0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“I’ll never forget the words of [current TFC manager] Paul Mariner saying that he wants to make sure he’ll send me to a last-place team and let me burn in the heat,”
    Wow...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, so many of our ex players do this. But I can't get worked about this one. Unlike the rest, this guy collected $5 million and did nothing here. Wouldn't even tackle, most days.

No single event was worse for the team than the JDG signing. If there are bad feelings on all sides, who could be surprised?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmmm....i wonder if thats true. if it is, i wonder what set it off. doesn't really matter since he was next to usless for us, and the majority here were more than happy to see him leave.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    So, so many of our ex players do this. But I can't get worked about this one. Unlike the rest, this guy collected $5 million and did nothing here. Wouldn't even tackle, most days.

No single event was worse for the team than the JDG signing. If there are bad feelings on all sides, who could be surprised?
    Well, I wouldn't dismiss it entirely. When were these comments to JDG expressed?

While Winter was still here? Months before the trade? A day or two before?

Timing is everything. One implies interference. One implies allowing a negative situation to fester and a divide to enter the room.

And regardless of timing, it implies a statement that you wouldn't expect from a player's coach. Does anyone think this adds to our reputation as being a great place to sign and play?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your boss was trying to get rid of you, how well would you preform?

JDG has come out already to say that all of his coaches, except for one (Cummins?) were trying to get rid of him.

I think the mystery of why JDG did so well in Spain that he was his team's player of the year, and has done so well for Canada that every coach has prominently used him (Stephen Hart has called his play "fantastic"), but has sucked so badly for TFC has finally been solved. No, it wasn't "prekiball." No it wasn't Winter's backline. No, it wasn't that he can't play Mariner's hoofball. It's that his coaches have been constantly trying to dump him.

Suddenly, after he moves to Dallas, his coach is full of his praises, and he scores a wonderful goal, something he couldn't seem to do for TFC.

No mystery there.

Anyway, if so many of our ex-players do this, but it's rare for other clubs, it's not that miraculously TFC only gets players with "bad character." One needs to look no further than the TFC F.O. for the real cause.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 09-16-2012 at 07:53 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

However under performing a player is, this type of comment from a manager is just unprofessional. It's completely unacceptable. Who the fuck would want to work under Mariner, let alone MLSE.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's no way to conduct yourself, sure. But I am bitter at JDG too, and don't forget, JDG is a multimillionaire with no future in soccer and pretty much nothing to lose. When Cummins or Gerba did this, now that got my attention.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So much for Mariner being a player's coach. Dick!
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sweet goal

and mariner is a fucking ass clown

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's no way to conduct yourself, sure. But I am bitter at JDG too, and don't forget, JDG is a multimillionaire with no future in soccer and pretty much nothing to lose. When Cummins or Gerba did this, now that got my attention.
    Sure, JDG sucked for us, and I don't feel too badly for the highest-paid player at this club who did virtually nothing for us. But still, I see this as being a further indictment against the way this club has been, and continues to be, run.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    If your boss was trying to get rid of you, how well would you preform?
    JDG non-performed for quite a few others before he got to Mariner.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JDG non-performed for quite a few others before he got to Mariner.
    Not surprising, since everyone except for CC was trying to get rid of his contract.

Remember how he was on the unprotected list every year? He knew.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think JDG performed as poorly as most people here feel. I also don't think that he was the right signing for us, nor was he worth what we paid. That being said, if Mariner actually said that to DeGuzman, it indicates how messed up our organization is.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Not surprising, since everyone except for CC was trying to get rid of his contract.

Remember how he was on the unprotected list every year? He knew.
    Yes. We're looking at the same thing and coming to opposite conclusions. He could have decided to show any one of those coaches that they were wrong. Instead he collected big paycheques, and didn't even try imo.

Now he scores a goal in Dallas and thinks it proves something? Not for me it doesn't.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yes. We're looking at the same thing and coming to opposite conclusions. He could have decided to show any one of those coaches that they were wrong. Instead he collected big paycheques, and didn't even try imo.

Now he scores a goal in Dallas and thinks it proves something? Not for me it doesn't.
    Don't you think it would be just a tiny bit troubling if Winter saw a place for JDG (and he arguably performed better under him) and Mariner made these comments while Winter was still here?

That would reek of sabotage... No?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I doubt the conversation started with "I'll send you to a last place team and let you burn in the heat", it was obviously an argument started most likely by a manager wanting to discuss his players performance that went a little to far, however watching this guy for three years not come anywhere close to earning his paycheque I say he deserved it.

He's been waiting two months to use that line, perhaps his performance of late is because of it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Don't you think it would be just a tiny bit troubling if Winter saw a place for JDG (and he arguably performed better under him) and Mariner made these comments while Winter was still here?

That would reek of sabotage... No?
    That really is not the likely scenario, don't know how/why you guys think it is.

It was most likely said on the way out the door, ie once Mariner knew the destination. It's not like it was obvious where JDG could end up, or even if it would happen, that was tricky with that contract and DP slot.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That really is not the likely scenario, don't know how/why you guys think it is.

It was most likely said on the way out the door, ie once Mariner knew the destination. It's not like it was obvious where JDG could end up, or even if it would happen, that was tricky with that contract and DP slot.
    If said on the way out the door, sort of ridiculous to single out last place club as if it were a banishment when TFC, at the time of trade, was clearly the worst in the league. Sounds more like something said either early on into the season or prior to the start, IMO.
    Last edited by Pookie; 09-16-2012 at 09:18 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm less concerned about JDG, more concerned about our reputation. I would not be surprised if there were a few generation adidas guys this year who flat out refuse to come here.

We keep saying we can't fall any further, but still find new ways to dig.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    If said on the way out the door, sort of ridiculous to single out last place club as if it were a banishment when TFC, at the time of trade, was clearly the worst in the league.
    We agree on this. Disagree on the conclusion one would draw from this. I believe Mariner would easily do this, I base this solely from watching him at close range on the touchline. We all know from actual observation: Mariner is an easy-to-set-off, not -too-clear-thinking-in-the-moment wing nut.
    Last edited by ensco; 09-16-2012 at 09:24 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regardless how bad JDG performed here, JDG is not only player who is happy not to be coached by this idiot; Plata run away too, Soolsma had no problem to leave either, and last one is Frings, I can bet that Koevs will not get healthy for next season if Mariner is still coach.

Mariner thinks he knows this game because he played 150 years ago, and acts like ass in the change room.

This is why Frings after PM throw him under the bus told Mariner to fuck off and that he is not coming back as long drunken Monkey is TFC coach, hip injury came as a nice exit card from TFCircus.

Mariner is classes ass-clown who lost the bench a while ago, there is a handful of players that want to play for him, majority is just waiting for this season to end.

Anselmi FIRE MARINER before there is only 1000 fans per game.
    Last edited by jabbronies; 09-16-2012 at 05:00 PM.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If JDG blows the ball 20 yards over the crossbar like he usually does, we're not having this conversation. He scores a rare goal, gets a mic shoved in his face and excitedly takes a shot at the club that tried their best to get rid of his albatross contract which handcuffs a team in a cap league.

He was terrible while here, regardless of the coach, and he hasn't been good for the National Team in years. I cringe when i see JDG penned into the holding role over Will Johnson. He can't mark and he can't tackle and allows the opposition to blow by him on the counter attack.

We all know what a shit show this organization is, but Earl Cochrane, Mo Johnston, Aron Winter or Paul Mariner can't be held responsible for a player who simply forgot how to hold possession, play a simple pass or tackle inferior MLS players. He took the money and ran with it. It's just a shame that while he was running, he couldn't have at least marked an opposing shirt.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    sweet goal

and mariner is a fucking ass clown
    What exactly is an ass clown anyway?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JDG is pure class as far as I'm concerned. The man did play in all the different systems that we've tried here in which only Winter's took advantage of his ball control and high level of skill. People even commented on how much better he was playing at that time and that he must have been playing through injury prior to his good play under Winter...no, prior to Winter they were not using him properly. Everyone shit on him because he wasn't a goal scoring, nasty tackling, machine for the $ we paid him. FFS, ML$E wanted to bring in a controlling high skilled player at the time and blew the budget because we sucked balls and had boatloads of $ coming in from the "best fans in the MLS" (wow, how ML$E have killed that one, but I digress). Yes they overpaid and it caused issues, but if you were JDG would you not want to come here and give it your all for the $ they tossed at you???

I had the pleasure of meeting JDG a few times for away games and each and every time he made sure he came over and personally thanked me for coming to the game. We've had a few players over the years that have that attitude and I hate reading shit from people who say he's got no class or he's over paid or crap like that.

I'm a little surprised JDG would make a comment about PM like that but it must have really pissed him to the core.

Fan-effing-tastic goal. We're going to need this from him vs Cuba and Honduras.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only rants i care to hear from about Mariner and the organization are Frings, Koevermans, Frei and Kocic. JDG didn't earn the right, he didn't even earn a fraction of his contract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We agree on this. Disagree on the conclusion one would draw from this. I believe Mariner would easily do this, I base this solely from watching him at close range on the touchline. We all know from actual observation: Mariner is an easy-to-set-off, not -too-clear-thinking-in-the-moment wing nut.
    Well, never a dull moment with this team.

Yes, Mariner is an emotional wingnut (hey, I just noticed you edited this ), but the bigger problem is he has no boss. This has been the problem here from day one, unqualified guys in positions of power with no one watching them. I can't decide if the execs look at TFC the way that woman who owned the Chiefs looked at the team in Slapshot ("It's been so amusing to follow your antics in the paper,") or if they really think the guys they hire can actually run a sports team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    We all know what a shit show this organization is, but Earl Cochrane, Mo Johnston, Aron Winter or Paul Mariner can't be held responsible for a player who simply forgot how to hold possession, play a simple pass or tackle inferior MLS players. He took the money and ran with it. It's just a shame that while he was running, he couldn't have at least marked an opposing shirt.
    Well Mo Johnston can, he signed the fucking guy.

Disagree on him not being good for the nats. I think that runs counter to what most would say about his performance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Well Mo Johnston can, he signed the fucking guy.

Disagree on him not being good for the nats. I think that runs counter to what most would say about his performance.
    Explain your perspective to me regarding his play for the Nats? (no condescending tone or sarcasm in my question, i am really interested to know what you think). All i see is a guy who gives the ball away then hustles to back track only to completely whiff at the man with the ball.

He pressures the ball very well, but if the opposition knows he's not going to cause them any trouble, they can just side-step him and start an odd-man rush. I see that all of the time. He has no sense of position for his role and can't get stuck in. You look at an understated player like Xabi Alonso who is slow as molasses, but would never be caught out of position, would never swing and miss at the player with the ball, and if the tackle isn't there, he does his best to kill the ball by at least getting in the way of the offensive player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    The only rants i care to hear from about Mariner and the organization are Frings, Koevermans, Frei and Kocic. JDG didn't earn the right, he didn't even earn a fraction of his contract.
    The games are the tip of the iceberg, we don't see everything else. Sure, nothing else matters to us, but it is part of the whole.