Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nwankwo Kanu?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Circumstances are different for everyone. Let's wait and see what happends. I have zero expectations, this way I wont be let down if we arent able to work anything out. We need a very good striker but I'm worried we missed our chance already.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    We'd have to offer him some ridiculous DP money to get him to leave a comfortable situation in England. Fact of the matter is that if we couldn't lure an injury prone Championship player looking to retire to Toronto, there is no chance in hell that we would be able to lure an EPL regular away from the best league in the world. Even if Pompey doesn't want him (which I don't think is the case) he would easily garner interest from atleast half the teams in Prem (especially the newly promoted ones like West Brom who have been searching madly for strikers).
    I agree. I'm just saying that you can't use Hucks as an example because the DP money can certainly turn someone's head a lot easier than a regular MLS salary.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We'd have to offer him some ridiculous DP money to get him to leave a comfortable situation in England. Fact of the matter is that if we couldn't lure an injury prone Championship player looking to retire to Toronto, there is no chance in hell that we would be able to lure an EPL regular away from the best league in the world. Even if Pompey doesn't want him (which I don't think is the case) he would easily garner interest from atleast half the teams in Prem (especially the newly promoted ones like West Brom who have been searching madly for strikers).
    The original post if taken as true, means that Kanu is looking at property in Toronto. he is a striker, 31, Nigerian (understands hard baking hot pitches) and exactly the type of player we are looking for. Utter DP fodder for Toronto if you ask me.

Portsmouth just picked up Crouchy (a better striker IMO) which means he has competition there.

Have you any idea the difference between what $1.9 million will get you in Toronto and what $1.9 million will get you in England? btw?
    If you have UK money, bringing it to canada is like doubling it's value, and it's not as if living in Portsmouth area is much more fun than living in Toronto.

I really can't see how this connects to Darren Huckerby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still remember Kanu scoring a hattrick against Chelsea wayy back....havent seen him play recently, how is he?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Corpand View Post
    I still remember Kanu scoring a hattrick against Chelsea wayy back....havent seen him play recently, how is he?
    Hasn't been scoring tonnes of goals lately but he would still rip the MLS. On a better level right now than Angel was when he came over I would say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    The original post if taken as true, means that Kanu is looking at property in Toronto. he is a striker, 31, Nigerian (understands hard baking hot pitches) and exactly the type of player we are looking for. Utter DP fodder for Toronto if you ask me.

Portsmouth just picked up Crouchy (a better striker IMO) which means he has competition there.

Have you any idea the difference between what $1.9 million will get you in Toronto and what $1.9 million will get you in England? btw?
    If you have UK money, bringing it to canada is like doubling it's value, and it's not as if living in Portsmouth area is much more fun than living in Toronto.

I really can't see how this connects to Darren Huckerby.
    The difference in cost of living can be applied to any player playing in Western Europe. Doesn't mean that they would all be interested in playing in North America. Would it make financial sense for him to accept the offer and play in the MLS? If offered DP salary, probably. However, with the same token, it would probably be more financially sensible to play in the Middle East where he can get even more money and the property prices will be even lower.

The way I see it, there could be a number of reasons as to why he's looking at property in Toronto (assuming that the rumour is even true). Maybe he's simply investing in a steadily growing yet stable housing market (wouldn't be the first football player to do so)....who knows. It just seems highly unlikely to me that he would be willing to jump straight to MLS still in his relative prime (I know he's 31 but he's not a broken down 31 like Huckerby). Or even if he is interested in playing in the MLS, it could be that he is investing for the future so that he could come to Toronto three-four years down the line. But again, I think that there is absolutely zero chance that he is even remotely interested in playing in Toronto anytime in the near future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That game was on the Score recently

If we can get him, he would score at least 10 by the end of the season.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Betwixt the waters of the Humber and the Credit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Harry says he still wants him, but they're always tight for dough. Nothing on the pompey boards to suggest otherwise (or to confirm he's signed, for that matter; side note, our board on vBulletin is way better than theirs).

Town of "I don't bitch about the beer guy obstructing my view"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fact that his agent was looking in a couple of places in the MLS should indicate something. Chivas and TFC were possible teams that the agent was looking at. Its not that this rumour is not true, just the agent's words on what Kanu is looking for. This can mean many things. $1.6 million was for a home that the agent bought because he wanted to bring his family to live in Toronto (English lad). The offer on the house may be an investment or something. And the fact that he is looking elsewhere for Kanu to play.
    Last edited by 13CP; 07-16-2008 at 05:52 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevvv View Post
    Harry says he still wants him, but they're always tight for dough. Nothing on the pompey boards to suggest otherwise (or to confirm he's signed, for that matter; side note, our board on vBulletin is way better than theirs).
    I think this is pure bullshit but....

Harry wants him, but he's gonna sit on the bench. You gotta think Defoe and Crouch will be the starting strikers. So it comes down to whether or not he fancies himself a starter because if his ego is big enough, he'll look elsewhere..
    Last edited by arbogast; 07-16-2008 at 08:00 PM.

Betwixt the waters of the Humber and the Credit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For that matter, I don't think we saw a ton of him last season. He played alot in FA Cup because Defoe couldn't, but regular EPL, he was generally subbed in, as I remember it.

And def agree, Crouch and Defoe are top guys, they also have Nugent coming off the bench, so 4 forwards may be overkill on their budget.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by arbogast View Post
    I think this is pure bullshit but....

Harry wants him, but he's gonna sit on the bench. You gotta think Defoe and Crouch will be the starting strikers. So it comes down to whether or not he fancies himself a starter because if his ego is big enough, he'll look elsewhere..
    For a striker as decorated as he is, sitting on the pompey bench is the beginning of the spiral.

In reality, he could come here on DP money and be the big story to boot.

I do despise how every player of real worth is considered 'not remotely possible' yet nobody thinks a 37 year old from Galatasaray at $4 million is utterly absurd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For a striker as decorated as he is, sitting on the pompey bench is the beginning of the spiral.

I do despise how every player of real worth is considered 'not remotely possible' yet nobody thinks a 37 year old from Galatasaray at $4 million is utterly absurd.
    We're on the same page bro. ... i really don't think he'll accept a bench position and he'll look at other options...from there anything can happen even a move abroad

Banned
    When will people learn that passion doesnt make you good at football
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always thought skill was the ultimate premium in our league (I know, brilliant isn't it). And if he came Kanu would instantly be the most naturally skilled player in the league. he'd be a treat to watch but this is a messageboard rumour. Hopefully I'm proven wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In this game... I think just about anything is possible. In fairness to most, terms of the deal length were never revealed and neither was the currency. I agree though that all of these need to be taken with a grain of salt. Most often if it smells like shit... well...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats because aside from Beckham and possibly Angel, no player has shown the desire to make the trek across the pond until they have made the very last penny from their European clubs. Would we all love to have Kanu? There should be no doubt about that. I don't fancy watching Cunnigham botch up chance after chance for the entirety of the season. However, after getting rejected from even the players who, for all intents and purposes, are finished with top level European football, it is hard to imagine how a player like Kanu, who still has a future in the EPL ahead of him, would choose TFC over a good number of teams. Even if Kanu is done at Portsmouth as a starter (and that shouldn't mean much; most EPL clubs have tremendous depth up front), there should be no doubt that there will several EPL teams offering him a starting position.

Banned
    When will people learn that passion doesnt make you good at football
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lets not forget that Kanu had a resurgence with West Brom after limited playing time at Arsenal. His has had ups and downs, but he's also shown he's willing to do the work and go to a lower team to help them progress.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would welcome this with open arms! Hope this turns out to be true!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Be nice to see that kind of skill on our team.

But don't go thinking you can come waltzing around BMO Field wearing them gawdawful looking Ar5ena1 shirts just coz he's on the team.

Portsmouth jerseys are fine.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raging Reggie View Post
    I would welcome this with open arms! Hope this turns out to be true!
    yep.
    Only issue is the source of the rumor.
    Nothing personal but (just like everyone else) having heard a great deal of rumors including newspapers etc, ill believe it when i see it.
    It would be a hell of a signing tho.
    Dude would defo excel and its an ideal DP target.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He would destroy this league, but I can't imagine how it would be true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

13CP tells no lies shirts if this is true?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raging Reggie View Post
    13CP tells no lies shirts if this is true?
    I believe.

At least I believe the story about the real estate deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe.

At least I believe the story about the real estate deal.
    Looks like its going to be me and you ExiledRed at the next game with the "13CP tells no lies about the princess margret house On the market for $1.9 million" shirts on. Come say hello everyone......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ I used to make real estate brochures for similarly priced housing in Toronto, as a side job.

$1.9 million here gets you a massive underground swimming pool with marble pillars and high domed ceiling, it gets you sweeping staircases, multiple kitchens, stables, private cinemas, games rooms you could open to the public and make huge cash on, fucking everything.

In the south of England, you get a whirlpool bath, ancient wood creaking staircases, a kitchenette, a second living room and a dartboard.

just to illustrate an earlier point I made

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ so it sounds like your telling me Kanu then is comming

ExiledRed tells no lies!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't see it. He probably makes $80,000 a week right now (40,000 pounds), so even DP money might not be enough. Premiership players are weeeeeelllll paid.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am on the record having said that the $4 million price tag for Sukur could not possibly be true. Even $1 million wouldn't make sense, at that age, strike rate and marketing value. Mo is a Scot!

Neither Sukur or Kanu would do anything for TV ratings here, or make TFC an attractive opponent for friendlies - sorry but it's an obvious point that seems to have been lost in these discussions. If you're going to go on about $3-4 million/year players, forget about it if it's not a known name.

Now if Kanu were willing to come for something like $1.0-1.5 million, then MLSE wouldn't need the same type of Beckham-type business case to bring him over...
    Last edited by ensco; 07-17-2008 at 07:23 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Can't see it. He probably makes $80,000 a week right now (40,000 pounds), so even DP money might not be enough. Premiership players are weeeeeelllll paid.
    Can someone explain to me, are these weekly salaries in Europe paid 52 weeks a year, or just during the season (ie around 40 weeks a year)?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”