View Poll Results: Are you going to renew your seats?

Voters
260. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sure, why not. what the hell else am i gonna do?

71 27.31%
  • Hells no! not giving these MOFO's another penny!

113 43.46%
  • maybe... no , yes.... I'm sooo confused.

76 29.23%
Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CommradePolski View Post
    You guys really seem to forget one thing.

The MAIN reason all the season tickets sold out in season 1 was because of David fucking Beckham.

People bought them because of him.
    I don't agree. I think there is a genuine interest for football in the city and MLSE tapped into this. In any case, Beckham wasn't in the league then.
    Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
    Roy Keane

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with you Brian. the popularity of football in Toronto had little or nothing to do with Becks. we had real support that is beating beaten to death by the organization.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There was already a groundswell of support for this team before Beckham joined LA. Yes, seasons tix sold increased after his announcement, but those were more casual/corporate seats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    There was already a groundswell of support for this team before Beckham joined LA. Yes, seasons tix sold increased after his announcement, but those were more casual/corporate seats.
    These people would have come anyway, regardless of Becks. The atmosphere was the draw then, most people had never experienced anything like that, and it was that atmosphere that got them in. They might not have been there for the first few matches - but any seasons left would have been snapped up shortly after. Those that were there in year one creating the atompshere were most likely not there due to Becks.

You could also construct a pretty easy argument that things might have worked out even better without Becks signing. I can't help but wonder how many seasons were snapped up by scalpers due to Becks. Pretty easy money for them when they could by a supporters end seat, recoup the whole cost from a single game, and still have the rest of the season to sell. I bet there were a lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will say though - the hype around Becks did start the fear of scarcity.

I bought my seasons after he signed. I had always planned on buying them (I put my initial deposit down but never bought at that time). My plan was to wait until I could see the stadium first hand and decide where I wanted to sit (I never planned on the supporters end as I hate watching football from behind the goal. I wanted to see how much better some of the more expensive seats were over the light grey's on the side to see if it was worth it or not) Once Becks signed though and tickets started selling, I figured I'd better act as I didn't want to get left with the expensive seats as my only option.

I know several others that were in the same boat and did the same.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Same boat as Brad.

I was debating between 112 and 113, by the time I decided mainly due to some cash situations at the time, I was too late had to settle for some more expensive seats though a) I was able to get into 112/113 in the first season by trading, swapping seats and b) eventually moving my seasons into the south end.

Beckham had no bearing on my decision.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well, it looks like Beckham was responsible for upwards of 7,000 season tickets sold in Toronto. This is an excerpt from an article in 2007 on the issue: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/stor...y-beckham.html

Impact felt in Toronto
    The ripple effect of Beckham's signing was quickly felt north of the border, where Toronto FC reported 500 calls and 100 ticket sales Thursday morning alone.
    And seven TV cameras were on hand to record Toronto FC's reaction to the Beckham deal.
    "It's terrific for the league, it's terrific for us. The phones have already been ringing off the hook," Tom Anselmi, chief operating officer of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment, told reporters.
    The expansion team already has a solid start to its ticket campaign, with about 7,000 season tickets sold.

That said, all we have is a timeline that looks like this:

Pre-Beckham - 7,000 seats
    Event: Beckham signs
    Post-Signgin - 7,000 more seats.

Maybe some of those 7,000 would have bought with or without Beckham but it is clear he had an influence.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who cares if Beckham was or was not the reason.

The fact still remains this team had complete sell outs of games and season seats and now thousands are walking away. That's the issue. They were gifted a fanbase and have dropped the ball in the worst way possible.
    Last edited by Suds; 09-20-2012 at 01:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post

Maybe some of those 7,000 would have bought with or without Beckham but it is clear he had an influence.
    I don't think anyone would argue the David Beckham signing didn't give this team a huge push at the start. That being said, once we had the spotlight, was the attention on David Beckham or TFC? Did it really matter what got people's attention now that we had it?

Beckham didn't even play in the first scheduled LA game, even though that's what it was billed as. While there were a small number upset fans, I don't think most people cared at that point, it was all about the atmosphere down at BMO and people were hopeful in expecting a decent team down the road. That's a totally different outcome than what happened in other cities where Beckham was marketed. FCD played LA and lost 6-5, it was some of the most entertaining soccer I'd ever seen. The crowd booed at the end of the game because Beckham was out injured and didn't play.

All this will go down in the history of the development of the game in North America. Some of it may be hokey, but it's long lasting. Beckham may have lit the fuse to ignite the market but the conditions were there and the timing was right. Anyways, point being this has all happened now and it's not like things are moving backwards for MLS. And even in Toronto the market for football continues to move forward, even if TFC is stuck in reverse.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I could see people paying more attention to the league because of Beckham, or taking in LA games because of his presence... but to purchase season tickets to see him face your home team once ?

Madness.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember TFC reporting a number of 7900 season tickets prior to the Beckham announcement.

The thing is, I think that if I ever stop renewing, I will probably never become a season ticket holder again. I've already grown used to only attending 4-5 home games a season now. I think that may become the new normal for me. That thought would have been insane in 2007.

I was always a big Jays and Leafs fan. I like the Raptors too. I was never a season ticket holder of any of those teams. But I do enjoy watching live sports. TFC was a novelty because it appeared to be affordable. But maybe it was a little insane to be attending about 20 games for one team.

The recent news about the management at TFC will make it easy for me to leave. Probably only 2007 pricing will bring me back, as long as there are no strings attached.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    I could see people paying more attention to the league because of Beckham, or taking in LA games because of his presence... but to purchase season tickets to see him face your home team once ?

Madness.
    That's not why his signing drove SSH sales. Beckham was validation, was cool. So corporate coolseeker types piled in, and brought some fencesitters along, who thought they might never get tickets.

This is the hand the FO was dealt. Did Beirne et al count their lucky stars, and worry about how to keep these obviously less sticky SSHs? Uh are you kidding?

They created the essentially nonexistent waiting list (given their general practices re attendance, they probably overtstated the numbers in this from the beginning, and it was by definition mostly composed of people who mostly were also cool seekers), did ransom packs to soak whatever hardcores were on that list, cranked pricing for everyone else, and loudly preened about how smart they were. How they must have laughed behind closed doors.

Meanwhile the coolseekers move on. This is what they're into this year, expensive tickets to see big name speakers at for profit book clubs, this outfit started in Toronto this year:
    http://www.vancouversun.com/business...206/story.html

Believe me, every last person in the FO thinks that if the team didn't suck so badly, this would all be fine. They really have no idea why people are leaving and not coming back.
    Last edited by ensco; 09-20-2012 at 02:02 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^I suspect the coolseekers would have moved on regardless, as that is the nature. But that said, I know a lot of people giving up seasons and all those folks are real, genuine fans of the game that are giving up on the fact that the team is terrible and doing nothing to improve. It's being sick of the mismanagement and constant player turnover. That's another other major complaint I hear - it's impossible to build any sort of emotional attachment to the team and the players because they change everyone out so often.

I actually don't hear complaints about pricing from any other quarters than here. But most people I'm talking to are professionals with a good disposable income, and not in the most expensive seats.

That is a huge problem - when you have people that love the game and just want to watch a decent game of football on the weekend walking away.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    it's impossible to build any sort of emotional attachment to the team and the players because they change everyone out so often.
    I hear this too.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got the info announcing the announce date of the info. Or something like that.

2013 season ticket renewal info will be out in the last few weeks of October. Perhaps they're hoping for a few more wins by then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I say this every season, for the most part my attachment to this team is for two reasons; 1) I love football. 2) I love this city. The team has done very little else to attach me to this team. Yes, some players I have grown to admire Danny Dichio, being first and foremost, but for the most part, again as I say over and over again, give me another football team in this city, and I will be more then happy to support it. TFC on its own has not given me many reasons to be loyal. At one point I was loyal because I was RPB, but then many in the RPB left, so that changed as well.
    Last edited by trane; 09-20-2012 at 04:47 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    2013 season ticket renewal info will be out in the last few weeks of October. Perhaps they're hoping for a few more wins by then.

or they don't want to give us the info until after the season ends so nothing will happen in the stands (ie if anyone shows up)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post
    Probably only 2007 pricing will bring me back, as long as there are no strings attached.
    I'm of the same mindset. As I highly doubt that will happen, I voted NO in the poll.

edit: let me rephrase that. IF TFC fires Mariner AND hires a replacement that I am confident can actually do a good job, I may actually renew.

But I highly doubt that will happen either, so I still vote NO in the poll.
    Last edited by craz11; 09-20-2012 at 04:35 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have received some questions from Season Seat Holders asking when they will hear about 2013 Season Seats Renewals. We are in the process of finalizing the 2013 Season Ticket Package and putting the finishing touches on the renewal website.

You should expect to receive your 2013 Renewal details in the last two weeks of October. In the meantime, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact your Toronto FC Service Representative at 416-360-GOAL (4625).
    Annoucement just sent.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by craz11 View Post
    I'm of the same mindset. As I highly doubt that will happen, I voted NO in the poll.

edit: let me rephrase that. IF TFC fires Mariner and Cochrane AND hires a President of soccer operations that I am confident can actually do a good job, I may actually renew.

But I highly doubt that will happen either, so I still vote NO in the poll.
    Fixed your post

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

* slaps head *

(if someone already pointed this out somewhere, sorry ....)

The Mastercard free jersey promotion is not quite what it seems.

Originally I thought, if you're renewing anyway, why not sign up it? And if you are not, why bother? So far as it goes, it's simple.

But the wily genius of the thing is that it is a way in aggregate to test for, and incent, likelihood to renew, without revealing anything about price.

The more people take the card, the higher prices will be next year!
    Last edited by ensco; 09-20-2012 at 07:02 PM.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    * slaps head *

(if someone already pointed this out somewhere, sorry ....)

The Mastercard free jersey promotion is not quite what it seems.

Originally I thought, if you're renewing anyway, why not sign up it? And if you are not, why bother? So far as it goes, it's simple.

But the wily genius of the thing is that it is a way in aggregate to test for, and incent, likelihood to renew, without revealing anything about price.

The more people take the card, the higher prices will be next year!

I thought this was there way to gauge interest from the start... I thought everyone suspected this also, it being MLSE and all..... I applied for the card yet have no interest in renewing....just to hopefully screw with them a little bit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I applied for the card too, just in case I decided to renew. Was planning to put it in my pile of other useless credit cards (Ikea, HBC, Best Buy, etc.). I kind of regret that now if it helps keep prices high.

I'm not sure what to think of this delay.

My one conspiracy theory is that they are actually searching for a new management team and would like to have it in place before they send out the renewal notices. The kind of team that would restore hope. This weeks announcement on CSN about Mariner + Cochrane was a smokescreen, much like the Cochrane + Dasovic rumour weeks before Winter was hired. Of course I think this is too optimistic.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

who really cares any more.... I really hope they shit the bed and get the new renewal pricing all wrong so that thousands give up on these assholes.....its the only way they will learn and even then I doubt it.... so go ahead give us the drunk coach and Cock*** and please by all means hold the line on pricing for three years (woohoo) and throw in a free hot dog....with that line up i will even pay for Marlie tickets again......FU TFC FO......rant over cont proper disc.....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I will be supporting local football next season (in terms of attending in person), but the way things stand now, it will be the Lynx.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will be supporting local football next season (in terms of attending in person), but the way things stand now, it will be the Lynx.
    Yeesh...Mississauga is far.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so ticket info to be released the last 2 weeks of october????

WTF you cock sucking leaches, you should put your reps on a shorter leash as they were telling people that info was coming out 2 weeks ago.

another clusterfuck TFC FO, just add it to the pile of other fuck ups

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They will release it the last 2 weeks in October, and make you have to commit by November 15th. Also by having it done so late, they will probably take away the 5 payment (20% a month) and go back to the old way (4 payments - 25%).

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont go to BMO for the flops on the pitch.
    I go for the lads in the stands.

I relate TFC to STEVENAGE FC, my uncle lives on the same street as the ground.
    DECADES of mis-management went on, the most ridiculous bullshit you can think of, and just now they are on the ascendancy.

We are what 6 years old franchise? Yes there are problems, HUGE ones, and we as fans have been mistreated, but think of the abuse some SUPPORTERS have taken over 5, 10, 15, 20 year periods. . . . . we got it easy. Will we ever get back to the experience we helped create in 2008? prob not, but the minging and whining will increase, I have no doubt of that. adn that sucks, it made it more fun to go.

So see you wonderful people in the stands next year 100%.
    deserve it or not, TFC will see the FULL FUCKING NORB in the stands for years and years to come.
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    so ticket info to be released the last 2 weeks of october????

WTF you cock sucking leaches, you should put your reps on a shorter leash as they were telling people that info was coming out 2 weeks ago.

another clusterfuck TFC FO, just add it to the pile of other fuck ups
    Even the email from the club, signed by Paul Beirne, shilling for Mastercards, stated that the renewal notices would be out at the end of September.

The delay is really intriguing though. You figure with demand as low as it is, they would want as much time as possible to sell season tickets.