Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    This is a promotion. Take it or don't.

Half the rage in hear is about the team, it's lack of direction and prices we don't know about yet.

Let's try and stay on topic.

Myself, I'm not interested in a new shirt or credit card so that's where it ends. I continue to wait for a more valuable announcement from the club.
    Forts, you're being far too sensible and boring. This a forum for over-excitement, fervered ranting and heated spleen venting. Please try and remember that mate!
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    '

Meh...I suppose it makes you feel better to say my opinion is a stalking horse of the FO.......if that's what it takes for you to feel good about yourself, knock yourself out.

From what I understand, most of the cheap azz seats going right now are from SSH. Yes there are deals. That's not what is mostly happening. And, MLSE, newco or old, don't have the corporate history to paper games....with the exception of the Bills in Toronto thing, which was run by a separate group of people in the Rogers universe (see Liverpool vs. TFC).

e.g. The Jays concern themselves with ticket revenue per game, not ticket totals. Yes, they drop some prices, but all to get a certain amount of revenue.

If there are not as many SSH, the supply from that area drops. And, as the SSH total drops, the % of people who will go to every match increases (unless there is some magic thing that makes TFC SSH different then every other sports team SSH in North America that experienced this sort of thing). This is what happened with the Argos, Ti-Cats, Lions in Detroit, Lions in BC, Islanders in the NHL...and many many more.

That is a reality.
    Og, my point was that we need not worry that secondary tickets will dry up next year. It appears to me like 50% of STH are not showing up at TFC games, these days (arguable %, but the number really doesn't matter). If we follow your logic, the % of no shows will decrease - which is true, but the number will easily still be 20%-25%. Unless TFC rockets to the top of the table with their new hoofball strategy, people are going to continue to miss games and want to get something for their tickets, if they can...

Toronto FC games are not going to turn back into "must attend" events next year - life will continue to compete on gameday with TFC next year - even for those 8K Season ticket holders....

On top of that, I predict that MLSE will offer 2 for 1 promotions next year on their unsold tickets - they don't give a rat's ass about their season ticket holders - they only know how to count money. They either don't know, or don't care about the affects of underpricing their tickets below what the STH pays - it is just extra money in the bank to them - short term profit.

BTW - I don't think you are an FO stalking horse - I just think that you worry too much - the cheap tickets will still be there next year!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The secondary market of TFC season ticket holders dumping tickets on forums and craigslist will most likely end.

But the Travelzoo and Groupon deals will continue.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post
    The secondary market of TFC season ticket holders dumping tickets on forums and craigslist will most likely end.

But the Travelzoo and Groupon deals will continue.
    Why would the kijiji/craiglist/forum/ebay ticket market disappear??? It has been there since day 1. The trend is your friend - a flood of tickets this year suggests there will still be a good aftermarket next year - there will always be a need to dispose of tickets, and if the demand market is weak (ie team continues to be hoofball losers), then the prices in the aftermarket will continue to be favourable. You can take that to the bank!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tiberius View Post
    Why would the kijiji/craiglist/forum/ebay ticket market disappear???
    Less inventory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not renewing.
    In season 1, I bought 10 tickets.
    Beginning of this season I was down to 2, which I sold off in April at a small loss.
    I've had enough.
    When I want to go to a match, tickets are readily abundant and often free and I can move around the stadium and sit wherever I please.
    I expect that next season will be no different.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Less inventory.
    I get that logic but does it really seem practical that 100% of those that renew will attend every game? Sun, rain, snow? Through family obligations and kids' soccer practices? If not, then the secondary market is alive and well. And given that tickets can be purchased at the box office for $5-10 more than STHs paid per game, that secondary market will most likely operate at a discount.

I never had an issue picking up extra tickets to compliment my season tickets when the place was sold out and I certainly don't anticipate a problem picking up tickets if I opt to not renew.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tiberius View Post
    Why would the kijiji/craiglist/forum/ebay ticket market disappear??? It has been there since day 1. The trend is your friend - a flood of tickets this year suggests there will still be a good aftermarket next year - there will always be a need to dispose of tickets, and if the demand market is weak (ie team continues to be hoofball losers), then the prices in the aftermarket will continue to be favourable. You can take that to the bank!
    The abundance of tickets available is primarily due to 16,000 ticket holders trying to unload them. Next year we'll likely see far less season tickets sold, so as a result the market will be less flooded with tickets. However, having said that, I'm pretty sure it will still be very, very easy to get tickets. Once Mariner has ruined 2013, though, you will probably only see a few thousand season tickets sold, and this is when the free/cheap tickets will be harder to come by.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    I get that logic but does it really seem practical that 100% of those that renew will attend every game? Sun, rain, snow? Through family obligations and kids' soccer practices? If not, then the secondary market is alive and well. And given that tickets can be purchased at the box office for $5-10 more than STHs paid per game, that secondary market will most likely operate at a discount.

I never had an issue picking up extra tickets to compliment my season tickets when the place was sold out and I certainly don't anticipate a problem picking up tickets if I opt to not renew.
    Sadly, after we went from 4 to 2, to 1 to zero last year, none of us attended a game this season, we had enough....there are enough things in life to get us agitated and angry without having to pay for it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Less inventory.
    I agree the supply (inventory) will go down next year, but the demand is the key factor, and it will still continue to be very weak. The demand is so poor and inventory so large right now that hardly anyone even bothers to try to give/sell their tickets. Next year, even if there are only 500-600 tickets available in the after market for each game - the prices will be low if there are only buyers for 300-400 tickets... A large inventory (like this year), is not neccessary for prices to continue to be low... Over the past 6 years I have purchase lots of tickets to supplement my season tickets - the only thing that will shoot prices up is TFC rocketing to the top of the table and the atmosphere coming back to BMO - i.e. the "demand" part of the equation would have to change dramatically. Realistically, that is just is not going to happen in 2013...

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    The promotion may be the same as Montreal but the bad tastes comes with the circumstances and the fact that the promotion is attached to SSH renewals.

Montreal are competitive (especially at home).

They're lowering prices.

They're giving SSHs reasons to renew. Several of them.

We're the opposite in every way.

Yet our club still expects us to see the same treatment as some kind of reward.

It's just hard to swallow. Free jersey be damned.

Gimme some tangible reasons to renew. Not some more things with a crest on it that you've made people not care about anymore.
    Glad you mentioned it, because that's exactly why there are so many negative reactions to this. As promotions go, it's not a bad idea by any stretch. But the problem is that it appears to be the only concession being made. No word of a price reduction. No apology for another season down the drain or even mention of any town halls were these problems can be addressed. Just a free jersey if you sign up for a credit card. Admittedly it's still early and we might see some development happen on this front, but that's just total speculation at the moment.

If this is an olive branch the club is extending to the people who are ready to turn their backs on this club, then I'm afraid Paul B is going to be in for some uncomfortable news.

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    if you are swayed to renew your season ticket solely based on this promotion, than you are a sucker and an idiot.

However, if you were already going to renew your tickets, than you should game this promotion and get a free jersey. You'd be crazy not to. Just make sure it's an official jersey and not some BMO promotional knock off.

I think a viable option has already been posted in this thread.
    That's a pretty fair way of looking at it.

I get into similar arguments like this with people at work where there is a distinct mistrust between employees and management - not unlike the relationship many fans and supporters currently have with the club. People might be of the mind that you're "selling out" by taking advantage of what's being offered, but who's really losing out here? If you pay your card off and immediately cancel it, well you've just gifted yourself a free TFC jersey for very little effort.

If you want to get ahead, sometime it pays to play the game.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 09-09-2012 at 12:39 AM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevvv View Post
    Holy fuck, what a bunch of moronic crap.

20% is the going rate for BMO mastercard AND TD Visa - lower rates are available elsewhere, or for an additional fee, but it's not a special MLSE scam. The card being offered is the same as the standard BMO MC airmiles or cashback card, with the TFC logo instead of a stylised globe. The jersey - described as the new[ly designed] 2013 TFC jersey - has a value of $120 at retail. That's the MSRP of a non-replica jersey, whether TFC, Impact or WC. This is a blatant attempt to get people to sign up for a mastercard, not their last and final offer to sell season's tickets. They've seen how many people pay for CONCACAF CL, and they've seen how many of the paid tickets actually get used on game days, and they're probably shitting themselves.

Renew or not, this is about a mastercard with the TFC logo, with the possibility of a free jersey if I decide to renew. Maybe I'll immediately retire the card and put it away with my Simpsons, Woolco, and Eatons credit cards.
    Let me repeat: this promotion is aimed at existing season seat holders. ONLY. That means they're talking to you when they say, here, get this card (yes, 19.9 is the going rate on most cards unless you're staff) and you'll get a $120 jersey in return." I think that should trouble you as a season seat holder, because based on their past record, it is very very unlikely that the ownership of this club will offer you anything additional.

But what do I know...

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    The abundance of tickets available is primarily due to 16,000 ticket holders trying to unload them. Next year we'll likely see far less season tickets sold, so as a result the market will be less flooded with tickets. However, having said that, I'm pretty sure it will still be very, very easy to get tickets. Once Mariner has ruined 2013, though, you will probably only see a few thousand season tickets sold, and this is when the free/cheap tickets will be harder to come by.
    None of what you wrote there makes any sense. I've read it three times now, and I still can't make heads or tails of what you're saying.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^TRANSLATION:

"The abundance of tickets available on websites like Craigslist/Kijiji/etc. is largely due to 16k STHs all trying to unload their tickets. Next year fewer STHs will likely be sold, resulting in fewer tickets available on these websites (because there will be fewer STHs trying to unload their tickets). Having said that, he thinks it will still be very easy to get tickets. But once Mariner has destroyed the 2013 season as well, he thinks there will only be a few thousand STHs left, resulting in an even smaller pool for re-sold discounted tickets."

Basically, he thinks the discount market will dry up because there will be fewer season seat holders trying to unload their tickets at discounted prices. When that happens, the only way to get tickets will be from the club, which won't be discounted.

I sort of got a nosebleed the first time I read that paragraph too, haha.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Glad you mentioned it, because that's exactly why there are so many negative reactions to this. As promotions go, it's not a bad idea by any stretch. But the problem is that it appears to be the only concession being made. No word of a price reduction. No apology for another season down the drain or even mention of any town halls were these problems can be addressed. Just a free jersey if you sign up for a credit card. Admittedly it's still early and we might see some development happen on this front, but that's just total speculation at the moment.
    It's just as much speculation that there won't be development on any of these fronts, because as you say yourself - it's still early. So if it's early, how can this already appear to be the only concession being made?

MLSE have earned no favour from the fanbase, and cynicism is completely warranted, but I'm still with those who are saying this has been more than somewhat of an overreaction to a harmless Bank of Montreal promotion.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    None of what you wrote there makes any sense. I've read it three times now, and I still can't make heads or tails of what you're saying.
    LOL sorry, I kinda rushed through that post. Shakes had it right, though.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I'm done. I have 4 season tickets in the South End - a pair in 112 and a pair in 118. Had season tickets since Nov 2006, but three factors have pushed me to give them up:

1. the way the team is run from the top down, specifically Anselmi constantly making panicked, knee jerk reactions as to coach hiring and firing and the headless chicken approach to their playing styles;

2. the price gouging that has gone on since 2007 despite the shit show that item 1 above has created; and

3. the implosion of the after market making it impossible to sell on tickets for games you cannot get to.

I hate the thought of giving up my season tickets, but the apparent retention of Anselmi as the top dog with respect to TFC decisions (see Oldtimer's thread re the new MLSE board etc) means the shit show is going to continue and I cannot consciously spend that much money for MLSE to fuck up the running of the team while price gouging their customer base any longer.

It's sad, but ultimately I don't feel I have any other choice.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, and personally I think that the RPB ticket forums are going to be far less stocked than they ahve ever been before from next seaosn onwards. Look how many people on here are saying that they have or will be giving up their season tickets.

I suggested to the exec several times that they might want to put a floor on ticket prices as well as a cap (no gouging was allowed in the boom times so why is it allowed in reverse in fallow periods?) but was completely ignored each time - didn't even get the courtesy of a response.

Now, the forum may suffer as a result which is kind of backwards when you consider this is a fan's group and exactly the kind of people you want to see going to the games and helping each other to get tickets.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I already own a shirt. I don't have a MasterCard. I use Visa. If this is it, then I'll say they'll be down to 5K in season tickets next year.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll be back and i'm assuming that vast majority of you guys will be back to. The tickets aren't exactly expensive when you compare it other teams in the market, I love live footy, and I love TFC. We hear this same venting every year and every year the season renewals are down but not significantly. We still have 16,000ish SSH which is like top 4 in the league; if as many people left as they said they have on this forum then our SSH would be a fraction of what it is. It takes a special kind of person to spend their time on a message board/forum such as this for their hobby, thats the kind of person who is deeply interested in this team and is likely willing to shell out the $400ish it costs per season to own season seats.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this is a great move by BMO Bank of Montreal... If the end results is more jerseys in the stadium then I am all for it.
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^
    While I agree with most of your post, don't assume everyone on here sits in $400 seats. Some of us fork out much more. Yes, that is our choice, but we still want to see value for being a customer. I'm renewing because the value is still there for me and I still enjoy going. That's why I'll be back. It's not a free jersey offer that would sway me one way or the other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    ^^
    While I agree with most of your post, don't assume everyone on here sits in $400 seats. Some of us fork out much more. Yes, that is our choice, but we still want to see value for being a customer. I'm renewing because the value is still there for me and I still enjoy going. That's why I'll be back. It's not a free jersey offer that would sway me one way or the other.
    Yes, exactly this.

My seats cost $2,000 for the pair. I think we are going to see a lot more people in this price range drop off then in the north or south ends. I predict the red and dark greys will be half empty next season because at this price point, renewing is less justified given current circumstances and this shit management team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    Yes, exactly this.

My seats cost $2,000 for the pair. I think we are going to see a lot more people in this price range drop off then in the north or south ends. I predict the red and dark greys will be half empty next season because at this price point, renewing is less justified given current circumstances and this shit management team.
    You know what, this problem is all ready happening. Look around at TFC games, be it MLS/CCL/Voyageurs, the south end and the corners are full and the rest of the stadium is sparse. The people have spoken and have decided what this product is worth and its somewhere between $20-30. A part of me has hope that if this proposed BMO Field expansion goes through, tickets across the board will go down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    Yes, exactly this.

I think you've already started to see that. Look at the games on tv, you can clearly see the maple leaf of the east stands. But if you sit anywhere, it doesn't feel empty around you. The migration from red and dark grey is well under way. I loved my tickets in 109, but it pained me that a section over at my row level was paying ~400 and I was paying 1000+

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    I'll be back and i'm assuming that vast majority of you guys will be back to. The tickets aren't exactly expensive when you compare it other teams in the market, I love live footy, and I love TFC. We hear this same venting every year and every year the season renewals are down but not significantly. We still have 16,000ish SSH which is like top 4 in the league; if as many people left as they said they have on this forum then our SSH would be a fraction of what it is. It takes a special kind of person to spend their time on a message board/forum such as this for their hobby, thats the kind of person who is deeply interested in this team and is likely willing to shell out the $400ish it costs per season to own season seats.
    The real question is though, what percentage drop off has there been from RPBs (or equivalent) as SSH being replaced by joe public? The FO likely doesn't care - a dollar is a dollar no matter who gives it to you - but look back to 2006 and the way they tried to set up a "genuine" footie ethos among the fan base. It's sad to see the club fall so far from the ideals it started out with.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    It's just as much speculation that there won't be development on any of these fronts, because as you say yourself - it's still early. So if it's early, how can this already appear to be the only concession being made?

MLSE have earned no favour from the fanbase, and cynicism is completely warranted, but I'm still with those who are saying this has been more than somewhat of an overreaction to a harmless Bank of Montreal promotion.

- Scott
    Yeah, that's a fair point, I agree. Maybe a better way to put it is that, so far this is the only offer we've been given, and it's a little underwhelming. But like you said, there could be more to come. And obviously, I'm of the opinion that there should be more to come.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If there isn't more to come, I predict MLSE are going to be in for a rude awakening.

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am part of the 223 exodus! Could someone please verify my statement below.

I'm not too sure if its accurate since I have considerably dropped my beer consumption from Season 2 (Too much!) to Season 6 (Zero!). I was priced out and my liver could also see BMO as a mini rest vacation.

It seemed that my section in S2 had lots more football fans (more noise, more swearing and passion). All that beer might have affected my hearing and what was really happening around me

My experiences for S6, lots of soccer moms and kids around me. I could hear a pin drop during most of the game. Atmosphere is pretty much nil apart of hearing the supporters sections cheering.

On a side note: Im wondering how much a TFC jersey costs to make in China. I would guess around 4$?
    Last edited by asterix606; 09-10-2012 at 07:13 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Belfast_Boy View Post
    Que? I don't get this. less season ticket holders and this results in higher attendance at games? that makes no sense. Og this sounds like something Tom would try to make us believe.
    the game day experience was the big draw at BMO for a lot of people. that atmosphere was created by the supporters that are largely seasons ticket holders. Less SSH = less support = less atmosphere. add a terrible product and the end result is lower overall attendance.
    I think he's saying the percentage of tickets sold that actually get used will increase, as people only buy tickets to games they intend to go to.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha