Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    I probably should've posted this here first instead of the news thread:

All I have to say is that Winter's team didn't embarrass the club as much as Mariner's team has against LA.

These were the line ups for the CCL matches earlier this year:
    http://concacaf.globalsportsmedia.co...tch_id=1223742

http://concacaf.globalsportsmedia.co...tch_id=1223748

To be fair, Mariner didn't have the fire power up front that Winter had for his game. Namely Koevermans. But of Plata, Koevs, Johnson, and Soolsma, Mariner decided to throw away two of these players and replaced them with what exaclty? Weideman? Amerikwa? Also Beckham didn't play against us this time around.

Winter also didn't have O'Dea for his defense, and had to use Aceval and Harden but seemed to have gotten a way better defensive game out of the team then Mariner managed. And Mariner used a defensive formation for fucks sake. http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter...-v-tor/rosters

The other thing is that Plata, Soolsma and DeGuzman seem to be better options then what Mariner has chosen for the team and it was his direct choice to cast away these players. He could have gotten rid of them at the end of the year if he thought they weren't good enough. But he replaced them with players of his choosing who are worse players. How does that equal success now exactly? Hall seems like a worse goalie then Kocic by far. How doesn't Mariner see this?

I hope I am wrong, but next year seems to be a write off, and the year after as well, as the next guy will need a year to clean it up.

Next years saving grace will be a return of all of Koevs, Frings, Hassli, Johnson, Avila, Silva, and possibly Dunfield. The end of the hoof ball experiment, and two decent midfielders added to the squad and the solidification of Morgan, Henry, O'dea, and Eckersley at the back. EDIT: I should also add Frei and Kocic splitting the goal keep duties with Hall firmly placed on the bench.

Hoofball only works if you keep a clean sheet, or at the worst, let only 1 goal in. This hasn't been happening under Mariner, it's time to show him the door and go back to the vision for the club that Winter implemented.
    This is exactly what will happen and reason why mariner should be fired at the end of this season.

Give a new coach with his assistants and new Technical director to start working on 2014 season now,not at the end of 2013.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC in 2007 - 25 points in 30 games
    TFC in 2012 - 22 points in 30 games (4 remaining)

We are worse than an expansion team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post
    TFC in 2007 - 25 points in 30 games
    TFC in 2012 - 22 points in 30 games (4 remaining)

We are worse than an expansion team.
    Coached by MoJo...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sad thing is, we could lose the rest of our matches this season, and it wouldn't make a bit of difference - Mariner and Cochrane will be here next year regardless.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    Sad thing is, we could lose the rest of our matches this season, and it wouldn't make a bit of difference - Mariner and Cochrane will be here next year regardless.
    I'm not so sure about that anymore.

I think the season ticket renewal announcement delay might be related to Mariner + Cochrane's status. Although maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not so sure about that anymore.

I think the season ticket renewal announcement delay might be related to Mariner + Cochrane's status. Although maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.
    Remember that the source that they are staying is Duane's blog. He's had wrong information before.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Remember that the source that they are staying is Duane's blog. He's had wrong information before.
    Yes. Seems very similar to the reports that Cochrane would be made GM, and Dasovic head coach post-Preki. Then days (weeks?) later Winter + Mariner were announced.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm not so sure about that anymore.I think the season ticket renewal announcement delay might be related to Mariner + Cochrane's status. Although maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.
    I hope you're right of course, but my gut feeling is that they'll use whatever spin is necessary when they decide to keep them on for next season.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think the club may be using media to feel out the general mood before making decisions.

If there was no backlash and an overall acceptance that Cochrane and Mariner were the right choice to move forward with the club, the move would have been announced by now and we'd all be renewing our season tickets.

As things are, MLSE doesn't know what the fuck to do.
    Last edited by TOBOR !; 09-24-2012 at 11:09 AM.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    I think the club may be using media to feel out the general mood before making decisions.

If there was no backlash and an overall acceptance that Cochrane and Mariner were the right choice to move forward with the club, the move would have been announced by now and we'd all be renewing our season tickets.

As things are, MLSE doesn't know what the fuck to do.
    As I said in the "Are You renewing..." thread, they are also asking STH's these questions. I replied to the "Renewal Info is coming email" saying I wasn't going to renew. I got a call from a ticket rep the next day, with some very targeted questions like "Do you think we should keep Paul Mariner" and "What players do you like".

After that, I'm convinced more than ever they are going to do whatever the populous wants to drive renewals. So, business as usual.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    As I said in the "Are You renewing..." thread, they are also asking STH's these questions. I replied to the "Renewal Info is coming email" saying I wasn't going to renew. I got a call from a ticket rep the next day, with some very targeted questions like "Do you think we should keep Paul Mariner" and "What players do you like".

After that, I'm convinced more than ever they are going to do whatever the populous wants to drive renewals. So, business as usual.
    I replied too,but I saved myself a TFC phone call by replying :If Mariner and Cohrane are not fired by the end of 2012 season I'm not renewing,in case they are not fired,for me to renew ,they have to drop ST price down to 2007 level"
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post

This is the thing, it is great that they respond, but FUCK, who your hire next should not be based on a poll of STH and supporters, but a well thought out football decision. FUCK THIS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    This is the thing, it is great that they respond, but FUCK, who your hire next should not be based on a poll of STH and supporters, but a well thought out football decision. FUCK THIS.
    The problem is they are more concerned with doing what they think is needed to sell seasons than what is needed to build a winning team. It's all short term fixes to get the next shot of cash from the fan base. Same as always.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    I replied too,but I saved myself a TFC phone call by replying :If Mariner and Cohrane are not fired by the end of 2012 season I'm not renewing,in case they are not fired,for me to renew ,they have to drop ST price down to 2007 level"
    Don't forget to include Paul Bierne and Jim Brennan in that "to fire" list. May as well get rid of all the rot while you are at it, otherwise they'll end up running TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ same as always, that is why I need to see real and substantive change, to believe in this club again.

This is why MLSE is a shit sports owner, they simply do not put winning as job one, selling tickets is job one. they do not get if you win they will come reality in the world of sports. The Leafs experience has fucked up their perseption of reality, as the leafs are one of the few exeptions to the rule.
    Last edited by trane; 09-24-2012 at 04:35 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Don't forget to include Paul Bierne and Jim Brennan in that "to fire" list. May as well get rid of all the rot while you are at it, otherwise they'll end up running TFC.
    I'd say no... stcik to what is achievable.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    ^ same as always, that is why I need to see real and substantive change, to believe in this club again.This is why MLSE is a shit sports owner, they simply do not put winning as job one, selling tickets is job one. they do not get if you win they will come reality in of sports. The Leafs experience has fucked up their perseption of reality, as the leafs are one of the few exeptions to the rule.
    If they placed more emphasis on fielding more competitive and winning teams, the ticket sales would take care of themselves. But this is a concept that MLSE seems to find hard to grasp. Then again, as you correctly say, this hasn't been an issue with the Leafs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firing people is easy, they do it all the time. Anselmi still thinks the biggest problem with Mo was that he waited too long to fire him, not that wasn't qualified in the first place.

The problem isn't who they'll fire - if they really thought they'd get back to sell-outs and a waiting list if they fired Cochrane and Bierne and Brennan they'd fire them - the problem is who they'll hire to be in charge. Whoever works for Anselmi will run the place the way he wants it run.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Right and that's probably exactly why there'll never be a real football person hired by this club. They'd clean house. I can recall a conversation with Paul James even a few years ago where he said if he ever was in the position to run TFC he can think of ten people he'd fire on day one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But then there will be no change at all - those two would bring in their own proteges and teach them the way they do things so that when they take over after those two TFC would just continue sucking in perpetuity. Everyone in any position of power in the FO has to go at one time and the next guy has to bring in his own staff, otherwise TFC is doomed.
    Last edited by Initial B; 09-24-2012 at 03:32 PM.