Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    Did we(Mariner) traded that pick for Haslli?
    Nope 2014 superdraft. That's why I never got why people freaked out about that so much. Unless of course we're here next September doing the same talk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^no, we traded the 2014 first overall pick. not that it matters since Mariner will just pick the hardest working player at the draft with the first pick

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Something definitely went on there. Remember how long it took to get the process done and how there were a bunch of rumors mid way?

If I had to guess, I'd say that Klinsman came in and Anselmi was probably set with the idea of having Dasovic and Cochrane run the show. At that point it was probably consulting 101: getting paid to provide the solution that the dumb client wants, rather than what's right. Klinsman brings in a bunch of other realistic candidates just to do diligence, but TFC doesn't pay much attention because they are set with the idea they started with. Cochrane fucks up the Dero / Celtic episode and Anselmi has a re-think about what to do. TFC is in the awkward position of either re-approaching the candidates they rejected previously or finding someone new on short notice. Winter / De Clerk / Mariner get put together on short notice and the marketing department takes it from there.

Pure speculation, but I just have a really hard time believing they went through an extensive process start to finish and that's what they came up with. Better names were being tossed around the rumor mill previously and they eventually went away... You have to wonder why things turned out the way they did.
    Try this,Mariner got hired by Cochrane before Klinsman idea came around,since they are stuck with Mariner they go for the cheap one and out of contract and hire Winter,that way they can afford two coaches/Technical directors/players managers/input title here.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Did we(Mariner) traded that pick for Haslli?

No, that's 2014.

In 2013, we traded the 2nd round pick to Dallas for Jeremy Hall. We also traded an unspecified draft pick (round and year) to NYRB for Amerikwa. That could be in 2013.
    Last edited by Pookie; 09-13-2012 at 01:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    Thought the same thing.

Unfortunately this coaching staff (and the majority of the hardcore fanbase here) wouldn't appreciate a player like him.
    I don't know about that, how can any football fan not appreciate an elegant, sublime, gifted player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yesterday was possibly the worst game I watched all season. It baffles me that this team apparently doesn't get the concept of passing and running into space. Everyone is stationary and afraid to move it seems. HORRIBLE football on display. I don't know if the tactics dictate such play or whatnot but it was absolute garbage. I'd much rather still be watching Winter try to build something than Mariner put out a sluggish side that is painful to watch. I'd love to renew but I just don't see any direction for this team and it's gotten to the point where it's just plain ridiculous and I'm unable to justify the cost and time spent on this anymore. I may be better suited supporting from a television next season...sad really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try this,Mariner got hired by Cochrane before Klinsman idea came around,since they are stuck with Mariner they go for the cheap one and out of contract and hire Winter,that way they can afford two coaches/Technical directors/players managers/input title here.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Cochrane hired Mariner to be the head coach before Klinsmann reported. Then through the Klinsmann process they found Winter, hired him and overruled Cochrane, and found a new title for Mariner. Also wouldn't be surprised if, in finding Mariner a new title, they promised him he was the coach in waiting if it went bad with Winter.

In reading about Mariner's time at Plymouth, I always wondered why he left an assistant coaching position (even if he was demoted to it), to take a player development position. That's really a backward move if what he wanted was to be a head coach (which is clearly what he wanted). And remember, there were rumours he was the head coach prior to the announcement of Winter. I really don't think he was initially hired to be director of player development. Pure speculation though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    I don't know about that, how can any football fan not appreciate an elegant, sublime, gifted player.
    Look at the wall of fame.

LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look at the wall of fame.

LOL
    True

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    There are a whole lot of people who just like style and/or name over substance.

Example - best technical player we had this year - Soolsma. Lots of people liked him but more than a fair share went on about him being slow as hell, can't score, being useless. He was on plenty of threads where folks talked about who to dump from TFC. He is exactly what any team in this league can use, especially ours. Great moves, smart, and almost always beat his man on the wing despite being slower than pretty much any fullback he'd line up against.

On the other side of the coin you have Frings and Ecks/RJ.

Frings, who played very poorly all season, possibly due to injury but people still go on about him being the best player we have and chant Frings, Frings, Frings, Frings over and over and go on about how he is awesome and how his free kicks are our best chance to score, etc. All due to his name.

And Eckersley or Johnson, both similar in the fact that they give 110% every match and make their fair share of errors. They will provide a moment or two of flash each per match and that little bit of flash will override some people's objectivity and make the errors, no matter how costly, go unnoticed.

TO loves two types of players; big name flashy types and lunch bucket types who work their asses off. Everyone else is just filler.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if Cochrane hired Mariner to be the head coach before Klinsmann reported. Then through the Klinsmann process they found Winter, hired him and overruled Cochrane, and found a new title for Mariner. Also wouldn't be surprised if, in finding Mariner a new title, they promised him he was the coach in waiting if it went bad with Winter.

In reading about Mariner's time at Plymouth, I always wondered why he left an assistant coaching position (even if he was demoted to it), to take a player development position. That's really a backward move if what he wanted was to be a head coach (which is clearly what he wanted). And remember, there were rumours he was the head coach prior to the announcement of Winter. I really don't think he was initially hired to be director of player development. Pure speculation though.
    if that is indeed the case then Winter never stood a chance to begin with. tough when you have to rely on a person to teach you the ropes of a league, and obtain the players you need when that same person is gunning for your job.
    that makes one wonder if Mariners plan at any point was to have things succeed under Winter.
    im not one for conspiracy theories, but its hard to imagine Mariner not going for the top spot if this was indeed the case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha I've pretty much thought that since day one. Look it pretty much already happened with the Dasovic/Cummins debacle - so we already know at the 11th hour they can change their minds and turn what looked to be a lock upside down. People were convinced it was Mariner who was going to be the head coach - 100% - but as many thought, it was probably Cochrane who pulled that gem together and after the De Ro biz Tom was probably not feeling good about the situation (and likely on the hook for a Mariner contract) whipped this Dream Team together. Money well spent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think San Jose would argue that. Size and athleticism count for a lot in this league, and they've been very effective late in games with lengart and Gordon on together.

Besides a) Hassli is a poacher, not a target man. He's an opportunist who is better with feet than head, and b) depending on allocation allowance I'm not sure he'd have to be a dp.

I think Hassli is underrated and any time a team inbaleague of MLS' calibre can put two guys of that quality out there together, they should.

The problem I see with it is their relative frailty.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    b) depending on allocation allowance I'm not sure he'd have to be a dp.
    Probably not but I would want him to take a significant pay cut and save the allocation. His numbers over the past two seasons, combined with his age and health, to me say he is no more than a $200K player. Maybe $250 tops. I don't want us dumping allocation and cap space around to magically become competitive for a season and then have it all crumble when the allocation meter runs out ala Mo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he would demand a raise if anything to stay here. Why would any player with no connection to the team take a pay cut to play here. I doubt he even wanted to come here in the first place. De Guzman was a player that wwe had a chance of signing for sub-DP money and instead they gave him away for Weideman

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

notice who created our goal, again. Lambe and Silva. respect this duo.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    I think he would demand a raise if anything to stay here. Why would any player with no connection to the team take a pay cut to play here. I doubt he even wanted to come here in the first place. De Guzman was a player that wwe had a chance of signing for sub-DP money and instead they gave him away for Weideman
    If he wants to still play profession football he may have no choice. Who's gonna pay him near $1m to play? No one because he isn't worth it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally got around to watching Mariners post game press conference.

For the love of God. Can a reporter please ask him a simple question:

"Paul, do you think your tactical approach will win you games...and if so, why?"

He complains that the link up play was poor. No fucking kidding bud. You're forcing your team to do all they're creating in a 30 yard space from midfield to the top of the box. You're asking a guy to fight for 50/50 balls while his teammates have to flat out guess where they should be because it's near impossible to expect guys to win balls against central defenders and defensive midfielders AND make a proper first decision when the players they should have as outlets have no idea where the ball is going to go. They have no clue where to be. They spend the whole game running back into their own half and then having to run back to midfield and knock down balls with players all over them.

The opposition never has to worry. The opposition is happy to see TFC playing this way. It's soooooo easy. And when Chicago won the ball they knew exactly where it was going...two and three moves ahead.

We win the ball and guys put their heads down and run towards goal. NOBODY supports their teammate when he's won the ball.

I can't believe how much this looks like a BAD rep youth team.

Then he drones on about seizing your opportunity when given the chance.....wow. If I were a player like Avila I'd tell him to fuck off. Flat out. Avila is supposed to sit there, totally marginalized and then you expect him to want to play for you? Are you joking?

Guys...when he talked about wanting the players to play balls into the "channel", whats he referring to?

Lastly, he needs to STFU with his Ipswich this, and Highbury that. I don't give a fuck what he'd do if he was out there. He's a dinosaur. He has no credibility with me. He talks about being a professional.....pfff.

There is almost nothing professional about this guy....except maybe the studs he wears on the touch line. He rants and raves.....makes decisions for the players out there (and they're shitty decisions at that) and he can't even try and be objective about what he sees out there.

We "dominated the play after conceding the first goal"?????

What?

It's funny that he says that everybody has to be accountable....but never once mentions himself.

Please journalists....grow a pair and ask him if he thinks he's doing a good job.
    Last edited by v00d00daddy; 09-13-2012 at 04:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    If he wants to still play profession football he may have no choice. Who's gonna pay him near $1m to play? No one because he isn't worth it.
    Maybe not a million, but with an EU passport and playing in the spot he does he can easily earn low-mid hundreds in one of the peripheral leagues in Europe. He's going to be out of our price range if we don't offer up a DP slot.

There are a lot of guys who are on their last stop before not playing professional football on TFC, but Hassli isn't one of them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Paul, do you think your tactical approach will win you games...and if so, why?"

He complains that the link up play was poor. No fucking kidding bud. You're forcing your team to do all they're creating in a 30 yard space from midfield to the top of the box. You're asking a guy to fight for 50/50 balls while his teammates have to flat out guess where they should be because it's near impossible to expect guys to win balls against central defenders and defensive midfielders AND make a proper first decision when the players they should have as outlets have no idea where the ball is going to go. They have no clue where to be. They spend the whole game running back into their own half and then having to run back to midfield and knock down balls with players all over them.

The opposition never has to worry. The opposition is happy to see TFC playing this way. It's soooooo easy. And when Chicago won the ball they knew exactly where it was going...two and three moves ahead.

We win the ball and guys put their heads down and run towards goal. NOBODY supports their teammate when he's won the ball.

Then he drones on about seizing your opportunity when given the chance.....wow. If I were a player like Avila I'd tell him to fuck off. Flat out. Avila is supposed to sit there, totally marginalized and then you expect him to want to play for you? Are you joking?

Guys...when he talked about wanting the players to play balls into the "channel", whats he referring to?

Lastly, he needs to STFU with his Ipswich this, and Highbury that. I don't give a fuck what he'd do if he was out there. He's a dinosaur. He has no credibility with me. He talks about being a professional.....pfff.

There is almost nothing professional about this guy....except maybe the studs he wears on the touch line. He rants and raves.....makes decisions for the players out there (and they're shitty decisions at that) and he can't even try and be objective about what he sees out there.

What?

It's funny that he says that everybody has to be accountable....but never once mentions himself.

Please journalists....grow a pair and ask him if he thinks he's doing a good job.
    some rants are unreadable but i enjoyed this one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post

Just to add to your theory, I think the 3-year extension was written into his contract. Making him head coach triggered the 3-year extension.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nonc View Post
    some rants are unreadable but i enjoyed this one.
    Haha thanks. I need to stop with the stream of consciousness stuff.

Do you happen to know what Mariner means by asking the players to "play the ball into the channel"?

Is he referring to a particular part of the field? It's not a term I've heard before

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    my point isn't that he wouldn't accept a smaller contract, my point is that he might not accept a smaller contract from TFC. If a team with any sort of a reputation (and it's not hard to have a better rep than TFC) offers him the same amount as TFC, he would have no reason to stay here. To put it into perspective, you play in europe for 500k for a team that barely survived relegation. That team then offers you a 200k contract. meanwhile, a team that was competing at the top of the league and secured a EL spot offers you the same 200k. Would you not go to the more competitive team in a heartbeat? I sure as hell would.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, it's the open space designed to be played into with long passes, usually by wingers, forwards and fullbacks, although tactically there should be channels created in every area of the pitch. Open space by design, basically, to take advantage of holes in coverage or mismatches in speed .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha thanks. I need to stop with the stream of consciousness stuff.

Do you happen to know what Mariner means by asking the players to "play the ball into the channel"?

Is he referring to a particular part of the field? It's not a term I've heard before
    The channel was always the gap between the central defenders and the full-back when I played but having seen Mariner's tactics he probably means the English channel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Yeah, it's the open space designed to be played into with long passes, usually by wingers, forwards and fullbacks, although tactically there should be channels created in every area of the pitch. Open space by design, basically, to take advantage of holes in coverage or mismatches in speed .
    Oh okay. That makes sense. Seems like football 101...given a name. I thought exploiting space and match ups was elementary football. It's not something you should have to teach pros.

Quote Originally Posted by Rene Kingsriver View Post
    The channel was always the gap between the central defenders and the full-back when I played but having seen Mariner's tactics he probably means the English channel
    This is more specific. Might be an issue with TFC considering they have a bad midfielder playing at RB and central defenders that treat the ball like a grenade. Lol

It's no surprise that Morgan looks so frustrated. One of the youngest guys on the team seems like the only defender who understands his role in advancing the ball and linking with the creative players in the midfield (of which we only have 1.5 in Silva and sometimes Lambe)
    Last edited by v00d00daddy; 09-13-2012 at 06:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys complain complain complain, and good reason but you guys are still so stuppid to go and watch the games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfc2008 View Post
    You guys complain complain complain, and good reason but you guys are still so stuppid to go and watch the games.
    I love the irony that "stupid" is spelled wrong here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What?

I oft find myself just nodding in agreement at all your posts. Slight bro crush developing here.

As for your last comment, paging Mr Molinaro. Where is my favourite TFC reporter? I know he'll do it. The rest of the media is so far up TFC's ass you can't expect anything legit from them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post
    In an article a year ago, the club claimed they announce tickets scanned. See linked article:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/stor...ttendance.html
    I see no claim by TFC of tickets scanned in this article? The article makes an unattributed claim that 20,000 tickets were sold, while "attendance" was announced at 16,300.

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    What you are missing is that attendance doesn't include all tickets sold. Enough people with inside information at the club have said this over the years.

There seemed to be a fair number of tickets sold in the non-season ticket areas. Clearly there were more than 14,623 tickets sold.
    Enough inside people??? Just open your eyes and look at the stands!!! I have no idea what you are talking about - last night there is no way BMO was 1/2 full - 1/3 full? 8000 bums in seats was the absolute tops - look at the game in six - there is more empty than full by far - take your time to review - I bet there were not 8K there last night. If there are 8000 bums in the seats, that leave 6600 tickets unaccounted for - that is the season ticket holders who paid for the game and didn't show up - pretty easy to see what they are up to, with their "attendance" numbers. I stand by my math - there are only about 14,000 Season tickets (if that!) sold for last night's game , plus the folk in 104 and the odd giveaway. If someone has a better number for season ticket holders, please make sure you somehow account for at least 6000 ghosts who magically got counted for last nights game, but some how got lost on the way to their seats. Washroom line ups???