'm not here to call anyone out, but rather would like to see some kind of unity amongst this group which seems to be lacking of late. While it's true that the on-field results haven't been there this season, neither has the support in the stands. I attended 80-90% of the games this season including all ACC and CCL competition games and I'm sure most people who call the south end home during games can agree on the fact that we could have and should have done better.

I love this team and I enjoy being a part of this SG but I think it's time for the group to re-evaluate itself, find its vision once again and come back better and stronger than ever before. This is not to say that the execs haven't been doing their job, they've done the best they could under such circumstances, but I feel more can be done in 2013.

Nothing personal here. Just my 2 cents. I won't derail the thread any longer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There does seem to be a pretty broad consensus around the need for a new President. Maybe that's the thing to organize around. Those that don't necessarily want to protest can still make their voice heard in many ways on this. Those that want to organize protests can do that as well. A new President is a good, tangible goal we should all be able to support in our own ways, no?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

agreed! new president! new direction!

lets get it going. delaying this is stoopid!

i propose letters and emails to Tom Anselmi, the board and owners. contact info shouldn't be hard to find. emails are easy. but i think sitting down and writing a letter shows more passion and commitment.

I'd like to suggest we stick to two points.

1. bringing in someone with North American soccer experience with a proven track record as president.

2. If MLSE are already doing this we'd like to ask for a public announcement that this is the direction TFC is going. we have to be realistic, the hiring process could take time. a public commitment will go a very long way in winning us back.

if there was hockey I'd want to be outside the ACC with our banners. unfortunatley that's not happening. this is all I can think of.

I think this deserves a new thread. I'll put one together.
    Last edited by Belfast_Boy; 10-24-2012 at 04:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ (this was a reply to Alonso's post - Belfasts came in while typing) The message needs to be more than just a president - it needs to be a president and a clear out of the people that have steered this ship through failure. Anslemi is not going to fire himself, so it's Cochrane, Brennan, and the like that need to go.

Send the message to Tom that we need a president, he'll shuffle the deck chairs around. Earl becomes president, Brennan get a promotion into some prominent position - there you go. Uncle Tom did what we asked and gave us a president.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Belfast_Boy View Post

i propose letters and emails to Tom Anselmi, the board and owners. contact info shouldn't be hard to find. emails are easy. but i think sitting down and writing a letter shows more passion and commitment.

I'd like to suggest that stick to two points.

1. bringing in someone with North American soccer experience with a proven track record as president.

2. If MLSE are already doing this we'd like to ask for a public announcement that this is the direction TFC is going. we have to be realistic, the hiring process could take time. a public commitment will go a very long way in winning us back.

if there was hockey I'd want to be outside the ACC with our banners. unfortunatley that's not happening. this is all I can think of.
    There is basketball at the ACC...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to suggest that stick to two points.

But there is basketball though. Raptors are owned by ML$E.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    ^^ (this was a reply to Alonso's post - Belfasts came in while typing) The message needs to be more than just a president - it needs to be a president and a clear out of the people that have steered this ship through failure. Anslemi is not going to fire himself, so it's Cochrane, Brennan, and the like that need to go.

Send the message to Tom that we need a president, he'll shuffle the deck chairs around. Earl becomes president, Brennan get a promotion into some prominent position - there you go. Uncle Tom did what we asked and gave us a president.
    I wish my friend, but I don't think that's in the room, never mind on the table. if we can get the prez he will be responsible for cleaning house. Tom is not going to fire everyone that should be.
    my feeling is that they know it needs done. we just need make sure they follow through.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

shows how much I care about basketball.....
    i immediately thought leaf fans could understand. I have no idea what raptor fans are like or if anyone goes.
    thanks for the suggestion. making me think.... alright anyone want to arrange a group at the ACC with banners?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

shows how much I care about basketball.....
    i immediately thought leaf fans could understand. I have no idea what raptor fans are like or if anyone goes.
    thanks for the suggestion. making me think.... alright anyone want to arrange a group at the ACC with banners?
    Yup.

That would be a precedent and get some media attention for sure.

The Raptors have been shite for years now along with the Leafs and TFC

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Code Red View Post
    While I respect your opinion on this matter, I see things differently than you.

What I see is a deteriorating fan base which for all the right reasons is disgruntled and growing more apathetic by the day. That's what I see. Call me a pessimist, I don't care, I've been called worse. I wish I could see sunshine and lollipops like some people but that's not me. While I can understand why some members of this group would be hesitant to participate in a protest, it's pretty clear that there is sufficient division in this group when it comes to certain matters. As someone else mentioned in their post, about the only thing we can ALL agree on is that the team wears "red" on the field.

Sure there will always be support, but what kind of support is a half-full stadium? Can we really be satisfied with that kind of support? I'm all about supporting the club through thick and thin but there comes a point where action needs to be taken to address the fundemental issues that are plauging this club. I'm not here to call anyone out, but rather would like to see some kind of unity amongst this group which seems to be lacking of late. While it's true that the on-field results haven't been there this season, neither has the support in the stands. I attended 80-90% of the games this season including all ACC and CCL competition games and I'm sure most people who call the south end home during games can agree on the fact that we could have and should have done better.

I love this team and I enjoy being a part of this SG but I think it's time for the group to re-evaluate itself, find its vision once again and come back better and stronger than ever before. This is not to say that the execs haven't been doing their job, they've done the best they could under such circumstances, but I feel more can be done in 2013.

Nothing personal here. Just my 2 cents. I won't derail the thread any longer.

Great post,

i guess you won't be called a troll like I've been for suggesting and stating the exact same things you just did.

But your right on the money

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gomesv View Post
    Great post,

i guess you won't be called a troll like I've been for suggesting and stating the exact same things you just did.

I've PM'd Code Red. And no he won't.

You didn't state those exact same things the exact same way.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great post,

Make a post with the same thoughtfulness, fairness, and respectful demeanor, and you won't be called a troll.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I've PM'd Code Red. And no he won't.

You didn't state those exact same things the exact same way.

Of course not, I get it I'm not RPB......different rules I guess

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same rules,no difference at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Make a post with the same thoughtfulness, fairness, and respectful demeanor, and you won't be called a troll.

- Scott
    This!
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Different perspective where you're coming from. You made your points well in previous pgs about your status and that was resolved. This is derailing. Let's get back to topic please.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ohhh I like that! maybe I'll put that on the back of my free jersey.
    Did you get that from Tommy boy last Friday

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"anybody who wants to judge us, or criticize our actions, can kiss my ass. seems a lot of our critics are simply troubled by dissent of any sort."

Well said Lobo.
    Yes I was there for both, and couldn't agree more with your sentiment.
    Last edited by Torontotonto; 10-24-2012 at 05:14 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Raptors game Nov 10 at 7 pm. I say we do it.
    Last edited by Belfast_Boy; 10-24-2012 at 05:24 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AL-MO View Post
    I'll make the clearest division of all.... There are two groups of people. Group A, the people who get shit done, and Group B the people who stand around and do nothing. They both make up the crowd. There is nothing wrong with either group. Not everyone can be a leader and not everyone has the time to to be a part of group a. And not everyone in group A is a crazy Pyro loving animal. But when projects need to be done they are there to help out without any hesitation. Right now there is way too many of group b and why Montreal embarrassed us in our own stadium, until the chaos around the 65th minute.

I think Belfast has done his best given the situation and lack of support by any group. I applaud Mark for his initiative and that is why I have assisted where I can. I would have much preferred an effort with a bit more backing than just a handful of individuals and I think that would have had an even bigger effect. But it was good for what it was.
    Yea Buddy

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure the little TFC protest influenced Steve Neases' cartoon that just was published:

MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice! thanks. just posted it on the facebook page.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I'm sure the little TFC protest influenced Steve Neases' cartoon that just was published:

lol that's some brilliant stuff!

Thanks for posting Oldtimer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to suggest we stick to two points.

I think this deserves a new thread. I'll put one together.

instead of calling for a president, perhaps we want to call for a football boss ... simple, subtle, its the same thing with a little wiggle room, lets them figure out the title, make tommy think its his idea

new football boss! new direction!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, you have to spell it out to Anselmi or he simply won't get it. New President! With a Vision!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and proven north american soccer experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    No, you have to spell it out to Anselmi or he simply won't get it. New President! With a Vision!
    no, too subtle for ya? i think you vastly underestimate him. he's not a dummy by any means. personally, if it were my business, i would pay a lot less attention to anyone trying to tell me i need a specific new position created ... however, i would be far more inclined to listen to someone offering general advise about a new structure that will benefit my business

i'm suggesting the term football boss, which implies the same thing as president, and perhaps even more, yet leaves room for mlse to call it president, director, general manager, etc. if we ask for a president, and they install a GM, will we be satisfied? it's the qualities of the role that we want to focus on, not the title.

i'm proposing this to the group for discussion before we get too deep into Phase II.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apologies lobo, but I disagree. I feel the term "football boss" is too loose as I don't think the TFC organization understands at what level the football boss would be. That person needs right at the top that has final say on all things football. I fear that MLSE will appoint a GM as "football boss" and then Cochrane will be elevated to president and block everything that the football boss does that doesn't agree with what Mariner wants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lobo View Post
    instead of calling for a president, perhaps we want to call for a football boss ... simple, subtle, its the same thing with a little wiggle room, lets them figure out the title, make tommy think its his idea

new football boss! new direction!
    A "football boss" could still be undermined by MLSE board stupidity. We need someone in full control who's contract clearly says that they are THE person in control of this club. Otherwise they'll give us a football boss with no hiring/firing power to create his own management team who has to work with people like Cockrane trying to undermine him

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing is, I think that Anselmi is probably getting his advice from Earl Cochrane. Earl's background with the CSA, minor as it is, coupled with political smarts gives him an in with Tom, so he is TFC's de facto President, and was the key player in getting Winter dismissed, the plan over-turned, and Mariner installed (the "MLS Realist" camp, as Duane Rollins put it).

Tom Anselmi will see no reason to listen to some random fans, who are disgruntled because the team is losing, over his man, even though most of those fans can see what he can't.

When change will come is when TFC fails in year 7 to make the playoffs, both Earl and Mariner will be turfed, just like Mo and Preki were.

So it's not a matter of a president, TFC already has one (whether in name or not), it's a matter of a knowledgeable president with North American winning experience. That's what we need to plant in Anselmi's mind, so when it inevitably comes time to turf Earl, he puts in someone who knows what he is doing, and give him the authority that he needs.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 10-25-2012 at 09:50 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    The thing is, I think that Anselmi is probably getting his advice from Earl Cochrane. Earl's background with the CSA, minor as it is, coupled with political smarts gives him an in with Tom, so he is TFC's de facto President, and was the key player in getting Winter dismissed, the plan over-turned, and Mariner installed (the "MLS Realist" camp, as Duane Rollins put it).

Tom Anselmi will see no reason to listen to some random fans, who are disgruntled because the team is losing, over his man, even though most of those fans can see what he can't.

When change will come is when TFC fails in year 7 to make the playoffs, both Earl and Mariner will be turfed, just like Mo and Preki were.

So it's not a matter of a president, TFC already has one (whether in name or not), it's a matter of a knowledgeable president with North American winning experience. That's what we need to plant in Anselmi's mind, so when it inevitably comes time to turf Earl, he puts in someone who knows what he is doing, and give him the authority that he needs.
    And the rumour has been that Cochrane was already given this position, although we haven't heard an official announcement.

If Tom was the President of TFC, then the position is, I believe, currently vacant (assuming Cochrane doesn't already have it). That's why I think it's fair to ask for it to be filled, as opposed to something looser like soccer boss. In addition to what people have said about North American experience, a real football man, etc, I suggest people say an external candidate to make it clear that Cochrane or someone else inside won't repair the bad trust we have now.