Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    My feeling about NCAA is that because America has so large of a population, some good soccer players are produced despite NCAA
    Not sure why the distain exists. NCAA will change. As soccer grows in popularly, NCAA knows how to follow the money.

Set aside the development aspects to a 4 month schedule, the one core advantage NCAA has over the Academy model is routed in the "off field" aspects to growing up. While some can piss away their scholarships, NCAA provides much more support to developing players with various support mechanisms. Players graduate in their 20s and with more experience in being on their own and coping with the stresses of life, both personal and financial.

I remember listening to a broadcast on the Montreal Canadiens and a former player was talking about PK Subban. Then a 19 year old star with the Habs living on his own, with millions of dollars in Montreal of all places. A fellow with circumstances like that could get himself into a lot of trouble and Subban's 2nd year in the NHL suggested lots of that.

Many NHL teams are making the idea of billeting their young stars a common part of their development plan... regardless of who the player is. For those that can't crack the NHL at a young age, the minor league teams have those supports in place.

Contrast that with what DeRo said about TFC in that the team didn't even help guys find apartments and there are some very worrying aspects to the current model. Becoming a professional isn't just about what you do with a ball, it's what you do with time in between training and how you approach life.

NCAA prepares players for that much better than letting them loose on their own.
    Last edited by Pookie; 09-26-2012 at 03:17 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Not sure why the distain exists. NCAA will change. As soccer grows in popularly, NCAA knows how to follow the money.

Set aside the development aspects to a 4 month schedule, the one core advantage NCAA has over the Academy model is routed in the "off field" aspects to growing up. While some can piss away their scholarships, NCAA provides much more support to developing players with various support mechanisms. Players graduate in their 20s and with more experience in being on their own and coping with the stresses of life, both personal and financial.

I remember listening to a broadcast on the Montreal Canadiens and a former player was talking about PK Subban. Then a 19 year old star with the Habs living on his own, with millions of dollars in Montreal of all places. A fellow with circumstances like that could get himself into a lot of trouble and Subban's 2nd year in the NHL suggested lots of that.

Many NHL teams are making the idea of billeting their young stars a common part of their development plan... regardless of who the player is. For those that can't crack the NHL at a young age, the minor league teams have those supports in place.

Contrast that with what DeRo said about TFC in that the team didn't even help guys find apartments and there are some very worrying aspects to the current model. Becoming a professional isn't just about what you do with a ball, its what you do with time in between training and how you approach life.

NCAA prepares players for that much better than letting them loose on their own.
    Kid with money don't know how to live on their own? Sounds like a parenting issue to me, not something that school should be getting involved with.

End result is that a player graduates out of NCAA at 22-23, and he now has about 10 yrs to make a living. With rare exception, European teams aren't going to pay much attention to 22-23 yr old with no pro experience. Not to mention such high failure rate of those people that does go over to Europe, but just don't make the cut. Because they aren't prepared by NCAA to live a pro life, living and breathing soccer 10 months a year. Good for MLS perhaps, but not exactly a good career move for a player.
    Last edited by Yohan; 09-26-2012 at 03:21 PM.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

18 year old on their own in Toronto (or NY or LA) with little to no supports? Issue for any kid regardless of the parents. Some cope better than others. Just saying NCAA prepares you for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    18 year old on their own in Toronto (or NY or LA) with little to no supports? Issue for any kid regardless of the parents. Some cope better than others. Just saying NCAA prepares you for that.
    You'd be mistaken to think the pro teams just throw these kids out there without any sort of safety net. They know it's an adjustment period, and they often deal with such things in a very direct manner, often through mandatory classes and the sort. For guys like PK Subban earning millions of dollars under the age of 20, they often strongly encourage the players to bring along a family member or relative to keep them grounded. I believe your comment about TFC and finding players apartments and the sort: growing pains associated with the league. They are still trying to figure a lot of stuff out IMO.

The bottom line is really that the best way the world has found to develop soccer players thus far is to go fully pro at an earlier age and to fully dedicate yourself to training. Going through NCAA is a huge hedge, it limits your downside but also your upside. If the discussion is about a blue chip prospect who's has huge potential, I don't think there's any debate, you avoid the NCAA. If you are a middle of the road guy who *maybe* thinks they have a shot of going pro / having a career in MLS, well then you can explore your options a little more thoroughly.

That being said, this whole conversation gets astrophysics complicated when you consider that MLS is one small fish in a large ocean that is the world game. NCAA players are free agents when they graduate (can sign anywhere in the world), as others have pointed out the academy training in North America can be of varying quality, and some players just don't want to play for MLS money period. Quite a bit to consider when you're a growing league trying to decide how to deal with these issues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're pretty much out of the tournament rite? the goal differential is 6 from the standings.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rockxlee View Post
    We're pretty much out of the tournament rite? the goal differential is 6 from the standings.
    I'm pretty sure the first tiebreaker is pts earned between, then goal difference between the two tied teams. so if TFC beats Santos Laguna by 3 goals, TFC goes through
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I'm pretty sure the first tiebreaker is pts earned between, then goal difference between the two tied teams. so if TFC beats Santos Laguna by 3 goals, TFC goes through
    Yes. For all intents and purposes we are now playing a home and away with Santos Laguna, and we lost 3-1 in the first leg in Toronto.

4 team groups do make it a lot more interesting ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    Yes. For all intents and purposes we are now playing a home and away with Santos Laguna, and we lost 3-1 in the first leg in Toronto.

4 team groups do make it a lot more interesting ...
    3 Team groups serve Mexico and USA.

La De Da

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just getting home from Pearson now. Jon, Craig and I had a blast at the game, and glad we were heard on TV! Team was great to us, and the stadium beer was only $3! (And I'm pretty sure that was the away supporters mark up!)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^You were definitely seen and heard loud and clear. Thanks for doing us proud - credit to you lads.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 117 View Post
    Just getting home from Pearson now. Jon, Craig and I had a blast at the game, and glad we were heard on TV! Team was great to us, and the stadium beer was only $3! (And I'm pretty sure that was the away supporters mark up!)
    you guys are heros. (also on game in six)

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Truly awesome! The Dichio chant was heard especially loud and clear, even though the camera wasn't on you at that time. I was only half paying attention to the game at the moment, heard the Dichio chant, and was thinking WTF is going on there???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you don't mind me asking, what was the price for the trip? What was the itinerary?

I'd love to go on one of these CCL away trips eventually, have you been to others?

Proud to be a part of this group for these moments in particular.
    Last edited by Alonso; 09-27-2012 at 08:16 PM. Reason: grammar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, what was the price for the trip? What was the itinerary?

I'd love to go on one of these CCL away trips eventually, have you been to others?

Proud to be a part of this group for these moments in particular.
    It was a quick, relatively cheap trip (with aeroplan points).
    We flew down on the Monday, and back on the Wednesday (we've all got young kids and working wives - saints, they are!)
    The flight was 40,000 points and about $90 and was 5 hours direct.
    Hotel was $130 a night (split between us).
    Beer was fairly cheap.
    We hired a driver for the morning and took a 10 hour trip around the mountains and volcanos, and through Guatemala and parts of Honduras. This was extra, but totally worth it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So apparently this one was fixed.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Link?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Line Up:

F Hall; J Hall, Williams, Emory, Morgan; Lambe, Maund, Dunfield (C), Silva, Amarikwa, Johnson

Subs:

Roberts; Cann, Henry, Avila, Wiederman
    Hahaha. Oh god, the team is so much better now...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Link?
    The link is under the word "fixed".

Explains why Aguila were so bad, and how the "worst team in the world" could actually get a 3-0 win under one of the absolute worst coaches of it's existence.

A clean sheet for Freddy Hall?

how did that not go in???
    Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Nice win and nice to keep a clean sheet, but game wasn't fun to watch though. Very sloppy game!

We're not worst team in the world. Thanks Aguila for taking that title away from us. lol
    ^^
    I look at Aguila and realize there are teams out there that are worse than us.
    Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    I look at Aguila, and I remember all those Mister Donut franchises from my youth....Damn you Tim Hortons!
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 06-04-2014 at 09:34 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have to re-watch the highlights now to see this. To think I saw enough of match fixing in the CSL to now this.
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
    Have to re-watch the highlights now to see this. To think I saw enough of match fixing in the CSL to now this.
    Just watched them. It is pretty damn obvious haha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terry Dunfield getting a brace should have been a giant Red Flag that the game was fixed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Seedy Aguila"

They're not even trying to defend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yFC4q5CEt0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the first one drops, I wouldnt be supprised to see another few more.

Actually, that TFC CCL game with Preki in charge comes to mind. Forget the team name, but it was one down south with all those floping players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im glad weve gotten better...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    "Seedy Aguila"

They're not even trying to defend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yFC4q5CEt0
    Some observations:

1. Their GK is not in on the fix, he is really trying.
    2. The defenders are certainly not defending.
    3. TFC must have been horrible not to win this one 10-0.
    4. Love the FK directly into Freddy Hall's hands. Pretty much says it all.
    5. No pushing at the end, they just let TFC pass it around.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was Maund in on it?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”