Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    The only rants i care to hear from about Mariner and the organization are Frings, Koevermans, Frei and Kocic. JDG didn't earn the right, he didn't even earn a fraction of his contract.
    None of those 4 players that you mention will play next year for TFC if Mariner is coach,will you believe than that PM is incompetent coach.

Frings already did it,he told hi to FUCK OFF in front of several TFC players and stuffer,and than left for hip"surgery".
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Explain your perspective to me regarding his play for the Nats? (no condescending tone or sarcasm in my question, i am really interested to know what you think). All i see is a guy who gives the ball away then hustles to back track only to completely whiff at the man with the ball.

He pressures the ball very well, but if the opposition knows he's not going to cause them any trouble, they can just side-step him and start an odd-man rush. I see that all of the time. He has no sense of position for his role and can't get stuck in. You look at an understated player like Xabi Alonso who is slow as molasses, but would never be caught out of position, would never swing and miss at the player with the ball, and if the tackle isn't there, he does his best to kill the ball by at least getting in the way of the offensive player.
    And no i'm not expecting him to be Xabi Alonso, just wishing he would review a bit of video before going out on the field and running around like a chicken with his head cut off. It does us no good, and can only imagine how it makes guys like McKenna feel having to be on their heels trying to decide which players to mark, their own or JDG's missed assignment.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    None of those 4 players that you mention will play next year for TFC if Mariner is coach,will you believe than that PM is incompetent coach.

Frings already did it,he told hi to FUCK OFF in front of several TFC players and stuffer,and than left for hip"surgery".
    Don't mince my words. Paul Mariner is in no way, shape or form a competent coach. My issue is with JDG being an incompetent midfielder.

This muppet show is obvious for all to see. But i take no credence in what JDG has to say regarding the situation. He didn't do himself any favours with his play on the field. He just seems to be passing the blame of his individual demise.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't mince my words. Paul Mariner is in no way, shape or form a competent coach. My issue is with JDG being an incompetent midfielder.

This muppet show is obvious for all to see. But i take no credence in what JDG has to say regarding the situation. He didn't do himself any favours with his play on the field. He just seems to be passing the blame of his individual demise.
    I do agree with you that JDG did not perform they way we would like to ,but a lot of our anger has to do with his salary,if he was making 200K,no one would complain.
    The fact that Mariner is lost,stays,regardless of JDG performance with TFC.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sky View Post
    What exactly is an ass clown anyway?

1. One whose stupidity and/or ineptitude exceeds the descriptive potential of both the terms ass and clown in isolation, and in so doing demands to be referred to as the conjugate of the two

2.A person who by ignorance or stupidity takes up unnecessary amounts of your time.

3.A person who knows absolutly nothing about his job or trade but can tell everyone else how to do it better!!

4. anyone in TFC Front Office

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No plural needed for TFC FO Ass Clown. They share the slogan "All for One"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And no i'm not expecting him to be Xabi Alonso, just wishing he would review a bit of video before going out on the field and running around like a chicken with his head cut off. It does us no good, and can only imagine how it makes guys like McKenna feel having to be on their heels trying to decide which players to mark, their own or JDG's missed assignment.
    Well, I disagree with your assessment of him position-wise. He does get caught the odd time but you have to keep in mind that De Guzman’s responsibilities for the team are much different than Xavi Alonso’s. One is an out-and-out DM who stays at home and usually finds himself playing next to a couple of very attack minded players and the other is more of a south American style volante who steers the play and is usually balanced out by a couple of box-to-box players.

When the field is spread properly, he can spray the ball around to the right places. It soaks up the ball for the team and is the connection between the defending players and the attackers. I think he does it pretty well. Canada would be struggling for possession without him. As far as the defending goes, he’s less of a battering ram these and more of a guy who tries to steer you to places where you’ll lose the ball. It’s not the strong point of his game, but he knows when to take the tactical foul when need be.

Anyway, one man’s opinion. But my general impression is that most fans of the nats are satisfied with his play.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Well, I disagree with your assessment of him position-wise. He does get caught the odd time but you have to keep in mind that De Guzman’s responsibilities for the team are much different than Xavi Alonso’s. One is an out-and-out DM who stays at home and usually finds himself playing next to a couple of very attack minded players and the other is more of a south American style volante who steers the play and is usually balanced out by a couple of box-to-box players.

When the field is spread properly, he can spray the ball around to the right places. It soaks up the ball for the team and is the connection between the defending players and the attackers. I think he does it pretty well. Canada would be struggling for possession without him. As far as the defending goes, he’s less of a battering ram these and more of a guy who tries to steer you to places where you’ll lose the ball. It’s not the strong point of his game, but he knows when to take the tactical foul when need be.

Anyway, one man’s opinion. But my general impression is that most fans of the nats are satisfied with his play.
    I appreciate your assessment. It's always helpful to get an opposing view. I know he "tries" to spray the ball around, but i rarely see him hit his intended target. On TFC, a lot of that blame can be placed on terrible decision making and movement off the ball by his intended targets, but there's no excuse for it on the national team.

Agree to disagree, but thanks for taking the time to express your point of view.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Well, never a dull moment with this team.

Yes, Mariner is an emotional wingnut (hey, I just noticed you edited this ), but the bigger problem is he has no boss. This has been the problem here from day one, unqualified guys in positions of power with no one watching them. I can't decide if the execs look at TFC the way that woman who owned the Chiefs looked at the team in Slapshot ("It's been so amusing to follow your antics in the paper,") or if they really think the guys they hire can actually run a sports team.
    Yes, agree 100%, this is just more evidence of the real problem, and the endlessly derivative nature of these discussions.
    This is really an argument about the arrangement of the deck chairs on the Titanic.
    Whether JDG was any good or not, is less than nothing now.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    1. One whose stupidity and/or ineptitude exceeds the descriptive potential of both the terms ass and clown in isolation, and in so doing demands to be referred to as the conjugate of the two

2.A person who by ignorance or stupidity takes up unnecessary amounts of your time.

3.A person who knows absolutly nothing about his job or trade but can tell everyone else how to do it better!!

No plural needed for TFC FO Ass Clown. They share the slogan "All for One"
    SLOW CLAP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Well Mo Johnston can, he signed the fucking guy.

Disagree on him not being good for the nats. I think that runs counter to what most would say about his performance.
    Ya, he been strong for Canada, no doubt about that. Here in Toronto, he and Frings did well together and from what I've been told, enjoyed their partnership. It would not surprise me at all if the disposal of JDG was another element of the frustration Frings felt here.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by London View Post

Yep.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    I don't think JDG performed as poorly as most people here feel. I also don't think that he was the right signing for us, nor was he worth what we paid. That being said, if Mariner actually said that to DeGuzman, it indicates how messed up our organization is.
    This is everything I want to say. Thanks.

The guy is on the wrong side of thirty and has had niggling injuries, since he got here. It's a little difficult for me to completely turn a blind eye to all of that and simply say he has underperformed.

Factor in the curious points Oldtimer has made and suddenly the picture becomes that bit clearer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont have much to add as its all be said. If he wants to prove everyone he still has game then he should resign with Dallas, then prove he has what it takes in this league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its true julian is no longer the player he once was for club/country and was overpaid for a role that doesnt really exist in Mls context, but like somebody else mentioned he is a class individual.

What Mariner reportedly said is vindictive and tactless, and just provides scope of the type of individuals running this club.

Makes me sick to my stomach really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

correct me if im wrong.but was PM let go by a english club after 2 wks on the job.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    correct me if im wrong.but was PM let go by a english club after 2 wks on the job.
    I'm not sure ,but if it was,good on them,it took their FO 2 weeks to realize what a baboon Mariner is.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mariner was Plymouth manager from Dec 09 to May 10. Plymouth was in administration and financial trouble at the time
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thx...for the info.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    So, so many of our ex players do this. But I can't get worked about this one. Unlike the rest, this guy collected $5 million and did nothing here. Wouldn't even tackle, most days.

No single event was worse for the team than the JDG signing. If there are bad feelings on all sides, who could be surprised?
    This ^

I'm not going to flip-flop because i've been turned sour against our own organization.
    De Guzman was poor at best when he was here, and only had brief flashes of good play. I would've said the same shit to him. Wasn't worth what we paid him, and held the team back in $$$, and probably stirred the entire De Ro situation with his paycheque.
    Can see De Ro saying "If i'm scoring all the goals, and he's playing like that, why can't I be a DP?"

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleUp View Post
    Its true julian is no longer the player he once was for club/country and was overpaid for a role that doesnt really exist in Mls context, but like somebody else mentioned he is a class individual.

What Mariner reportedly said is vindictive and tactless, and just provides scope of the type of individuals running this club.

Makes me sick to my stomach really.
    Agreed. JDG's performance should have no bearing on whether or not we should believe him when he makes these remarks. It's just one more negative testimony of many, in fact.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is what we call the "bad company" problem in the investment business. Somebody you generally don't respect winds up saying something you totally agree with.

(An example. Two years ago, when opposing the Fed was a deeply contrarian opinion, someone I generally have no respect for rode into the debate, making total sense .....
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/1..._n_780419.html)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I read the comments about Mariner saying for him to burn in the heat and go to a last place team, my eyes literally bulged out of my head. This is ridiculous, the smallest amount of respect I had for Mariner is now gone. This guy needs to go. No tactics, players out of the right position, a clown on the sidelines, and an asshole. Not going to another TFC game until he's gone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im with you on that,my seats hv been empty the last 3 games and i will not go to another tfc game until the coch and drunk are gone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am starting to like Mariner after that quote(not his game tactics though). I guess it's been a long time since JDG has been a hero so he felt he had the right to yap off.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleUp View Post
    Because Julian DeGuzman is suddenly a reliable source of information? Presumably Mariner didn't just walk up to him one day and say that out-of-the-blue? What did DeGuzman say first?

Many here have said much worse about DeGuzman ... but we finally have a coach who'll speak his mind, and he says something negative, and you all want to hang him for it? Give me a break. You've all made up your minds based on gossip and innuendo, and aren't willing to entertain other opinions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha keep it classy, JDG. Just shows what kind of guy he is. What a little tattle tale. Go throw another party you dickhead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Players like Frings and Soolsma didn't have a problem leaving. I'm sure the subs are happy to be given a chance to "fight for their jobs" when Mariner is afraid to make a single sub, and this guy has no problem throwing players under the bus every week. It's never his fault.

Now you have this quote. I mean, what more can you say about this guy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    Because Julian DeGuzman is suddenly a reliable source of information? Presumably Mariner didn't just walk up to him one day and say that out-of-the-blue? What did DeGuzman say first?

Many here have said much worse about DeGuzman ... but we finally have a coach who'll speak his mind, and he says something negative, and you all want to hang him for it? Give me a break. You've all made up your minds based on gossip and innuendo, and aren't willing to entertain other opinions.
    I think we can all connect the dots on the page.

JDG's statements in isolation... Not enough. The history of management at this team and the frequency which people speak out about it is damning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i really dont care what he said about JDG...i dont like his tactics and his demeanor on the sidelines,it is embarrassing.
    its just a matter of time before the players tune him out.