Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post
    By the way, there is a rumour going around on twitter that TFC is interested in trading its 1st rounder for Sam Cronin.

Those are the types of moves we should expect from a management team that are going to do everything to keep their jobs.

I want to say the Mariner + Cochrane news is the low point for this club, but everytime I think that, it sinks lower.
    Sam Cronin should want nothing to do with this club.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can picture TFC becomming the new Chivas. Perenially bad playing to shitty crowds. While the rest of the league leaves both teams in the dust.

I really thing the league is seperating into the good and bad teams, and TFC is being left behind.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

By the way, there is a rumour going around on twitter that TFC is interested in trading its 1st rounder for Sam Cronin.

Those are the types of moves we should expect from a management team that are going to do everything to keep their jobs.

I want to say the Mariner + Cochrane news is the low point for this club, but everytime I think that, it sinks lower.
    So Sam Cronin has cost TFC 2 first round picks. One second overall pick to draft him into the league and one first round pick to bring him back to Toronto.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    So Sam Cronin has cost TFC 2 first round picks. One second overall pick to draft him into the league and one first round pick to bring him back to Toronto.
    To be fair, this is still just a rumour. But I do think its the type of moves we should be seeing with Mariner + Cochrane's jobs on the line. Win now at all costs.

At this point, I don't think 10 years with no playoffs is out of the question. Until I see otherwise I don't see how things will improve. Even after Mariner+Cochrane are done the cupboard will be so bare it will take a few years to recover.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can picture TFC becomming the new Chivas. Perenially bad playing to shitty crowds. While the rest of the league leaves both teams in the dust.

I really thing the league is seperating into the good and bad teams, and TFC is being left behind.
    In a salary cap league the differentiators will be coaching, scouting, and other key organization members. You cannot spend your way out of bad decisions by overpaying for players. MLSE has proven they are not very good in leagues where the playing field has been leveled.

We are being beaten off the field in so many aspects right now that it is directly impacting our on-field performance. So you are correct, there will be well run organizations that will succeed year in and year out. The rest are those that are not well run and will hope for the "cycle" to come around to their time to win or just have the one-off seasons of luck that get us some success.

Until we fix the off-field fiasco we will not have long term sustained success.
    Last edited by Suds; 09-19-2012 at 09:42 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

To be fair, this is still just a rumour. But I do think its the type of moves we should be seeing with Mariner + Cochrane's jobs on the line. Win now at all costs.

At this point, I don't think 10 years with no playoffs is out of the question. Until I see otherwise I don't see how things will improve. Even after Mariner+Cochrane are done the cupboard will be so bare it will take a few years to recover.
    I would be surprised if San Jose let go of Cronin that easily.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I would be surprised if San Jose let go of Cronin that easily.
    Not sure what his contract situation is though. Maybe he wants too much money?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The following is a quote from Frings off his Facebook page:

Torsten Frings

Hi Leute,
    vorab erst mal vielen Dank für die zahlreichen Genesungswünsche! Da mich so viele Fragen zu meiner Zukunft erreicht haben, möchte ich Euch hiermit mitteilen: Die OP verlief ohne Nachwirkungen. Ich habe jetzt ein paar Monate Reha vor mir und werde pünktlich zur nächsten Saison wieder topfit sein. Da will ich nochmal voll mit dem Team angreifen! Ich komme aber zuvor schon im Oktober wieder nach Toronto, auch um als Kapitän zum Saisonabschluss beim Team und Euch Fans zu sein. Es ist für alle keine leichte Zeit. Weder für den Club, das Team noch für unseren Coach. Paul Mariner übernahm unsere Mannschaft am Tiefpunkt und das war keine dankbare Aufgabe. Doch wir stehen als Mannschaft hinter ihm und werden da auch gemeinsam wieder rauskommen, denn der Zusammenhalt ist da.
    Euer Torsten

Hi,
    first of all many thanks for all the get well wishes! I received many questions about my future that makes me to say the following: The operation was fine and now I need some months for my rehab. I will be 100% fit to attac next season again. But before I will come back to Toronto in October to be as a captain with my team and our fans for the saisons final. It is a hard time for everyone at the moment. For the club, the team and our coach. Paul Mariner took over the team on the bottom and this was a unrewarding assignment. But the whole team is behind him and we stand this together, cause the solidarity is given in a good way.
    Torsten

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I initially gave Mariner the benefit of the doubt when he was promoted, but over an ample period of time, he has demonstrated that he is incapable of leading this team to the promised land.

I think retaining Mariner and Cochrane would be a terrible mistake on the part of the FO at an absolutely crucial juncture for the organization.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 09-19-2012 at 10:10 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maninb View Post
    Are you FUCKING kidding me?????
    No I'm not kidding. I 100% disagree with you ... well about PM at least. I've said same about EC for a long time, but now that we have both of their heads ready to be served on a platter in a matter of months, I'm willing to let it simmer nicely for a while.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great. So the headline really should be "Mariner, Cochrane to be fired at end of 2013 season" since that's the net-net result.

Enjoy renewing your seats!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    Enjoy renewing your seats!
    Thanks, I will! It's an offer I can't refuse at less than $17 a game + HST (presuming there is no reduction or discount). Might even add a seat.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I figure I can watch the dreck that will be on offer next season for free. Buying my beer from the LCBO will be way cheaper too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    Thanks, I will! It's an offer I can't refuse at less than $17 a game + HST (presuming there is no reduction or discount). Might even add a seat.
    I'll just wait for Travelzoo to offer me the same prices! But no commitment.

Enjoy your free scarf bro.

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

next year should be great
    mariner will have a full preseason
    frings and koover will be back
    less of a turnover we hope
    cant wait to renew my seasons and pay with tfc mastercard and get a free game day jersey

get ready for next year boys and girls its going to be the best yet
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Earl during his interview was making noises about staying the course, layed out 2 years ago ( I assume by Klinsmann ) . I wonder how the product on the field ( or some unidentified yet direction Mariner is moving ) is related to the PLAN?

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by starter View Post
    Earl during his interview was making noises about staying the course, layed out 2 years ago ( I assume by Klinsmann ) . I wonder how the product on the field ( or some unidentified yet direction Mariner is moving ) is related to the PLAN?
    plans change
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    Bahahaha. Cool story bro. As someone else said, enjoy the free scarf.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol. there is no plan you gullible fools.

How can there be a plan, when every time they "stick to the plan"...they do something different?

Unless of course the plan is, every time we have a decision to make, flip a coin!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    plans change
    I must say you have definitely addressed all of my concerns. Where is the line here to buy STs?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    As someone else said, enjoy the free scarf.
    Indeed I will! And if it all goes badly next year, I think I have enough of them now to hang myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I caught that and wondered the same thing. Does cochrane want to continue with the possession based, attacking style plan? Does Mariner?

Current behaviour indicates that they do not.

plans change
    So they totally overhaul the team...from philosophy to style of play...so much so that the new direction is what they sold us at renewal time....and a year and half later it's just "changed".

And you're okay with this?

I'm sorry people...but those who have faith that this group of men running the show can:

-get anything accomplished in terms of on field success

And

-will tell you the truth about the future direction of the club

Well...plainly...you're being foolish.

Now...if you understand the pitfalls and are willing to endure them...fine. To each their own.

But if you think they're at all competent or stand up guys...give your head a shake.

They're men who have no problem lying to protect themselves AND have shown little to no sense when it comes to actual football.

It's a scary scary combo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    On the one hand I like a directive that says - we are about winning. If you don't win, you're gone.

However, as Auzzy points out above, we know where this will lead. Decisions will be made for short-term gain to save jobs an squeak into the playoffs. This will just result in long-term pain. I see year 7 as a year of I told you so comments from the camp backing Mariner. Year 8 - the I told you so from the anti-Mariner camp when we drop back to crap because we blew out wad to save face for one year. That kind of decision making will not lead to consistent results.

I hope to hell I'm dead wrong.
    What I would like to see is someone stand up and say "If we don't win, I'M gone." Specifically any one or more of Mariner, Anselmi or Cock taking some ownership would be perfect. We have tried the expansion scrub approach. Failed. The home town boys approach with JDG/Serioux/YouKnowWho. Failed. The total rebuild/Academy/4-3-3 system route. The Multi-DP route with Koevs/Frings/JDG/Hassli. Failed. The Austin 'No-Pants' Powers approach. Failing badly.

What's the constant here? Club Leadership.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    What I would like to see is someone stand up and say "If we don't win, I'M gone." Specifically any one or more of Mariner, Anselmi or Cock taking some ownership would be perfect. We have tried the expansion scrub approach. Failed. The home town boys approach with JDG/Serioux/YouKnowWho. Failed. The total rebuild/Academy/4-3-3 system route. The Multi-DP route with Koevs/Frings/JDG/Hassli. Failed. The Austin 'No-Pants' Powers approach. Failing badly.

What's the constant here? Club Leadership.
    I don't think we should leave based on Win's and Losses, I don't agree with it at all.

We should leave because we've been lied to, because they charge more than they should, because they don't support supporters, because they make terribly bad decision after decision and deserve to be canned. All of them.

Win or lose, I care, but it's not what breaks me. This fucking bullshit FO, breaks me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    I caught that and wondered the same thing. Does cochrane want to continue with the possession based, attacking style plan? Does Mariner?

So they totally overhaul the team...from philosophy to style of play...so much so that the new direction is what they sold us at renewal time....and a year and half later it's just "changed".

And you're okay with this?

I'm sorry people...but those who have faith that this group of men running the show can:

-get anything accomplished in terms of on field success

And

-will tell you the truth about the future direction of the club

Well...plainly...you're being foolish.

Now...if you understand the pitfalls and are willing to endure them...fine. To each their own.

But if you think they're at all competent or stand up guys...give your head a shake.

They're men who have no problem lying to protect themselves AND have shown little to no sense when it comes to actual football.

It's a scary scary combo.
    From what we've seen so far it really seems that the Mariner-Cochrane combo sinply can't sign the players they need for the "Klinsmann plan." And with the kind of thing Mariner said to JDG when he got rid of him any agent whose player has another option will probably take that instead.

It will be very interesting to see what players these guys sign. Right now the plan is probably for Kouvermans, Frings and Hassli to come back next year, but if two or three of them don't is there any reason to think this management team will be able to sign another DP?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clearly the plan all along was to build a possession based team to make the transition to hoofball smoother
    Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post

Does Cockrane even know what possession football is, or even that Mariner changed the style? I'm not even joking. There's nothing in his background that would suggest that he knows anything about the game itself, and making statements like this support that. And this is the guy who's going to be the GM next year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    It will be very interesting to see what players these guys sign. Right now the plan is probably for Kouvermans, Frings and Hassli to come back next year, but if two or three of them don't is there any reason to think this management team will be able to sign another DP?
    They'll just trade a pick or two (or Avila and the rights to Plata) for another team's DP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, gone for a few days and we get this, and the JDG comments. Never dull is it?

I'm the first to say Mariner is shit and should go. I've said that since he was signed, and I'd still rather see him fired at the end of the season than carry on in this cul de sac we are in.

BUT, if this story from Duane is true, this is bull shit from TFC management. It is not fair to Mariner to have this ultimatum hanging over his head. It will drive all the decisions and (as others have said above) and there will be lots of decisions made that are completely short term. Anselmi really needs to go. It's great that he can hire a hapless coach and President (or whatever Cochrane's position is or will be), then show he can be the tough guy demanding results. Fuck him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    I don't think we should leave based on Win's and Losses, I don't agree with it at all.

We should leave because we've been lied to, because they charge more than they should, because they don't support supporters, because they make terribly bad decision after decision and deserve to be canned. All of them.

Win or lose, I care, but it's not what breaks me. This fucking bullshit FO, breaks me.

i think what chevy is saying is the people geting paid to run this club need to take ownership of it and be accountable for the decisions being made

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

next year should be great
    mariner will have a full preseason
    frings and koover will be back
    less of a turnover we hope
    cant wait to renew my seasons and pay with tfc mastercard and get a free game day jersey

get ready for next year boys and girls its going to be the best yet
    The sun shines on a dogs balls once a day I guess.