RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mornin d
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4-nil Toronto. Hooray a winnable game!

Canada tix still available in 112 vs Cuba Oct. 12th!!!

see link below:
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    4-nil Toronto. Hooray a winnable game!
    I support my team amd wear rose glasses, BUT, I don't view any game as winnable anymore....not absolute.

Dom

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

OK, so we destroyed this team at BMO after they had a heck of a time getting here. I wonder where all this confidence is coming from? Central America is never an easy place to play, regardless of the opposition. I'm just not seeing it - a victory, perhaps, but it won't be a stroll in the park by any means, and we're going to have to fight for everything we get.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hear the Salvadoreans just totally revamped their squad. Here's some of their stronger players in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahAOc...eature=related

We're fucked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fact a team that is as bad as TFC is in the "Champions League" unfortunately cheapens the tournament...

Someone from overseas decides to surf the net to look at this 'CONCACAF thing' and says "...hey look, the worst team in the league can qualify for this - it must be shit..."

I know its more complicated than that (last season qualification / Canadian entry-tournament etc) but from an outsiders view, they'll see "MLS last place - in Champions League" and draw their own conclusions...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

didn't even realise it was gameday until I open up this thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About Duncan Fletcher's article, particullalry his conclusion, that we should give mariner time is ridicolous. I agree with him that we need a clear long term vision, and managers should be hired with that in mind, but a manager that has shown he cannot do it needs to be shown the door, and as far as improving over the first three seasons, I will say not nearly enough, and basic issues remain the same not only between year one and three, but to date.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    The fact a team that is as bad as TFC is in the "Champions League" unfortunately cheapens the tournament...
    Meh, UEFA CL has the same problem with marginal entries from minor footballing countries. Most people ignore the early stages, and only start paying attention once the field is whittled down to some strong contenders.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yeah but even those minnows are still champions of their leagues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    Yeah but even those minnows are still champions of their leagues.
    those minnows are champions of their respective countries. TFC is the Canadian champion and therefore deserve their place in the champions league. I TFC were a part of the USSF you would have a point, but TFC is governed by the CSA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    About Duncan Fletcher's article, particullalry his conclusion, that we should give mariner time is ridicolous. I agree with him that we need a clear long term vision, and managers should be hired with that in mind, but a manager that has shown he cannot do it needs to be shown the door, and as far as improving over the first three seasons, I will say not nearly enough, and basic issues remain the same not only between year one and three, but to date.
    You're right. But it doesn't have to be the manager. What we need is someone who has actually seen a vision through to success. Simply "having the vision" is nothing, everyone has the same vision (of course, we're the only ones who had to pay Klinsmann for it, sheesh). If there was someone in charge saying, "Look, I've done this before, we need to give this more time," we'd all be on board with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    If there was someone in charge saying, "Look, I've done this before, we need to give this more time," we'd all be on board with that.
    Exactly. Instead we have the same guys in charge from two years ago telling us they will finally get it right. Nobody believes them anymore, except for their media mouthpieces.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    OK, so we destroyed this team at BMO after they had a heck of a time getting here. I wonder where all this confidence is coming from? Central America is never an easy place to play, regardless of the opposition. I'm just not seeing it - a victory, perhaps, but it won't be a stroll in the park by any means, and we're going to have to fight for everything we get.
    No way is this a stroll in the park. How many times have we, or a much better CMNT gone down to Central America in what should be a totally winnable match and struggled. Happens all the time.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

THANK YOU LUKE WILEMAN!

From Wileman's article:

"The Galaxy have combined their foreign additions with excellent choices in the MLS SuperDraft in recent years, and their defence is a shining example of what can be achieved by building through the draft."

Interesting that the Galaxy belong to international scouting networks like wyscout.com (amongst other MLS teams... well, except ours). Scouting well + Drafting well (using scouts) = success. Go figure.

Players we've given up draft picks to acquire:

Dasan Robinson
    Eric Hassli
    Quincy Amerikwa
    Nathan Sturgis
    Adrian Serioux
    Abdus Ibrahim
    Nick Garcia and Ali Gerba (<-- Package deal that one)
    Kevin Harmse
    Richard Mulrooney

The one that worked out..?

Amado Guevara

Last edited by Pookie; 09-25-2012 at 11:22 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    THANK YOU LUKE WILEMAN!

From Wileman's article:

"The Galaxy have combined their foreign additions with excellent choices in the MLS SuperDraft in recent years, and their defence is a shining example of what can be achieved by building through the draft."

Interesting that the Galaxy belong to international scouting networks like wyscout.com (amongst other MLS teams... well, except ours). Scouting well + Drafting well (using scouts) = success. Go figure.

Players we've given up draft picks to acquire:

*Dasan Robinson*
    *Eric Hassli*

Quincy Amerikwa
    *Nathan Sturgis*
    Adrian Serioux
    Abdus Ibrahim
    Nick Garcia and Ali Gerba (<-- Package deal that one)
    Kevin Harmse
    Richard Mulrooney

The one that worked out..?

Amado Guevara

Ive never even heard of this.....wyscout.com?

The trades for Sturgis, Hassli, and Robinson/K.Davies were hurtful for this team as of late.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    Ive never even heard of this.....wyscout.com?
    It appears to be a very interesting networking/ID service that boasts a customer list of the who's who of football

http://wyscout.com/all-customers/

That said, I don't use the service so can't vouch for it. Many MLS teams appear to participate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I wouldn't give for one Amado Guevara these days...

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the initial conclusion i submitted was critical of the playoffs or bust idea, that that was just going to make things worse, but i guess sportsnet has a higher standard for linking to unconfirmed reports so the end got changed around a bit.

Anyway, the basic conclusion was 'for the love of god stop changing direction every year'.

the first 3 years werent good at all, but the fact is we were slowly, awfully, getting better, and since then, every big purge has taken us back without anyone given the opportunity to properly rebuild. Am I confident Mariner's the man? nope, they've backed themselves into a corner where we kind of have to grin and bear it, and hope this mls knowledge that mariner apparently has does actually come through, and then they backed themselves even further into that corner with the playoffs or bust thing.

we need some kind of clear direction way above mariner's level, then stick with a plan even if we do have to fire a coach within that plan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With TFC's own struggles, I think we've missed out on some interesting plots elsewhere in MLS lately. One of which is Vancouver's continued struggles after re-vamping their squad mid season. Changes simply haven't worked out there. In the opposite direction, you could say that Montreal has improved dramatically to end the season, same with Columbus.

Dont' look now, but the east is looking like it's going to be really tough next year. You can make a case for pretty much everybody outside of the playoff picture improving drastically and not many in the playoffs look to be in a state of decline.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Agreed. Sticking with a plan/vision does not have to mean that you stick wich a coach that is clearly not up to it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    With TFC's own struggles, I think we've missed out on some interesting plots elsewhere in MLS lately. One of which is Vancouver's continued struggles after re-vamping their squad mid season. Changes simply haven't worked out there. In the opposite direction, you could say that Montreal has improved dramatically to end the season, same with Columbus.

Dont' look now, but the east is looking like it's going to be really tough next year. You can make a case for pretty much everybody outside of the playoff picture improving drastically and not many in the playoffs look to be in a state of decline.
    I agree with this.

Another story I saw surface today was that MLS has recorded a record 90 sell outs this season so far. The amazing thing is that TFC has not had a single sell out this season.

The league is improving, and TFC is falling behind in every aspect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

Yes, it does look like the east is going to be even more competitive next year. And while Vancouver may not be where they hoped to be, as of right now they're still in 5th place in the west so the wheels haven't fallen off completely. Montreal have some older players in key roles but they do seem to be able to sign players when they need to so they may stay competitive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    It appears to be a very interesting networking/ID service that boasts a customer list of the who's who of football

http://wyscout.com/all-customers/

That said, I don't use the service so can't vouch for it. Many MLS teams appear to participate.
    14 of 19 teams approve of having their brand associated with it.

Chicago Fire
    Columbus Crew
    DC United
    Houston Dynamo

Montreal Impact
    New England Revolution
    New York Red Bulls

Philadelphia Union
    Sporting Kansas City
    Toronto FC

Chivas USA
    Colorado Rapids
    FC Dallas
    LA Galaxy
    Portland Timbers
    Real Salt Lake
    San Jose Earthquakes

Seattle Sounders

Vancouver Whitecaps

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Agreed. Sticking with a plan/vision does not have to mean that you stick wich a coach that is clearly not up to it.
    BINGO!! It's not that complicated,no?
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !