Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Mariner, Cochrane to return in 2013

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/co...return-in-2013

CSN has confirmed that both Paul Mariner and Earl Cochrane will return to Toronto FC in 2013. Both men will be given clear and separate job descriptions.

Mariner will remain as the manager and will have the last call on all player signings. There will be no question as to who is responsible for the product on the pitch – it will be Mariner.

Cochrane will be given the job of general manager, although the title may be different. It’s important to note that general managers in MLS have a different role than they do in sports such as the NHL. In MLS a GM is responsible for managing the cap and being the point man for other league specific issues. They have very little to do with selecting players, with the exception of playing a role in determining what salary is appropriate for individual signings.

The two men have also been given an ultimatum – they will be fired if TFC fails to make the playoffs at the end of the 2013 season.

A source within TFC confirmed that what CSN has learned “is a fair way to put it.”
    Well, they softened the landing for this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another wasted year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fucking abyssmal .... the 'lost year' coming up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So basically we are going to throw away another year as a club to confirm what everybody here already knows: That the people in charge aren't very good at their jobs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    So basically we are going to throw away another year as a club to confirm what everybody here already knows: That the people in charge aren't very good at their jobs.
    And possibly another year after that if they take forever to install a new management team.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yep, it will just be 8 managers at the beginning of season 8. Same old story.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can make the playoffs by accident in this league ...

I don't know what is more worrying: that we have never made it, or that Paul and Earl may have their asses saved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fan-fuckin-tastic. The glory starts in 2013

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they had better be fired the very day that the team is mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, and the search for a real GM should begin even before that if they aren't on track.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverTFC View Post

I don't know what is more worrying: that we have never made it, or that Paul and Earl may have their asses saved.
    Scary thought.

At the same time, these guys are so backwards their behavior is the greatest determent to their own success. They are really good at being bad, which sounds odd, but yeah...

I'm more concerned they will suck just as much as normal, "almost" make the playoffs and then plead for more time. They we have to suffer through another year of this shit.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverTFC View Post

I DO NOT WANT TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS BY ACCIDENT.

this has always been clear. i don't care about scrambling in and accidentally stumbling into a playoff spot because someone else fucks up. i want us to win, i want us to deserve to be there. fortunately, i haven absolutely no faith in these guys to bring us anywhere close to a playoff spot, so yeah.. i guess "another wasted year" is a pretty accurate way to put it.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inexcusable. Mariner was put in to improve the team and has not. There is no plan here. Cochrane will have reigns that he did not have before. Although I have little faith he will improve with more power at least he can now be fully culpable.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Cityboy View Post
    The glory starts in 2013
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So does Anselmi get fired if all 3 teams fail to make the playoffs? Somebody please tell me "yes."
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope CSN is wrong about this and new president gets rid of Mariner and Co to bring his/her own people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    I hope CSN is wrong about this and new president gets rid of Mariner and Co to bring his/her own people.
    Yes, let's hope this is one of those intentional leaks, a trial balloon, or something to gauge the reaction.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IF this is true: you know what "make the playoffs this year or else you're out" means. Especially when the folks in charge from the top of the FO to the coach & his lackey don't really have the skills. Especially when they don't have any long-term security to rely on. It means everything will be done in view of short-term results. We've seen this a couple of times over the past 7 years.

- Avoid getting & playing academy grads and other young talents & giving them the opportunity to grow.
    - Overpay for players, especially aging "results now" players.
    - Blow whatever you got for short-term results: allocation money; draft pics/allocation order/etc; international spots; whatever else you can think of.
    - Time-bomb contracts that increase in future years & screw us then (e.g., Barrett).
    - Verbal promises "That's all I can offer you this year, but next year we'll boost your salary, just trust me."
    - Overplay certain players, despite nagging injuries or folks just needing a break.
    - Avoid building skills, a certain style, or any other strategy geared more towards long-term growth.
    - Yell & scream alot.
    - Every player you sign, knows from the beginning that Coach & Coch are on a one-year leash. Good chance there will be new coaches/new philosophy/new whatever within a year, and lots of stress in the meantime. What good player is going to want sign in that atmosphere, with no guarantee of stability? Unless you're really willing to overpay. Their agents will know you're desperate.
    - All in all, screw the next couple of years so you can squeak into the playoffs.
    So if they fail, Anselmi gets to fire Mariner & Cochrane next year, but Anselmi again keeps his job?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A track record of nothing but failure. Sure, give them another year to put us further behind (if that's possible). Two years ago i didn't think we could be worse off.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On one hand, apathy is sad. On the other hand, empty seats may be the only way of getting through to these knobheads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im done with this shithole....i cant wait for the rep to call me to renew.ASSCLOWNS

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A funny response would be: OK I'll get season tickets in 2014 after Mariner & Cochrane are gone.

However, tied in with this, another rumour going around on Twitter: some kind of loyalty discount for renewing season-ticket holders. Perhaps: you can renew your seats at the cost they were back when you first got your season tickets. But of course, if you don't renew & want to come back in the future, you'll be screwed & have to pay top dollar from then on.

Kinda like a ransom pack to force you to pay for next year's shit show.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

7 coaches in 6 seasons.

"Make the playoffs or you are fired"

... what's different about next year, again?

If this becomes official, that seals the deal for me... regardless of what (if anything) they do with prices.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    So does Anselmi get fired if all 3 teams fail to make the playoffs? Somebody please tell me "yes."
    Nah, he'll just be judged in the same way his predecessor was: by how MLSE's income statement looks at the end of the year. Of course, on the Leafs front, if there happens to be a lockout for the entire 2012-13 season, he'll get a free pass on that front.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh man this sucks...it still baffles me how we ended up here after the promise of the early days of TFC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    some kind of loyalty discount for renewing season-ticket holders. Perhaps: you can renew your seats at the cost they were back when you first got your season tickets.
    I seriously doubt that. No way they lower south end tickets to $200 for the season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post
    I seriously doubt that. No way they lower south end tickets to $200 for the season.
    True, likely the discount won't be that steep. But maybe a sliding discount % based on how many years you've had season tickets. But there would still be pressure to renew for next year, despite the lousy prospects for the season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the one hand I like a directive that says - we are about winning. If you don't win, you're gone.

However, as Auzzy points out above, we know where this will lead. Decisions will be made for short-term gain to save jobs an squeak into the playoffs. This will just result in long-term pain. I see year 7 as a year of I told you so comments from the camp backing Mariner. Year 8 - the I told you so from the anti-Mariner camp when we drop back to crap because we blew out wad to save face for one year. That kind of decision making will not lead to consistent results.

I hope to hell I'm dead wrong.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    On the one hand I like a directive that says - we are about winning. If you don't win, you're gone.

However, as Auzzy points out above, we know where this will lead. Decisions will be made for short-term gain to save jobs an squeak into the playoffs. This will just result in long-term pain. I see year 7 as a year of I told you so comments from the camp backing Mariner. Year 8 - the I told you so from the anti-Mariner camp when we drop back to crap because we blew out wad to save face for one year. That kind of decision making will not lead to consistent results.

I hope to hell I'm dead wrong.
    I hope you are as well...but agree with your whole statement fully.
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There is no way we will make the playoffs based on what I've seen under Mariner so far. When you add in the likely departures (eg. Frings) and possible departures (eg. Koevs) before next season, it certainly doesn't look too promising.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going through a list of Jerry Seinfeld responses to annoying telemarketers, so i can share some with my ticket rep when they call.

But really, the only response to the question of "Will you be renewing your season seats" should be "why?" Let them try and answer that one.