Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorCanSoc View Post
    Next year is none. You can get tickets for half price before each game....
    You won't next season if the SSH total is around 8K.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If there's only 8k SSH then TFC better do something. The place will be empty. They have almost killed support in Toronto. Which is pretty amazing because we were the best in the league. Soon after that soccer will once again die in our fair city.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    This is very true. There is no scalper market in places like Dallas because there is no big supply of excess seats sold.

Next year, assuming the SSH count drops, you will mostly have to buy TFC seats through the primary market (ie from the team).
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This is very true. There is no scalper market in places like Dallas because there is no big supply of excess seats sold.

Next year, assuming the SSH count drops, you will mostly have to buy TFC seats through the primary market (ie from the team).
    The shirt is worth more than a hundred bucks? Really, that is bull shit. If sold at Walmart they would marked down to $4 and sold with 10 pairs of sport socks for $7.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    I wonder how many will fall for this ?

note - 19.9% interest rate - bwahahahahahahaha ! you'll probably spend more than $120 in interest on your ST purchase by the time you've paid it back.

Not this guy.

I laughed my ass off when I got this email.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Hahaha, so when Montreal does it a lot of people were applauding it coupled with their price drop.

If TFC does it, then the cynical response takes over.

I don't care either way about this promotion, but the negativity here is just amazing.
    There is no price drop though.

That would make all the difference in the world.

Also, the negativity is well founded and well bred by ML$E.

You reap what you sow.

You have me wondering if some one at ML$E is in your ear.

With all due respect to you and to the RPB which you represent (including myself), the kibosh on the anti-Anselmi campaign coupled with this and other remarks has me baffled. It seems like your defending ML$E. Like you want to give them a fair shake like its year one.

We are in year six and approaching year seven having repeated many of the same mistakes many times over.

I don't see why cutting them any slack is called for.
    Last edited by Alonso; 09-07-2012 at 09:00 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh man....

it took me all of 3 seconds to decode the process.

get card, renew tickets on card and get free jersey, then immediately;
    a) pay off card 1 with card 2 (possibly gaining air miles or other points at the same time)
    b) pay off card 1 with a lower interest line of credit,
    c) pay it off with cash and enjoy your 'almost' free jersey.

Am I mad that TFC and their bank sponsor have a credit card? Yes, but less angry at that than I am at having the Skydome renamed for their corporate sponsor.

Really it's not something that concerns me.

It's an independent item from the team's performance (or lack of)
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and if people want to get mad over something....

What if the jersey looks like shit? Anyone signing just to get the jersey is essentially doing it sight unseen. I can see some people going for the offer, but not without knowing what the kit looks like.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's not really about the card, though.

It's the renewal campaign.

How do we sell the prospect of watching another year of this crap to the masses ? Give away a shirt ? But that's a revenue loss of $120 per shirt. Get BMO to cover it ? How ? Tell the customers that to receive this offer they have to use a BMO Mastercard that has 20% interest ? They'll recover their costs in no time. Genius.

It's them appearing to be giving concessions whilst not really doing so.
    It's so fucking cynical! And not on our part.

It's probably not as cynical as the rumours that ML$E are going to offer half off concessions before kick-off which they only take 25% revenue from, thereby sticking it into the city's ass for fronting the money to pay for BMO in which the city fought for 75% concession revenue.

Basically, if ML$E does this. They will make the city take the revenue loss for this offer and come away looking like roses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    oh man....

it took me all of 3 seconds to decode the process.

get card, renew tickets on card and get free jersey, then immediately;
    a) pay off card 1 with card 2 (possibly gaining air miles or other points at the same time)
    b) pay off card 1 with a lower interest line of credit,
    c) pay it off with cash and enjoy your 'almost' free jersey.

Am I mad that TFC and their bank sponsor have a credit card? Yes, but less angry at that than I am at having the Skydome renamed for their corporate sponsor.

Really it's not something that concerns me.

It's an independent item from the team's performance (or lack of)
    This isn't my point. Or Tobor's either, if I may assume.

This offer is cynical.

That's the point.

It's meant to pull wool over people's eyes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    and if people want to get mad over something....

What if the jersey looks like shit? Anyone signing just to get the jersey is essentially doing it sight unseen. I can see some people going for the offer, but not without knowing what the kit looks like.

True dat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Some people just want to see anything connected with TFC as negative.

Some people seem to just want TFC to fail.

And then complain about it.

On a TFC Supporters Forum.

I think maybe you misunderstood Tobor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Phil ; Sure, pay off the balance of the season tickets right away and come out ahead by a shirt.

This works as long as you never use the card again. How many people are likely to do that ?
    Virtually none.

And the credit card company knows this.

As does ML$E.

Realistically. This is actually a tax on TFC fans who fall under the median income for Canadians who might be struggling to renew this year but are now presented with a way out.

And, it's sold as a free Jersey... Everybody wins right?

I hope most people see through this, but knowing that I've fallen for this shit in the past in other contexts and seen many others do so as well. I am not optimistic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AL-MO View Post
    I could care less about this card.

But yeah I'll 'applaud' Montreal. But for their GA supporter section and dropping their STH prices. Its laughable when you hear some of the stuff coming out of ours and how some things "aren't feasible" and other BS like that.

EDIT: Especially given the state of things.
    EXACLTY.

ANYTHING IS FEASIBLE!

Especially when you OWN the team AND MAKE the RULES!

Rub the genie and make three fucking wishes for fuck sakes.

/end rant.

Good night.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting a new home jersey? $120.

Renewing pair of season tickets? $1,000 upwards.

Replacing upper management with people who know how to run a football team and care about the game? Priceless.

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there's MasterCard...
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by TorCanSoc

Nice try Dim, but trying to sew FUD (Fear Uncertainty and Doubt) will not work - not only will the 8K STH be dumping tickets but you will have a very highly motivated FO dumping tickets EVERYWHERE. You think the Travelzoo cut rate tickets or the free giveaways of this year will subside with 8K in STH sales??? Dream on - a STH won't be able to give away tickets next year either. It is a fantasy to think that next year, somehow, TFC tickets will become a valuable commodity - just look at the attendance this year - and that is with almost completely prepaid tickets. Mark my words - you will be able to pick up tickets for $2 next year - I easily got them for $10 this year....

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phonzo View Post
    Actually I doubt this is it - we are so pissed off about everything on this board common sense has seemingly walked out the door. All this promotion is some fancy marketting promotion by a sponsor leveraging their contract. Nothing more nothing less....

BMO a sponsor of the team is using their sponsorship to reach out to the teams fans to offer them THE OPTION of credit card and a jersey. Nothing more - nothing less. We forget that at times business operations are separate from team operations.....
    Again, I think you're missing it. Who's the target of this promotion? Existing seat holders. Not the casuals, not the maybe-will-buy-this-year-for-the-first-timers. You. You're the target. What this tells you, is that this is a perk you're getting for being a season seat holder. Consequently, you probably should be asking yourself if you'll be receiving any others. I'm saying it's unlikely. I'm saying MLSE is saying, "Here, you want something? Take this card, renew with it, and we'll give you a jersey. That's what you get. Lower prices? A price freeze? This isn't Montreal."

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well said tiberius.

You want to talk revenue impact? Here: my two friends and I bought season tickets last year. We paid even the criminal surcharge of paying for MLS Cup tickets (we didn't mind, it was cold, and all of Chad Barrett, Nana, Maicon Santos, Jake Peterson and others were seated in the row behind us). We bought concessions. Lots of them. Many tipsy, tipsy concessions. We waited with excitement for every time the boys played, regardless whether it was the league or the CCL shitshow (because of the refereeing, you know).

Now?

We dropped our tickets. We boycott and preload at other bars. This year, I've been to 3 games. All tickets bought for less than face from desperate sellers who won't be around next year.

Those of you renewing, enjoy the free MasterCard jerseys.

Betwixt the waters of the Humber and the Credit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy fuck, what a bunch of moronic crap.

20% is the going rate for BMO mastercard AND TD Visa - lower rates are available elsewhere, or for an additional fee, but it's not a special MLSE scam. The card being offered is the same as the standard BMO MC airmiles or cashback card, with the TFC logo instead of a stylised globe. The jersey - described as the new[ly designed] 2013 TFC jersey - has a value of $120 at retail. That's the MSRP of a non-replica jersey, whether TFC, Impact or WC. This is a blatant attempt to get people to sign up for a mastercard, not their last and final offer to sell season's tickets. They've seen how many people pay for CONCACAF CL, and they've seen how many of the paid tickets actually get used on game days, and they're probably shitting themselves.

Renew or not, this is about a mastercard with the TFC logo, with the possibility of a free jersey if I decide to renew. Maybe I'll immediately retire the card and put it away with my Simpsons, Woolco, and Eatons credit cards.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I too was a bit confused, because 19.9% is the regular going rate for a ton of credit cards, unless you get a "higher tiered" card with a lower rate, that usually has an annual fee. It's no more of a "scam" than credit cards are by their very nature. And as you said - $120 is the MSRP for the "officially licensed" shirts, which is what they are offering here.

I'm all for demanding a ticket price rollback, and pointing out when we are being taken advantage of, but this seems much ado about nothing. It's a BMO promotion for a free official jersey. Whatever.

Wait for the ticket pricing to come out - if the prices have been frozen, or god forbid... moved up - then go to town.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phonzo View Post
    Are we scraping the bottom of the barrel just to get riled up about something...christ reminds me of the watch thread.

Those that want it will get it - those that don't won't. I'm honestly awestruck at times at the amount of negativity that can be generated for nothing. Save that passion for other things it's a fucking credit card....
    Bingo!
    And remember the old truisms ... nothing is free and there is a sucker born every minute.
    Last edited by Mark in Ottawa; 09-08-2012 at 06:51 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Assuming that renewals were 8k and assuming all 8k went to every game and the Ticket Exchange here, Kijiji, On-line discount offers like Wagjag or Travelzoo all shut down with no inventory... it's still a very simple financial equation to determine if there is value in buying season tickets. I'll use 2012 pricing as an example.

North End (Non Premium Game) seats sell for $29 in the season ticket package and $35 for single game pricing direct from the Box Office. That's a difference of $6/game/ticket.

Of the 19 games that are in the package, if I end up missing 6 through the summer, I'm paying $455 (incl taxes) to buy those through the box office or $910 for a pair

Those 19 games in the season ticket package (for simplicity ignoring the premium games and CCL discounts) costs me $29 x 19 (games) x 2 or $1102 (pair). Difference of approx $200.

My experience has been that I can't resell my tickets. Therefore, I am making the conscious decision to potentially eat well over $200 for those 6 games by renewing. Worst case scenario, I can save myself $200 by not renewing and go to the same number of games.

Of course, if I can resell on the secondary market then my investment in Season Tickets can be recovered somewhat. But if that is the assumption, then I am also most likely to be able to buy the tickets on that secondary market for the 13 games at a discount below what the box office is offering.

It's supply and demand and they have set prices at an unsustainable level. The prices across the league are a good indicator of what the market is willing to bear. They either listen and do the right thing or we will. Not many are saying that they won't support TFC, they are just going to be doing it on their terms.
    Last edited by Pookie; 09-08-2012 at 07:04 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    It's supply and demand and they have set prices at an unsustainable level. The prices across the league are a good indicator of what the market is willing to bear. They either listen and do the right thing or we will. Not many are saying that they won't support TFC, they are just going to be doing it on their terms.
    This is how I look at it. And with how readily available tickets are these days, it's completely viable.

ST prices need to be majorly rolled back this winter. They HAVE to be. Though to be honest, the "intellectually curious" side of me kind of hopes they don't, just so I can see how far the renewal rate plummets.

Have MLSE ever reduced ticket prices for any of their teams before? I can recall a couple of price freezes, but never going backwards.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, you can't blame MLSE for trying to grab a few more season ticket holders through a promotion. its not a bad promotion, but really, the only way they can attempt to win back people is by reducing the ticket cost by a decent amount (as i gave up my seasons two seasons ago, i'll let others decide what that amount is).

also, use of the credit card is neither mastercard nor MLSE's responsibility...that lies solely with the card holder, and anybody who thinks differently needs to act like an adult.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    This is how I look at it. And with how readily available tickets are these days, it's completely viable.

ST prices need to be majorly rolled back this winter. They HAVE to be. Though to be honest, the "intellectually curious" side of me kind of hopes they don't, just so I can see how far the renewal rate plummets.

Have MLSE ever reduced ticket prices for any of their teams before? I can recall a couple of price freezes, but never going backwards.

- Scott
    They did for the Raptors. About 20-40% depending on the location.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tiberius View Post
    Originally Posted by TorCanSoc

Nice try Dim, but trying to sew FUD (Fear Uncertainty and Doubt) will not work - not only will the 8K STH be dumping tickets but you will have a very highly motivated FO dumping tickets EVERYWHERE. You think the Travelzoo cut rate tickets or the free giveaways of this year will subside with 8K in STH sales??? Dream on - a STH won't be able to give away tickets next year either. It is a fantasy to think that next year, somehow, TFC tickets will become a valuable commodity - just look at the attendance this year - and that is with almost completely prepaid tickets. Mark my words - you will be able to pick up tickets for $2 next year - I easily got them for $10 this year....
    '

Meh...I suppose it makes you feel better to say my opinion is a stalking horse of the FO.......if that's what it takes for you to feel good about yourself, knock yourself out.

From what I understand, most of the cheap azz seats going right now are from SSH. Yes there are deals. That's not what is mostly happening. And, MLSE, newco or old, don't have the corporate history to paper games....with the exception of the Bills in Toronto thing, which was run by a separate group of people in the Rogers universe (see Liverpool vs. TFC).

e.g. The Jays concern themselves with ticket revenue per game, not ticket totals. Yes, they drop some prices, but all to get a certain amount of revenue.

If there are not as many SSH, the supply from that area drops. And, as the SSH total drops, the % of people who will go to every match increases (unless there is some magic thing that makes TFC SSH different then every other sports team SSH in North America that experienced this sort of thing). This is what happened with the Argos, Ti-Cats, Lions in Detroit, Lions in BC, Islanders in the NHL...and many many more.

That is a reality.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'

Meh...I suppose it makes you feel better to say my opinion is a stalking horse of the FO.......if that's what it takes for you to feel good about yourself, knock yourself out.

From what I understand, most of the cheap azz seats going right now are from SSH. Yes there are deals. That's not what is mostly happening. And, MLSE, newco or old, don't have the corporate history to paper games....with the exception of the Bills in Toronto thing, which was run by a separate group of people in the Rogers universe (see Liverpool vs. TFC).

e.g. The Jays concern themselves with ticket revenue per game, not ticket totals. Yes, they drop some prices, but all to get a certain amount of revenue.

If there are not as many SSH, the supply from that area drops. And, as the SSH total drops, the % of people who will go to every match increases (unless there is some magic thing that makes TFC SSH different then every other sports team SSH in North America that experienced this sort of thing). This is what happened with the Argos, Ti-Cats, Lions in Detroit, Lions in BC, Islanders in the NHL...and many many more.

That is a reality.
    Que? I don't get this. less season ticket holders and this results in higher attendance at games? that makes no sense. Og this sounds like something Tom would try to make us believe.
    the game day experience was the big draw at BMO for a lot of people. that atmosphere was created by the supporters that are largely seasons ticket holders. Less SSH = less support = less atmosphere. add a terrible product and the end result is lower overall attendance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Some people just want to see anything connected with TFC as negative.

Some people seem to just want TFC to fail.

And then complain about it.

On a TFC Supporters Forum.

TFC has already failed.

6 Season of crap, going for 7!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my response to the email was one word. I'll leave it your imagination what it was

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a promotion. Take it or don't.

Half the rage in here is about the team, it's lack of direction and prices we don't know about yet.

Let's try and stay on topic.

Myself, I'm not interested in a new shirt or credit card so that's where it ends. I continue to wait for a more valuable announcement from the club.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 09-08-2012 at 12:11 PM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER