Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto provides the perfect backdrop for the world's No. 1 sport, given our city's diversity and affinity for soccer. ~ Tom Anselmi

Really:
    af·fin·i·ty (-fn-t)
    n. pl. af·fin·i·ties 1. A natural attraction, liking, or feeling of kinship. WE HAD A NATURAL ATTRACTION WHAT HAPPENED?
    2. Relationship by marriage. _ WE ARE BREAKING UP, BUT I STILL LOVE YOU
    3. An inherent similarity between persons or things. See Synonyms at likeness.
    4. Biology A relationship or resemblance in structure between species that suggests a common origin.
    5. Immunology The attraction between an antigen and an antibody.
    6. Chemistry An attraction or force between particles that causes them to combine.- WE ARE NOT ATTRACTED TO YOU ANYMORE, WE LOVE THE BEAUTIFUL GAME!

This is an exciting day for soccer fans in Toronto who can now enjoy great quality soccer and have a team they can call their own. Toronto provides the perfect backdrop for the world's number one sport given our city's diversity and affinity for soccer. We're committed to making Toronto FC and Major League Soccer a success. ~ Tom Anselmi

- QUALITY SOCCER??????...WHAT QUALITY SOCCER!

"WE'RE COMMITTED TO MAKING TORONTO FC & MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER A SUCCESS"......BIG FAIL
    Last edited by tfcmanu; 09-18-2012 at 10:28 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anyone know the exact quote when mariner said no frills football, another great one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leafsman View Post
    anyone know the exact quote when mariner said no frills football, another great one.
    I believe he said that during one of the in game interviews. Don't know the exact wording. A good one for this thread though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I was away for awhile - what game did Mariner provide the "f you" gesture at the end?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post
    I believe he said that during one of the in game interviews. Don't know the exact wording. A good one for this thread though.
    NO FRILLS FOOTBALL!!!!

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/09...c-cant-cope-kc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    I was away for awhile - what game did Mariner provide the "f you" gesture at the end?
    Someone on the board has a screen capture of the event as their ID pic. (I think same one I'm thinking of) They might know exact date.
    (EDIT - board poster "Super" has the profile pic)

Paul Mariner - It’s all on performance, it always has been, and always will be. (in reference to players he picked, before second 9 game winless streak, before sitting last placed overall)
    Last edited by cmonyoureds; 09-18-2012 at 10:42 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Not really related to most of the quotes here, but those who attended the town hall in 2010 will remember this classic Anselmi gem: "Barry MacLean has no fucking influence on me!"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those town halls feel like they occured 10 years ago.

I can't believe in the aftermath of that the last 2 seasons occured.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^Yep. In two years, other than lower average attendances, nothing has changed really. Still facing the exact same issues. Following this team since Day 1 has been like watching endless re-runs of "Groundhog Day".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Yep. In two years, other than lower average attendances, nothing has changed really. Still facing the exact same issues. Following this team since Day 1 has been like watching endless re-runs of "Groundhog Day".
    In 2 years, we've regressed. We are worse off than we were the day Preki was fired.

And the people who have led the club here all get to stick around.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best thread on this board in a long time!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    Well, it's all moot since Mariner and Cochrane are both back next year.

The question is who will be above them?
    Nobody but Anselmi.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ageroo View Post
    my understanding is that was towards the colorado bench?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post
    Those town halls feel like they occured 10 years ago.

I can't believe in the aftermath of that the last 2 seasons occured.
    I wish I had brought a recorder to those sessions - there were some real gems.

Tom going around to everyone pulling out his six shooter going "We're gonna fucking fix this! Don't you worry!"

Paul Beirne's classic after everyone was bitching about JDG, "You guys wanted him, we gave him to you!"

Does anyone remember Mariner's quote at the half of his first game vs. Kansas City? I could have sworn Godfrey was all "So not a very good half, pretty rough etc..." and Mariner replies to the effect, "Really? I thought we were sensational!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"The greatest gift this city gave us was this rabid interest that we have in Toronto FC, you know we got sixteen thousand people with seasons tickets, we got another seventeen thousand on the waiting list, we could expand a lot more..."

Paul Beirne March 2010 OSA interview
    Last edited by MG42; 09-18-2012 at 11:42 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcmanu View Post
    i like the end of that article ...

No frills, no Frings, no points. ... put that on a two-stick ... could be the team's motto for 2013.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Paul Beirne (paraphrase - 2010): "The buck stops with me". (and voila, two years later, no real discernable progress, still here)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reporter: What system will you employ?
    Mariner: (paraphrasing) "I don't really know much about systems, but I played for some brilliant football minds like Sir Bobby Robson who made the 4-3-1-2"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Somewhere around June 7th of this year.

Mariner:
    “Im a very modest man but I’ve got unbelievable confidence in my own ability,” Mariner said.

“We are better than this, we are 100% better than this.”

LOL

I'm modest...and I'm great....just ask me.

What a loser.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MG42 View Post
    "The greatest gift this city gave us was this rabid interest that we have in Toronto FC, you know we got sixteen thousand people with seasons tickets, we got another seventeen thousand on the waiting list, we could expand a lot more..."

Paul Beirne March 2010 OSA interview
    The funny thing is that I think we've had one sell out at BMO Field since that statement (the LA home game in 2011).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another Mariner gem:

"At the present moment, we've just got to try to change things a little bit," Mariner said. "Only a few minor adjustments need to be made, in my viewpoint. We've got a lot of work to do starting this week. Two very, very big games and very important games. You've just go to wait and see what happens. We're going to get results, it's just that simple."

If the moves he's made in 3 months amount to "a few minor adjustments" I'm afraid to see what an overhaul looks like.

I think I'm gonna make a sign for the last game of the year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winter/Mariner Hiring Press Conference, January 2011 - Tom Anselmi - "We think we've got the right team here now, to do the job"

After beginning 2012 season 0-8, May 2012 - Tom Anselmi - "They need to figure this out"
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    my understanding is that was towards the colorado bench?
    That happened as well, but that was a different game.

EDIT I should note, I haven't watched the posted video. But the "up yours" has been at least twice: once towards the opposing team's bench; and once towards the west stands, whoever that was intended for.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spark View Post
    Paul Beirne's classic after everyone was bitching about JDG, "You guys wanted him, we gave him to you!"
    This one is priceless. Turn the blame on the fans for TFC FO decisions? I wonder what else in the past six years is our fault. I was pretty sure until that statement that I was just buying a ticket to show up to the games. I never knew we had so much power to get a guy signed here, as a DP no less. If we had that much influence in player movement and signings why did it stop there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    This one is priceless. Turn the blame on the fans for TFC FO decisions? I wonder what else in the past six years is our fault. I was pretty sure until that statement that I was just buying a ticket to show up to the games. I never knew we had so much power to get a guy signed here, as a DP no less. If we had that much influence in player movement and signings why did it stop there?
    It just shows you that we have a gutless management team that has no idea what they are doing.

Making individual signing decisions based on what fans want? ridiculous. And really, how are we any different from so many other pro sports teams out there? I'm sure teams like the Lakers, Yankees, Patriots, etc... all have 10x the armchair quarterbacks TFC does, I don't think their management turns around after the season and says: "you told us to do it!". People incharge of these teams are paid to be leaders and bring the team success... not aggregate opinion and manage the club by broad consensus.

Here's how most teams work:
    manager does poor job > fans get angry > ownership looks at situation objectively and decides what to do

At TFC:
    manager does poor job > fans get angry > ownership gets scared of fans getting angry > management tosses fan base a cookie to deflect responsibility then uses excuse of "we only did what you told us to"
    Last edited by ag futbol; 09-18-2012 at 12:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Earl Cochrane: “As of today Joao Plata is still a Toronto FC player.”

Last edited by tfcmanu; 09-18-2012 at 12:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mariner - “(Is he going) on holiday, a vacation … maybe he wants to be the manager so he can tell me what’s going on,” head coach Paul Mariner said after praising his side for the hard fought draw. “I love it when 19-year-old kids come in and tell the press what’s going on.”

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/Tor.../19938906.html

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just months after buying Plata's contract and signing him...Cochrane : "we have been shopping him (Plata) for months"... Did you even take the price tag off before you put him up on kijiji?

Mariner: "we are not in a panic mode, we are looking for long term solutions" ... Said days after he traded a first round pick for Hassli to replace the injured Danny Koevermans

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't Earl say on the weekend, they need 4 more starters and another 4 more bench guys....in his words it wasn't alot of players they need to be competitive.